advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
team Me?!....5 Tampa Bay Rays players decline to wear LGBTQ Pride-themed jerseys.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 06, 2022 12:16PM
.....because of 'religious beliefs'......they don't 'look down' / judge.......but don't want to encourage behavior......

.....ironic that all five are pitchers [ not catchers - a little too ironic, don't you think ]......

5 Tampa Bay Rays players decline to wear LGBTQ Pride-themed jerseys

The players opted out of wearing the rainbow accented uniforms during their team's annual LGBTQ Pride Night event, citing religious beliefs.

.....Five Tampa Bay Rays players opted out of wearing LGBTQ Pride-themed uniforms during the team's annual Pride Night event.

In honor of Pride Month, which is celebrated during the month of June to show support for the LGBTQ community, the Florida-based Major League Baseball team added rainbow accents to its official uniforms for its Saturday game against the Chicago White Sox.

But five players, all pitchers — Jason Adam, Jalen Beeks, Brooks Raley, Jeffrey Springs and Ryan Thompson — declined to wear the Pride-themed jerseys, citing religious beliefs.

"When we put it on our bodies, I think a lot of guys decided that it’s just a lifestyle that maybe — not that they look down on anybody or think differently — it’s just that maybe we don’t want to encourage it if we believe in Jesus, who’s encouraged us to live a lifestyle that would abstain from that behavior," Adam told the Tampa Bay Times after Saturday’s game.

“It’s not judgmental. It’s not looking down. It’s just what we believe the lifestyle he’s encouraged us to live, for our good, not to withhold," the pitcher continued. "But again, we love these men and women, we care about them, and we want them to feel safe and welcome here.”

Thompson also defended the group's decision, telling WFLA, an NBC affiliate in Tampa, Florida, that the team is "completely unified" in its "love for the LGBTQ+ community."

“I cast no judgment. I cast no condemnation. I only feel called to share my faith, which is the most important thing in my life," he said. "I respect everyone’s free will to live their lives however they choose and can promise to treat nobody any different based upon their lifestyle."

In recent years, many professional sports teams have launched annual Pride nights to celebrate the LGBTQ community.

Two other MLB teams — the San Francisco Giants and the Los Angeles Dodgers — have also previously incorporated Pride symbolism into their uniforms. Both teams had full participation among their players.

Cyd Zeigler, founder of LGBTQ sports site Outsports, denounced the players' decision to not wear the Pride-themed jerseys and slammed the Rays management.

"People are misrepresenting what listening to management about what putting a rainbow flag on your uniform means," he said. "It doesn't mean you endorse sex between men. It just means everyone is welcome at the ballpark."

Zeigler added, "It would have been so much better if no one had worn the rainbow stuff than if only a few people had."

Representatives for the Rays and Major League Baseball did not immediately respond to NBC News' requests for comment.

won't......wear it.......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2022 12:23PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: team Me?!....5 Tampa Bay Rays players decline to wear LGBTQ Pride-themed jerseys.....
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 06, 2022 12:19PM
Everybody isn't' going to like everybody.
Re: team Me?!....5 Tampa Bay Rays players decline to wear LGBTQ Pride-themed jerseys.....
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 06, 2022 12:30PM
Organizations just love to do social support half-heartedly. They seldom think past the first effort, and wither at the first sign of "controversy." See especially State Farm:

State Farm drops support of LGBTQ kids books after conservative furor
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 06, 2022 12:56PM
I think it's best if companies stick to causes that directly relate to their line of business. Sure, today you get a token gesture toward LGBTQ, but tomorrow you have to salute the flag during the opening military pageant before you can be the quarterback.
Posted by: zachdog
Date: June 06, 2022 01:13PM
In Florida. Of course.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 06, 2022 01:39PM
I'm not sure that any team should make their players wear garments to support any movement. If the players want to wear them, fine, if they don't, fine. It's nice for people to see that sports heroes support this or that, but no reason to make people pretend they do if they don't. It's not like refusing to wear a jersey is going to eliminate Obergefell v. Hodges. Or bring back the enormous number of trans people who have been murdered in this country.
Solidarity is nice, but don't mistake it for activism.

Posted by: bfd
Date: June 06, 2022 01:54PM
Can't happen too soon, either …

Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 06, 2022 02:48PM

Oops, meant to show the further "after" picture.....

==
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 06, 2022 04:09PM
A little torn on this one. I liked the statement by the pitcher, Jason Adam (I am giving benefit of the doubt, and assuming sincerity on his part), even though it could be read as a little self contradictory. So, while I disagree, having a stance of limited support on an issue is not always invalid.

”Cyd Zeigler, founder of LGBTQ sports site Outsports, denounced the players' decision to not wear the Pride-themed jerseys and slammed the Rays management.

"People are misrepresenting what listening to management about what putting a rainbow flag on your uniform means," he said. "It doesn't mean you endorse sex between men. It just means everyone is welcome at the ballpark."

Zeigler added, "It would have been so much better if no one had worn the rainbow stuff than if only a few people had.

The last part of his statement strikes me as just a hair throwing the baby out with the bathwater. If only “a few” players had chosen to take the initiative to show support in the face of the majority declining, welcoming such a courageous statement would seem the more appropriate and productive posture.

However as I understand it, MLB teams consist of a roster of 26 day to day players, with in this case 21 wearing the pride gear and five abstaining. So, in fact, a moot point.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2022 04:11PM by Blankity Blank.
Date: June 06, 2022 04:27PM
$tevie
I'm not sure that any team should make their players wear garments to support any movement. If the players want to wear them, fine, if they don't, fine. It's nice for people to see that sports heroes support this or that, but no reason to make people pretend they do if they don't. It's not like refusing to wear a jersey is going to eliminate Obergefell v. Hodges. Or bring back the enormous number of trans people who have been murdered in this country.
Solidarity is nice, but don't mistake it for activism.

Yep
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 06, 2022 05:25PM
At least they aren’t taking a knee during the anthem. We know how that sort of personal statement works out.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 06, 2022 07:34PM
Let me see if I understand this correctly:

The LGBTQ community wants to be accepted as they are BUT do NOT want to be accepting of those who disagree with them.

Sounds about right in our "woke" politically correct condition we all find ourselves in. dunno smiley
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 06, 2022 08:19PM
testcase

The LGBTQ community wants to be accepted as they are BUT do NOT want to be accepting of those who disagree with them.

Sounds about right in our "woke" politically correct condition we all find ourselves in. dunno smiley

"The paradox of tolerance states that if a society is tolerant without limit, its ability to be tolerant is eventually seized or destroyed by the intolerant. Karl Popper described it as the seemingly paradoxical idea that in order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must retain the right to be intolerant of intolerance."
[en.wikipedia.org]
Date: June 06, 2022 08:33PM
LGBTQ have been massively ostracized, abused and considered sub-human from the very first nurturings of human existence until about right now (and continuing). They will behave like people that have suffered from all of that. I don't think it's "woke" for them to desperately want to feel included.

The biggest difference between before and now, is they're willing and prepared to fight for what they want. Until there is fruitful and reasonable dialog between people, then it's gonna be a rough time.

Everybody needs to be a little bit more strategic about how to build consensus amongst us all. We pretty much all fail in 2022.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: June 06, 2022 10:24PM
testcase

I don't see how this statement makes sense. If a gay person is how they are by no choice of their own, then how can someone disagree with that? They simply are who they are born to be - how can you disagree with that? Does saying "a black person wants to be accepted as they are but they don't want to accept people who disagree with them being a black person" make any sense? How do you disagree with a black person being a black person because they simply are a black person? If you don't want to accept that they are who they are, then that's something that is wrong with your thinking, not them.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 07, 2022 06:05AM
how about a glass half full perspective -- The Rays held a Pride Night and all but five players participated. That would have never occurred just a few years ago. That is progress and shows a positive societal change.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 07, 2022 07:37AM
Ombligo
how about a glass half full perspective -- The Rays held a Pride Night and all but five players participated. That would have never occurred just a few years ago. That is progress and shows a positive societal change.

So only five is an ‘up yours’ to Gov. DeSantis…

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 07, 2022 09:48AM
testcase

The LGBTQ community wants to be accepted as they are BUT do NOT want to be accepting of those who disagree with them feel their mere existence is some kind of violation or abomination.

FTFY

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 07, 2022 09:54AM
Ombligo

Yes it does. Good point. I also think it's good for pro sports to show solidarity with the queer community given how rampant homophobia has been among pro athletes.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: June 07, 2022 02:37PM
I vote for jerseys with a Barney the Dinosaur in all of his purplish glory!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2022 02:39PM by Bill in NC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020