advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Re: "Don’t Talk to Me About ‘Civility.’ On Tuesday Morning Those Children Were Alive."
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 29, 2022 07:20PM
Our district schools have monthly unannounced lockdown drills. A scenario was given (gunman in A-wing moving to...) then each teacher decides whether to barricade or evacuate.

Each staff member was given an alarm card, when pressed it immediately initiated a lockdown, and law enforcement was notified automatically. There were alarms throughout campus that would go off as well so students in the halls or outdoors were aware.

The biggest failure point IMHO was that everything was controlled by the front desk, which was also the main entry point for someone to get on campus. Take out that secretary and you lose command & control.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Don’t Talk to Me About ‘Civility.’ On Tuesday Morning Those Children Were Alive."
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 29, 2022 08:38PM
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 30, 2022 04:44AM
Acer

Nah, Canada had 1/69th the population the USA does.

Canada 38m divided by USA 335m = 1/69.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2022 04:44AM by Speedy.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 30, 2022 05:13AM
Speedy
Acer

It’s late, but I think you need to check your math.

Current Canadian population. 37,894,799
Current US population: 332,278,200

332,278,200 x 11.4%= 38,879,715
332,278,200 x 1/9= ~37,000,000

(Here’s hoping my math isn’t too sleep deprived. big grin smiley )

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 30, 2022 08:44AM
Blankity Blank
Speedy
Acer

To complete the comparison math...

If the U.S. had 200 school shootings, and Canada has 11.4% the population of the U.S., then to be equivalent, Canada would have had 11.4% of the school shooting of the U.S..
XXXX 200 x 11.4% = 23 XXXX Over 7 times more than what they actually had!
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: May 30, 2022 09:37AM
In today's news: interview with a 9-year-old survivor:
"Daniel, 9...told CNN the gunman fired several shots into his classroom after being unable to enter. The door had been locked by his teacher, and the bullets fired struck the teacher as well as a classmate...Daniel survived by first "hiding under a table next to the wall." He said he could see the gunman through the door's window...Daniel later climbed out of a broken window to escape, cutting his hand on some glass, he said, and the two people injured in his class would survive."

what's that again about locking a door is pointless?
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 30, 2022 09:45AM
The door wouldn't matter if the perp didn't have a gun.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: May 30, 2022 10:01AM
Acer
The door wouldn't matter if the perp didn't have a gun.

agree smiley
But until that day comes, what should people do when they find themselves in such a situation?

Some of us advocate for taking measures to survive, others apparently not so much.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: May 30, 2022 10:10AM
DeusxMac
Blankity Blank
Speedy
Acer

To complete the comparison math...

If the U.S. had 200 school shootings, and Canada has 11.4% the population of the U.S., then to be equivalent, Canada would have had 11.4% of the school shooting of the U.S..
XXXX 200 x 11.4% = 23 XXXX Over 7 times more than what they actually had!

Right and the point is that those who say that it isn't the number of guns in the US that is the problem, but rather something about mental illness or some other psychological/social thing that is the problem need to point out just what this psychological/social difference is between the US and Canada that accounts for there being 7 times more school shootings here than there. Are Canadians 7 times less mentally ill?

e pluribus unum
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 30, 2022 02:05PM
Find a school that doesn't have some kind of "prop" at just about every door - whether it's a wood wedge or a $22.98 prop, and tell us all that some teacher or other worker at the school is to blame for this. Kids come and go from classrooms constantly ffs. Constantly. It's a friggin' school full of little kids who don't realize that the havta go until it's almost too late (except when they're reduced to peeing in a Home Depot bucket set up in the corner during one of these gawdawful "lockdowns".)

Who's willing to sit by the door to check these kids in and out every time they leave - so that door can remain locked at all times ?

Good grief. Some people are just willing to remain part of the f'n problem.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 30, 2022 04:27PM
bfd
Find a school that doesn't have some kind of "prop" at just about every door - whether it's a wood wedge or a $22.98 prop, and tell us all that some teacher or other worker at the school is to blame for this. Kids come and go from classrooms constantly ffs. Constantly. It's a friggin' school full of little kids who don't realize that the havta go until it's almost too late (except when they're reduced to peeing in a Home Depot bucket set up in the corner during one of these gawdawful "lockdowns".)

Who's willing to sit by the door to check these kids in and out every time they leave - so that door can remain locked at all times ?

Good grief. Some people are just willing to remain part of the f'n problem.

For gun strokers, guns are more important than school children. Far more important. Take away their guns and you’ve effectively castrated them.

On Saturday we stopped by our local DQ (my wife likes their banana shakes, I wisely had nothing.) A gun stroker shows up with his holstered manhood. I said to my wife that that was in awfully poor taste given what has just happened. She says, “Don’t.” Then she grips my arm and says,”Please don’t, you never know.” I didn’t.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2022 04:35PM by Speedy.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 31, 2022 06:05PM
DeusxMac

Honestly curious, because I'm so old we didn't have to live in fear during our classes.

Hmmm…
- “Duck-and-cover” in the 50s
- “Bomb in the building” phone calls in the 60s

Not remotely like what’s happening now, but there were “issues” in previous decades.
An atomic bomb could kill you anywhere. It didn't involve the fear of going to school, or being in school, hence my words "during our classes". And I don't recall any bomb scares in my schools in the 60s, at least not enough to have me keep them in my memory banks. Was that really a big thing somewhere?

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 31, 2022 07:03PM
$tevie
DeusxMac

Honestly curious, because I'm so old we didn't have to live in fear during our classes.

Hmmm…
- “Duck-and-cover” in the 50s
- “Bomb in the building” phone calls in the 60s

Not remotely like what’s happening now, but there were “issues” in previous decades.
An atomic bomb could kill you anywhere. It didn't involve the fear of going to school, or being in school, hence my words "during our classes". And I don't recall any bomb scares in my schools in the 60s, at least not enough to have me keep them in my memory banks. Was that really a big thing somewhere?

Certainly not equivalent to mass shootings, but similar in having grade school children informed of, and practicing for, a possible event IN SCHOOL that could kill them.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 31, 2022 07:20PM
I did live through the time and as previously mentioned, it simply wasn't a thing - big or little. There were air raid sirens on every other block and tested for a while after installation and then less and less until they just sat silent in place.

This was in urban New England, experiences elsewhere may have been different but I tend to doubt that. Even the Cuban Missile Crisis aftermath didn't led to extinction paranoia. Of course we only had Hearstlike news to deal with not Fox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2022 07:24PM by RgrF.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020