advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Got my second booster this past weekend
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 18, 2022 06:24AM
Had Pfizer initially. Then a Moderna booster. The second booster was Pfizer. The weird thing was this time it hurt. Not screaming in agony hurt. But like a flu shot. The last three I'd gotten, I'd barely even noticed I got stuck. It's like they ran out of the tiny needles and just used a regular one or something. Didn't even have as bad a side effects. Normally my arm is just super sore, but this time, not so much.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Got my second booster this past weekend
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 18, 2022 07:45AM
Sometimes it depends on if your arm muscle was slightly tensed up when they poked you. Could also have been a bigger needle, as you say.
Guess the good news is, less arm pain.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 18, 2022 08:05AM
I massage the arm a lot in the hour after any vaccine. Seems to help prevent lasting soreness. My last Shingrix I got busy and did not do that, and it hurt for the next two days. That's my anecdote and I'm sticking to it.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 18, 2022 08:06AM
Between donating blood and allergy shots I think I know a thing or two about being stuck with a needle. Sometimes it hurts and sometimes it doesn't and there's little rhyme or reason to it. Smaller needles are less likely to hurt but they still might. Recently a nurse mentioned that it might be alcohol that didn't yet evaporate.

Posted by: testcase
Date: May 18, 2022 08:19AM
I'm guessing that DIFFERENT technicians administered the various vaccinations? There is a WIDE disparity of the skill sets different techs bring to the table when "stabbing" patients.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: May 18, 2022 09:23AM
Pfizer says the boosters are good for 3 to 4 weeks. Why bother?
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: May 18, 2022 09:26AM
The person administering the shot has something to do with it. When I got allergy shots one nurse was able to slide it in without me feeling it ever and another it felt like I was being stabbed every.single.time.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: May 18, 2022 09:28AM
Mr645

This is why I'm waiting until my trip up to NJ is finalized. Rather be boosted for that trip since the numbers are going up in the NYC area again.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 18, 2022 09:32AM
....maybe your muscles got bigger....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 18, 2022 09:52AM
Mr645

What we know about the efficacy of a fourth shot

In authorizing a fourth shot, the FDA considered still-emerging data, from both the U.S. and Israel, that don’t paint a definitive picture about whether an additional dose is necessary for most people. On one hand, there are troubling signs that the immunity provided by the vaccines is starting to wane, which could make people more vulnerable to COVID-19’s more severe effects. Recent data published by the CDC, for example show that protection against hospitalization for COVID-19 waned even after a booster dose of either the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines. From Aug. 2021 to Jan. 2022—a time span that includes waves of both Delta and Omicron variants—the booster was 91% effective at protecting against hospitalization in the first two months after people received it, but dropped to 78% four months after the shot. The vaccine efficacy against emergency room and urgent care visits for COVID-19 symptoms followed a similar decline, from 87% up to two months after the booster to 66% four to five months after the booster.

[time.com]

I don't see anything about "good for 3 to 4 weeks."
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 18, 2022 10:45AM
Acer
I massage the arm a lot in the hour after any vaccine. Seems to help prevent lasting soreness. My last Shingrix I got busy and did not do that, and it hurt for the next two days. That's my anecdote and I'm sticking to it.

Both of my Shingirx shots caused strong reactions for a few days, and if I recall correctly included a fever too.

Recently at a doctor visit they said I was overdue for the TDAP and Pneumonia shots and gave me both. The nurse said that one of them causes a reaction and would use my left arm for that and the other that shouldn't bother me would go into my dominant right arm.

Either she got them backwards or my body reacted differently because it was my right arm that was hurting for a few days and my left arm was fine.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: May 18, 2022 11:49AM
I got TDAP and 2nd Pneumonia yesterday, and just some soreness.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: May 18, 2022 01:05PM
The most important thing I do to reduce pain when giving an injection is to put the needle in quickly and decisively. A slow entrance hurts a lot more.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 18, 2022 02:22PM
Acer
Mr645

What we know about the efficacy of a fourth shot

In authorizing a fourth shot, the FDA considered still-emerging data, from both the U.S. and Israel, that don’t paint a definitive picture about whether an additional dose is necessary for most people. On one hand, there are troubling signs that the immunity provided by the vaccines is starting to wane, which could make people more vulnerable to COVID-19’s more severe effects. Recent data published by the CDC, for example show that protection against hospitalization for COVID-19 waned even after a booster dose of either the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines. From Aug. 2021 to Jan. 2022—a time span that includes waves of both Delta and Omicron variants—the booster was 91% effective at protecting against hospitalization in the first two months after people received it, but dropped to 78% four months after the shot. The vaccine efficacy against emergency room and urgent care visits for COVID-19 symptoms followed a similar decline, from 87% up to two months after the booster to 66% four to five months after the booster.

[time.com]

I don't see anything about "good for 3 to 4 weeks."

Of course you don't because he's just making @#$%& up.
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 18, 2022 03:39PM
Israel study of effectiveness of second booster:

[www.nejm.org]

Maximum protection against confirmed infection by omicron variant reached by the fourth week post-injection. It reduced to the same level as those not getting the second booster injection by 8 weeks. So, it doesn't last nearly as long as the first booster.

Interestingly, they say that protection against severe illness does not decline at 6 weeks but are silent as to severe illness at 8 weeks. I'm not sure why they were able to measure confirmed infections at 8 weeks but not severe illness at 8 weeks.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 18, 2022 06:51PM
Would be nice if they rolled out an Omicron specific booster.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 19, 2022 02:35AM
pRICE cUBE
Would be nice if they rolled out an Omicron specific booster.

Whoa, quit talking sense. Nobody is getting the original or first few varieties of COVID45 anymore.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 19, 2022 06:44AM
Acer
My last Shingrix I got busy and did not do that, and it hurt for the next two days. That's my anecdote and I'm sticking to it.

mmm...forgot about that one. I need to do that too.

Date: May 19, 2022 08:41AM
My daughter expects to get her third booster tomorrow at her annual primary care physician physical. She is five months post second booster and should qualify for the third because of her kidney transplant - four months between doses.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 19, 2022 09:25AM
Mr645

Do you really care that little for people around you that might become infected?
Oh right - the shot doesn't keep people from getting the virus. It does seem to keep them safe(r) from serious effects of the virus and might even keep a few alive but I guess that doesn't count, unless you're maybe one of those who might not survive. Both my wife and I are among those who might not.

Have you always been a self-centered selfish prick and unwilling to share that about yourself or is it that current day political opinion boundaries now allow you to openly express your true self openly to others?
Date: May 19, 2022 09:50AM
Could be both.

Date: May 19, 2022 08:25PM
RgrF
Mr645

Do you really care that little for people around you that might become infected?
Oh right - the shot doesn't keep people from getting the virus. It does seem to keep them safe(r) from serious effects of the virus and might even keep a few alive but I guess that doesn't count, unless you're maybe one of those who might not survive. Both my wife and I are among those who might not.

Have you always been a self-centered selfish prick and unwilling to share that about yourself or is it that current day political opinion boundaries now allow you to openly express your true self openly to others?

I would suggest getting a booster every 3 to 4 weeks then. Also, get your flu shot since more Americans die each day from the Flu than Covid now
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 20, 2022 03:25AM
Mr645
RgrF
Mr645

I would suggest getting a booster every 3 to 4 weeks then. Also, get your flu shot since more Americans die each day from the Flu than Covid now

Cite? Sources?

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Date: May 20, 2022 08:19AM
Sam3
Mr645
RgrF
Mr645

Cite? Sources?
[www.post-gazette.com]

[news.yahoo.com]
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 20, 2022 10:10AM

e pluribus unum

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2022 10:12AM by Ted King.
Date: May 20, 2022 03:19PM
Immunosuppressed daughter got her third booster today. She has a ‘commitment’ ceremony on July 9 where a few antivaxxers will be present. Although she would prefer it to be a wedding ceremony, she can’t afford to marry because she would lose her Social Security Disability Income.

Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 20, 2022 05:44PM
Speedy
Immunosuppressed daughter got her third booster today. She has a ‘commitment’ ceremony on July 9 where a few antivaxxers will be present. Although she would prefer it to be a wedding ceremony, she can’t afford to marry because she would lose her Social Security Disability Income.

Congratulations to your daughter. I hope everyone has a happy and safe day.

e pluribus unum
Date: May 20, 2022 07:09PM
Ted King
Speedy

Congratulations to your daughter. I hope everyone has a happy and safe day.

Cases are on the rise but at least the ceremony will be outdoors.

Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: May 24, 2022 12:45AM
Got my second booster today!

This 9 minute MSNBC video from last week I found to be useful regarding vaccines now and in the fall:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2022 12:47AM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 24, 2022 03:28AM
The comments are idiotic. barf smiley

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020