advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Trump would only one one term
Posted by: samintx
Date: July 26, 2022 09:17PM
But if any other Republican was elected the Republicans would have 8 years. I think the powers that be might be discouraging Trump from running. Reasonable?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Trump would only one one term
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 26, 2022 09:39PM
I think Trump has a lot more reasons to run than not to run (and possibly the earlier the better). I think he is going to have to be beaten in primaries to knock him out of the race. And even then, I think there's a fair chance he would run as a third party candidate. The threat of him doing a third party run is probably a nightmare scenario for the "establishment" wing of the Republican Party. But if they are successful at knocking him out of through the primary process then he could very well just say he was cheated and use that as justification to run as a third party candidate (the MAGA Party?).

Speculative, for sure, but given Trump's personality, I think it's plausible.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 26, 2022 10:51PM
I think the powers that be might be discouraging Trump from running.

His ego may well push him to run, after all, the only way he could possibly lose is if the election was rigged.

But I think the powers that be will discourage him from winning the nomination.

Even if he awarded himself a third term, since he can't get the MoH, I think the RedHats know they can't really control him.

It's pretty scary to contemplate how he would do running as a third-party candidate, scooping up the BSC vote.

It would be really interesting to see how he'd react to losing the Presidency (again) to a Republican.

You know, in a very hypothetical, never happen sort of way.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: testcase
Date: July 26, 2022 11:01PM
Trump's ego will compel him to run in 2024 IF he can get enough money donated. I doubt he would spend his own money though.
Posted by: davester
Date: July 26, 2022 11:28PM
His ego is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is whether or not he can grift whatever happens next. To Trump, it's all about the money that he can fleece from his followers. There is nothing else.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 27, 2022 12:15AM
>I think the powers that be might be discouraging Trump from running.

I literally have no idea who you're talking about. Q?

Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 27, 2022 12:56AM
It not like he isn't also pragmatic. The AG announced a continuation of the Barr policy barring initiation, investigation or prosecuting of declared candidates without approval from Garland himself. It might seem that sort of statement might serve to further embolden someone like Trump.

He may well be reading the AG as an enfeebled institutionalist, one who would never be so bold as to take the previously unheard of step of criminally indicting or prosecuting a former President.

Previous US history has shown that high level miscreants were allowed to negotiate a surrender from earned punishment and fade away to avoid permanent damage to the Republic itself.

Since Trump has absolutely no regard for either the Republic or it's previous norms, it could well come down to a political stand-off.

What's that old Chinese proverb about interesting times?
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: July 27, 2022 05:30AM
It is a curse, not a proverb.

"May you live in interesting times."

=TC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2022 05:39AM by TheCaber.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 27, 2022 06:07AM
Seems like we're living it, doesn't it?
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 27, 2022 08:15AM
Ted King
I think Trump has a lot more reasons to run than not to run (and possibly the earlier the better). I think he is going to have to be beaten in primaries to knock him out of the race. And even then, I think there's a fair chance he would run as a third party candidate. The threat of him doing a third party run is probably a nightmare scenario for the "establishment" wing of the Republican Party. But if they are successful at knocking him out of through the primary process then he could very well just say he was cheated and use that as justification to run as a third party candidate (the MAGA Party?).

Speculative, for sure, but given Trump's personality, I think it's plausible.

Would love to see this.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 27, 2022 08:26AM
Sadly, I think if Trump runs (and is not in jail), he’ll win the GOP nom (altho not the general).

Just too many deplorables on that side, frankly. I feel kinda sorry for the rest - their party has been taken hostage.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 27, 2022 09:46AM
I agree if he runs it will be the ugliest primary in US history. Trump plans to make the whole thing about violence, and about how he is persecuted. Poor baby.

And he is running. Just don't know how much $$ will get behind him.

He gave this super grotesque, very weird, gory, fearmongering speech in DC yesterday.

"He opened with a long list of apocalyptic-sounding crimes. New York, Los Angeles and Chicago “are now war zones — literal war zones,” he said, without irony. People are “walking out of stores with all the merchandise they can carry. They’re left alone. No one says, ‘Don’t do this. Put that back now.’” No one!

Then came some surprisingly graphic descriptions of murders. In an unsettlingly emotionless voice, the 45th president detailed how a gang were “laughing as they bludgeoned the life from their helpless victim” during a robbery; how an old woman was left to bleed to death in her own bathtub; how a pregnant woman was murdered as she unloaded the gifts from her baby shower; how a 70-year-old woman and her 38-year-old daughter were “viciously stabbed to death”; how a “good man, everybody loved him” was shot in his own back yard; how another man was knocked down by a cab driver in New York City who then robbed him; and, most confusingly, how “a young girl was struck in the head while driving her family on her twelfth birthday”. After reeling off this long list of gratuitous violence, he prescribed the solution: “We must be tough and be nasty and be mean.” That got the first spontaneous round of applause of the night.

Fearmongering was the name of the game, and it came thick and fast. Developing countries in Central America are “emptying their jails into the United States”. The only solution is to send the National Guard to Chicago and to bring in the death penalty for drugs crimes, “like Singapore” (you remember Singapore — the Amnesty-condemned country that hangs people for all drugs crimes in contravention of International human rights laws? Yes, that one.) Democrats won’t like that solution, Trump added, but “execute a drug dealer and you’ll save 500 lives”.

But wait, there’s more! “The long-term mentally ill need to go to institutions and the drug addicts need to go to rehab or jail.” The homeless people who live in cities need to be moved into specially built slums at the urban edges, made of “thousands and thousands of high-quality tents”. If people want to move out of the “tent city”, by the way, they’ll be allowed to. For Trump is gracious, even in judgment."

[news.yahoo.com]
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: July 27, 2022 10:15AM

tiny little hands

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2022 10:27AM by Steve G..
Date: July 27, 2022 10:44AM
He’s getting creepier and creepier.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: July 27, 2022 11:33AM
pdq
Sadly, I think if Trump runs (and is not in jail), he’ll win the GOP nom (altho not the general).

Just too many deplorables on that side, frankly. I feel kinda sorry for the rest - their party has been taken hostage.

I don’t know why anyone should feel sorry for establishment Republicans. They birthed and raised the Trumpers and now they’re about to be eaten by their own offspring.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

A lie told often enough becomes the truth. Vladimir Lenin
Posted by: gadje
Date: July 27, 2022 01:15PM
I’d love to see him running as an independent, that would ensure a Democratic win. Or even better to split the Republicans into GOP and MAGA factions and eventually diverge to become 2 separate parties.

EDIT: I would laugh my ass off if this were to happen and then 20 years after his death if there were a time capsule that revealed this was his plan all along.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2022 01:17PM by gadje.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 27, 2022 02:02PM
The sooner he goes into the Fargo Woodchipper Party, won't be soon enough.
No person has ever done more harm to the United States than the Orange Menace.
==
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 27, 2022 02:42PM
Apparently, Faux News showed not a single second of Trump's DC speech, while showing a fair amount of Pence's speech.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: July 27, 2022 02:48PM
The saner Republicans could and very well may coalesce around one candidate as the anybody but Trump, which is basically what the Democrats did when they were advised to get behind Biden. The first priority was to unify against Trump, and all the other priorities had to take second. It worked.

It depends on how effective the party of saner Republicans can be, considering that the majority of the party leadership has refused to go that way, even since the election and Biden's inauguration. I think they are afraid of losing their own political careers in the immediate aftermath of attacking Trump, as happened to most of the congress people who voted for Trump's impeachment.

The best case scenario for the sane is that the Republican Party splinters into two or more groups including the MAGA group, and a couple of groups arguing over how to reformat the party.

The current situation since the House committee hearings appears to be that support for a Democratic congress is increasing.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 27, 2022 03:12PM
Trump continues to have to run for office to stay out of jail. And if (gods forbid) he wins a second term, his first official act will be to pardon himself and his entire crime family.

And then declare martial law after a false flag attack, and declare himself emperor for life. (Really.. you think I'm joking ? )
Posted by: Rolando
Date: July 27, 2022 03:56PM
cbelt3
Trump continues to have to run for office to stay out of jail. And if (gods forbid) he wins a second term, his first official act will be to pardon himself and his entire crime family.

And then declare martial law after a false flag attack, and declare himself emperor for life. (Really.. you think I'm joking ? )

I don't. But If you were, then I'd say you were wrong.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: July 28, 2022 12:04AM
About ten years ago, I trained some of our local crows to tap on the window of my home office in exchange for a peanut. The first step in this operant-conditioning experiment was to place a peanut on the window sill. After a long while, the crows would be comfortable enough to land on the window sill, even though they could see me sitting at the desk. They would caw to let me know they were there. They'd fly up to sit on the wire when I approached to open the window and put out some peanuts. When they saw I was at the desk again, they felt secure enough to come and grab their reward.

Once the crows were habituated enough, I would wait until they accidentally tapped on the window with a beak before getting up to fetch them a peanut. After a while, they would land and immediately tap, knowing they had trained me to proffer up the goods with their tapping.

A neighbor complained. Crows did not understand the concept of weekends and trips away from home. Apparently, they would caw and caw, even though I wasn't there. I had to extinguish the behavior.

For a short period, no longer rewarding a behavior, rather than extinguishing, has the effect of bringing out a stronger version of the behavior. If I'm allowed to get into the mind of the crow, it's thinking something like, "Hmm, tapping the window got me peanuts before. I just need to do it more strongly. Then he'll notice."

After some time, the crow learns not to tap anymore. With no peanuts as a result, it just isn't worth it.

I get the sense that Donald Trump might be in that state. He's not getting the same results he used to for his behavior, so he is intensifying it (under the false sense that it will start working again). Let's hope the transition to full extinguishment doesn't last long.

Todd's B,F. Keyboard
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 28, 2022 02:05AM
Let's hope the transition to full extinguishment doesn't last long.

You're under the impression 45* is at least as reasonable as a crow.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 28, 2022 07:23AM
Todd's keyboard
I get the sense that Donald Trump might be in that state. He's not getting the same results he used to for his behavior, so he is intensifying it (under the false sense that it will start working again). Let's hope the transition to full extinguishment doesn't last long.

Variable [reinforcement] schedules produce higher rates and greater resistance to extinction than most fixed schedules. This is also known as the Partial Reinforcement Extinction Effect (PREE).

sad smiley
Date: July 28, 2022 08:00AM
DeusxMac
Todd's keyboard

Variable [reinforcement] schedules produce higher rates and greater resistance to extinction than most fixed schedules. This is also known as the Partial Reinforcement Extinction Effect (PREE).

sad smiley

Yeah, my wife (a psych major in college) often reminds me of this. I once read of an experiment where they had chickens tapping a bar for…well, chicken feed, and through variable reinforcement, they got them were they were literally beating their heads against this bar all day long for the occasional tidbit.

There’s a metaphor in there somewhere, but I can’t think of it now - gotta get back to tapping that bar.

wink smiley
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 28, 2022 09:34AM
One fallacy, Trump's intelligence would have to increase substantially for him to be considered a birdbrain.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020