advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Buffalo GOP rep that called for gun control announces he is not running for reelection
Posted by: hal
Date: June 03, 2022 04:23PM
[www.nytimes.com]

He lasted 7 days after his announcement...

In the wake of deadly mass shootings in Buffalo and Uvalde, Texas, Representative Chris Jacobs of New York, a congressman serving his first full term in the House, stunned fellow Republicans by embracing a federal assault weapons ban and limits on high-capacity magazines.

Speaking from his suburban Buffalo district a week ago, about 10 miles from the grocery store where 10 Black residents were slaughtered, Mr. Jacobs framed his risky break from bedrock Republican orthodoxy as bigger than politics: “I can’t in good conscience sit back and say I didn’t try to do something,” he said.

It took only seven days for political forces to catch up with him.

On Friday, facing intense backlash from party leaders, a potential primary from the state party chairman and a forceful dressing down from Donald Trump Jr., Mr. Jacobs announced that he would abandon his re-election campaign.

“We have a problem in our country in terms of both our major parties. If you stray from a party position, you are annihilated,” Mr. Jacobs said on Friday. “For the Republicans, it became pretty apparent to me over the last week that that issue is gun control. Any gun control.”

Citing the thousands of gun permits he had issued as Erie County clerk, Mr. Jacobs stressed that he was a supporter of the Second Amendment and wanted to avoid a brutal intraparty fight that would have been inevitable had he stayed in the race.

But he warned Republicans that their “absolute position on this” would hurt the party in the long run.

“Look, if you’re not going to take a stand on something like this, I don’t know what you’re going to take a stand on,” Mr. Jacobs added.

His decision to go against his party on gun control drew an immediate and vitriolic response: Local gun rights groups posted his office and cellphone numbers on the internet, and local party leaders began pulling their support, one by one.

The episode, which played out as President Biden pleaded with lawmakers in Washington to pass a raft of new laws to address gun violence, may be a portent for proponents of gun control, who had welcomed Mr. Jacobs’s evolution on the issue as a sign that the nation’s latest mass tragedies might break a decades-old logjam in Washington.

forget it Jake...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Buffalo GOP rep that called for gun control announces he is not running for reelection
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 03, 2022 05:09PM
If you're a Republican these days you're expected to stay bought. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) also voiced support for some gun control measures but he was already on the way out of Congress.
Re: Buffalo GOP rep that called for gun control announces he is not running for reelection
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 03, 2022 06:30PM
“Look, if you’re not going to take a stand on something like this, I don’t know what you’re going to take a stand on,” Mr. Jacobs added.

oh, the GOP took a stand - the wrong one.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 03, 2022 07:18PM
Here's a little that I found when I first looked into him when he made the original announcement.

He's representing the 27th district. He's not actually running for re-election because the 27th district is being eliminated due to redistricting.

He was going to run for the 23rd district, but that's not exactly "re-election"

[en.wikipedia.org]

The seat is currently occupied by Republican Chris Jacobs, who won a special election on June 23, 2020.[3][4] Previously, it had been vacant since October 1, 2019, when Republican incumbent Chris Collins resigned after pleading guilty to charges of insider trading.[5]

It is the most Republican-leaning district in the state, with Donald Trump having won it by 24.5 points in 2016. It is also one of the most conservative districts in the Northeastern United States, leaning more Republican than any district in New England or New Jersey. Following the reapportionment process after the 2020 census, New York had a brief moment in the limelight when it was reported that they came just 89 people short of retaining its 27th congressional district. The 435th seat instead went to Minnesota. The district will be eliminated after the 2022 midterm elections.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 140
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020