advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
NYC enters ‘high’ COVID alert status
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 17, 2022 11:34AM
Hopefully, this will cause the legions of macho males, dumb teens and some old ladies to mask up and stop believing 'it's all over'. It ain't.

NYC enters ‘high’ COVID alert status
[www.nydailynews.com]

Mayor Adams upgraded New York City’s COVID-19 alert status to high on Tuesday because of a recent surge in people being hospitalized for the virus.

The change in status comes as the number of hospitalizations in the city due to COVID has increased steadily over the past two months and as more and more New Yorkers test positive.

“New York City has transitioned to a high COVID alert level, meaning now is the time to double down on protecting ourselves and each other by making choices that can keep our friends, neighbors, relatives and coworkers from getting sick,” the city’s Health Commissioner Dr. Ashwin Vasan said in a written statement Tuesday.

“As a city, we have the tools to blunt the impact of this wave, including distributing tests, masks and promoting treatments. Getting back to Low Risk depends on everyone doing their part and if we follow guidance, our forecasts anticipate this wave’s peak will not last long. What we do now can make all the difference.”

The upgrade also comes a day after Adams announced that the city would be distributing an additional 16 million at-home test kits over the next month and after Vasan put out an advisory strongly recommending that New Yorkers mask up when in public settings indoors.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: NYC enters ‘high’ COVID alert status
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 17, 2022 12:13PM
interesting. here the midwest hospitalizations have remained flat.

Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 17, 2022 12:14PM
mattkime

give it a few weeks
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 17, 2022 12:25PM
Steve G.
mattkime

give it a few weeks

Our low point infection wise was two months ago (mid march). Our daily average case count is 6.5x higher than mid march. Our hospitalization count is up about 10% from that low point.

Fingers crossed.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 17, 2022 04:06PM
Are there or will there be any stats on how many of the hospitalized were unvaccinated?

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 17, 2022 04:07PM
Everyone is now contracting this variant. Coming soon to a household near you. Fortunately, it's much less debilitating compared to the first wave.
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 17, 2022 05:24PM
I am supposed to go to NYC this weekend to see my daughter and her SO and visit their new place they just recently bought.
We aren’t planning on going anywhere, but I need to talk to her when she gets back from Thailand tomorrow and see what she thinks.
I suspect she will say come anyway, but we will see.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: May 17, 2022 07:17PM
rgG
I am supposed to go to NYC this weekend to see my daughter and her SO and visit their new place they just recently bought.
We aren’t planning on going anywhere, but I need to talk to her when she gets back from Thailand tomorrow and see what she thinks.

This is what the rapid tests are really designed for - going out. It would be a pity to be in NYC and not go out.
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 17, 2022 07:37PM
mrbigstuff
rgG

This is what the rapid tests are really designed for - going out. It would be a pity to be in NYC and not go out.

Well, I also screwed up my knee a few days ago, so it will have to be somewhere close not like our usual 10,000 steps a day visit. I think she wants me to help hang some pics, so pretty much home stuff. Lol
I can go back some other time to do the going out stuff.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 17, 2022 10:52PM
mattkime

Wisconsin is not the entire midwest.

The state of Michigan only updates once a week now on Wednesdays, but last week's update showed hospitalizations up 16% week to week. We'll see what this week brings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2022 01:58PM by AllGold.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 18, 2022 08:29AM
mrbigstuff
Everyone is now contracting this variant. Coming soon to a household near you. Fortunately, it's much less debilitating compared to the first wave.

Careful. It all depends on your own personal situation... for those over 65 or people with underlying conditions, it could be just as bad as earlier waves. [www.aarp.org]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: May 18, 2022 08:37AM
PeterB
mrbigstuff

Careful. It all depends on your own personal situation... for those over 65 or people with underlying conditions, it could be just as bad as earlier waves. [www.aarp.org]

I am including a bunch of over-65s in my accounting, as everyone is getting it around here. Something like 20x the amount from what I heard over Delta. So, the hospitalization rate is far, far less than it was. Still, not enjoyable for many, while others are hardly exhibiting any symptoms.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: May 18, 2022 10:34AM
It's curious. In Los Angeles County, the hospitalization rate has dropped more than 6-fold, and the death rate maybe 30-50 fold since February. And as I've mentioned previously, the local population is largely dropping the indoor masking except where it is required. If you look at the graph for death rate on the county website:

[www.publichealth.lacounty.gov]

The curve is an exponential decrease with a half life of two weeks. I looked at the peak at 80, then 40, 20, and 10, and the conclusion is obligate. What the physical, real world reasons underlying this decrease are are speculative, but the result is pretty clear. My guess is that we are seeing a combination:

greater than 90% of seniors are fully vaccinated
Greater than 70% of the entire population are fully vaccinated
I'm guessing that everyone else has been exposed to one of the new variants, which are known to be lots more contagious and less lethal.

We are certainly out of the earlier period when hospitals were worried that they would run out of room. The county says that there are fewer than 400 people hospitalized for Covid right now. For some reason we're not seeing statistics on what fraction of them have never been vaccinated, or how many had it previously.
Date: May 18, 2022 10:57AM
mrbigstuff
PeterB
mrbigstuff

I am including a bunch of over-65s in my accounting, as everyone is getting it around here. Something like 20x the amount from what I heard over Delta. So, the hospitalization rate is far, far less than it was. Still, not enjoyable for many, while others are hardly exhibiting any symptoms.

Right, but how much of that is because of the over-65's being fully vaccinated, as Ca Bob points out?

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 18, 2022 12:39PM
Ca Bob
It's curious. In Los Angeles County, the hospitalization rate has dropped more than 6-fold, and the death rate maybe 30-50 fold since February. And as I've mentioned previously, the local population is largely dropping the indoor masking except where it is required. If you look at the graph for death rate on the county website:

The curve is an exponential decrease with a half life of two weeks. I looked at the peak at 80, then 40, 20, and 10, and the conclusion is obligate. What the physical, real world reasons underlying this decrease are are speculative, but the result is pretty clear. My guess is that we are seeing a combination:

I'm guessing that everyone else has been exposed to one of the new variants, which are known to be lots more contagious and less lethal.

We are certainly out of the earlier period when hospitals were worried that they would run out of room. The county says that there are fewer than 400 people hospitalized for Covid right now. For some reason we're not seeing statistics on what fraction of them have never been vaccinated, or how many had it previously.

However something to keep aware of is the 3-4x increase in daily infections since March which is continuing to trend up. My assumption is this is partially from reduced masking/distancing but maybe more from the new but not especially different Omicron subvariant? Hard to know for sure.

Infection rates are going up in the most populous states that are continuing to do daily updates. NY saw it first, then FL, PA, IL, then CA, and TX started recently.

Just stay aware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2022 04:20PM by Lew Zealand.
Date: May 18, 2022 02:01PM
PeterB
mrbigstuff
PeterB
mrbigstuff

Right, but how much of that is because of the over-65's being fully vaccinated, as Ca Bob points out?

Oh, I am sure that has a lot to do with it, never said otherwise.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 19, 2022 03:38AM
PeterB
mrbigstuff

Here I thought that AARP catered to the more enlightened, educated, "liberal" older adult, yet the comments are full of Covid deniers, antivaxxers and Lets Go Brandon types.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 19, 2022 04:43AM
Sam3
PeterB
mrbigstuff

Here I thought that AARP catered to the more enlightened, educated, "liberal" older adult, yet the comments are full of Covid deniers, antivaxxers and Lets Go Brandon types.

AARP does but there is still a very high percentage of demented, deplorable older types.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: May 19, 2022 09:04AM
Speedy
Sam3
PeterB
mrbigstuff

AARP does but there is still a very high percentage of demented, deplorable older types.

Yep. Age does not always translate into wisdom, and commenters always have opinions, and opinions are like, well, you know... everyone has one. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2022 09:04AM by PeterB.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 20, 2022 12:41AM
Ca Bob

Hospitals in L.A. County are on the rise again: [www.latimes.com]

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020