advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Biden starving American babies while feeding illegal babies
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 13, 2022 03:12AM
Yep, it’s all over outrage propaganda media.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

“They are sending pallets, pallets of baby formula to the border. Meanwhile, in our own district at home, we cannot find baby formula.”

— Rep. Kat Cammack (R-Fla.), on social media, May 12

“While mothers and fathers stare at empty grocery store shelves in a panic, the Biden administration is happy to provide baby formula to illegal immigrants coming across our southern border. This is yet another one in a long line of reckless, out-of-touch priorities from the Biden administration when it comes to securing our border and protecting Americans.”

— Joint statement by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) and National Border Patrol Council (NBPC) President Brandon Judd, May 12

Cammack sparked a furor Thursday when she posted photos that compared what she said were stockpiles of baby formula for undocumented immigrants with empty grocery shelves for Americans in local stores. “You see the American government sending by the pallet thousands and thousands of containers of baby formula to the border, that would make my blood boil,” she said.

The Texas governor, along with other Republicans, quickly jumped on the bandwagon, issuing a joint statement with a president of a labor union that represents Border Patrol agents.

Cammack said she was not blaming the babies — “it is not the children’s fault at all” — but she and Abbott blasted the Biden administration for allowing this happen.

The problem is that the Biden administration is following the law — a law that President Donald Trump also followed (though he wasn’t happy about it).

At issue is something called the Flores consent decree, which began as a class-action lawsuit regarding the treatment of migrant children. The Justice Department negotiated a settlement in 1997 during President Bill Clinton’s administration.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Biden starving American babies while feeding illegal babies
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 13, 2022 07:35AM
Abbott voluntarily self-closed their Michigan Similac plant after it ended up killing some infants via bacterial contamination there. That was in February. And they haven’t reopened yet.

But that’s all Biden’s fault. Yay “free market”.

RollingEyesSmiley5
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 13, 2022 08:04AM
They need something to feed the caged (and uncaged) animals.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 13, 2022 08:27AM
It's because Abbot Labs shut down their plants because of contamination violations.

The GOPers are just using this as an excuse to attack.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 13, 2022 09:01AM
Here’s an argument on this subject that might ring true for certain Retrumplicans at our dinner tables: “I don’t see the problem. The pedophile baby-eating alien reptilian deep state liberals need to keep their dinner fat and tasty. At least this will keep them from eating white Amurican babies.”
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 13, 2022 09:05AM
Behind the scenes the baby formula manufacturers crafted legislation that essentially blocked importation of other brands, while not following the manufacturing standards their own legislation required for imports.

I would not be surprised that immigrants got stacks of pallets of "unapproved formula from foreign suppliers" (likely reported by shills funded by Abbot and others).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 13, 2022 10:26AM

I'd poke my eyes out before voting for these vicious stooges
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 13, 2022 10:36AM
Clearly this shortage is really due to all of these states imposing restrictions on abortions causing more births and demand for formula.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 13, 2022 12:33PM
What’s Behind America’s Shocking Baby-Formula Shortage?
Bacteria, a virus, a trade policy—and a lesson
By Derek Thompson

One:

After the recent deaths of at least two infants from a rare infection, the Food and Drug Administration investigated Abbott, a major producer of infant formula, and discovered traces of the pathogen Cronobacter sakazakii in a Michigan plant. As a result, the FDA recalled several brands of formula, and parents were advised to not buy or use some formula tied to the plant.
Two:

Demand for formula surged as parents hoarded in 2020; then demand fell, leading suppliers to cut back production through 2021; and now, with more new mothers demanding more formula in 2022, orders are surging faster than supply is recovering.eeding” among new mothers, which pushed up demand for formula once again.
Three:

FDA regulation of formula is so stringent that most of the stuff that comes out of Europe is illegal to buy here due to technicalities like labeling requirements. Nevertheless, one study found that many European formulas meet the FDA nutritional guidelines—and, in some ways, might even be better than American formula, because the European Union bans certain sugars, such as corn syrup, and requires formulas to have a higher share of lactose.
U.S. policy also restricts the importation of formula that does meet FDA requirements. At high volumes, the tax on formula imports can exceed 17 percent. And under President Donald Trump, the U.S. entered into a new North American trade agreement that actively discourages formula imports from our largest trading partner, Canada.
This is an excellent article, I recommend reading it but have tried to share the most pertinent info in case you've hit the paywall for this month.
[www.theatlantic.com]

Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 13, 2022 12:39PM
Steve G.
</snip>

The GOPers are just using this as an excuse to attack.

The most pathetic thing about these stunts is that they get votes for the GOP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2022 12:40PM by lost in space.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 13, 2022 01:18PM
$tevie
What’s Behind America’s Shocking Baby-Formula Shortage?
Bacteria, a virus, a trade policy—and a lesson
By Derek Thompson

One:

After the recent deaths of at least two infants from a rare infection, the Food and Drug Administration investigated Abbott, a major producer of infant formula, and discovered traces of the pathogen Cronobacter sakazakii in a Michigan plant. As a result, the FDA recalled several brands of formula, and parents were advised to not buy or use some formula tied to the plant.
Two:

Demand for formula surged as parents hoarded in 2020; then demand fell, leading suppliers to cut back production through 2021; and now, with more new mothers demanding more formula in 2022, orders are surging faster than supply is recovering.eeding” among new mothers, which pushed up demand for formula once again.
Three:

FDA regulation of formula is so stringent that most of the stuff that comes out of Europe is illegal to buy here due to technicalities like labeling requirements. Nevertheless, one study found that many European formulas meet the FDA nutritional guidelines—and, in some ways, might even be better than American formula, because the European Union bans certain sugars, such as corn syrup, and requires formulas to have a higher share of lactose.
U.S. policy also restricts the importation of formula that does meet FDA requirements. At high volumes, the tax on formula imports can exceed 17 percent. And under President Donald Trump, the U.S. entered into a new North American trade agreement that actively discourages formula imports from our largest trading partner, Canada.
This is an excellent article, I recommend reading it but have tried to share the most pertinent info in case you've hit the paywall for this month.
[www.theatlantic.com]

Excellent article, and a very similar one was in the NY Times today that gets into how 3 companies corner this entire market and the largest by far, Abbot, has completely effed up.

For at least emergency relief to get these babies fed, I wish Biden would suspend the FDA labeling rules and import what we need from Europe or elsewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2022 01:19PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: gabester
Date: May 13, 2022 01:29PM
If only there were some natural, safe, time tested, proven way of feeding human infants that didn't involve the government or all these evil corporations nor baby-eating alien paedophile leftists...

I get not everyone can do it, but maybe also not enough people are?

g=
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 13, 2022 02:40PM
gabester
If only there were some natural, safe, time tested, proven way of feeding human infants that didn't involve the government or all these evil corporations nor baby-eating alien paedophile leftists...

While my wife did this with our kids, it's a chore. And sort of impossible to do if you work full time. But i agree, it should be the first option. And It's *much* less expensive than formula. Even a mix is better than not at all. And it does freeze...
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 13, 2022 02:45PM
mrbigstuff
gabester

While my wife did this with our kids, it's a chore. And sort of impossible to do if you work full time. But i agree, it should be the first option. And It's *much* less expensive than formula. Even a mix is better than not at all. And it does freeze...

My wife also did this while working full-time. She used a pump and did store, frozen, quite a bit. (I was a stay at home dad.)

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 13, 2022 02:55PM
We avoided formula as well. IMHO, formula is oversold. I understand it's REALLY oversold in developing countries. There are certainly circumstances where it is needed or preferred, though.
Date: May 13, 2022 03:12PM
The people suffering the most in this horrible and completely avoidable catastrophe are 3 groups. Firstly, parents of infants with health issues that make formula, sometimes specialized formula, the only nutrition that keeps them alive and healthy.

Second, some mothers cannot breastfeed for health reasons.

Lastly, and this is the much bigger group, are women who work low wage jobs to make ends meet. They do not have the time or resources to breastfeed.

Our country does not take care of mothers and babies. We do better with the elderly who have guaranteed minimum income and health insurance. We are about the only developed nation acting this way.
Date: May 13, 2022 04:18PM
Lemon Drop
Our country does not take care of mothers and babies.
Hey, soon we will make sure all those babies can be born whether or not the mom can take care of them. Good for us!

Date: May 13, 2022 04:32PM
Lemon Drop
The people suffering the most in this horrible and completely avoidable catastrophe are 3 groups. Firstly, parents of infants with health issues that make formula, sometimes specialized formula, the only nutrition that keeps them alive and healthy.

Lastly, and this is the much bigger group, are women who work low wage jobs to make ends meet. They do not have the time or resources to breastfeed.

Our country does not take care of mothers and babies. We do better with the elderly who have guaranteed minimum income and health insurance. We are about the only developed nation acting this way.
I found this article that supports your post, with added details.
[www.nbcnews.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2022 04:32PM by $tevie.
Date: May 13, 2022 04:50PM
$tevie
Lemon Drop
Our country does not take care of mothers and babies.
Hey, soon we will make sure all those babies can be born whether or not the mom can take care of them. Good for us!

Seriously.
How much worse are we gonna get?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 13, 2022 05:36PM
Lemon Drop

This, and the irony that the party that is doing the attacking is also pushing for the overturning of a case that would result in even MORE babies being produced. They are pro-birth, but apparently anti-baby, anti-child, and anti-mother.

Not knowing anything about the chemistry of formula (I haven't had a chance to read all the articles), I wonder if this is the kind of thing that factories in this country could be quickly repurposed to make -- if for example they already make a similar product. In the meantime, it DOES seem like there are safe, alternative options: [www.usatoday.com] (the Aussie Bubs stuff sounds especially interesting...)

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 13, 2022 09:39PM
but maybe also not enough people are?

I get that you're just asking the questions.

And as to what 'should be the first option', as I have no skin in the game, I'd say those that do are in the best position to decide what's best for them.

A corollary to 'When men have babies...' should be 'When men breastfeed babies...'

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 13, 2022 10:11PM
Not that corporate Republicans and Democrats would ever pass them but a new round of anti-monopoly laws are long overdue. With our current SCOTUS makeup they wont even pass muster.

This country, more and more, seems headed toward Fritz Lang's Metropolis.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 14, 2022 03:30AM
$tevie
Lemon Drop

I found this article that supports your post, with added details.
[www.nbcnews.com]

And another "yep." from me.

Wife is a normal healthy person but in the second group -- overactive thyroid. Feeding my kids the natural way... didn't work. Physically impossible after the first couple of months.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 135
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020