advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"How outlawing abortion could worsen America's maternal mortality crisis"
Posted by: Ted King
Date: June 25, 2022 02:01PM
[www.kcra.com]#

Rates of pregnancy-related deaths in the U.S. are the highest in the developed world and have risen steadily over time, with Black women three times more likely to die in pregnancy or childbirth than white women. The CDC recently reported that the rate of pregnancy-related deaths increased from 20.1 in 2019 to 23.8 in 2020, continuing a worrying trend of worsening maternal health outcomes for people in the United States.
- - - -
Maternal mortality rates are already high in those states certain or likely to ban abortion — 47% higher than the national rate, according to a CNN analysis of 2018 data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the most recent available.

Overall, states with the most restrictive abortion laws had a 7% higher maternal mortality rate than states with fewer restrictions, according to a 2021 study in the American Journal of Public Health.

States that restricted abortion based on gestational limits saw a steep rise in the maternal mortality rate by 38%, according to a 2020 study in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine. A 20% reduction in Planned Parenthood clinics in a state between 2007-2015 resulted, on average, in an increase in the state's maternal mortality rates by 8%.
- - - -
Access to maternal care is also worse in the 26 states that the Guttmacher Institute expects will be certain or likely to ban abortion. More than half of all counties in these states are classified as having low access to maternal care or are maternity-care deserts, according to a CNN analysis of data from the March of Dimes, compared to 39% of counties in states that are not likely to ban abortion if Roe is overturned.

Nationwide, approximately 5.1 million women aged 15-44 live in areas with low access to maternal care — or "maternity care deserts," according to a 2020 report from the March of Dimes, a nonprofit that advocates for better health care outcomes for mothers and babies. The organization defines a maternity care desert as any county where there is no hospital offering obstetric care, no birth center and no obstetric provider. In these counties, people carrying a pregnancy to term may face significant barriers in receiving quality care for both the parent and child. The 2020 average annual median household income for these counties was $49,518, below the national median household income of $67,521.

"Those sorts of structural environments tend to go hand in hand," Rice said. "States with highly restrictive abortion environments also generally have fewer policies supporting health and well being of pregnant people, as well as their children and their families."

I'm sure this will change now that PRO-LIFE forces have won in the Supreme Court. Especially the exceptionally high pregnancy mortality rates for black women.
/sarcasm

e pluribus unum
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "How outlawing abortion could worsen America's maternal mortality crisis"
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 25, 2022 02:21PM
Whenever pro-life people talk about how the world will be generally more humane without abortion all I can do is change the subject.

Posted by: pdq
Date: June 25, 2022 02:41PM
Kind of like how "an armed society is a polite society".

They do have their little fantasies, don't they?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 25, 2022 03:29PM
Gotta love passive aggressive @#$%&, but I forgive you, pdq.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 26, 2022 04:14PM
RAMd®d
Gotta love passive aggressive @#$%&, but I forgive you, pdq.

On behalf of pdq, it’s functionally an insult to grant “forgiveness” where none is needed.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 26, 2022 06:47PM
Thank you Ted for bringing this up, it's important.

Yes our already dismal maternal death rate will get worse.

In addition, there will be more hesitancy to give care to fertile women until pregnancy status is confirmed. Guys probably don't know this, but if you are female and childbearing age, the first thing you get asked in any care situation, including the dentist, is, "any chance you are pregnant?" And they take your word if you say no.
That will change. Women will wait for unnecessary pregnancy test results before care begins . And those delays will cost lives.

We're just beginning to comprehend what this all means. None of it is good.

Women have lost their status, we are 2nd class or worse now.

Which is what they wanted, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2022 06:49PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: Diana
Date: June 26, 2022 07:03PM
Lemon Drop
Thank you Ted for bringing this up, it's important.

Yes our already dismal maternal death rate will get worse.

In addition, there will be more hesitancy to give care to fertile women until pregnancy status is confirmed. Guys probably don't know this, but if you are female and childbearing age, the first thing you get asked in any care situation, including the dentist, is, "any chance you are pregnant?" And they take your word if you say no.
That will change. Women will wait for unnecessary pregnancy test results before care begins . And those delays will cost lives.

We're just beginning to comprehend what this all means. None of it is good.

Women have lost their status, we are 2nd class or worse now.

Which is what they wanted, of course.

And lest you think this is an aberration, I once had a metal part of a DESK in an office hit my shinbone, skinned in, and caused it to bleed. As I was at work, and I was (and unfortunately still am) in Oklahoma, I was sent to the clinic (AF base). The first thing out of the guy’s mouth was “When was your last period?” which elicited the annoyed “What has that got to do with THIS???” as I pointed to my shin, giving him the raised eyebrow look that clearly said “you’re an idiot.” He backed down, treated the scrape, and I was back to work in short time. I was in my early 20s then, and 40 years later it hasn’t changed much. And now, it will go back to what it was.

The crap I’ve had to put up with would never have happened if I were male. Even now, I’m talked down to and talked over, treated as an idiot, or just a curiosity as I’m surely “not smart, cannot be smart.” It doesn’t matter how old you are, how much education you have, how hard you work… it just doesn’t matter.

If women ever had status, well, we certainly don’t now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2022 07:17PM by Diana.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 26, 2022 07:50PM
I hear you Diana. We've all put up with so many indignities, large and small.
I'm heartbroken for younger women. They don't deserve this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 70
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020