advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Just another Saturday afternoon in America
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 14, 2022 03:29PM
18 year old white supremacist with multiple rifles shot 8 people, killing at least 7, at a supermarket in Buffalo.

He was livestreaming his bloody adventure on twitch. Whatever that is. He has also posted online manifestos decrying so-called white replacement.

Well, whatever his problem was I guess he solved it now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just another Saturday afternoon in America
Date: May 14, 2022 03:37PM
Now it's 10 people dead at least according to AP.

Shooting happened in a predominantly Black neighborhood.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 14, 2022 03:38PM
The supermarket is in a predominately Black neighborhood, about 3 miles (5 kilometers) north of downtown Buffalo. The surrounding area is primarily residential, with a Family Dollar store and fire station near the store.

Witnesses reported the gunman was wearing military-style clothing and body armor, one of the officials said

Braedyn Kephart and Shane Hill, both 20, pulled into the parking lot just as the shooter was exiting. They described him as a white male in his late teens or early twenties sporting full camo, a black helmet and what appeared to be a rifle.

“He was standing there with the gun to his chin. We were like what the heck is going on? Why does this kid have a gun to his face?” Kephart said. He dropped to his knees. “He ripped off his helmet, dropped his gun, and was tackled by the police.”
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 14, 2022 03:50PM
At least the cops got him.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 14, 2022 03:57PM
A nexus of this atrocity...

Tucker Carlson on White Replacement

“I know that the left and all the gatekeepers on Twitter become literally hysterical if you use the term ‘replacement,’ if you suggest that the Democratic Party is trying to replace the current electorate, the voters now casting ballots, with new people, more obedient voters, from the third world. But, they become hysterical because that’s what’s happening, actually. Let’s just say it: That’s true.”

Subscription required:
[www.nytimes.com]
Date: May 14, 2022 03:59PM
One of his problems apparently was that white women don't have enough babies.

And he chooses the day of national BansOffOurBodies rallies to make his point.
Date: May 14, 2022 04:14PM
peeked over on Fox. After a deluge of hate as the story broke, the commenters, when confronted with the knowledge that the shooter was white with lengthy on-line hate manifestos are STILL insisting that he's Black.
I am awed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2022 04:14PM by Steve G..
Date: May 14, 2022 04:21PM
Steve G.
peeked over on Fox. After a deluge of hate as the story broke, the commenters, when confronted with the knowledge that the shooter was white with lengthy on-line hate manifestos are STILL insisting that he's Black.
I am awed.

Sandy Hook redux? Deny, deny, deny. I hope the gunner praises Tucker, Sean and Laura for inspiring him. It takes a special kind of hate to kill like he did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2022 04:21PM by Speedy.
Date: May 14, 2022 04:25PM
He is also antisemitic. Shades of Dylann Roof, Charlottesville, and online radicalization .

“The actual accusation by the Charlottesville [‘Unite the Right’ rally] organizers that Jews were and are behind an attempt to destroy white, Christian America has been adopted and adapted by racially or ethnically motivated violent extremists in Europe and beyond,” Lipstadt, previously the Dorot Professor of modern Jewish history and Holocaust studies at Emory University, said at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C., on Thursday, adding that the January hostage situation in a Texas synagogue was carried out by an individual who was radicalized abroad. “It’s increasingly hard to differentiate between antisemitism that’s foreign and that which is domestic.”

She warned of growing antisemitism around the globe, cautioning that it “is a threat to the stability of all governments.” 

From jewishinsider.com
Date: May 14, 2022 04:26PM
Steve G.
I am awed.

His photo is all over th he news so that will be hard to keep up.
Date: May 14, 2022 04:42PM
ex-cop security guard tried to shoot him. Body armor stopped the bullets, the white supremacist went on killing.
"Straight up racially motivated hate crime" - stating the obvious at press conference.
Date: May 14, 2022 04:45PM
RIP courageous security guard.

FBI investigating as both hate crime and domestic terrorism/domestic radicalization.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2022 04:45PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 14, 2022 04:59PM
Too bad he didn't have the guts to take out one more, he would have saved everyone a lot of trouble and money.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Date: May 14, 2022 05:11PM
doesn't look like he expected to survive his attack.

"The manifesto fixates on mass immigration.

“Mass immigration and the higher fertility rates of the immigrants themselves are causing this increase in population. We are experiencing an invasion on a level never seen before in history,” it says. “Millions of people pouring across our borders, legally. Invited by the state and corporate entities to replace the White people who have failed to reproduce, failed to create the cheap labor, failed to create new consumers and tax base that the corporations and states need to have to thrive.”

It continues, “This crisis of mass immigration and sub-replacement fertility is an assault on the European people that, if not combated, will ultimately result in the complete racial and cultural replacement of the European people.”

The manifesto, which refers to “white genocide,” contains a name and says that the author is “18 years old as of writing this. I am the sole perpetrator of the recent attempted mass shooting. I lived in Southern Tier, New York all my life with both my parents and 2 brothers. I believe I am ethnically white since my parent’s nationalities are from north-western Europe and Italy. I graduated highschool with a regents diploma with advanced designation and am currently enrolled in SUNY Broome with a major in Engineering Science.”

[heavy.com]
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 14, 2022 05:18PM
Ombligo
Too bad he didn't have the guts to take out one more, he would have saved everyone a lot of trouble and money.

True, but then he would have missed out on all the "friends" he'll make in the big house.

Date: May 14, 2022 05:40PM
Civil rights attorney Ben Crump posted a photo of the killer's rifle. It has a 14, and the n word painted on it.

Not subtle, this guy.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 14, 2022 05:56PM
Just another anomaly. Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 14, 2022 06:45PM
If he claims that he was just there to "protect private property," cries on the witness stand, and gets a judge who is also the president of his fan club, he will be acquitted.
Date: May 14, 2022 07:34PM
Lux Interior
If he claims that he was just there to "protect private property," cries on the witness stand, and gets a judge who is also the president of his fan club, he will be acquitted.

Nah, with Rottenhouse it was the prosecutor more than the judge.

Date: May 14, 2022 07:39PM
He'll get ten life sentences without parole from the state and the death penalty from the federal govt, but it won't be carried out until a Republican is back in the White House.
Date: May 14, 2022 08:50PM
Saturday's massacre in Buffalo is the latest high-profile mass shooting in which authorities have said the suspect was motivated by hate, including attacks at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas; the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh; Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston and the Pulse nightclub in Orlando.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 14, 2022 09:07PM
If anyone is counting: [en.wikipedia.org]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 14, 2022 09:11PM
The far right is always on about "groomers", meet the real "groomers"!
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 14, 2022 10:23PM
Lemon Drop
18 year old white supremacist with multiple rifles shot 8 people, killing at least 7, at a supermarket in Buffalo.

He was livestreaming his bloody adventure on twitch. Whatever that is. He has also posted online manifestos decrying so-called white replacement.

Well, whatever his problem was I guess he solved it now.

Twitch is a platform primarily used for, though not restricted to, live-streaming the playing of video games by individuals and in tournament settings, usually also available as VOD; as well as podcast format chat shows about video games/gaming, pop/geek culture and tech.

It has a significant audience base. Individuals create ‘channels,’ similar to You Tube, which can have very large followings. A single stream of a popular streamer playing can easily have an audience running into the tens of thousands in real time. The most popular streamers can monetize their stream to earn six figures and even beyond for the top tier.

However Twitch also welcomes the small/hobbyist streamer who may have only a handful or fewer viewers for a steam.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: Janit
Date: May 15, 2022 05:43AM
Lemon Drop
doesn't look like he expected to survive his attack.

"The manifesto fixates on mass immigration.

“Mass immigration and the higher fertility rates of the immigrants themselves are causing this increase in population. We are experiencing an invasion on a level never seen before in history,” it says. “Millions of people pouring across our borders, legally. Invited by the state and corporate entities to replace the White people who have failed to reproduce, failed to create the cheap labor, failed to create new consumers and tax base that the corporations and states need to have to thrive.”

It continues, “This crisis of mass immigration and sub-replacement fertility is an assault on the European people that, if not combated, will ultimately result in the complete racial and cultural replacement of the European people.”

The manifesto, which refers to “white genocide,” contains a name and says that the author is “18 years old as of writing this. I am the sole perpetrator of the recent attempted mass shooting. I lived in Southern Tier, New York all my life with both my parents and 2 brothers. I believe I am ethnically white since my parent’s nationalities are from north-western Europe and Italy. I graduated highschool with a regents diploma with advanced designation and am currently enrolled in SUNY Broome with a major in Engineering Science.”

[heavy.com]

<sarcasm>
Doesn't he realize that Italians aren't white?
</sarcasm>
Date: May 15, 2022 08:12AM
Don't think this guy has read much about the history of immigration in the US.
Date: May 15, 2022 08:40AM
Oh here we go. The parents knew their troubled son, who had been in counseling after threatening a mass shooting at his school, had purchased the rifle and other firearms. Long gun purchases are legal at age 18 in New York, no red flag for this kid?? Do they have red flag laws in New York?

Seems an 18 year old with recent threats of violence doesn't need to purchase weapons. But maybe I'm overreacting.

The modifications to his rifle, that made it an even more effective killing machine, are not legal in New York but are legal in neighboring PA.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 15, 2022 08:55AM
Lemon Drop
Don't think this guy has read much about the history of immigration in the US.

Indeed:

Between 1900 and 1915, more than 15 million immigrants arrived in the United States. That was about equal to the number of immigrants who had arrived in the previous 40 years combined. In 1910, three-fourths of New York City's population were either immigrants or first generation Americans (i.e. the sons and daughters of immigrants).

And now it’s a deserted hell-hole.

Oh, wait.

Not only were the numbers of immigrants swelling, the countries from which they came had changed dramatically as well. Unlike earlier immigrants, the majority of the newcomers after 1900 came from non-English speaking European countries. The principal source of immigrants was now southern and eastern Europe, especially Italy, Poland, and Russia, countries quite different in culture and language from the United States,

…a few of who would later take violent action against Black Americans, whose ancestors predominantly arrived in America hundreds of years before. Also, fun fact:

In 1776, African Americans comprised about 20% of the entire [ie free and slave] population in the 13 mainland colonies.

From the 2020 census:

…the Black or African American alone population (41.1 million) accounted for 12.4% of all people living in the United States, compared with 38.9 million and 12.6% in 2010.

Boy, if those sneaky Black folks are trying to take over, they need to step up their game.
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 15, 2022 09:36AM
Lemon Drop
The modifications to his rifle, that made it an even more effective killing machine, are not legal in New York but are legal in neighboring PA.

The town he's from is only about a mile or two from the PA border. People in that town probably travel there regularly.
Date: May 15, 2022 09:52AM
GGD
Lemon Drop

The town he's from is only about a mile or two from the PA border. People in that town probably travel there regularly.

That's one of our big national problems with gun safety. The slacker states hurt everybody. We obviously need comprehensive federal legislation on gun safety. Course needing it won't make it happen.
Date: May 15, 2022 12:30PM
Bottom line is he killed a random group of people and was allowed to surrender, he cashed in on white privilege - not that I envy him his future but he's still breathing.

My guess is that were he a person of any sort of noticeable color the competency hearing or trial would have quickly become a moot point.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 15, 2022 01:22PM
I think it’s safe to say very, very few of us here on MRF have much, if any direct experience with this kind of horror, though I also suspect the number that have is not zero.

News reports, press conferences, etc. obviously can go so far. So, I did what I doubted I’d ever do. I tracked down the video of this incident. Obviously still far from “direct experience”, but as close as I hope I or any of us here we come to it.

Unexpectedly, it seems the shock, disgust, anger, etc. will come later. At the moment the overwhelming effect is perhaps the most profound confusion, tinged with despair, I may have ever felt.

How did we arrive here? How has such a darkness fallen over us? Not just, ‘How could this happen?’. There have always been, and will always be, madman amongst us. But this is not just madmen, this is like a plague of locusts of madness. The stripping away of humanity and reason almost on the scale of some hellish pop-culture trend, like pet rocks or Beanie Babies.

Moment before exiting his car, the teenage murderer works himself up, “Just gotta go for it, right?.” But it’s more like some young man marshaling his courage to ask his longtime crush to prom. Not the prelude to the extinguishing of even a single life, let alone that of so many.

I am, momentarily, lost. My footing in the world less certain than before. 6:57 of video That reduces the saying “A picture is worth 1000 words” to a shopworn cliché a million years behind the events we’re faced with digesting today.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2022 01:27PM by Blankity Blank.
Date: May 15, 2022 01:25PM
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 15, 2022 02:19PM
How did we arrive here? How has such a darkness fallen over us? Not just, ‘How could this happen?’. There have always been, and will always be, madman amongst us. But this is not just madmen, this is like a plague of locusts of madness. The stripping away of humanity and reason

This is what reasonable people, intelligent people, caring people,struggle with understanding. And because of those inherent attributes, those same people will never comprehend such madness. And we must also be thankful of that fact, sad as it may be to changing the course of our current madness.
Date: May 15, 2022 07:31PM
BTW:

Shooting? What shooting?

You mean the mass shooting at a supermarket in Buffalo Saturday…?

We watched Fox News for an hour and a half Sunday morning, from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m., curious to hear their take on this horrific event. Surely there would be something — in the inimitable Fox style. Perhaps an expert saying we shouldn't rush to judgment and call it a hate crime. Or that "woke" liberals were seizing on the event as an opportunity to take away your Second Amendment rights.

We waited and waited.

There was one reference, somewhere between 9:30 a.m. and 10 a.m. A shooting in Buffalo had occurred, Fox told its viewers, and people were dead. But no elaboration, no commentary, no on-the-scene interviews. Perhaps 15 seconds, all told.

… Among the topics that were deemed important enough to merit air time: the baby formula shortage, Biden's "two impeachable offenses," the criminal case against a Clinton-aligned lawyer, Michael Sussmann, the Steele dossier…

Why?

… "The Great Replacement Theory" has been a favorite talking point of Fox News superstar Tucker Carlson for several years now.…

Ah. Right.
Date: May 15, 2022 08:07PM
If you need further motivation to fear the deleterious effect immigration has on our country, look no further that Australian immigrant family the Murdochs.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 15, 2022 09:18PM
I am seriously beginning to wonder if there is something "in the water", so to speak. Like when they learned that lead exposure as a child was one cause of violent behavior.
I do understand about FOX, and Trump, and Tucker Carlson, etc. But at the same time, I wonder if we will eventually find out that there is, in addition, some physical or dietetic or atmospheric change which is causing this steady increase in people deciding to go out and kill human beings en masse.

Posted by: vision63
Date: May 15, 2022 10:01PM
They've been taught that they've become the victims of a country that deifies Black pain and suffering. That their pain is not relevant or important. That no matter how rough life can become for them, it's still better than the pain that Black people suffer. It is, in fact, a privilege to not only suffer the level of pain that a white person suffers but in reality represents little or no pain at all.

It's easy to see how that sentiment can be weaponized by bad characters bent on power and control. It's also easy to see how white people can subscribe to it when all the bad characters do is point out what they're selling as Black hypocrisy regarding crime and other social concerns.

They resent the notion that they're bad or responsible for Black suffering. They don't believe that and they're not going to take it.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 16, 2022 12:50AM
$tevie
I am seriously beginning to wonder if there is something "in the water", so to speak. Like when they learned that lead exposure as a child was one cause of violent behavior.
I do understand about FOX, and Trump, and Tucker Carlson, etc. But at the same time, I wonder if we will eventually find out that there is, in addition, some physical or dietetic or atmospheric change which is causing this steady increase in people deciding to go out and kill human beings en masse.

I too really wonder if there is at least a small environmental component here in the US. Prior to 1968, you could mail order fully automatic firearms with no checks at all. Common thought today is to blame the firearms, but when they were at their most available, and most potentially dangerous, nothing like today was a common occurrence.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 16, 2022 06:04AM
Is this going to be another Rittenhouse type trial?

Grateful11
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 16, 2022 08:11AM
Racer X
$tevie

I too really wonder if there is at least a small environmental component here in the US. Prior to 1968, you could mail order fully automatic firearms with no checks at all. Common thought today is to blame the firearms, but when they were at their most available, and most potentially dangerous, nothing like today was a common occurrence.

Nah. Not at all true, it's the 24/7 "news" cycle, first on tv and now walking around with every person in their back pocket. It's made people insane, thinking that "they" are coming for you. I see this first hand with my mother who watches it for hours continuously every day. (Mom isn't psycho, just hyper nervous.)

Edit: rereading this came off as harsh, didn't mean that, sorry

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2022 05:56PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: gabester
Date: May 16, 2022 09:01AM
mrbigstuff
Racer X
$tevie

I too really wonder if there is at least a small environmental component here in the US. Prior to 1968, you could mail order fully automatic firearms with no checks at all...

...it's the 24/7 "news" cycle, first on tv and now walking around with every person in their back pocket. It's made people insane, thinking that "they" are coming for you...

Another outstanding element is the erosion of public decency. When there are people who litter with impunity, when homelessness is on display at almost every urban intersection, when almost every car on the road is regularly committing moving violations, when politeness is answered with rudeness, when generosity is robbed, when the people who tell others to behave to societal norms are beaten or killed, there's a descending cycle of violation of that public decency. Without public decency it becomes easy for some people to go off the rails entirely and engage in mass murder.

g=
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 16, 2022 09:10AM
mrbigstuff
... it's the 24/7 "news" cycle, first on tv and now walking around with every person in their back pocket. It's made people insane, thinking that "they" are coming for you.

As I posted a year ago:

The root motivation - and justification; conscious or subconscious - for gun ownership is FEAR.
- Fear of the “bad guy”
- Fear of the “others”
- Fear of all unknowns

This fear is expressed at three progressively obsessive states:
1. Caution: They might come!
2. Fear-manifest: They are coming!
3. Paranoia: They are here!

There are also ancillary, fear-related supporting motivations:
- Machismo/manliness - Fear of appearing weak, effeminate
- Peer pressure - Fear of ostracization, being excluded
Date: May 16, 2022 09:12AM
$tevie

Don't underestimate the effects of COVID, both direct and indirect. [www.healthline.com]

Date: May 16, 2022 10:54AM
'Gun shop owner who sold Bushmaster XM-15 to Buffalo shooting suspect said background check showed nothing amiss'
Date: May 16, 2022 01:59PM
PeterB
$tevie

Don't underestimate the effects of COVID, both direct and indirect. [www.healthline.com]

The mass shootings motivated by racial, religious or other animus started well before COVID. But I think that social isolation and boredom coupled with unlimited screen time likely contributed in this case.
Date: May 16, 2022 02:00PM
Grateful11
Is this going to be another Rittenhouse type trial?

No way. He'll get 10 life sentences and the federal death penalty.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 16, 2022 02:32PM
DeusxMac
mrbigstuff
... it's the 24/7 "news" cycle, first on tv and now walking around with every person in their back pocket. It's made people insane, thinking that "they" are coming for you.

As I posted a year ago:

The root motivation - and justification; conscious or subconscious - for gun ownership is FEAR.
- Fear of the “bad guy”
- Fear of the “others”
- Fear of all unknowns

This fear is expressed at three progressively obsessive states:
1. Caution: They might come!
2. Fear-manifest: They are coming!
3. Paranoia: They are here!

There are also ancillary, fear-related supporting motivations:
- Machismo/manliness - Fear of appearing weak, effeminate
- Peer pressure - Fear of ostracization, being excluded

fear of targets? The vast majority of my firearms are target pistols in .22LR, or shotguns inherited from my father and grandfather with 30-32" barrels. You can't conceal those no matter how hard you tried. And the black powder ones? I don't think anyone here has ever heard or read of a mass killing with something that takes 30 seconds to reload 1 shot.

We have had racism here in North America as long as there have been humans here. And the Europeans brought religious prejudices with them. Nothing new.

I do think that being bombarded by BS 24/7 by both the legit media and the home grown media, not to mention the Wild West that is Social Media, has a lot to do with it. One angry person with an agenda can reach an almost limitless number of people. They strike a chord with some, and it spreads.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2022 02:40PM by Racer X.
Date: May 16, 2022 04:29PM
Lemon Drop
PeterB
$tevie

The mass shootings motivated by racial, religious or other animus started well before COVID. But I think that social isolation and boredom coupled with unlimited screen time likely contributed in this case.

Almost certainly it did, because classmates noted that his behavior changed during and after COVID ... apparently he showed up to class one day in a full hazmat suit. We also know that he was heavily involved in a few different social media platforms, spewing hate and probably being influenced by like-minded others.

Edit: more on his social media involvement -- besides Twitch, he was active on Reddit and Discord, and his plan of attack was posted on Mediafire two weeks ago:

[www.washingtonpost.com]
[abcnews.go.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2022 07:08PM by PeterB.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 78
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020