advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Involuntary relocation
Posted by: samintx
Date: July 02, 2022 05:22PM
Texas has a New moniker for slavery…involuntary relocation…says it all RollingEyesSmiley5

A workgroup proposing to use the phrase 'involuntary relocation' to describe people sold into slavery in K-2 curriculum was directed to reassess their recommendation, the chair of the Texas State Board of Education said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2022 05:25PM by samintx.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Involuntary relocation
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 02, 2022 05:27PM
Sounds alright so long as the Texas State Board of Education also renames itself to Texas State Board of Indoctrination; what say you?
Posted by: hal
Date: July 02, 2022 05:53PM
"K-2 curriculum"

kids K-2nd won't know what 'involuntary' or 'relocation' means - what happens when they ask?
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 02, 2022 06:31PM
"Involuntary relocation" sounds woke.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 02, 2022 07:48PM
A workgroup proposing to...

In a another time that would merit no more than a 'Pshaw, it's a stunt, it'll never really happen' from me.

Now I leans more towards 'It'll never not happen'.

The RedHatted League can sure turn a phrase to mitigate or infuriate at the wave of a hat.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: August West
Date: July 02, 2022 09:20PM
Republicans try very hard, and very often succeed at, distorting language and creating propaganda.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 02, 2022 09:32PM
“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.”
George Orwell, 1984

e pluribus unum
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 02, 2022 09:34PM
From the same great thinkers that brought you…

- Downsizing
- Enhanced Interrogation
- Negative Patient Outcome
- Pre-owned
- Collateral Damage
- Extraordinary Rendition
- Restructuring
- Outsourcing
- Alternative Facts
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: July 02, 2022 09:48PM
Keep in mind that their textbooks already replaced the word "slaves" with "workers."

Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 03, 2022 12:13AM

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 03, 2022 12:28AM
August West
Republicans try very hard, and very often succeed at, distorting language and creating propaganda.

And of course, Democrats NEVER do likewise.......

Yes, I AM being sarcastic.
Date: July 03, 2022 08:09AM
testcase
August West

Whether you agree or disagree…
- Anti-abortion became “pro-life”
- Pro-abortion became “pro-choice”
- Illegal aliens became “undocumented immigrants”
- Global warming became “climate change”
- Handicapped became “physically challenged”
etc.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: July 03, 2022 06:12PM
DeusxMac
testcase
August West

Whether you agree or disagree…
- Anti-abortion became “pro-life”
- Pro-abortion became “pro-choice”
- Illegal aliens became “undocumented immigrants”
- Global warming became “climate change”
- Handicapped became “physically challenged”
etc.

I have to agree. Back in the old days, there were hobos and tramps and bums. Then the term "homeless" became more popular. Lately, I've been hearing the term "unhoused" as the latest euphemism. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but there it is.

I would argue, though, that pro-choice really does mean being in favor of freedom of choice, and does not argue that every unwed pregnancy should be aborted or anything like that. It just means having the legal right to choose one way or the other. Anti-abortion is an accurate term that should be used instead of pro-life, which is an obvious euphemism for a legal position that does not refer to life in general. How many pro-life people eat meat?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 03, 2022 07:24PM
Ca Bob
I would argue, though, that pro-choice really does mean being in favor of freedom of choice, and does not argue that every unwed pregnancy should be aborted or anything like that. It just means having the legal right to choose one way or the other. Anti-abortion is an accurate term that should be used instead of pro-life, which is an obvious euphemism for a legal position that does not refer to life in general. How many pro-life people eat meat?
I agree.

Date: July 03, 2022 07:34PM
Ca Bob
PI would argue, though, that pro-choice really does mean being in favor of freedom of choice, and does not argue that every unwed pregnancy should be aborted or anything like that. It just means having the legal right to choose one way or the other. Anti-abortion is an accurate term that should be used instead of pro-life, which is an obvious euphemism for a legal position that does not refer to life in general. How many pro-life people eat meat?

Both terms are intentional “spin”; using an imprecise, vague, euphemistic label to cast the most positive impression.
Pro-life could just as “accurately” mean “against the death penalty.”
Pro-choice could just as “accurately” mean “against mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations”.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: July 03, 2022 07:36PM
Ca Bob
Back in the old days, there were hobos and tramps and bums. Then the term "homeless" became more popular. Lately, I've been hearing the term "unhoused" as the latest euphemism. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but there it is.

George Carlin made the point that "homeless" is kind of abstract. If you frame it as "houseless" then you have defined the problem and made it solvable.

Some people paid attention.

Posted by: TheCaber
Date: July 04, 2022 05:24AM
Tiangou
Ca Bob
Back in the old days, there were hobos and tramps and bums. Then the term "homeless" became more popular. Lately, I've been hearing the term "unhoused" as the latest euphemism. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but there it is.

George Carlin made the point that "homeless" is kind of abstract. If you frame it as "houseless" then you have defined the problem and made it solvable.

Some people paid attention.

Rename it "unaddressed" (which is the issue that governing entities have with people with no fixed address for tracking services rendered) and it remains accurate. And descriptive. And

=TC
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 04, 2022 09:22AM
Sounds like what Russia has done to tens of thousands of Ukrainians
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 04, 2022 11:06AM
I got no problem with changing language when the older terms become pejorative with usage such that the word has negative connotations even when innocently used. Sanitizing terms to hide the truth intentionally is another matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2022 11:07AM by Acer.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 04, 2022 11:35AM
Acer
I got no problem with changing language when the older terms become pejorative with usage such that the word has negative connotations even when innocently used. Sanitizing terms to hide the truth intentionally is another matter.

That's a good qualification.

e pluribus unum
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 62
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020