advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Good news/bad news out of GA guv race
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 19, 2022 04:59PM
The good news? Trump's endorsement of Sonny David Perdue (and David’s embrace of Trump) have had an effect:

Trump, meanwhile, has campaigned for Perdue and thrown money into the race. His political action committee and other Trump-aligned groups have boosted the campaign and funded TV advertisements hammering Kemp.

What effect, exactly? A ten-point shift down for Perdue:

Sixty percent of Georgia Republican primary voters prefer Kemp, compared with 28 percent who say they support Perdue. It’s a notable shift from March, when 50 percent of voters said they preferred Kemp, while 39 percent selected Perdue as their favorite.

The bad news? Well, Kemp is probably a better candidate against Stacy Abrams than loony Perdue. But Kemp squashing the MAGA candidate in the GOP primary may keep some of the MAGAt at home in the fall...

PS - it's a Faux News poll - who knows what their agenda is right now.

PPS - thanks to LD and others below for getting me straight on my Perdues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2022 12:12AM by pdq.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Good news/bad news out of GA guv race
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 19, 2022 05:52PM
It's David Perdue, former US Senator who was defeated by Jon Ossoff. He's the one running against Kemp.

Sonny is his first cousin, Sonny isn't running for Guv, he's already had that job. He was Trump's Sec of Ag.
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 19, 2022 07:11PM
In GA you can vote in either primary, so I crossed over and voted for Kemp, to make sure David Perdue, not former governor Sonny Perdue, didn't get on the ticket.
I agree that Kemp has a better chance against Abrams, but we can't risk that toady Perdue even possibly getting elected.
I also voted for Raffensberger to keep another T**** toady from getting the nomination. Who knows what a Trumpocite would do as Secretary of State.
I saw in the paper where in the early voting it looked like 7% of people who had voted Democratic in a previous election had crossed over to vote in the Republican primary. Since Abrams has the nomination locked up, it seemed a better use of my vote.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 19, 2022 07:47PM
Lemon Drop
It's David Perdue, former US Senator who was defeated by Jon Ossoff. He's the one running against Kemp.

Sonny is his first cousin, Sonny isn't running for Guv, he's already had that job. He was Trump's Sec of Ag.

Sonny has a new job. He's now the Chancellor of the University System of Georgia (USG). He has been acting like he has the best interest of the students and employees at heart (so far!). The USG made negative national news several months ago with a change in the post-tenure evaluation processes. Sonny came in after the decision was made and explained it in a way that calmed down a bunch of faculty that I know. Still, I think I'm glad I retired before the USG hired a politician as our academic leader.

[www.usg.edu]
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 20, 2022 01:27AM
Trump washes hands of Perdue in Georgia as his campaign limps into final stretch

Trump, who recruited Perdue to challenge GOP Gov. Brian Kemp, groused about a lackluster effort and won't make any more appearances ahead of Tuesday's vote, sources said.

As noted above, Trump’s endorsement in neighboring Georgia hasn’t done squat. But wait:

Sarah Palin endorses David Perdue in Georgia governor’s race

Well, that will surely put Perdue over the top. RollingEyesSmiley5

Help us, Obi Wan Palin - you’re our only hope.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 20, 2022 06:38AM
Perdue’s last check to Pres. Trump must have bounced.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: steve...
Date: May 20, 2022 12:15PM
Hope that the Trump Purdue endorsement here is a sign of things to come in other races.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 20, 2022 01:42PM
Michael
Lemon Drop

Sonny has a new job. He's now the Chancellor of the University System of Georgia (USG). He has been acting like he has the best interest of the students and employees at heart (so far!). The USG made negative national news several months ago with a change in the post-tenure evaluation processes. Sonny came in after the decision was made and explained it in a way that calmed down a bunch of faculty that I know. Still, I think I'm glad I retired before the USG hired a politician as our academic leader.

[www.usg.edu]

I wouldn't be thrilled with him in that role either.

Politicians and higher ed: frequently not a match made in heaven. Gov. McMaster made a mess at USC when he brought in the former head of West Point to be Chancellor. He had no PhD or research experience and made a fool of himself in short order, and left ahead of getting fired.
[www.nytimes.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 85
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020