advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Oklahoma governor signs nation’s strictest abortion ban (women's rights? what rights?)
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 25, 2022 07:34PM
WE control your bodies...not you!

Oklahoma governor signs nation’s strictest abortion ban
[www.politico.com]

OKLAHOMA CITY — Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt on Wednesday signed into law the nation’s strictest abortion ban, making the state the first in the nation to effectively end availability of the procedure.

State lawmakers approved the ban enforced by civil lawsuits rather than criminal prosecution, similar to a Texas law that was passed last year. The law takes effect immediately upon Stitt’s signature and prohibits all abortions with few exceptions. Abortion providers have said they will stop performing the procedure as soon as the bill is signed.

“I promised Oklahomans that as governor I would sign every piece of pro-life legislation that came across my desk and I am proud to keep that promise today,” the first-term Republican said in a statement. “From the moment life begins at conception is when we have a responsibility as human beings to do everything we can to protect that baby’s life and the life of the mother. That is what I believe and that is what the majority of Oklahomans believe.”

Abortion providers across the country have been bracing for the possibility that the U.S. Supreme Court’s conservative majority might further restrict the practice, and that has especially been the case in Oklahoma and Texas.

“The impact will be disastrous for Oklahomans,” said Elizabeth Nash, a state policy analyst for the abortion-rights supporting Guttmacher Institute. “It will also have severe ripple effects, especially for Texas patients who had been traveling to Oklahoma in large numbers after the Texas six-week abortion ban went into effect in September.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oklahoma governor signs nation’s strictest abortion ban (women's rights? what rights?)
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 25, 2022 09:36PM
...and that is what the majority of Oklahomans believe.

I doubt that's true.

Then again, maybe Oklahoma really is that effed up.

Re: Oklahoma governor signs nation’s strictest abortion ban (women's rights? what rights?)
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 25, 2022 11:33PM
Gosh, if only women had the right to vote in Oklahoma (and used it), maybe shit like this wouldn't happen!
==
Posted by: Diana
Date: May 26, 2022 01:04AM
Ok. Rant on:

This is a heavily red state; the color red as in crimson is celebrated here. Heavily traditional, heavily religious… making people THINK is damn near impossible. Vote as you believe, and since you never thought about anything but as you’ve been taught, it’s easy! Don’t make waves. Don’t be different, or you will be ridiculed … treated as if you have lost your mind … ostracized even.

Good girls don’t put out. Good girls are frigid and just need to loosen up. When they do, they become bad girls. Bad girls are easy. Bad girls put out. Bad girls get pregnant. Bad girls are evil and must be controlled. Good girls never speak up, and never contradict their betters, even when their betters are WRONG. Once you get married, and marriage is expected here, you don’t contradict your husband, or you are a shrew and no one likes a shrew.

People in this state are idiots, being led by the nose by idiots they elected. And they say the other party is everything they really are: ignorant, unthinking of the future, want to spend what they don’t have, looking for a utopia that only fools would live in, all the while priding themselves on their frugality and making do with what they have. Freedoms! You can’t take their Freedoms away from them!!?!! But, I NEED stuff. So I have to work and be productive and get mine, so I can feel pride that I am useful and look at those who are less fortunate than me, why can’t they just work harder and get somewhere???!!! Because the guvmint is evil and we don’t want no handouts! So they just need to get up off their butts and WORK!!!!

Easier to let someone else do your thinking. Easier to only think of yourself. It gets complicated when you have to think about others. And oh yeah, bad things only happen to others, not ME because I live in a reality I have created and only good things happen here! Yeah, and I’m gonna win the lottery and be rich!

Seriously, I vote the way I think would be best for the country, you know, the USofA, not just Oklahoma. Some of the things I vote for won’t be for me, not because I don’t live here, but because others do. For instance, abortion would be hard thing for me to do (even back when I was young enough to have children) but others live here and since they have lives of their own, I find it necessary to have it available. Not everyone can afford a child. Not everyone wants one. A single mistake and you pay for it for the rest of your life. A victim of a crime doesn’t need to be constantly reminded (or punished, if you think about it) for someone else’s actions. A fetus that died in utero doesn’t need to be carried for weeks or longer. And I don’t have the right to dictate to someone else, even in matters of this nature. Any religious beliefs I may have do not get pressed on another. And if you really think about it, a fetus also fits into the category of a parasite just as easily as a human life, especially pre viability.

The problems run deep in the American culture, especially as it is lived here. I will not talk politics around this state. I have little good to say, and as my mother taught me: if you have nothing good to say, don’t say anything at all.

Rant, continued, but winding down:

Yes, I know: that’s a problem.

Overtly pushing is likely to get you hurt. And then they’ll say “you brought it onto yourself” all the while wondering why their lives are as they are. Reason may work, but only if you are able to phrase it right.

Stitt is an idiot’s idiot. Our Congresscritters aren’t any better, but there is an active re-election going on, and the cronyism and outright corruption in this state is getting exposed, with Stitt’s name attached. One said Congresscritter is also up for re-election. Lankford, the idiot who sent me the form letter regarding abortion that I posted about earlier. It will be interesting to see what happens, but I won’t let it surprise me if things go the way they look like they are going.

Rant finished. I’m tired now.

Need to “research” the candidates now.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 26, 2022 09:06AM
A letter-writer (not me) in the local dead-tree paper today had a suggestion, which while not new, was pretty well formulated.

If the government is asserting control over a woman’s body, it should remember that it takes two to get pregnant. Women should have the right to prove paternity by requiring the father to submit to genetic testing. If the man is confirmed as the father, he pays for the cost of the test, and for half of the support of the child through the age of 18, regardless of the parents’ marital status. If the test rules out the paternity of the man, the woman has to pay for the test (and, if you want, a small compensation for the man’s time).

Such testing is not very expensive these days, and not very invasive (like, a cheek swab) - personally, I don’t see a 4th Amendment issue, given the stakes. And it shouldn’t require a lawyer or legal action.

Seems oddly reasonable to me.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 26, 2022 10:38AM
pdq
A letter-writer (not me) in the local dead-tree paper today had a suggestion, which while not new, was pretty well formulated.

If the government is asserting control over a woman’s body, it should remember that it takes two to get pregnant. Women should have the right to prove paternity by requiring the father to submit to genetic testing. If the man is confirmed as the father, he pays for the cost of the test, and for half of the support of the child through the age of 18, regardless of the parents’ marital status. If the test rules out the paternity of the man, the woman has to pay for the test (and, if you want, a small compensation for the man’s time).

Such testing is not very expensive these days, and not very invasive (like, a cheek swab) - personally, I don’t see a 4th Amendment issue, given the stakes. And it shouldn’t require a lawyer or legal action.

It still doesn't, and shouldn't matter. These anti-abortion laws are subjugating women. Bringing in other "man paternity" laws to try to even out the situation do not change the fact that women are losing the right to have a say over their body. If anything, this normalizes anti-abortion laws.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 26, 2022 11:39AM
Sam3
pdq

It still doesn't, and shouldn't matter. These anti-abortion laws are subjugating women. Bringing in other "man paternity" laws to try to even out the situation do not change the fact that women are losing the right to have a say over their body. If anything, this normalizes anti-abortion laws.

Well, I agree - it's more of a sauce-for-the-gander statement. Because regardless of precedent, and regardless of public opinion, right now the SCOTUS is cooking up a hell of a sauce for the goose.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 26, 2022 11:39AM

“From the moment life begins at conception is when we have a responsibility as human beings to do everything we can to protect that baby’s life and the life of the mother.”

So, at what point will they create "pregnancy prisons" where all pregnant women go so that they can protect the baby's life during the pregnancy. Otherwise, how do you prevent the women from doing irresponsible and harmful actions such as drinking and smoking during the pregnancy that might harm the baby?
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 26, 2022 02:34PM
Gareth

“From the moment life begins at conception is when we have a responsibility as human beings to do everything we can to protect that baby’s life and the life of the mother.”

So, at what point will they create "pregnancy prisons" where all pregnant women go so that they can protect the baby's life during the pregnancy. Otherwise, how do you prevent the women from doing irresponsible and harmful actions such as drinking and smoking during the pregnancy that might harm the baby?

Lefty trash fake news.

The reality.
  • ”Prenatal spas”, entirely at state expense.
  • ”Gourmet tasting menu/“Small plate” meals provided daily created by experts in large scale nutritional management.
  • Healthful daily activity such as gardening in the spa’s vegetable garden and metal work creating bespoke luxury vehicle identification plates.
  • ’Summer camp’ style communal dormitories, calling back to the carefree days of youth.
  • The latest in chic, “on point” camp attire in a vibrant monotone palette.

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. I’d go on, but I don’t want any snowflake brains to explode.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 26, 2022 03:08PM
“From the moment life begins at conception is when we have a responsibility as human beings to do everything we can to protect that baby’s life and the life of the mother."

If life begins at conception and they have a responsibility as human beings to do everything to protect the "baby's" life, then why did they make exceptions for rape and incest? Evidently, if a "baby" is the result of rape or incest then that "life" doesn't count. The fact that they were willing to make those exceptions means that they don't really embrace the supposed principle ("life begins at conception") that the law in based on.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 26, 2022 06:12PM
I've been saying — Handmaid's Tale is sounding more and more like a thing.

It's not just women who should get out and vote.

Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: May 26, 2022 07:34PM
Seems to me that if they aren’t willing to take away the gunzs then they aren’t doing everything possible to protect lives.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020