advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Re: Roe and Casey have been overturned.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 24, 2022 04:41PM
Anyone with half a brain could see what a Trump/McConnell duo would do to this country, regardless of any of the supposed "facts" you are laying out here.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 24, 2022 04:45PM
Rolando
Acer
What's next?
Gay marriage? Affirmative action? Desegregation? Jim Crow laws?
I'm sure they are anxious for another go at the ACA. too.

You forgot Miscegenation.
But I was married to Ginny, I might vote to overturn Loving vs Virginia!

$tevie
@#$%& everyone who didn't vote for Hillary because she was a "neoliberal" or a "hawk" or "boring" or a "bitch" or a woman or Bill's wife or NOT BERNIE. @#$%& you all.

How about @#$%& HILLARY for deciding to @#$%& over half her party and expecting them to vote for her anyway? And also @#$%& HILLARY for not telling 3 of the greatest campaigners of modern times, Bill, Barack, and Bernie, to not go out on the road and campaign for her.

BTW, I did vote for her, even tho she was third choice on that ballot.

Rolando suffering from temporary insanity. We'll get through it together my friend.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 24, 2022 05:09PM
Date: June 24, 2022 05:12PM
senate clown votes 'aye' in the Plot Against America

Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) on Friday said conservative Justices Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch misled her about their views on the importance of Supreme Court precedent during their confirmation proceedings in 2017 and 2018.

Collins, who voted to confirm then-President Trump’s first two conservative nominees to the court despite her support for abortion rights, has said she believed those justices would hold up important precedents such as Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 decision that established a constitutional right to abortion. A court majority that included Kavanaugh and Gorsuch struck down that right on Friday.

“This decision is inconsistent with what Justices Gorsuch and Kavanaugh said in their testimony and their meetings with me, where they both were insistent on the importance of supporting long-standing precedents that the country has relied upon,” Collins said, explaining her votes for those nominees during the Trump administration.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 24, 2022 05:21PM
Steve G.

Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) on Friday said conservative Justices Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch misled her about their views on the importance of Supreme Court precedent during their confirmation proceedings in 2017 and 2018.

Collins, who voted to confirm then-President Trump’s first two conservative nominees to the court despite her support for abortion rights, has said she believed those justices would hold up important precedents such as Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 decision that established a constitutional right to abortion. A court majority that included Kavanaugh and Gorsuch struck down that right on Friday.

“This decision is inconsistent with what Justices Gorsuch and Kavanaugh said in their testimony and their meetings with me, where they both were insistent on the importance of supporting long-standing precedents that the country has relied upon,” Collins said, explaining her votes for those nominees during the Trump administration.

But she’s sure they’ve learned their lesson now. smiley-talk034
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 24, 2022 05:57PM
$tevie
Anyone with half a brain could see what a Trump/McConnell duo would do has done to this country, regardless of any of the supposed "facts" you are laying out here.

FTFY.

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 24, 2022 05:59PM
Steve G.

I see she felt the need to get this out there AGAIN.

It is what it is.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 24, 2022 06:11PM
Hopefully, now that this has happened, women will come out en masse to cancel these ultra religious right, white males - at all levels of government.

How about men?

They bear a share in this fight as well.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: June 24, 2022 06:23PM
DeusxMac
Steve G.

Yep, they learned that they can be duplicitous @#$%& and she'll pretend to buy it because she is spineless.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 24, 2022 06:40PM
vision63
Rolando
Acer
What's next?

But if I was married to Ginny, I might vote to overturn Loving vs Virginia!

$tevie
@#$%& everyone who didn't vote for Hillary because she was a "neoliberal" or a "hawk" or "boring" or a "bitch" or a woman or Bill's wife or NOT BERNIE. @#$%& you all.

How about @#$%& HILLARY for deciding to @#$%& over half her party and expecting them to vote for her anyway? And also @#$%& HILLARY for not telling 3 of the greatest campaigners of modern times, Bill, Barack, and Bernie, to not go out on the road and campaign for her.

Rolando suffering from temporary insanity. We'll get through it together my friend.

Yeah, I'm the one...

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: June 24, 2022 08:08PM
Rolando
vision63
Rolando
Acer
What's next?

$tevie

Yeah, I'm the one...

N'eah mind

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2022 08:31PM by vision63.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 24, 2022 09:21PM
Ted King
DeusxMac
Steve G.

Yep, they learned that they can be duplicitous @#$%& and she'll pretend to buy it because she is spineless.

I'm sorry, but it's so obvious that she's been playing the fence on this issue and others all along. She is a Republican in a mostly conservative (albeit fiercely independent) state. What else do people think she's going to do? She's PANDERING.
Date: June 24, 2022 09:47PM
mrbigstuff
Ted King
DeusxMac
Steve G.

I'm sorry, but it's so obvious that she's been playing the fence on this issue and others all along. She is a Republican in a mostly conservative (albeit fiercely independent) state. What else do people think she's going to do? She's PANDERING.

People are just frustrated and she's an easy mark. She wouldn't even matter if more people voted.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 24, 2022 11:22PM
mrbigstuff
I'm sorry, but it's so obvious that she's been playing the fence on this issue and others all along. She is a Republican in a mostly conservative (albeit fiercely independent) state.

Its still annoying.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 25, 2022 03:08AM
Rolando
vision63
Rolando
Acer
What's next?

$tevie

Yeah, I'm the one...

Wasn't Rolando, it was me.
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 25, 2022 09:59AM
A few important words worth noting:

[In Roe,] the Court struck a balance, as it often does when values and goals compete. It held that the State could prohibit abortions after fetal viability, so long as the ban contained exceptions to safeguard a woman’s life or health. It held that even before viability, the State could regulate the abortion procedure in multiple and meaningful ways.

…Today, the Court discards that balance. It says that from the very moment of fertilization, a woman has no rights to speak of.…As of today, this Court holds, a State can always force a woman to give birth, prohibiting even the earliest abortions.

…To the majority “balance” is a dirty word, as moderation is a foreign concept. The majority would allow States to ban abortion from conception onward because it does not think forced childbirth at all implicates a woman’s rights to equality and freedom. Today’s Court, that is, does not think there is anything of constitutional significance attached to a woman’s control of her body and the path of her life.

…And eliminating that right… is not taking a “neutral” position, as JUSTICE KAVANAUGH tries to argue. His idea is that neutrality lies in giving the abortion issue to the States, where some can go one way and some another. But would he say that the Court is being “scrupulously neutral” if it allowed New York and California to ban all the guns they want?… What, then, of the right to contraception or same-sex marriage? Would it be “scrupulously neutral” for the Court to eliminate those rights too?

…[Justice Thomas says [in future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court’s substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell.” And when we reconsider them? Then “we have a duty” to “overrul[e] these demonstrably erroneous decisions.

… Consider, as our last word on this issue, contraception. The Constitution, of course, does not mention that word. And there is no historical right to contraception, of the kind the majority insists on. To the contrary, the American legal landscape in the decades after the Civil War was littered with bans on the sale of contraceptive devices… If the majority is serious about its historical approach, then Griswold and its progeny are in the line of fire too.

Because laws in 1868 deprived women of any control over their bodies, the majority approves States doing so today. Because those laws prevented women from charting the course of their own lives, the majority says States can do the same again.

… The majority has overruled Roe and Casey for one and only one reason: because it has always despised them, and now it has the votes to discard them. The majority thereby substitutes a rule by judges for the rule of law.

…The American public [previous Justices felt] should never conclude that its constitutional protections hung by a thread—that a new majority, adhering to a new “doctrinal school,” could “by dint of numbers” alone expunge their rights. It is hard—no, it is impossible—to conclude that anything else has happened here.

sad smiley
Posted by: Janit
Date: June 25, 2022 10:12AM
Why don't they just go ahead and do what they really want to do: declare the whole 13th and 14th amendments unconstitutional as well.

I mean why not? The 13th and the 14th weren't in the original constitution, were they? I'm sure the so-called justices can find some sophistry that will justify cutting them.

Time to bring back slavery, with all it's historical justifications.

</sarcasm>
Date: June 25, 2022 12:34PM
btw Manchin is"disappointed".

seems he says he was lied to by Gorch and Beer-boy
Date: June 25, 2022 01:51PM
Tell me again what Manchin is good for?
Date: June 25, 2022 02:35PM
pdq

In this 117th Congress there have been 770 Senate votes. Manchin has voted on behalf of Democrats on 95% of them. If he was a Republican he would have voted for just maybe 8% of them. We're mad at him for literally a few votes.

It's either you want a Republican or you want him. There are no other choices.
Date: June 25, 2022 02:48PM
vision63
pdq

In this 117th Congress there have been 770 Senate votes. Manchin has voted on behalf of Democrats on 95% of them. If he was a Republican he would have voted for just maybe 8% of them. We're mad at him for literally a few votes.

How often has his vote counted in those?

When it does count, he goes on Fox and cries about how he tried, really tried to want to support basic Democratic priorities.

I'd take a Cheney or a Kinzinger over Manchin.
Date: June 25, 2022 03:31PM
pdq
vision63
pdq

How often has his vote counted in those?

When it does count, he goes on Fox and cries about how he tried, really tried to want to support basic Democratic priorities.

I'd take a Cheney or a Kinzinger over Manchin.

Not if you examined their voting records. Manchin did vote "for" the Infrastructure bill. Sure, after he reduced it. He even negotiated on the BBB bill. No Republican would have. Not a single squad member voted "yea" on the infrastructure bill, but not a single word came out of our mouths about that (I did). They voted "with" Republicans. Our enemies aren't just Republicans.

He offered a minimum wage proposal that was rejected because it wasn't $15. So the Fed minimum wage stays stuck at $7.25 an hour.

If Manchin bothers people so much, why didn't they show up to vote when it mattered? There are just 48 Democratic Senators. If Warnock or Mark Kelly loses, what would people be complaining about then?

We need to stop complaining and dogging out Democrats and focus on our real enemies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2022 03:34PM by vision63.
Date: June 25, 2022 03:40PM
I understand where you're coming from. I just think that having an opponent you can trust is almost better than an "ally" you can't.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 25, 2022 04:08PM
pdq
I understand where you're coming from. I just think that having an opponent you can trust is almost better than an "ally" you can't.

Saying that you'd rather have a senate with a repub majority is kinda crazy - where is the win there?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020