advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
How does Gavin Newsom sound to y’all? Give him an A-F grade.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: July 22, 2022 03:44PM
He seems like a liberal Mitt Romney to me. I don’t know enough about him to give him a grade. That ex-girlfriend doesn’t help any.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How does Gavin Newsom sound to y’all? Give him an A-F grade.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: July 22, 2022 03:45PM
I don't care for anyone that was romantically involved with 1/2 Scoop's GF.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 22, 2022 04:09PM
Again...

Please, no!

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 22, 2022 04:19PM
Can we please have other than white men. Please.
Posted by: vision63
Date: July 22, 2022 04:27PM
I've known him for a long long time. From before he was appointed a San Francisco Supervisor by Mayor Willie Brown, whom he had volunteered to help campaign for.

He's a good dude. Sometimes he could be a bit flighty trying to keep ahead of that San Francisco political warzone.

He's pissed me off a couple of times but he rectified himself each time. For him, he's 8 years behind schedule. He ran for Gov in 2010 but dropped out when Jerry Brown announced, which was wise.

He's progressive but he's practical. Fortunately he's much more clear about his positions than he used to be.

I last saw him at the California Democrtic Party Convention in 2019.

Date: July 22, 2022 04:29PM
Lemon Drop

How 'bout Diamond and Silk?

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 22, 2022 04:40PM
How 'bout no.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 22, 2022 04:49PM
Yeah the whole previous gf thing nixed it for me, too.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 22, 2022 04:56PM
what's less than F?
oh I know.
0ºK

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: July 22, 2022 05:54PM
As a Californian, I've been reasonably satisfied with him. It's a big state, and most of us won't have personal knowledge of our statewide leaders, but the state is working OK (in spite of what the right wingers want to say about us) and Newsom is standing up for abortion rights. I find his hairdo a little strange. I think he did as good a job as anybody could be expected to do on the Covid problem, particularly when the epidemic was first ramping up and (unlike those other states) it was useful to have leadership. This is, I think, a very important point. If the election came down to Newsom vs the current governor of Florida, there would be no question at all.

I don't know how to deal with objections based on the former girl friend. I'm guessing it's that "the best is yet to come" weirdo, but at least he is no longer with her. Perhaps we can come back here with a report on the wife or current gf.

Alternatively, you can look up the Larry King article in the April 1988 Playboy, where he is talking about Lenny Bruce and his wife.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 22, 2022 06:33PM
He has good ideas and tries to do the right thing in public, but he gets caught doing stupid stuff in private. He reminds me a little of when you put a 4 year old in a room with a cookie and say if he doesn't eat it for 10 minutes, he will get two. He will eat the cookie as soon as you close the door.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: July 22, 2022 06:41PM
I have a feeling all sorts of misdemeanors from his past will turn up.
Date: July 22, 2022 07:12PM
“…graduated from Santa Clara University (BS). After graduation, he founded the PlumpJack wine store with family friend Gordon Getty as an investor. The PlumpJack Group grew to manage 23 businesses, including wineries, restaurants, and hotels.”

“Mayoral hopeful has parlayed Getty money, family ties and political connections into local prominence”
[web.archive.org]

“In January 2007, it was revealed that Newsom had an affair in mid-2005 with Ruby Rippey-Tourk, the wife of his then-campaign manager and former deputy chief of staff, Alex Tourk.”

“He announced he would seek treatment for alcohol use disorder in February 2007.”

“Newsom faced criticism for his personal behavior and leadership during the COVID-19 pandemic…” X “Newsom acknowledged Friday he attended a birthday party with a dozen friends on Nov. 6 at the posh French Laundry restaurant in wine country north of San Francisco.“

"As a business person who has created jobs, met a payroll and balanced the books, I am uniquely qualified to meet the new fiscal crisis…"

Sound familiar??
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 22, 2022 07:45PM
I'd vote for the ghost of Nixon if it was running against Trump or DeSantis, so I have no issue with Newsom

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Date: July 22, 2022 08:32PM
Ca Bob
As a Californian, I've been reasonably satisfied with him. It's a big state, and most of us won't have personal knowledge of our statewide leaders, but the state is working OK (in spite of what the right wingers want to say about us) and Newsom is standing up for abortion rights. I find his hairdo a little strange. I think he did as good a job as anybody could be expected to do on the Covid problem, particularly when the epidemic was first ramping up and (unlike those other states) it was useful to have leadership. This is, I think, a very important point. If the election came down to Newsom vs the current governor of Florida, there would be no question at all.

I don't know how to deal with objections based on the former girl friend. I'm guessing it's that "the best is yet to come" weirdo, but at least he is no longer with her. Perhaps we can come back here with a report on the wife or current gf.

Alternatively, you can look up the Larry King article in the April 1988 Playboy, where he is talking about Lenny Bruce and his wife.

It's not like people paid attention to who she was back then. She wasn't the same person. That'll hardly be the worst thing that Gavin would be jacked up over. There's the bit about him sleeping with the wife of his Chief of Staff. But you didn't hear it from me.

Notice how nobody is mentioning this now. But I know, eventually they will. Then it'll be "this is why we don't like him." Same thing with Kamala. People didn't know her well either. Everything negative that came out, came out only because it became a handy weapon to use against her.

But they always have just fragments of understanding. Just the bit of knowledge is enough to fight with. THEN, when their defenders, who are ferocious and punitive #Khive lash out, they'll be called unreasonable.

Interesting.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 22, 2022 08:37PM
To be honest, I don't understand the dislike. Could we hope to do better? Sure. Is he better than at least half the politicians out there? Damn right.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 22, 2022 08:40PM

But they always have just fragments of understanding. Just the bit of knowledge is enough to fight with. THEN, when their defenders, who are ferocious and punitive #Khive lash out, they'll be called unreasonable.

Yep.

We support who we like regardless of the bad, and reject how we don't like, regardless of the good.

Very frequently, just based on bits.

Also very frequently, regardless of the color of the hats we wear.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 22, 2022 08:58PM
I'd rather he didn't run for president.

e pluribus unum
Date: July 22, 2022 09:26PM
Ted King
I'd rather he didn't run for president.

He's setting up for 2028. He still has a term left for Gov. He and Kamala where hewn from the same tribe. They're political siblings. From the old Burton Machine, so they'll never cross each other though they most certainly would run against one another in '28.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2022 09:31PM by vision63.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: July 22, 2022 09:32PM
I became more impressed with Newsom when I found out he has dyslexia. He has to memorize everything since he can’t read notes, and he can give long speeches like his Covid reports sans any downward glances.

Solid B in my book.

=wr=
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 22, 2022 10:45PM
wave rider
I became more impressed with Newsom when I found out he has dyslexia. He has to memorize everything since he can’t read notes, and he can give long speeches like his Covid reports sans any downward glances.

Solid B in my book.

Yes, his determination to succeed despite his handicaps is A level stuff. He's even written a few books for kids about dyslexia.

Anyone who can overcome the things he's had to deal with in life can certainly understand how life works for others who live on a completely different level. That said, one thing that is a little more difficult to get over is that he's one of the elite, business/owner class of people. So in that respect, he can't ever totally understand the lives and trajectories of the have nots and what their needs really are. Someone like a Cesar Chavez would "get it" where Gavin Newsom could only "get it" on a theoretical level …

Still … agreed, he's definitely a solid B, and still working towards an A (despite failing a few pop quizzes during the Covid crapola)
Date: July 22, 2022 11:15PM
bfd
wave rider

Solid B in my book.

Yes, his determination to succeed despite his handicaps is A level stuff. He's even written a few books for kids about dyslexia.

Anyone who can overcome the things he's had to deal with in life can certainly understand how life works for others who live on a completely different level. That said, one thing that is a little more difficult to get over is that he's one of the elite, business/owner class of people. So in that respect, he can't ever totally understand the lives and trajectories of the have nots and what their needs really are. Someone like a Cesar Chavez would "get it" where Gavin Newsom could only "get it" on a theoretical level …

Still … agreed, he's definitely a solid B, and still working towards an A (despite failing a few pop quizzes during the Covid crapola)

He was raised by his mom after she and his father got a divorce. He wasn't a rich kid. His mom worked 3 jobs to send to private school. He had to work in High School to help make ends meet. He played ball and got a partial scholarship for Santa Clara College.

His big break was becoming friends with Gordon Getty (through his father) who helped finance his PlumpJack wine store. He built it out from that. His father was a lawyer but everybody says he was always broke. He only got interested in politics when the city tried to force him to put a sink in his store.
Posted by: timg
Date: July 23, 2022 01:41AM
Gavin Newsom is the liberal Ron DeSantis.

That's all you need to know and should be enough for you not to vote for him.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 23, 2022 02:49AM
Newsom has been good on policy matters, I don't care what his preference in women or restaurants may be.
Date: July 23, 2022 08:13AM
RgrF
…has been good on policy matters, I don't care what his preference in women or restaurants may be.

Isn’t that what tRump worshippers say?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2022 08:14AM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 23, 2022 08:50AM
I think Newsom has been a good gov and would probably do well if elected to President. Agewise, he has appeal to both young and old. That said, too many skeletons in his closet...so probably better if there were a different candidate.

I've seen him a couple of times at my preferred ski resort and he has been nothing but gracious and an excellent family guy.

I did not know about the dyslexia thing...every time I watch him speak, I can't help in comparing his pacing and cadence to G.O.B. of Arrested Development. That makes me giggle.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 23, 2022 09:10AM
The guy who went to a dinner celebration when he told others to stay at home. A big 0.0 from me.
Date: July 23, 2022 10:04AM
Markintosh
…and an excellent family guy.

Depends on which family…

“Newsom had an affair in mid-2005 with Ruby Rippey-Tourk, the wife of his then-campaign manager and former deputy chief of staff, Alex Tourk.”

Markintosh
…to many skeletons in his closet...so probably better if there were a different candidate.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2022 10:04AM by DeusxMac.
Date: July 23, 2022 10:30AM
DeusxMac
RgrF
…has been good on policy matters, I don't care what his preference in women or restaurants may be.

Isn’t that what tRump worshippers say?

Maybe but I stopped doing cults after est.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2022 10:37AM by RgrF.
Date: July 23, 2022 01:11PM
timg
Gavin Newsom is the liberal Ron DeSantis.

That's all you need to know and should be enough for you not to vote for him.

Gavin Newsom is a moderate liberal. DeSantis is a radical Republican. That doesn't match. If you think Newsom is a leftist, then you don't really know his work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2022 01:11PM by vision63.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 23, 2022 01:26PM
I think he was an excellent SF mayor (particularly when he pushed forward with the whole gay marriage thing). He used to do live interviews on KFOG every week where he discussed current issues with the city. Those were excellent glimpses into his reasoning for various policies that he pursued and showed him to be a very thoughtful and reasonable guy. I also think he has been an excellent governor, particularly with respect to managing Covid. Yes, he's made some stupid mistakes and he is sort of an upper class twit but he is far better than most of the other politicians out there. I give him a B+.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 23, 2022 02:04PM
Lemon Drop

Do you want another Trump or worse, DeSantis? That attitude will guarantee it.

My very basic knowledge of him is that California is doing ok, struggling with the side effects of a booming economy - iE homelessness and housing prices in general.

He seems to piss off CA Conservatives, which is a great endorsement as far as I'm concerned.

Two things.

Harris is not going to give up "her" slot at the nomination without a fight

Both from California, a pretty secure Democratic state, so what's the point of choosing someone from there.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: July 23, 2022 02:21PM
Rolando
Lemon Drop

Do you want another Trump or worse, DeSantis? That attitude will guarantee it.

My very basic knowledge of him is that California is doing ok, struggling with the side effects of a booming economy - iE homelessness and housing prices in general.

He seems to piss off CA Conservatives, which is a great endorsement as far as I'm concerned.

Two things.

Harris is not going to give up "her" slot at the nomination without a fight

Both from California, a pretty secure Democratic state, so what's the point of choosing someone from there.

She is in no way impractical. She's just as desirous to win as the rest of us. I would say even moreso. Laser focused on true justice, peace, liberty and fairness.

But, it doesn't mean that she's not going to want to promote non-traditional candidates to fight to become nominees and eventual victors. Plus have a preference for them.

Fair elections sort these things out.
Date: July 23, 2022 05:39PM
"true justice and fairness" eh?

I've posted this before. This is the main reason why we are no fans of Newsom or KH. Long story short, they drag their feet in the last century.

Is an Innocent Man Still Languishing on Death Row?

The dems need to get to work and find a suitable candi.

!#$@@$#!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2022 05:39PM by Fritz.
Date: July 23, 2022 06:38PM
Fritz
"true justice and fairness" eh?

I've posted this before. This is the main reason why we are no fans of Newsom or KH. Long story short, they drag their feet in the last century.

Is an Innocent Man Still Languishing on Death Row?

The dems need to get to work and find a suitable candi.

Their farm system seems depleted. No Obama like orators in view.
Date: July 23, 2022 06:49PM
RgrF
Their farm system seems depleted. No Obama like orators in view.

true that. except for very old white men.

!#$@@$#!

Date: July 23, 2022 09:27PM
Newsom would most likely become a decent president if he got the nomination and won, but I think there are plenty of women that are running that would probably be a better president than Newsom.

I'll admit, though, that I just have a somewhat negative gut feeling about Newsom. There's just something off about him for me.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 24, 2022 12:02AM
Ted King
... I think there are plenty of women that are running that would probably be a better president than Newsom.

I'll admit, though, that I just have a somewhat negative gut feeling about Newsom. There's just something off about him for me.

I'd like to know about a few. Been Following Stacy Abrames. Seems to have both the smarts and the charisma.
Being a good president is one thing. Be a smart manager.

Getting to be president is a wholly different animal. One needs to be a great campaigner, knowing your opennents supporters will demonize you every step of the way.

Hillary Clinton might have made a competent President, but in the end, she was out-campaigned by a traitor

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: July 24, 2022 07:48AM
Rolando
Ted King
... I think there are plenty of women that are running that would probably be a better president than Newsom.

I'd like to know about a few. Been Following Stacy Abrames. Seems to have both the smarts and the charisma.

Getting to be president is a wholly different animal. One needs to be a great campaigner, knowing your opennents supporters will demonize you every step of the way.

Hillary Clinton might have made a competent President, but in the end, she was out-campaigned by a traitor

The contrast between ability to govern and ability to campaign effectively is certainly valid. Unfortunately there is systemic bias against women running for president that makes it harder for them to win. It's not like Biden is all that great as a campaigner.

I'll admit I was mostly answering the question from the "ability to govern" side. Elizabeth Warren has been number one on that list for me for many years. I think Amy Klobuchar would make a good president - at least as good as Newsom. I think Kamala Harris would also probably be at least as good a president as Newsom. I don't know a lot about Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, but she could very well be at least as qualified as Newsom. And, of course, as you said, there is Stacy Abrams.

e pluribus unum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2022 07:49AM by Ted King.
Date: July 24, 2022 02:05PM
Ted King
Rolando
Ted King

The contrast between ability to govern and ability to campaign effectively is certainly valid. Unfortunately there is systemic bias against women running for president that makes it harder for them to win. It's not like Biden is all that great as a campaigner.

I'll admit I was mostly answering the question from the "ability to govern" side. Elizabeth Warren has been number one on that list for me for many years. I think Amy Klobuchar would make a good president - at least as good as Newsom. I think Kamala Harris would also probably be at least as good a president as Newsom. I don't know a lot about Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, but she could very well be at least as qualified as Newsom. And, of course, as you said, there is Stacy Abrams.

Bias or not, Hillary being out-campaigned is simply not true. Based on what specifically? If I say Trump is a jackass, I could present an accurate list 10 pages long with verified facts to back up that statement. But then, that's my standard.
Date: July 25, 2022 09:01AM
“ I'll admit, though, that I just have a somewhat negative gut feeling about Newsom. There's just something off about him for me.” - Ted King

I agree. There’s something off about him.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 25, 2022 06:44PM
It's probably his gravelly voice bringing up deep-rooted childhood fears of boogeymen and monsters in your closets.

But as it's a vague 'something', that should be enough.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: July 25, 2022 07:36PM
RAMd®d
It's probably his gravelly voice bringing up deep-rooted childhood fears of boogeymen and monsters in your closets.

But as it's a vague 'something', that should be enough.

Of course, there are a lot of things the vague "something" could be other than deep-rooted fears of boogeyman in the closet. Like I don't feel confident I can trust that the person I see is pretty much the person I get if I vote for him. I felt that way about Obama and Biden, but I get what is admittedly only a "vibe" where with him what I see isn't what I get. I'm not saying anyone other than me should perceive that vibe. I'm just saying that's how I feel.

e pluribus unum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2022 07:38PM by Ted King.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020