advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Solution to inflation
Posted by: Mr645
Date: June 22, 2022 05:31AM
Federal gas tax holiday, saving everyone 16.4¢ per gallon. I can take that vacation now
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Solution to inflation
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 22, 2022 06:47AM
Lol…. That’s the equivalent of a band-aid on a severed artery.

“Windfall Tax” is what needs to happen. Coupled with shutting off all forms of corporate welfare, which is the major consumer of tax dollars. Exxon et al. are the super “welfare queens “…
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 22, 2022 07:04AM
Why not make the gas tax negative?

Posted by: Acer
Date: June 22, 2022 07:23AM
Blaming gasoline prices on Biden is political theater, so he might as well respond with political theater.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: June 22, 2022 07:45AM
Amazingly, somehow the gas price will increase by that amount as well.

And in a totally unrelated event, oil companies will again post record profits.

And who was it that blocked price gouging legislation?
Posted by: Mr645
Date: June 22, 2022 09:59AM
I think a far better solution would be to have the US oil producers increase production, like what Germany is doing with coal fired energy now. Either by using the DPA or tax credits for increased production.
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 22, 2022 10:18AM
Why would they increase production? They’re already making money hand over fist from the current tight supplies due to the recovery from the Covid pandemic.

Give them even more money doesn’t seem like a great answer right now.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 22, 2022 10:38AM
Oil production isn't the bottleneck - oil refining is the bottleneck, and you can't build a new refinery overnight. Plus no one wants to build a new refinery that won't be needed in a few years as the need for fossil fuel diminishes.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 22, 2022 10:38AM
Mr645
Federal gas tax holiday, saving everyone 16.4¢ per gallon. I can take that vacation now

Straw man fallacy – misrepresenting an opponent's argument by broadening or narrowing the scope of a premise and/or refuting a weaker version of their argument.

It is not proposed as a “solution to inflation”.
Date: June 22, 2022 11:20AM
At its peak, just as COVID hit, the US was pumping 13 billion barrels a day. It wobbled between 9-11 Billion in 2020/1. It's back up to 11.5 billion now, and back on its upward trend. Net production for the world has been flat since November, before Putin's war. It's not US oil that's holding supply back.

Oh, and since it's inevitable that it will come up, the Keystone phases 1,2,3 are operating. Phase 4, Keystone XL was only 8% built when canceled just 18 months ago, and would have carried only 500,000 barrels per day of Canadian oil, oil that still has paths to market, just not as convenient as XL.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2022 11:25AM by Acer.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 22, 2022 11:32AM
And that Canadian oil is not suitable for processing into many common products, and requires refineries with specialized equipment to process. Most US refineries don't have that. Much of it would have been exported.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 22, 2022 02:02PM
It is already dead, the Senate GOP is universally against it along with Manchin and Dick Durbin.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Date: June 22, 2022 02:20PM
DO SOMETHING

* Gas tax holiday? Federal is mere pennies.
* Release strategic reserve? A mere fraction of consumption.
* Sell more oil leases? Takes years to be develop a lease, if ever.
* Issue the oil barons a sternly worded memo? Money is speech and they vote that you shut up.
* Windfall tax? Not with a fillibuster, and not under budget reconciliation rules without Senator Coal's blessing. Also, see above.
* Develop more green energy? Been trying to get us to do this, but we won't listen.
* Allow fracking on federal lands? Not actually banned. Biden never followed through the promise to ban it. Darn tootin' he's not kicking that bees nest until this settles down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2022 02:22PM by Acer.
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 22, 2022 02:26PM
We need buttons.

Posted by: kj
Date: June 22, 2022 02:39PM
vision63
We need buttons.

Yes, raise awareness of the problem.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 22, 2022 02:42PM
Lux Interior
Amazingly, somehow the gas price will increase by that amount as well.

as davester said in another thread, "There you go again, trying to confuse the issue with facts. "

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: bfd
Date: June 22, 2022 03:55PM
We need someone like Gerald Ford … Gotta wonder if his shoes aren't still somewhere in a WH closet. They'd probably fit Joe Biden' feet like a … shoe.smiley-laughing001

Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 22, 2022 04:38PM
cbelt3

“Windfall Tax” is what needs to happen. Coupled with shutting off all forms of corporate welfare, which is the major consumer of tax dollars. Exxon et al. are the super “welfare queens “…

the fact that the oil companies are raking in record profits tells me they are gouging.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Date: June 22, 2022 04:42PM
Ombligo
Oil production isn't the bottleneck - oil refining is the bottleneck, and you can't build a new refinery overnight. Plus no one wants to build a new refinery that won't be needed in a few years as the need for fossil fuel diminishes.

it will be decades before it wouldn't be needed. ships, trucks, trains, industrial boilers, the list goes on. Where would you or I go to buy a 300hp electric boat outboard?

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: June 22, 2022 05:52PM
FYI: My local gas prices have dropped about $.20 this week following the holiday.

All on their own.

Posted by: kj
Date: June 22, 2022 06:18PM
Racer X
Ombligo

it will be decades before it wouldn't be needed. ships, trucks, trains, industrial boilers, the list goes on. Where would you or I go to buy a 300hp electric boat outboard?

Well, we need to head in that direction, and all the foot dragging is only going to cause us to fall behind other powerful countries. Just the mere mention of heading in that direction spooks companies and investors, but they should be spooked. It's not the future.
Date: June 22, 2022 06:35PM
kj
Racer X
Ombligo

Well, we need to head in that direction, and all the foot dragging is only going to cause us to fall behind other powerful countries. Just the mere mention of heading in that direction spooks companies and investors, but they should be spooked. It's not the future.

how about a new refinery tuned to process the crude from Canada, to isolate us a bit more from the political volatility that is the global crude market?

[www.youtube.com]
Date: June 22, 2022 07:14PM
Though nothing like nuclear power plants, refineries are expensive and take a long time to build. The company has to really sell it hard to get past NIMBY.

Shell Ethane Cracker plant about 20 miles from me:
$6 billion to build
$1.7 billion in tax breaks
Ten years since the project was announced, and locations began vying for consideration.
5+ years of construction (began 2017, opening possibly later this year)

And that's for a natural gas cracker, the "clean" fossil fuel. I'm guessing processing that goop from Canada is going to take a lot more effort and environmental mess to deal with.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2022 07:16PM by Acer.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: June 23, 2022 06:48AM
Racer X
cbelt3

the fact that the oil companies are raking in record profits tells me they are gouging.

May oil soar to over $120/bbl...I need the cash flow from my direct oil/gas well investments.

Those should return close to 20% this year, but I want more, more, more!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2022 06:48AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: June 23, 2022 06:55AM
Bill in NC
Racer X
cbelt3

May oil soar to over $120/bbl...I need the cash flow from my direct oil/gas well investments.

Those should return close to 20% this year, but I want more, more, more!

Hope you’re putting aside $ for the tax bill….
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 91
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020