advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
SD AG Ravnsborg (R) impeached, convicted, and removed from office
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 21, 2022 09:42PM
This was the guy who claimed he thought he hit a deer (and the drove home) when the guy he killed went through his windshield and left his glasses on the floor. The impeachment was a close call:

…the [SD] House of Representatives acted to impeach Ravnsborg, a first-term Republican, on a 36-31-3 vote. Impeachment required a majority of votes in the 70-member body, and 36 was the bare minimum. All eight Democrats voted in favor of impeachment, while 28 of the 62 Republicans joined them. Three didn’t cast a ballot [ meaning 31 Repubs, a majority of the caucus, voted to let him skate ] smiley-shocked003

In the Senate trial, more evidence came out:

North Dakota Bureau of Investigation Agent Arnie Rummel [testified] that Ravnsborg may have contemplated fleeing the scene where he killed Joe Boever on U.S. Highway 14 on Sept. 12, 2020.

Rummel said Tuesday that Ravnsborg didn’t immediately stop his vehicle after striking Boever, instead rolling on for seven seconds, or 613 feet; the agent suggested he could have stopped in about 175 feet.

… [Rummel earlier testified] he was convinced Ravnsborg saw Boever’s body right away.

He walked by a flashlight that’s on,” he said. “There’s a body that’s laying within two feet of the roadway…I believe that he’d have to see him.”

But Ravnsborg got back in his car, told 911 he thought he’d hit a deer, and went home. He and an officer “discovered” the body the next day.

Boever was killed almost instantly after being struck, his right leg severed when hit by the attorney general’s private car. His body rode atop it, with his face busting through the windshield, and his broken glasses landing inside the vehicle.

All this was too much for even Repubs to cover up, so Ravnsborg is out as AG. As I’ve noted before, this is not the first SD GOPer to get dumped from office for killing someone on the road:

Bill Janklow, who dominated South Dakota politics for three decades as [attorney general,] governor and then congressman, was sentenced to 100 days in jail Thursday for an auto accident [where Janklow was speeding and ignored a stop sign] that killed a motorcyclist and ended Janklow’s career in disgrace.

And yet they still elect these guys. dunno smiley

Next up - Governor (R). Covid denier and Trumpie Kristi Noem, who got the acclaimed head of the SD real estate appraisers certification board fired suddenly “retired” for not awarding Noem’s daughter her certification after she failed the appraiser exam.

What are the chances? Some kinda bad luck for the GOP in SD…
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: SD AG Ravnsborg (R) impeached, convicted, and removed from office
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 21, 2022 11:29PM
These Republicans... make me want to do things to them that I thought I would never want to do to a human.

I think it's because they are, in fact, inhuman.

It is what it is.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 21, 2022 11:37PM
He and an officer “discovered” the body the next day.

Because that’s what you do when you’re sure you hit a deer: You go back the next day, with police, to confirm? Nah.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 22, 2022 06:33AM
Around here if you hit a deer, you don't leave it on the side of the road - you load it up for venison.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 22, 2022 07:24AM
He just wanted to give the eyeglasses back to the deer.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 22, 2022 03:59PM
The other part of this that I find amazing is there are only 8 Democrats in a 70-member state House. facepalm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2022 04:00PM by AllGold.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 22, 2022 04:36PM
Ombligo
Around here if you hit a deer, you don't leave it on the side of the road - you load it up for venison.

Eewww. Hit a deer squarely and they pretty much explode inside. The meat might be salvageable if you clip them only in the head.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: June 22, 2022 05:22PM
Speedy
Ombligo

Eewww. Hit a deer squarely and they pretty much explode inside. The meat might be salvageable if you clip them only in the head.

Are you basing that on hitting deer with a big rig or a regular car?

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 22, 2022 06:23PM
Speedy
Ombligo

So it's stew for dinner, then!

It is what it is.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 23, 2022 07:19PM
AllGold
Speedy
Ombligo

Are you basing that on hitting deer with a big rig or a regular car?

Car. I hit one with a truck at 75 MPH (in Wyoming) and it wrapped around a steer tire, then hooked the step on the fuel tank, the spare tire rack in the center side of the trailer and lastly broke off a brake canister on a trailer axle. I doubt if there was much left to turn into sausage. That was the only deer I hit in 40 years of trucking and none in a car.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: June 23, 2022 10:34PM
You can tell the ones hit by a semi at speed. They are little more than a bloodstain on the highway. But passenger cars usually don't obliterate them like that.

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: June 24, 2022 09:49AM
AllGold
You can tell the ones hit by a semi at speed. They are little more than a bloodstain on the highway. But passenger cars usually don't obliterate them like that.

I saw one flip a** over teakettle just by being barely clipped by the car passing me at ~80 mph.

Rolled up on that car at the next toll station...squashed-in front end, huge puddle of fluid underneath.

Hope the consequences of speeding were worth the price of trying to find an open service station on a Sunday morning in the middle-of-nowhere West Virginia.
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 24, 2022 09:56AM
Took out a radiator hitting one on a residential street at 30MPH. I dread the day when one steps out in front of me on the turnpike at 70.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 24, 2022 03:25PM
He's damn lucky he didn't hit a fetus, he'd be in prison for life.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020