advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
liberal nut with a gun arrested for wanting to kill Kavanaugh
Posted by: hal
Date: June 08, 2022 05:12PM
Authorities identified the man as Nicholas John Roske, 26, of Simi Valley, Calif., charging him with the attempted murder of a federal judge. The criminal complaint did not specifically name Kavanaugh. Efforts to immediately reach Roske’s family were unsuccessful. It is unclear whether he has an attorney.

Two U.S. deputy marshals spotted Roske get out of a cab in front of a justice’s Montgomery County home around 1:05 a.m. Wednesday, according to the criminal complaint detailing Roske’s alleged actions and motivations.

He looked at the marshals and then walked down the street, according to the complaint. Not long after, according to the complaint, the Montgomery County Emergency Communications Center received a call from Roske saying he was suicidal and came to kill a specific Supreme Court justice.

Two people familiar with the investigation said the man was taken into custody by police after telling officers he wanted to kill Kavanaugh.

[www.msn.com]

I wasn't thrilled when I heard there were big demonstrations outside some justices' homes. The justices are fair game, but their families are not. This is all @#$%& up.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: liberal nut with a gun arrested for wanting to kill Kavanaugh
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 08, 2022 05:35PM
Two deputy marshals just happened to be in the neighborhood.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 08, 2022 05:35PM
hal
The justices are fair game, but their families are not. This is all @#$%& up.

They should get the same zone of safety they've provided to abortion clinics.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 08, 2022 05:51PM
Couldn't be a liberal.

They don't know how to fit their clips in the magazine slot.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 08, 2022 06:23PM
I'll bet he doesn't like beer.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 08, 2022 07:21PM
Just the beginning.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 08, 2022 07:42PM
Speedy
Two deputy marshals just happened to be in the neighborhood.

More likely due to the group that called upon people to protest outside their homes.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 08, 2022 07:56PM
Lux Interior
Couldn't be a liberal.

They don't know how to fit their clips in the magazine slot.

Simi Valley is not exactly one of our hotbeds of liberalism....
it's mostly a conservative enclave in the outskirts of Ventura County, adjacent to the outskirts of Los Angeles County.
Simi Valley is the eternal home and resting place of Ronnie & Nancy, and their Reagan Library and Reagan Museum....
which of course includes an old Air Force One.
Learn your necessary "skills" in Simi Valley at Smokin' Barrel Guns with their....
"Largest Firearms Selection with the Highest Tech Indoor Shooting Range in Southern California...."
Liberal.... nahhh.
==
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 08, 2022 08:05PM
Simi also has a higher than average police presence, LAPD and LASD personnel find Simi Valley and Santa Clarita much more to their liking than they do the city.
Posted by: August West
Date: June 08, 2022 08:47PM
Rodney King trial.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 08, 2022 08:57PM
So, 2 good guys with guns stopped a bad man with a gun? smiley-laughing001

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Wags
Date: June 08, 2022 09:10PM
So he calls the court and reports himself, threatens suicide? Sounds like a very warped cry for attention.
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: June 08, 2022 09:58PM
Racer X

wow. you're such a complete loser with absolutely no sense
of grace or tact..what a moron.
Date: June 08, 2022 10:59PM
Kraniac
Racer X

wow. you're such a complete loser with absolutely no sense
of grace or tact..what a moron.

What did he think he was going to accomplish? He proves my point.

Honestly. Your plan is to approach a Supreme Court Judge with a firearm. How will anything good for you come out of that action?
Killing a federal Officer of the Court, and a Supreme Court judge REALLY applies, is a capital offense. 2 options, Life, or Death. Maybe the plea for help was to set up an insanity plea first steps. Hard to know.

And I'm not so insecure that I need everyone's approval.

I get mental and emotional distress and illness. I am not unsympathetic, but at the same time, after my brother's suicide, I would really have liked to tell him what a @#$%& thing to do to Mom.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2022 11:53PM by Racer X.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 09, 2022 08:44AM
Racer X
So, 2 good guys law enforcement officers with guns stopped a bad mentally unstable man with a gun...

FTFY

As it should be.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 09, 2022 09:15AM
I dunno. The guy apparently felt threatened and exercised his Constitutional right to act to protect himself, so goes the logic.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 09, 2022 09:16AM
deckeda
I dunno. The guy apparently felt threatened and exercised his Constitutional right to act to protect himself, so goes the logic.

obviously
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 09, 2022 09:43AM
Good thing Kavanaugh was in a Blue State, in a Red State nothing could have been done until the guy shot the gun.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 09, 2022 11:05AM
Elite Judge: Perp handled in seconds, legislation on the floor of the Senate by dinner.
School: We're gonna wait another hour, let the shooting die down first. After that, maybe some dinner.
Date: June 09, 2022 01:41PM
and that is why all citizens in the US have the Right to protect themselves if they choose. (subject to losing the Right due to criminal activity, or being judged a danger to themselves and others for mental/behavioral issues)

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 09, 2022 02:12PM
I think this is going to be an interesting case. The guy turned himself in before he committed the crime.

Did he threaten Kavanaugh beforehand? Did he have the gun illegally?

Did he conspire with anyone?

Obviously troubled; we know his original intent. But if I decide I want to murder someone, and the bus doesn’t come on time, and I reconsider and call 911 (like this guy did), have I committed a crime?

Also pertinent these days, should a guy like me (in the example above) really be allowed to buy guns going forward?
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 09, 2022 02:22PM
deckeda

Legitimate Political Discourse.
Date: June 09, 2022 02:53PM
pdq
I think this is going to be an interesting case. The guy turned himself in before he committed the crime.

Obviously troubled; we know his original intent. But if I decide I want to murder someone, and the bus doesn’t come on time, and I reconsider and call 911 (like this guy did), have I committed a crime?

Also pertinent these days, should a guy like me (in the example above) really be allowed to buy guns going forward?

Really interesting questions. Where in the process does the attempted murder begin? Convicting someone based on their thoughts or desires would essentially put everyone behind bars.

And as to the medical/mental/emotional question, I do know the question on the 4473 form is "Have you ever been adjudicated as a mental defective OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution?"

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 09, 2022 03:34PM
Racer X
And as to the medical/mental/emotional question, I do know the question on the 4473 form is "Have you ever been adjudicated as a mental defective OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution?"

Adjudication is the legal process by which an arbiter or judge reviews evidence and argumentation, including legal reasoning set forth by opposing parties or litigants, to come to a decision which determines rights and obligations between the parties involved.”

An embezzler could honestly declare they had never been “adjudicated” as an embezzler if they’d never been caught embezzling.
Date: June 09, 2022 03:38PM
DeusxMac
Racer X

Adjudication is the legal process by which an arbiter or judge reviews evidence and argumentation, including legal reasoning set forth by opposing parties or litigants, to come to a decision which determines rights and obligations between the parties involved.”

An embezzler could honestly declare they had never been “adjudicated” as an embezzler if they’d never been caught embezzling.

They are revising form 4473, I don't know the particulars. I believe they may be changing the wording around drug use, which is basically a stupidity filter. Right now it talks about illegal marijuana use. Which is illegal everywhere, regardless of what your state says.

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 10, 2022 01:21PM
RgrF
Simi also has a higher than average police presence, LAPD and LASD personnel find Simi Valley and Santa Clarita much more to their liking than they do the city.

Rog,

I believe you refer to the number of police officers who reside in Simi Valley, not the number of police deployed by the city.

It is what it is.
Date: June 10, 2022 01:25PM
Racer X
pdq

Really interesting questions. Where in the process does the attempted murder begin? Convicting someone based on their thoughts or desires would essentially put everyone behind bars.

I believe intent to murder - especially someone like a SC justice - is a prosecutable offense, particularly when the defendant confesses to his intent.

It is what it is.
Date: June 10, 2022 01:34PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Racer X
pdq

I believe intent to murder - especially someone like a SC justice - is a prosecutable offense, particularly when the defendant confesses to his intent.

Does anyone have a sense of where it crosses over from just a thought to "intent"? Plotting it out in your head, or gathering supplies, heading out with a weapon for sure. Now that I think about it, gathering supplies shows intent, like terrorists making S vests or IEDs. It is probably involving physical evidence like maps or drawings, hardware.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2022 01:35PM by Racer X.
Date: June 10, 2022 02:25PM
The guy needs to be prosecuted or treated, whichever is more appropriate. Why would anyone here think otherwise?
Date: June 10, 2022 02:56PM
Absolutely.

I'm just interested in the concept of when does thinking about an action become a crime.

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: June 10, 2022 02:59PM
Racer X
N-OS X-tasy!
Racer X
pdq

Does anyone have a sense of where it crosses over from just a thought to "intent"? Plotting it out in your head, or gathering supplies, heading out with a weapon for sure. Now that I think about it, gathering supplies shows intent, like terrorists making S vests or IEDs. It is probably involving physical evidence like maps or drawings, hardware.

not sure of the actual answer, but in this case, a cop asks, "What are you gonna use all this dangerous stuff for?" and the answer is to kill Kavanaugh - that makes his job pretty easy.
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 10, 2022 03:10PM
I just found it unusual for the charge to be "attempted murder". Seems like there's usually a bunch of other charges related to threats instead.

For example I don't think the guy who mailed 16 pipe bombs to political and news figures was charged with "attempted murder".

[en.wikipedia.org]

Following his arrest, Sayoc was charged with five federal crimes:[66] "interstate transportation of an explosive"; "illegal mailing of explosives"; "threats against former presidents and certain other persons"; "threatening interstate communications"; and "assaulting federal officers".[88] The charges were filed by federal prosecutors of the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York (SDNY).[89] Prosecutors from the SDNY said electronic devices owned by Sayoc had data showing that he began planning the attacks in July 2018.[90]

Or this guy who jumped the White House fence and entered the White House with a knife and overpowered a guard.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Gonzalez was charged with one federal count of entering a restricted building or grounds while carrying a deadly or dangerous weapon. In addition he was charged with violating two local laws: "carrying a dangerous weapon outside a home or business", and "unlawful possession of ammunition".[26] The three charges carry maximum prison terms of ten, five and one year in prison, respectively.[26]
Date: June 10, 2022 03:53PM
This is puzzling. Attempted assault with a deadly weapon? Attempted murder?

I don't normally follow this stuff in the media, but this is really interesting.

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 10, 2022 04:37PM
N-OS X-tasy!
RgrF

Rog,

I believe you refer to the number of police officers who reside in Simi Valley, not the number of police deployed by the city.

Didn't realized I'd muddled it, thanks for the clarification X. If you were to combine the number of police families living in Simi with those living in Santa Clarita you have numbers enough to be their own city (which they pretty much are now)
Date: June 10, 2022 05:10PM
RgrF
N-OS X-tasy!
RgrF

Rog,

Didn't realized I'd muddled it, thanks for the clarification X. If you were to combine the number of police families living in Simi with those living in Santa Clarita you have numbers enough to be their own city (which they pretty much are now)

Yeah, Simi is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

It is what it is.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 10, 2022 05:53PM
This is a very sad story. I don't like Kavanaugh but I'm glad he wasn't murdered.

Nicholas John Roske, 26, called 911 twice in the early hours of Wednesday, telling the operator that he had a gun and other weapons in a bag and was having suicidal thoughts. “I need psychiatric help,” he said.

During the nearly 14-minute phone call, Roske said he had just flown in from California and traveled in a taxi to Kavanaugh’s home address, taking the bag with the gun and other weapons with him.

“It’s in a suitcase,” he told the operator when asked about the gun. “It’s a black suitcase. Um, it’s — I’m standing near it but the suitcase is zip-tied shut. … I just came from the airport.”

Asked if he had other weapons, Roske said, “There’s pepper spray. There is a knife. There are, there is, um, tools. No other firearms. No explosives, nothing like that.”

“And you said you came from California. Do you know someone down here?” the operator asked.
“Brett Kavanaugh … the Supreme Court justice,” he said.

“OK, and what were you coming to do?” the operator asked. “Just to hurt yourself and him? Or what was going to happen?”
“Correct,” Roske replied.

Roske said he was going to kill himself because “I didn’t think I could get away with it,” adding that he has been “hospitalized a lot of times.”
[www.ocregister.com]

Posted by: wave rider
Date: June 11, 2022 11:07AM
I'm in favor of sheriffs being assigned to SCOTUS justices' houses at all times.

Let them be reminded every time they leave their houses that gun violence is endemic in the nation. Let them live life constantly scared like elementary school kids…

=wr=
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: June 11, 2022 02:07PM
[/b]
Racer X
and that is why all citizens in the US have the Right to protect themselves if they choose. (subject to losing the Right due to criminal activity, or being judged a danger to themselves and others for mental/behavioral issues)

Riiiiiight. Clearly every 10 year old 4th grader should be packing heat, to protect themselves from the deranged intruder with the semi-automatic rifle.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 11, 2022 03:17PM
What if they guy instead told the cops "I'm here to protect Brett Kavanaugh"
Date: June 11, 2022 04:27PM
GGD
What if they guy instead told the cops "I'm here to protect Brett Kavanaugh"

Worked for Kyle.
Date: June 11, 2022 05:12PM
Seems to me from reading that transcript that he never actually said that he was going to kill Kavanaugh… rather he simply affirmed the leading statement made by the 911 operator.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Date: June 11, 2022 05:24PM
Harbourmaster
[/b]
Racer X

Riiiiiight. Clearly every 10 year old 4th grader should be packing heat, to protect themselves from the deranged intruder with the semi-automatic rifle.

I've never advocated arming adolescents. They can't purchase firearms at that age for a reason.

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Ted King
Date: June 11, 2022 06:10PM
Racer X
Harbourmaster
[/b]
Racer X

I've never advocated arming adolescents. They can't purchase firearms at that age for a reason.

I guess sometimes people don't intend their statements to be taken literally.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 11, 2022 09:37PM
Just for some comparison, this wikipedia page has a list of threats made against Obama (by year!), and in most cases, the punishment. Unless I missed it, none of these people turned themselves in.

This was the one that I remembered:

Three men allegedly discussed shooting Barack Obama, then the 2008 Democratic Party presidential nominee, during his acceptance speech at the 2008 Democratic National Convention in Denver, Colorado. Cousins Tharin Gartrell, Shawn Adolf, as well as their friend Nathan Johnson, allegedly came to Denver specifically to kill Obama, and discussed in their hotel room how they could assassinate him. On August 24, 2008, Gartrell was arrested when police found his truck filled with weapons and narcotics. Johnson and Adolf were arrested shortly thereafter and, during a televised interview, Johnson later indicated Adolf was the one who planned the alleged threat. Authorities later downplayed the threats and indicated the trio had little chance of successfully killing Obama. The three men were charged with drug and weapons charges and sentenced, but did not face federal charges of threatening a presidential candidate.

Aww, they were jes some good ol boys; dint really mean no harm.

Also, this seems to be only a partial list. This one and this one didn’t make the list, for instance (although, to be fair, the latter one thought he was Jesus Christ and also threatened Trump).

And then there’s this more recent one:

Kuachua Brillion Xiong…had an AR-15-type rifle, ammunition and a grappling hook, among other items, authorities said.

He told a sheriff’s deputy that he disapproved of the government and President Biden and that he was traveling to Washington, D.C. He was carrying a “hit list” of targets…

Authorities described Xiong’s vehicle as “lived in,” with several empty cans of Red Bull energy drink (!)…

Targets included former Presidents Clinton and Obama, White House medical advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci and Meta Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg…

Not to minimize the current event, but this kind of thing sort of comes with the job.
Date: June 11, 2022 09:41PM
Ted King
Racer X
Harbourmaster
[/b]
Racer X

Didn’t think I needed to say that I was being sarcastic here…

Aloha, Ken

Posted by: Ted King
Date: June 11, 2022 09:46PM
Harbourmaster
Ted King
Racer X
Harbourmaster
[/b]
Racer X

Didn’t think I needed to say that I was being sarcastic here…

That was meant to refer to something the Racer X brought up in another thread where he took something someone said literally but his response wasn't sarcastic. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

e pluribus unum
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 128
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020