advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
So, who's voting by mail this time around?
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 28, 2022 02:59PM
I received my "Official Vote by Mail Application card in the mail the other day. It's sitting here on my desk. I'm likely to do it, but when I asked my wife and adult daughter if they sent theirs back yet they both said "No. I want to vote in person. I don't want to risk it getting lost or tossed."

Naive old me hadn't given that possibility much thought. I like the idea of the convenience of just tossing my ballot in the mail, but now I'm thinking twice about it. FWIW, we're in MA, so there's likely to be any voting shenanigans, but who the hell knows any more.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So, who's voting by mail this time around?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 28, 2022 03:14PM
it has virtually no chance of being lost if it's dropped into the bin outside of the town/city hall, but I do have some hesitation of putting into US Mail these days.

But, more to the point, I will not give up my right to walk into the polls on Election Day, so I can purchase the necessary donated baked goods to support my local elementary school.
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 28, 2022 03:22PM
it has virtually no chance of being lost if it's dropped into the bin outside of the town/city hall,

Maybe not a ballot, but apparently checks are a different story.

[www.boston25news.com]
Posted by: Ted King
Date: July 28, 2022 03:48PM
I live in Oregon and all of our voting is done by mail. :-)

e pluribus unum
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 28, 2022 04:21PM
I’ve been voting by mail for 20…maybe 30 years. This is the way.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 28, 2022 04:55PM
In CA I get an email acknowledging receipt and another about processing - so it's tracked every step of the way.
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: July 28, 2022 05:25PM
RgrF
In CA I get an email acknowledging receipt and another about processing - so it's tracked every step of the way.

In CA here as well, I get my ballot in early enough so that I can see if it processes (which it always has). If for some reason it does not process, then I have time to make alternate plans to fix that with the Vote Center.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2022 05:25PM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 28, 2022 05:42PM
I don't trust the Republican Party. I'm voting in person.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 28, 2022 06:05PM
I would not have considered vote by mail getting tossed until DeJoy became the head of the USPS.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Wags
Date: July 28, 2022 07:15PM
Ted King

Likewise. Works flawlessly. I signed up for notification so I get an email when my ballot is sent and received.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 28, 2022 07:29PM
I voted by mail just to thumb the eye of Republicans in this state. They are very upset the no-excuse-required mail-in ballot they passed resulted in too many of the wrong people voting, and have been trying to kill it ever since.
Posted by: GGD
Date: July 28, 2022 08:25PM
I drop it in the county provided drop box at the local library, and the county website lets you track ballot status and will show when it's actually been counted. Seems very reliable and safe to me, and more direct than letting the USPS mix it in with billions of other items and then fish it out and give it to the county.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: July 28, 2022 08:25PM
Washington state also votes by mail. As an ex-pat living in Canada, I chose to walk the ballot I received here in Canada to the US Consulate. While that was fairly easy for the presidential election (There was box to accept ballots just inside the door.), this time, I had to be screened to actually enter the Consulate. My understanding is my ballot goes by diplomatic pouch to Washington state and then enters the US mail system.

If I understood correctly, there is also an option to vote through the Internet. I’ve signed up for that option.

Todd’s X board
Date: July 28, 2022 08:42PM
If I understood correctly, there is also an option to vote through the Internet. I’ve signed up for that option.

Oh good, cant wait to let the Saudis (insert your own boogeyman) vote for me.
Posted by: Don C
Date: July 28, 2022 09:46PM
When I first moved to Louisville, my polling place was in a garage about six houses down the block. Made for a very patriotic feeling to walk over there, cast my vote, and walk home.

In person voting is very hard for my wife, as the mechanics of the machine and the number of choices is beyond her dementia condition, so we will probably vote by mail this fall using the dropbox at the courthouse which is only half a mile away.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 29, 2022 01:18AM
it has virtually no chance of being lost if it's dropped into the bin outside of the town/city hall,

Maybe not a ballot, but apparently checks are a different story.

I believe the comment refers to the ballot drop box, and not a USPS letter drop box, which the reply presumably addresses.

Were the 'bin' outside the town/city hall a USPS drop box, it would be subject to the same risk if dropped into any other USPS drop box.

All that said, with DeJoy in charge, voting in person is my preference even though odds are probably very good that he's already run out of shenanigans to delay or disappear ballots.

For those mailing in ballots, it's wise to mail ASAP, because high-speed sorting equipment in many processing centers no longer exists.

Mail early, mail often.

(LOL)

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: July 29, 2022 09:31AM
My local polling place closed years ago, everyone was sent ballots instead.

I have mailed it, I have dropped it off at a polling place on election day, and I have used the drop boxes by the county building and the library.

Works for me.

=wr=
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 29, 2022 11:36AM
We walked in and did early voting yesterday.
Posted by: samintx
Date: July 29, 2022 12:11PM
Ted King

That is why you have so much voter fraudOld Fogette just ask any Republican.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 29, 2022 01:06PM
My polling place was just moved from a few blocks away to a few miles away. sad smiley
Posted by: bfd
Date: July 29, 2022 02:05PM
California's gone all in on mail-in. Voters will have to hunt down a voting booth from here on out. There are plenty of drop-offs, though.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: July 29, 2022 02:11PM
Been voting by mail for years. Live in Oregon. Should be the standard everywhere. You get the chance to think it over, talk about the issues, drop ballot off at box or in the mail. I really don't understand the controversy.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 29, 2022 02:31PM
Our polling place is literally across the street. It's almost equal distance to go to the mailbox or to the polling place.
We used mail during covid but at this point it seems silly to do so.

Posted by: Wags
Date: July 29, 2022 04:08PM
Maddog
Been voting by mail for years. Live in Oregon. Should be the standard everywhere. You get the chance to think it over, talk about the issues, drop ballot off at box or in the mail. I really don't understand the controversy.

Wyden’s been trying to push that through for years but can’t get any traction. The repugs don’t want a paper trail.
Posted by: abevilac
Date: July 29, 2022 04:47PM
I’ll be voting by mail because I’ll be in Italy on Election Day. I live in Pennsylvania so I get to NOT vote for Dr Oz.
Date: July 29, 2022 04:53PM
abevilac
I’ll be voting by mail because I’ll be in Italy on Election Day. I live in Pennsylvania so I get to NOT vote for Dr Oz.

Looks like you're not alone. Latest FOX poll shows Oz trailing by 11 points for Senate with Shapiro up by 5 for Gov.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: July 29, 2022 05:06PM
RgrF
abevilac

Looks like you're not alone. Latest FOX poll shows Oz trailing by 11 points for Senate with Shapiro up by 5 for Gov.

Scary that Shapiro is only up 5 points over a total lunatic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 81
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020