advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Fauci tests positive again for COVID45
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 30, 2022 05:51AM
[www.nytimes.com]

Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, President Biden’s top medical adviser for the coronavirus pandemic, sought on Wednesday to discourage doubts about the antiviral drug Paxlovid after disclosing that he had suffered what appeared to be a “rebound” of Covid-19 after taking a five-day course of the pills.

“Paxlovid did what it was supposed to do,” Dr. Fauci, 81, said in an interview, saying that he believed that the treatment, made by Pfizer, kept him out of the hospital when he first tested positive for the virus on June 15. He added that he thought the drug also reduced the severity of his initial symptoms.

One thing Paxlovid could not do was keep Dr. Fauci from missing his daughter’s wedding. It went on without him in New Orleans two Saturdays ago, when he was sidelined with his initial infection. He participated remotely.

Dr. Fauci has been vaccinated against Covid and has received two booster doses. His experience with Paxlovid adds to a growing body of anecdotal evidence about patients whose Covid symptoms improved after they took Paxlovid, and who even tested negative, only to have symptoms occur again a few days later. That is exactly what happened to him, Dr. Fauci said; he recently tested positive again after three days of negative tests.

In late May, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention addressed what it called “the potential for recurrence of Covid-19 or ‘Covid-19 rebound.’” It issued an emergency health advisory that described the phenomenon as “a recurrence of symptoms or a new positive viral test after having tested negative” when the initial diagnosis was in the past two weeks.

The agency advised that people experiencing the rebound “should restart isolation and isolate again for at least 5 days” in line with the agency’s isolation recommendations for infected patients, regardless of whether they might have gotten antiviral treatment or isolated after the initial infection.

The advisory noted that “a brief return of symptoms may be part of the natural history of” coronavirus infection in some people, independent of Paxlovid treatment and regardless of vaccination status. It also said that based on some case reports, the rebound did not represent reinfection with the coronavirus, or the development of resistance to Paxlovid.

The C.D.C. said that Paxlovid “continues to be recommended for early-stage treatment of mild to moderate Covid-19 among persons at high risk for progression to severe disease.” The Food and Drug Administration authorized Paxlovid for high-risk people age 12 and older who weigh at least 88 pounds.

For his part, Dr. Fauci tested positive for the coronavirus about two weeks ago after experiencing a “scratchy throat.” He described his initial symptoms as mild, adding that he did not “feel ill.” He began a five-day course of Paxlovid. (“I’m 81 years old, which is a considerable risk factor,” he explained.) After that, he tested negative for three days in a row.

But on the fourth day, he said, he was “surprised and disappointed” to see that he had tested positive again, and he suffered a recurrence of symptoms, he said, that were worse than before, including a low fever, achiness, a runny nose and a “mild cough.”

He called his doctor (you may be wondering who Dr. Fauci’s doctor is, but he would not say) and got a prescription for another five-day course of Paxlovid. In its advisory in late May, the C.D.C. noted that there was no evidence that additional treatment was needed with Paxlovid or other Covid therapies when rebound was suspected. But Dr. Fauci said taking two courses is relatively common among those who suffer rebounds.

In Pfizer’s application for emergency-use authorization of Paxlovid, the company did suggest that “several subjects appeared to have a rebound in SARS-CoV-2 RNA levels around Day 10 or Day 14.” But the rebound occurred in both those who received Paxlovid and placebo treatment, the company said.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2022 05:52AM by Speedy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Fauci tests positive again for COVID45
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 30, 2022 07:26AM
My 91 year old mom tested positive for Covid on Monday. She had a fever and a bad cough. She had started showing symptoms on Sunday, maybe slight symptoms on Saturday, but full blown on Sunday. She had a bad cough, fever, and bad aches and pains.

Anyway, she went to the doctor on Monday morning, they tested her, she was positive, and they put her in the hospital mostly for observation, fluids, etc. She lives in a small town and literally lives across the street from the hospital, so it was a lot easier for her to go to the hospital than it would be for a lot of people. She could almost see her house from her room, but she was on the side and not the end that faces her house.

They started her on Paxlovid Monday afternoon. She felt a lot better by the next day. Her fever went down, she showed no clots on the CT scan, and she never needed supplemental oxygen, so they let her go home yesterday.

She will finish her Paxlovid on Saturday morning. Assuming she isn't running a fever or has gotten worse, I am planning to drive over to her house, about 2.5 hours away, on Sunday. I will try to stay outside with her as much as possible, but if it is raining or 90° outside, we might have to be inside together. I hope she doesn't get a rebound case, but the Paxlovid sure seemed to help her feel better quickly.

I am debating if I need to give her a rapid test when I get there.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Ted King
Date: June 30, 2022 07:36AM
rgG
My 91 year old mom tested positive for Covid on Monday. She had a fever and a bad cough. She had started showing symptoms on Sunday, maybe slight symptoms on Saturday, but full blown on Sunday. She had a bad cough, fever, and bad aches and pains.

Anyway, she went to the doctor on Monday morning, they tested her, she was positive, and they put her in the hospital mostly for observation, fluids, etc. She lives in a small town and literally lives across the street from the hospital, so it was a lot easier for her to go to the hospital than it would be for a lot of people. She could almost see her house from her room, but she was on the side and not the end that faces her house.

They started her on Paxlovid Monday afternoon. She felt a lot better by the next day. Her fever went down, she showed no clots on the CT scan, and she never needed supplemental oxygen, so they let her go home yesterday.

She will finish her Paxlovid on Saturday morning. Assuming she isn't running a fever or has gotten worse, I am planning to drive over to her house, about 2.5 hours away, on Sunday. I will try to stay outside with her as much as possible, but if it is raining or 90° outside, we might have to be inside together. I hope she doesn't get a rebound case, but the Paxlovid sure seemed to help her feel better quickly.

I am debating if I need to give her a rapid test when I get there.

Best wishes for your mother having a good recovery and that you have an uneventful and pleasant time with your mom. I'm sure she will be very grateful and happy to see you.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 30, 2022 08:02AM
....so did both Hugh Jackman and then Sutton Foster......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: June 30, 2022 08:02AM
I talked to her this morning. She thinks I should wait a little longer before I come over. I told her we would talk about it later in the week.
She has plenty of food and everything and people who will bring her whatever she needs, but it makes me feel pretty useless. sad smiley
I just want her to get better, but I know it will take a while. She is not happy with the extreme bitter taste the Paxlovid gives her, but she has a positive attitude about it.
She is very independent and a fighter. Her mom and her two older sisters all lived into their 90’s and she is arguably in the best shape of any of them. One of her sisters got Covid early on, she was maybe 92-93, and she recovered. She has one younger sister who is about 86, I think.
I agree with her that I do not want to get it, even though I have had four shots, I know I could easily get it, if I am not careful.
Ugh.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Date: June 30, 2022 08:03AM
NewtonMP2100
....so did both Hugh Jackman and then Sutton Foster......

And Stephen Colbert

Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 30, 2022 09:16AM
Wish your mom well.
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 30, 2022 11:17AM
"I am debating if I need to give her a rapid test when I get there."

Other than cost, what would any downsides be? dunno smiley
Posted by: davester
Date: June 30, 2022 11:39AM
testcase

The very small downside might be a false sense of security if the test is negative since rebound can occur. Also, be sure to wear a tight-fitting N95 around your mom even if the test is negative.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Mr645
Date: June 30, 2022 12:02PM
Glad she has access to Trumps vaccines. Even though you can still catch COVID 46, symptoms are far less
Date: June 30, 2022 12:42PM
I think I will be waiting a bit longer to go, unless she needs me specifically for something.
Since she says to wait, I think that’s the way to go.

I will try to get her to get a PCR test before I go, if I wait a full 14 days. That should show if there is any rebound.

Date: June 30, 2022 12:44PM
testcase

I have the tests, so not a cost issue. Just doing the test, not pleasant, as you know, and deciding how accurate I feel the results are, is the only thing.

Date: June 30, 2022 12:47PM
Mr645
Glad she has access to Trumps vaccines. Even though you can still catch COVID 46, symptoms are far less

She isn’t drinking bleach or taking Ivermectin, so maybe not the T**** vaccines.
I am very happy Moderna/Pfizer came up with vaccines and she wasn’t one of the ignorant MAGA people that refused to take the shots.

Posted by: hal
Date: June 30, 2022 01:06PM
glad your mom shows good signs of a strong recovery
Date: June 30, 2022 02:55PM
rgG
Mr645

She isn’t drinking bleach or taking Ivermectin, so maybe not the T**** vaccines.
I am very happy Moderna/Pfizer came up with vaccines and she wasn’t one of the ignorant MAGA people that refused to take the shots.

Also be glad she didn't listen to ignorant people like Joe Biden who said he doesn't trust a vaccine released under President Trump
Date: June 30, 2022 03:24PM
Mr645
rgG
Mr645

Also be glad she didn't listen to ignorant people like Joe Biden who said he doesn't trust a vaccine released under President Trump

You know that’s a lie, right?

Date: June 30, 2022 05:28PM
rgG
Mr645
rgG
Mr645

[www.reuters.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 30, 2022 06:09PM
rgG
My 91 year old mom tested positive for Covid on Monday..

As did my father, age 94, just as they were going to release him on Monday from a hospital stay for a UTI. The hospital decided to keep him. There were at least two other people with COVID45 infections that were picked up in the hospital. My MAGAt sister is looking after him and it wouldn’t surprise me if she was the vector. Fortunately he is vaxxed but has had only one booster and is asymptomatic.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 30, 2022 06:11PM
Mr645
rgG
Mr645
rgG
Mr645

[www.reuters.com]

Reading comprehension issues once again. Try reading MORE than just the headline of an article; there's a slim chance you might actually learn something!

SEPTEMBER 16, 2020
"Biden warned against trying to rush out an unfinished vaccine ahead of the Nov. 3 election."

"Trump’s penchant for spreading misinformation about the coronavirus may hurt his ability to assure Americans of the vaccine’s safety..."

"Biden has sought for months to portray Trump’s response to the outbreak as a failure that has caused tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths. His argument was bolstered last week by the release of recorded interviews between Trump and journalist Bob Woodward, in which the president acknowledged deliberately downplaying the deadliness of the virus."
Posted by: bfd
Date: June 30, 2022 10:45PM
Details, details… smiley-laughing001

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2022 10:45PM by bfd.
Date: July 01, 2022 05:42AM
DeusxMac
Mr645
rgG
Mr645
rgG
Mr645

[www.reuters.com]

Reading comprehension issues once again. Try reading MORE than just the headline of an article; there's a slim chance you might actually learn something!

SEPTEMBER 16, 2020
"Biden warned against trying to rush out an unfinished vaccine ahead of the Nov. 3 election."

"Trump’s penchant for spreading misinformation about the coronavirus may hurt his ability to assure Americans of the vaccine’s safety..."

"Biden has sought for months to portray Trump’s response to the outbreak as a failure that has caused tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths. His argument was bolstered last week by the release of recorded interviews between Trump and journalist Bob Woodward, in which the president acknowledged deliberately downplaying the deadliness of the virus."

Medical experts, such as Dr. Jerome Adams stated that there is likely no other President that could have done what Trump did to battle COVID-19. He was on point 7 days a week, meeting with him, Fauci and team experts and making sure what needed to get done got done. While President Trump was blocking travel and pushing the nation to rise to the demand for medical support, ventilators, 100's of emergency hospitals, Trump got it done. When the medical industry and Fauci said 2 million Americans could die, Trump kept it down to 500k, of course our current president Bidet, is responsible for over 600k deaths even with Trump vaccines. But look on the bright side, sure, 600,000 Americans have died from COVID-19 under Joe's leadership, but no more mean tweets.
Date: July 01, 2022 05:45AM
""Biden warned against trying to rush out an unfinished vaccine ahead of the Nov. 3 election." "

Again, Joe and the Democrats pushing scare tactics, calling travel bans racist, trying to convince the US that Trumps "rushed" vaccines aren't safe, lying to the American public. Joe and Pelosi are responsible for an unknown number of American deaths "Come to China Town"
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: July 01, 2022 06:30AM
[nymag.com]

Why Trump Ended the Task Force and Put a Kook in Charge of the Coronavirus

President Trump ignored public-health experts, and instead elevated ideological cranks...

[twitter.com]

Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus response coordinator under former President Trump, said in a CNN documentary clip that she thinks the US could have saved hundreds of thousands of lives lost to Covid-19 following the pandemic's first surge. [cnn.it]

[news.yahoo.com]

WASHINGTON - The Trump administration repeatedly interfered with efforts by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last year to issue warnings and guidance about the evolving coronavirus pandemic, six current and former health officials told congressional investigators in recent interviews...

See also:

[www.thedailybeast.com]

[www.washingtonpost.com]

[arstechnica.com]

Etc.

Operation Warp Speed happened despite 45, not because of him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2022 06:33AM by Tiangou.
Posted by: Janit
Date: July 01, 2022 06:52AM
Mr645

Spreading misinformation KILLS people. I hope for their sakes that the people you know IRL are smart enough to ignore you
Date: July 01, 2022 07:17AM
Tiangou
[nymag.com]

Why Trump Ended the Task Force and Put a Kook in Charge of the Coronavirus

President Trump ignored public-health experts, and instead elevated ideological cranks...

[twitter.com]

Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus response coordinator under former President Trump, said in a CNN documentary clip that she thinks the US could have saved hundreds of thousands of lives lost to Covid-19 following the pandemic's first surge. [cnn.it]

[news.yahoo.com]

WASHINGTON - The Trump administration repeatedly interfered with efforts by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last year to issue warnings and guidance about the evolving coronavirus pandemic, six current and former health officials told congressional investigators in recent interviews...

See also:

[www.thedailybeast.com]

[www.washingtonpost.com]

[arstechnica.com]

Etc.

Operation Warp Speed happened despite 45, not because of him.

Spreading misinformation kills people. Sad that leftist liberal ignore facts and results. Trump delivered against COVID better than experts said was possible, kept Russia, Iran and North Korea in check, delivered economic prosperity to women and minorities. In a year Biden destroyed all that, while allowing 600,000+ Americans to die from COVID when he had access to vaccines.
Date: July 01, 2022 08:45AM
Mr645
[Medical experts, such as Dr. Jerome Adams stated that there is likely no other President that could have done what Trump did to battle COVID-19. He was on point 7 days a week, meeting with him, Fauci and team experts and making sure what needed to get done got done.

"Adams initially downplayed the risk from COVID-19 by comparing it to the flu, which was criticized by experts.'
"After Adams made statements about the increased risks facing African Americans from COVID-19, health experts criticized his assertions as misleading and lacking adequate context."

"He is board certified in anesthesiology"
RollingEyesSmiley5

Mr645
While President Trump was blocking travel and pushing the nation to rise to the demand for medical support, ventilators, 100's of emergency hospitals, Trump got it done.

"...Trump has again downplayed the severity of an intensifying coronavirus outbreak, telling...Sean Hannity he had 'a feeling that a lot of the numbers' of ventilators estimated to be needed by overwhelmed hospitals 'are just bigger than they’re going to be.' 'I don’t believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators. You go into major hospitals sometimes, and they’ll have two ventilators. And now all of a sudden they’re saying, ‘Can we order 30,000 ventilators?’

“'Respirators, ventilators, all of the equipment — try getting it yourselves,' Mr. Trump told the governors... Point of sales, much better, much more direct if you can get it yourself.'"

Mr645
When the medical industry and Fauci said 2 million Americans could die, Trump kept it down to 500k, of course our current president Bidet, is responsible for over 600k deaths even with Trump vaccines. But look on the bright side, sure, 600,000 Americans have died from COVID-19 under Joe's leadership, but no more mean tweets.

1. Covid-19 didn't arrive in the U.S. with a first case until January 20, 2020. Pandemics do NOT arrive at maximum infection, they SPREAD over time.
2. tRump was President for only 12 months of the pandemic; the months when it spread from a single death in February 2020 to over 300,000 deaths by December. "...it was the third-leading cause of death in the U.S. in 2020."
3. Covid-19 had already spread nationwide by the time Biden took office: he's been dealing with tRump's nationwide spread, and for far longer.
Date: July 01, 2022 08:58AM
Mr645
Spreading misinformation kills people. Sad that leftist liberal ignore facts and results. Trump delivered against COVID better than experts said was possible, kept Russia, Iran and North Korea in check, delivered economic prosperity to women and minorities. In a year Biden destroyed all that, while allowing 600,000+ Americans to die from COVID when he had access to vaccines.

You have been seriously (terminally?) GASLIT!

"Obama’s Last Three Years Of Job Growth All Beat Trump’s Best Year" Feb 7, 2020

"Trump continually says that, “the U.S. is experiencing the best economy ever.” This is obvious gaslighting since the new results show that President Trump’s best year of job growth was 2.314 million in 2018 (the first year of the tax cut) but it falls short of any of Obama’s last three years. His boasts also don’t stand up when you peel the onion on GDP growth and realize that the Federal deficits during his Presidency will exceed any that were not impacted by a recession."

"US economy shrank by 3.5% in 2020, the worst year since second world war"
Date: July 01, 2022 09:15AM
"'I don’t believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators. You go into major hospitals sometimes, and they’ll have two ventilators. And now all of a sudden they’re saying, ‘Can we order 30,000 ventilators?’ "

And as usual, Trump was right. Cuomo said he will need 40,000 ventilators, then adjusted it to 30,000 and stopped accepting ventilators after just 8,000 were delivered. A moth later began sending ventilators oto other states.

[www.nbcnewyork.com]
Date: July 01, 2022 09:20AM
Under obama unemployment dropped to 4% which he said was equal to zero since at any given time 4% of the population does not want to work. Trump proved him wrong.

Under Obama the wage gap grew by record levels, Trump was the only president to actually close the wage gap.

US GDP still shrinking in 2022. Biden=economic disaster

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2022 09:20AM by Mr645.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: July 01, 2022 11:50AM
Mr645
"'I don’t believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators. You go into major hospitals sometimes, and they’ll have two ventilators. And now all of a sudden they’re saying, ‘Can we order 30,000 ventilators?’ "

And as usual, Trump was right. Cuomo said he will need 40,000 ventilators, then adjusted it to 30,000 and stopped accepting ventilators after just 8,000 were delivered. A moth later began sending ventilators oto other states.

[www.nbcnewyork.com]

No such facts in evidence.

Your citation doesn't cover anything you've stated. Here's one from the same time period that actually DOES cover NY's ventilator crisis:

[buffalonews.com]

New York needs 30,000 ventilators; it has half that, Cuomo says

"Ventilators, ventilators, ventilators," Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said Wednesday at a daily news briefing in Albany.

The governor said New York State is expected to need as many as 30,000 ventilators.

"Normally, we have 4,000. We have purchased 7,000. The federal gov has sent 4,000," Cuomo said. That's half the anticipated number needed.

Doctors are exploring the possibility of doubling up patients on a ventilator, a tactic that was used in Italy as they experienced a surge in critically sick patients, Cuomo said.

The governor is also floating the idea of a "rolling deployment" of ventilators – he wants other states to send New York their ventilators.

...New projections show that hospitalizations in the state could peak in as little as two to three weeks, with as many as 140,000 patients statewide.

There aren't enough ventilators to supply every community in the country at once, Cuomo said.

His idea: send them to New York now where it's most likely be needed first. Then, once the peak subsides, the ventilators would be sent to the community that experiences the next surge.

"Send us the equipment that we need," he said. "As soon as we get past our critical moment we will redeploy that equipment and personnel to the next hot spot. I will personally guarantee it.".

Date: July 01, 2022 03:42PM
Tiangou
Mr645

[www.nbcnewyork.com]

No such facts in evidence.

Your citation doesn't cover anything you've stated. Here's one from the same time period that actually DOES cover NY's ventilator crisis:

[buffalonews.com]

New York needs 30,000 ventilators; it has half that, Cuomo says

"Ventilators, ventilators, ventilators," Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said Wednesday at a daily news briefing in Albany.

The governor said New York State is expected to need as many as 30,000 ventilators.

"Normally, we have 4,000. We have purchased 7,000. The federal gov has sent 4,000," Cuomo said. That's half the anticipated number needed.

Doctors are exploring the possibility of doubling up patients on a ventilator, a tactic that was used in Italy as they experienced a surge in critically sick patients, Cuomo said.

The governor is also floating the idea of a "rolling deployment" of ventilators – he wants other states to send New York their ventilators.

...New projections show that hospitalizations in the state could peak in as little as two to three weeks, with as many as 140,000 patients statewide.

There aren't enough ventilators to supply every community in the country at once, Cuomo said.

His idea: send them to New York now where it's most likely be needed first. Then, once the peak subsides, the ventilators would be sent to the community that experiences the next surge.

"Send us the equipment that we need," he said. "As soon as we get past our critical moment we will redeploy that equipment and personnel to the next hot spot. I will personally guarantee it.".

That was before Trump got things going. No patients ever went without. But doctors did an amazing job figuring out how to use one machine for multiple patients if needed.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 01, 2022 03:57PM
Because what we want from the party of small government is the federal government second-guessing the needs expressed by the state government?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020