Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
polio back?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 23, 2022 07:52AM
[arstechnica.com]

covid45, monkeypox, polio.

can't possibly be mother earth is fed up with out 5h1t ......

hope the plague has finaly left with 45.

!#$@@$#!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: polio back?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 23, 2022 07:56AM
.....also meningitis in Florida.....they are encouraging gay/bisexual men to get the meningitis vaccine in Florida....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2022 08:28AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 23, 2022 09:04AM
anti vaxxers continue to kill many people.

We lined up to get the oral vaccine in elementary school. Little test tube shot glasses for a drink of orange flavored vaccine. I don't recall any parents making a fuss.. but the Christian Science kids in their school down the street sure seemed to get sick a lot. We just stayed away from them.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 23, 2022 09:24AM
cbelt3

We lined up to get the oral vaccine in elementary school. Little test tube shot glasses for a drink of orange flavored vaccine. I don't recall any parents making a fuss.. but the Christian Science kids in their school down the street sure seemed to get sick a lot. We just stayed away from them.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 23, 2022 10:45AM
Fritz
[arstechnica.com]

covid45, monkeypox, polio.

can't possibly be mother earth is fed up with out 5h1t ......

hope the plague has finaly left with 45.

Fritz, great article! Thanks for the link.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: June 23, 2022 12:34PM
cbelt3

The anti-vaccine people have been spreading a lie that unvaccinated kids are healthier, but the data are to the contrary.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 23, 2022 12:46PM
cbelt3

Yeah, I remember doing that in kindergarten or first grade. But we got it on a sugar cube. The city health department also made sure everyone also got the inactivated polio vaccine as well during a different vaccination drive.

Between the polio vaccine and the others that became available by the early '60s the city was able to close down its separate children infirmary in the mid-'60s. My father bought some of the furniture, dressers and the like, at the auctions afterwards to furnish our rooms.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: June 23, 2022 12:51PM
A neighbor boy of ours when I was growing up was about a half dozen years older than me got polio and lost about half the functioning of an arm and hand.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 23, 2022 01:04PM
Got mine as an inoculation. Can recall the fear of going near public pools or other outdoor water sources.
Date: June 23, 2022 01:10PM
....joined the college water polio team.....it wasn't co-ed though...

Date: June 23, 2022 03:06PM
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 23, 2022 06:14PM
Got the Salk as a shot, then a few years later, the Sabin in a sugar cube.
==
Date: June 23, 2022 06:17PM
....were the women.......Sabin.....????

Posted by: bfd
Date: June 23, 2022 08:06PM
Sounds like maybe some Londoners were recently given a Sabin sip before entering the country. The knocked-out virus would've shown up that way in an assay.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 23, 2022 10:05PM
Dang. That's rough to hear. Two friends of mine got it. One from swimming in a polluted river and died ten years later a quadraplegic. The other was paralyzed in one leg, still alive as far as I know, probably a Trump supporter now. Don't know if the polio affected his brain.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 24, 2022 10:06AM
Firesign said it best
"Forward into the past!"

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 24, 2022 11:53AM
Its part of the basic 4 vaccine shot everyone (not an idiot) gets here. I just got a booster maybe last year.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Date: June 24, 2022 12:10PM
Racer X
Its part of the basic 4 vaccine shot everyone (not an idiot) gets here. I just got a booster maybe last year.

???

"Most adults do not need polio vaccine because they were already vaccinated as children. But three groups of adults are at higher risk and should consider polio vaccination in the following situations:
- You are traveling to a country where the risk of getting polio is greater. Ask your healthcare provider for specific information on whether you need to be vaccinated.
- You are working in a laboratory and handling specimens that might contain polioviruses.
- You are a healthcare worker treating patients who could have polio or have close contact with a person who could be infected with poliovirus."

"Adults who are at increased risk of exposure to poliovirus and who have previously completed a routine series of polio vaccine (IPV or OPV) can receive one lifetime booster dose of IPV."

[www.cdc.gov]
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 24, 2022 04:52PM
DeusxMac
Racer X

???

"Most adults do not need polio vaccine because they were already vaccinated as children. But three groups of adults are at higher risk and should consider polio vaccination in the following situations:
- You are traveling to a country where the risk of getting polio is greater. Ask your healthcare provider for specific information on whether you need to be vaccinated.
- You are working in a laboratory and handling specimens that might contain polioviruses.
- You are a healthcare worker treating patients who could have polio or have close contact with a person who could be infected with poliovirus."

"Adults who are at increased risk of exposure to poliovirus and who have previously completed a routine series of polio vaccine (IPV or OPV) can receive one lifetime booster dose of IPV."

[www.cdc.gov]

Yeah, I don't know which vaccines Racer X is thinking of, but the only regular booster shots for adults are for diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis. That is alongside the yearly recommended vaccines for influenza. The only polio vaccine used regularly in the US is the inactivated polio vaccine, IPV, that was initially developed by Salk. The oral attenuated vaccine is only used outside the US, and may be recommended for travel to some countries as it provides better protection from infection through the gut.
Date: June 24, 2022 10:22PM
I was wrong. I checked and it was the tdap booster.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Date: June 25, 2022 11:46AM
....so you dtapped that.....???

Date: June 27, 2022 03:17AM
my 2nd grade teacher had polio as a child, I assume. At the time, my only thoughts were about how cool the controls in her car were.

That things like polio and whooping cough are coming back makes me sad. It's completely preventable.

I understand that where many people may have come here from, prevention wasn't readily available, but today, here in the US, it is so easy to prevent these diseases.

Mom, aunt, grandmother, former MIL, partner's mom, cousin, partner's daughter-in-law, all nurses. I grew up hearing about how horrible this stuff was on kids back then. But back then is becoming now again.

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 119
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020