advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Will Biden get a primary oppenent?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 15, 2022 08:23AM
Seems to be a great deal of noise about dissatisfaction with Biden as the nominee. He has been likened to Carter in the 1980 election, in that race, Ted Kennedy ran as well for the Democrat's nomination. I've heard Gavin Newsom's name tossed about and he has started pushing against DeSantis in Florida which is very unusual.

So will Biden draw an opponent in the primaries that could unseat him?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Will Biden get a primary oppenent?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 15, 2022 08:31AM
Ombligo
I've heard Gavin Newsom's name tossed about and he has started pushing against DeSantis in Florida which is very unusual.

PLEASE NO!

Posted by: pdq
Date: July 15, 2022 08:36AM
Yeah, and Ted crashed and burned, dividing the party and helping elect Reagan.

No thank you.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 15, 2022 09:23AM
Carter was on his way out, Ted or no. Ted was a symptom, not the cause of Carter's fall. However, the primary run was the nail in the coffin.

If there is any hope of success for a non-Biden candidate, it has to be an amicable, choreographed passing of the torch. An adversarial primary will just leave swing voters with the impression that the entire party has failed.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 15, 2022 09:26AM
I think it is increasingly likely that he will be pressured not to run again, due to his age. Gavin Newsome, or anyone else, will wreck any prospects of national office if they challenge Biden.

I personally think Kamala Harris would win an open primary and defeat Trump or DeSantis, recent polls show that.

The presidency is clearly taking a toll on President Biden. Unlike his predecessor, Joe Biden actually does the work of being president.

But of course if he does run again, he's got my vote.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 15, 2022 09:55AM
Kamala Harris would benefit from channeling a little sassiness (which I think she could, despite her being so nice).

I know that’s sexist, but she would face an onslaught of crap from the right, and I want to see her fling it right back when she needs to.

But yeah, if she and Biden decided she should run, she’d have my vote.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 15, 2022 10:23AM
I think the main reason why we're in this situation has nothing to do with Biden's age but the fact that he isn't able to govern on the terms he said he would - as a moderating force thats able to reach across the aisle. Dems were so happy to defeat trump and win both houses of congress that they momentarily failed to take stock of what they'd actually be able to do with their power.

If Biden's age is having an impact, I'd see it as a subtle shift in what he pays attention to. But I'm not sure how much that matters due to limits in congress.

That said, Biden being too old just sounds like 'common sense' and accomplishes the same thing. Funny how political narrative and facts often diverge.

I'd like to think that Dems could have a primary and choose from a field of candidates without tearing themselves apart.

Posted by: vision63
Date: July 15, 2022 11:15AM
DeusxMac
Ombligo
I've heard Gavin Newsom's name tossed about and he has started pushing against DeSantis in Florida which is very unusual.

PLEASE NO!

He's setting up for 2028. He'll be the favorite.
Posted by: kj
Date: July 15, 2022 11:46AM
The only way the Dems could lose is if they really eff up, which based on all recent history, they can easily accomplish.
Date: July 15, 2022 11:51AM
kj
The only way the Dems could lose is if they really eff up, which based on all recent history, they can easily accomplish.

I would enjoy hearing about the details of how that happens.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 15, 2022 11:56AM
kj

Trusting Manchin seems to have been the biggest failure. That bastard has completely screwed the American people.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 15, 2022 12:13PM
cbelt3
kj

Trusting Manchin seems to have been the biggest failure. That bastard has completely screwed the American people world.

FTFU

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: July 15, 2022 12:19PM
I don't think anybody "trusted" him except for the political unsavvy.
Date: July 15, 2022 12:24PM
vision63
kj

There is a universe full of possible ways for them to eff it up. If democrats decide most people (dems and repubs) are silly for thinking Biden is too old and chose him anyway, he'll lose. They're too smart to acknowledge what most people think, and they'll power-rationalize any decision they make.

Or, they could choose to pander to their fringe

[www.economist.com]

and choose someone neither moderate dems nor repubs can stand.

Or they will find a more innovative way to mess it up. The common theme will be that dems will say people should choose this candidate, even though they won't want to. The problem is they picked a candidate last time that was "better than Trump". It's somewhat clear to most people that wasn't good enough, so the bar is going to be higher this time whether it makes sense to you guys or not. Idealism vs realism.

I would maintain it should be super easy to beat Trump (or DeSantis) if you're worth a dang. Seriously, come on. Calling people stupid just isn't working.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2022 12:27PM by kj.
Posted by: gadje
Date: July 15, 2022 12:37PM
I really hope that Trumpf decides to not run.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 15, 2022 12:39PM
Having listened to Biden over the years, he sure sounds like the same old Biden I've always heard.

I'm not in love with his approach and his voice has thinned out to the point of not conveying his words properly.

Is he doing a good job so far? Yes.
Could it be better? I think so.

That in no way detracts from the absolute insanity manifested by the Republicans, who do not deserve to hold office.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2022 12:39PM by Steve G..
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 15, 2022 12:45PM
Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one I know who puts the mess we’re in in the laps of intransigent, power hungry republicans who are willing to sacrifice the country to preserve their interests. Biden, or any other democrat, can do little to change that.

Biden has done a good job under the circumstances.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: July 15, 2022 01:02PM
kj
vision63
kj

There is a universe full of possible ways for them to eff it up. If democrats decide most people (dems and repubs) are silly for thinking Biden is too old and chose him anyway, he'll lose. They're too smart to acknowledge what most people think, and they'll power-rationalize any decision they make.

Or, they could choose to pander to their fringe

[www.economist.com]

and choose someone neither moderate dems nor repubs can stand.

Or they will find a more innovative way to mess it up. The common theme will be that dems will say people should choose this candidate, even though they won't want to. The problem is they picked a candidate last time that was "better than Trump". It's somewhat clear to most people that wasn't good enough, so the bar is going to be higher this time whether it makes sense to you guys or not. Idealism vs realism.

I would maintain it should be super easy to beat Trump (or DeSantis) if you're worth a dang. Seriously, come on. Calling people stupid just isn't working.

It's a lock that Biden is going to run again unless he seizes up. He said so. The good thing is he won. So whatever we need to do to make it work and embrace it, we need to get to doing it.

[twitter.com]
Date: July 15, 2022 01:04PM
graylocks
Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one I know who puts the mess we’re in in the laps of intransigent, power hungry republicans who are willing to sacrifice the country to preserve their interests. Biden, or any other democrat, can do little to change that.

Biden is playing the cards that he's been dealt. He's good at Poker. He's got to get gas prices down.
Date: July 15, 2022 01:26PM
vision63
He's got to get gas prices down.

How? By asking the oil companies to pretty please not make massive profit? You're right in that for some bizarre reason too many people blame him for corporate greed. gas prices are up around the world and in many cases higher than here. Biden is not responsible for that either.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: July 15, 2022 01:36PM
graylocks
vision63

How? By asking the oil companies to pretty please not make massive profit? You're right in that for some bizarre reason too many people blame him for corporate greed. gas prices are up around the world and in many cases higher than here. Biden is not responsible for that either.

Yeah, "we" know that and people may know that but it's something that is extremely painful for Americans. I'm less worried about them voting for Republicans than I am not voting at all out of despair.
Date: July 15, 2022 01:38PM
You guys are a few of the few who think he's doing a good job, so you need to deal with that.

If Biden wins again there's a good chance he'll spend a good portion of his term sitting in a wheel chair yelling "I'm wet, I'm wet". It's just biology, sorry. This matters to most people, so you have to deal with it.

Like the economist says, I think the left fringe needs to back off a little. I think even Hillary said this recently.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: July 15, 2022 01:57PM
Shades of "Are you better off today than you were four years ago?"
Date: July 15, 2022 01:58PM
graylocks
vision63

Yeah, he's between a rock and a hard place on that one. He has some control related to the perception the industry has of his support. Personally, I have a hard time with this because I think his stance of heading away from oil (both fuel and plastic) is really important, but that is at least one reason (not the main one) prices are high. But he takes a huge hit if he isn't properly concerned about the Greenhouse thing, etc.
Date: July 15, 2022 01:59PM
kj
You guys are a few of the few who think he's doing a good job, so you need to deal with that.

If Biden wins again there's a good chance he'll spend a good portion of his term sitting in a wheel chair yelling "I'm wet, I'm wet". It's just biology, sorry. This matters to most people, so you have to deal with it.

Like the economist says, I think the left fringe needs to back off a little. I think even Hillary said this recently.

He's doing fine. We have to get him more help in the Senate and retain the house. Such is life with a 50/50 Senate that we're extremely fortunate to have thanks to Georgia, Arizona, Nevada etc.
Date: July 15, 2022 02:01PM
kj

Biden is doing the best job that I think can be done by any democrat in this situation. Could it be better - yes, if the damn obstructionists would get out of the way. BTW, i consider myself a moderate democrat far from the leftist fringe.

Wondering if your age based wheel chair analysis would apply to trump?

Posted by: Acer
Date: July 15, 2022 02:05PM
kj

He's made it this far without a major medical event, and that extends the window in his favor. If he were obese, or had a heart condition, or a history of tumors, then the clock would be ticking much louder. That he's got one foot in the grave is FUD.
Date: July 15, 2022 02:15PM
I paid $3.55 a gallon for gas today. Prices have still not come down as much as wholesale, but they will.

I don't know anyone who normally votes for Dems who thinks the GOP would do a better job with the economy.

I don't think any party realignment has happened, but polls show independents moving sharply away from the GOP.

I believe their right wing crazy train of culture battles finally crashed and burned. That's the "fringe" that is destroying our country.
Date: July 15, 2022 02:17PM
vision63
kj

He's doing fine. We have to get him more help in the Senate and retain the house. Such is life with a 50/50 Senate that we're extremely fortunate to have thanks to Georgia, Arizona, Nevada etc.

Almost no one thinks so, and I don't know why that isn't a big deal.
Date: July 15, 2022 02:27PM
kj
vision63
kj

What can you do? There's Val Demings virtually tied with Marco Rubio in FL. She's raking in money. Over 41 million dollars to date.

There's Beto in Texas, he's 5 points behind Abbott and has announced he's raised an epic $27.63 million between Feb. 20 and June 30. That's a lot of people that care.

We literally have to get people out to vote. Everybody has to vote. That's how Biden won.

We can do this.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 15, 2022 02:38PM
Steve G.
Having listened to Biden over the years, he sure sounds like the same old Biden I've always heard.

I'm not in love with his approach and his voice has thinned out to the point of not conveying his words properly.

Is he doing a good job so far? Yes.
Could it be better? I think so.

That in no way detracts from the absolute insanity manifested by the Republicans, who do not deserve to hold office.

graylocks

Both of these reflect where I’m at.

Biden is trying to…
  • Deal with the flaming garbage heap left behind by likely the worst and most dangerous administration yet in this country’s history.
  • Deal with a voraciously vicious opposition party in Congress.
  • Deal with party sheeps in wolves’ clothing who have NO regard for the welfare of this country.
  • Deal with the fallout of a packed Supreme Court that is now little more than a cat’s paw of the right.
  • Deal with GOP activists 100% hellbent on crippling this administration and feverishly laying the groundwork for the outright theft of future elections, no matter what.
  • Deal with ongoing serious attempts by foreign actors to fatally damage both the social fabric of this country as well as its electoral process.

Sometimes it’s hard to not feel like this country isn’t fully embroiled in a 21st century WW III/Civil war.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Date: July 15, 2022 02:40PM
graylocks
kj

Biden is doing the best job that I think can be done by any democrat in this situation. Could it be better - yes, if the damn obstructionists would get out of the way. BTW, i consider myself a moderate democrat far from the leftist fringe.

Wondering if your age based wheel chair analysis would apply to trump?

I actually think he's doing fine too, but I'm not sure that makes him a good candidate for 2024.

I think Trump could drop dead at any moment, but honestly, he doesn't seem as frail.

I like your approach to stuff, I don't consider you fringe at all. Some of your views are actually kind of conservative, or maybe just pragmatic. winking smiley

Acer, man, I can't agree. People have a lifespan, and he's getting up there. He's more likely to die in the next year than a 50 yr. old. At his age, the function that relates age to probability of death is definitely not linear, either.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: July 15, 2022 02:44PM
Acer
kj

He's made it this far without a major medical event, and that extends the window in his favor. If he were obese, or had a heart condition, or a history of tumors, then the clock would be ticking much louder. That he's got one foot in the grave is FUD.

I sometimes wonder if some people actually know any older people or if all their “knowledge” just comes from bad sitcoms.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Date: July 15, 2022 02:52PM
vision63
kj
vision63
kj

What can you do? There's Val Demings virtually tied with Marco Rubio in FL. She's raking in money. Over 41 million dollars to date.

There's Beto in Texas, he's 5 points behind Abbott and has announced he's raised an epic $27.63 million between Feb. 20 and June 30. That's a lot of people that care.

We literally have to get people out to vote. Everybody has to vote. That's how Biden won.

We can do this.

Also Cheri Beasley, running for Senate from North Carolina, is doing well.

Senate prospects look good for Dems this fall.

State level, who knows, but after disastrous COVID responses from red guvs, and banning abortion, their time could be up some places.
Date: July 15, 2022 02:58PM
Blankity Blank
Acer
kj

I sometimes wonder if some people actually know any older people or if all their “knowledge” just comes from bad sitcoms.

I'm not a gerontologist, but I worked in a nursing home for 15yrs., so I've known a crap ton of old people. I don't really think it's an question of knowing some old people though. His age is a factor, and even if it wasn't, perception is a factor with concern to his re-election.
Date: July 15, 2022 03:00PM
Lemon Drop
vision63
kj
vision63
kj

We can do this.

Also Cheri Beasley, running for Senate from North Carolina, is doing well.

Senate prospects look good for Dems this fall.

State level, who knows, but after disastrous COVID responses from red guvs, and banning abortion, their time could be up some places.

Thanks for reminding me to throw her a few dollars. She's raking it in too and is extremely qualified. I really love the minds of the people that are running. Fetterman seems kinda nutty though. But hey, you never know. I just know that the more people that vote seems to work out better for my team.
Date: July 15, 2022 03:12PM
I'll take nutty over his opponent!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 15, 2022 03:19PM
Biden, Trump, Pelosi, McConnell are all at the age where they could die without warning (yeah, I know that is true for anyone - but the odds are not in their favor). Of the four, Biden looks the frailest, I'm not saying he is but appearance matters.

I voted for him last time and I'll vote for him next time but that doesn't mean I'm excited about him. Honestly, I think Biden/Harris won not because of who they were but rather because of who they weren't. I'm not convinced that schtick will work a second time.

This forum is made up of intelligent, informed individuals who understand the process. You can not say that about the average voter. Biden needs the Dems and independents to vote, I'm not sure they are going to turn out unless things turn around.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: July 15, 2022 04:19PM
TOO. SOON. TO. TELL.

And McConnell looks much more frail than Biden.
Date: July 15, 2022 05:34PM
Blankity Blank

I think we've established that many on this forum ARE older people.

kj
I'm not a gerontologist, but I worked in a nursing home for 15yrs., so I've known a crap ton of old people. I don't really think it's an question of knowing some old people though. His age is a factor, and even if it wasn't, perception is a factor with concern to his re-election.

I don't think working in a nursing home gives anyone unique insight into anything other than people who need to be in a nursing home.
Date: July 15, 2022 05:51PM
Lemon Drop
I'll take nutty over his opponent!

Heck yeah. I'm pretty desperate.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 15, 2022 06:31PM
Lemon Drop
I paid $3.55 a gallon for gas today. Prices have still not come down as much as wholesale, but they will.

I don't know anyone who normally votes for Dems who thinks the GOP would do a better job with the economy.

I don't think any party realignment has happened, but polls show independents moving sharply away from the GOP.

I believe their right wing crazy train of culture battles finally crashed and burned.

I hope, hope, hope that that is true!

e pluribus unum
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 15, 2022 06:48PM
Fetterman seems to be coming from the Jesse Ventura School of Politics™ while his opponent is from the Trump School of Grift™.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 16, 2022 01:45PM
Lemon Drop
I personally think Kamala Harris would win an open primary and defeat Trump or DeSantis, recent polls show that.

The presidency is clearly taking a toll on President Biden. Unlike his predecessor, Joe Biden actually does the work of being president.

I was hoping (and stated here) that Biden could right the ship of state, retire at the 3rd year, so President Harris could run for re-election. She might lack enough charisma to win in a troubled economy.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: July 16, 2022 02:01PM
We just had Mike Pence as VP. The most charisma free person on a ticket since Hoover.

Now we have Kamala Harris, an empassioned advocate for social and moral justice. High energy and brilliant. Broke every mold. So of course
the media and many men and some white women hate her.

Don't take the bait.
Date: July 16, 2022 02:08PM
Rolando
Lemon Drop

I was hoping (and stated here) that Biden could right the ship of state, retire at the 3rd year, so President Harris could run for re-election. She might lack enough charisma to win in a troubled economy.

I think the field in 2028 will be wide open like it was last time. If we're facing existential survival (like 2020) then support will move quickly towards the candidate who at that moment looks like the strongest possible winner. No Reindeer games.

If we've calmed the country down and have established a sense of security, some certainty of sensibility, then maybe the primaries will grind down to the last primary with candidates battling it out. That would be relatively "normal."

But with social media and traditional media pitting everyone against one another in a political cage match, then the greatest strategist will prevail.

The winner will run against a smarter Republican candidate that will appeal to swing voters (for some reason, economy? Crime? Immigration? War?) We'll know then. That Republican will be hard to beat.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2022 02:10PM by vision63.
Date: July 16, 2022 07:35PM
DeusxMac
Blankity Blank

I think we've established that many on this forum ARE older people.

kj

I don't think working in a nursing home gives anyone unique insight into anything other than people who need to be in a nursing home.

Luckily I don't think any special insight is needed. Pretty obvious.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: July 17, 2022 07:24AM
Inflation, COVID, Iran, Russia, immigration, Biden is a dumpster fire. under his lack of leadership Roe V Wade was even overturned.

Harris? Who was given the task or fixing the Southern border hasn't done anything or even visited the problem areas. Harris is also a horrible speaker with every speech some sort of meaningless word salad.

We need a real leader, someone that puts the nation first and the well being of the citizens first.
Date: July 17, 2022 09:32AM
Mr645
We need a real leader, someone that puts the nation first and the well being of the citizens first.

X
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: July 19, 2022 08:48AM
Mr645

45* was none of those.

=TC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020