Date: July 29, 2022 03:12PM
Lemon Drop
Lots of lying by Republicans .
SOP (Standard Operating Procedure)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: House is debating a new assault weapons ban right now
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 29, 2022 03:34PM
Just start by making minimum purchase age 25, similar to renting a car.
Better background checks would be good, too.
==
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 29, 2022 03:44PM
Steny Hoyer doing a good job.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 29, 2022 04:02PM
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 29, 2022 06:14PM
debasing ... you mean

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: SDGuy
Date: July 29, 2022 08:14PM
Buzz
Just start by making minimum purchase age 25, similar to renting a car.
Better background checks would be good, too.
==

agree smiley
But I wonder if that (age 25) would be a bridge too far, though - if that's the case, would 21 be more achievable (given the precedent of that age already being used as a cutoff for alcohol purchases)?
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: July 30, 2022 05:04AM
only way to ban the above is to ban new sales of all rifles with semi-automatic actions

otherwise it's just another 1994 'ban' where they're just changed cosmetically, e.g. to something that looks more like a conventional hunting rifle:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2022 05:28AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 30, 2022 07:44AM
…and the House passed it.

Futile? Maybe. I personally like the idea of stating, in actual votes, where members of Congress stand and making them defend their positions, particularly in the Senate, where one can say Why did you participate in a filibuster to avoid a vote on same-sex marriage/access to contraceptives/aid for vets exposed to toxic burn pits?

The usual suspects try and try to paint the Dems as “extreme”, but situations like these illustrate the mainstream policies that they are trying to advance beyond Republican obstruction, and show for all to see which party is the one that actually holds unpopular and extreme positions.
Posted by: pdq
Date: July 30, 2022 08:23AM
Heather Cox Richardson (as usual) says it better than I can today:

Democrats continue to illustrate the difference between them and the Republicans in the lead-up to the 2022 midterms. Today, Americans continued to spit fury over the Republican senators’ destruction of the Promise to Address Comprehensive Toxics (PACT) bill, which would provide medical benefits for veterans exposed to burn pits and other toxins during their military service, after previously passing the measure.

That destruction has added to the growing list of unpopular positions Republicans are taking as Democrats are forcing votes on them. Republicans have voted against protecting the right to abortion, the right to use birth control, the right to cross state lines to obtain reproductive health care, and gay marriage, all of which are very popular.

Today, the House of Representatives passed a measure to ban assault weapons. The vote was 217 to 213, mostly along party lines: two Republicans voted yes, and five Democrats voted no.. Since the horrific massacre of 19 schoolchildren and 2 of their teachers, along with the wounding of 17 others, at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, in May, support for a ban on assault-style weapons has climbed to 67%.

Also, remember when the Right (and the mainstream press) tut-tutted Biden over his suggesting that the oil companies were making out like bandits and should consider not gouging the American consumer?

…oil giants ExxonMobil and Chevron reported historic profits from the last three months. Exxon made $17.9 billion (not a typo) last quarter, up 273% from the same time last year, while Chevron made $11.6 billion…Together, BP, Chevron, ExxonMobil, Shell, and TotalEnergies are expected to announce $60 billion in profits for the past three months. They plan to spend much of the profit not on reinvesting in their businesses, but on stock buybacks, which drives up the price of the stock.

Nothing new there.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 30, 2022 04:15PM
Bill in NC
only way to ban the above is to ban new sales of all rifles with semi-automatic actions

otherwise it's just another 1994 'ban' where they're just changed cosmetically, e.g. to something that looks more like a conventional hunting rifle:

Bill… they actually started like that. The Mini-14 as a ranch rifle was always a good weapon.

What happened is the fascination with militarizing a weapon. And Colt sold the HELL out of them. “Assault weapons” are the riced out fast and furious of semiautomatic rifles.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 30, 2022 09:23PM
The Mini-14 as a ranch rifle was always a good weapon.

Yes, an assault-style weapon in less intimidating garb, from a different era.

Anybody who's ever fired one these in full-auto knows they're lucky if they get any round after the first in the same zip code.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: July 31, 2022 05:25PM
I never thought of the Mini 14 Ranch as an "assault rifle"; until the Feds started kicking around the whole assault rifle ban thing, leading up to 1994.

The Mini 14 Ranch was clearly not designed as an assault weapon, but leave it to the ne'er-do-wells to figure out such a purposeful misuse.

How 'bout restricting sales of all semi-automatic rifles larger than .22LR to law abiding adults over 25 that can pass a rigorous background check....

Hopefully by the time an eligible buyer is over 25, their common sense will have kicked in, and mass shootings would precipitously decline.
==
Date: July 31, 2022 07:00PM
Buzz
...How 'bout restricting sales of all semi-automatic rifles larger than .22LR to law abiding adults over 25 that can pass a rigorous background check....

Hopefully by the time an eligible buyer is over 25, their common sense will have kicked in, and mass shootings would precipitously decline.
==

I think I'd include pretty much ALL semi-automatic firearms (both rifles and pistols), regardless of caliber; I think 24-year-olds of even just 25 years ago were much more mature than what's out there today.
Date: August 01, 2022 02:44AM
SDGuy
Buzz
...How 'bout restricting sales of all semi-automatic rifles larger than .22LR to law abiding adults over 25 that can pass a rigorous background check....

==

I think I'd include pretty much ALL semi-automatic firearms (both rifles and pistols), regardless of caliber; I think 24-year-olds of even just 25 years ago were much more mature than what's out there today.

No argument over relative generational maturity levels, but since the car rental industry can get away w/ pushing rental drivers' minimum age limits to 25, the NRA oughta (eventually) accept 25 for semi-auto rifles. I left .22's out, as lots of young kids learn to shoot w/ .22's, and for the time being, as another NRA appeasement.

I'd go for 21 on semi-auto pistols above .22LR, but again, many young kids learn to shoot small caliber pistols, and I have a tough time grappling w/ where a reasonable line could/should be drawn to create a reasonable, NRA approvable regulation. Once you get into medium caliber pistols, offerings in the same caliber from different manufacturers can (and do) handle quite differently. It might seem safe to sell a "Brand X" .32 or .380 ACP to some 18 year olds, but "Brand Y's" pistol in the same chambering might be much more difficult to handle properly. I think that makes it too tough to differentiate at some point beyond a small or small/medium caliber on a Brand to Brand, and/or Model to Model basis, so picking a reasonable demarcation point makes sense.

The old school .25 caliber is more of a current kid's grandfather's pistol, plus most .22LR pistols are more potent anyway, and there are tons of .22's to choose from; so that makes (hopefully for the NRA) a comfortable demarcation line until age 21. Most .32's are too readily concealable (and aren't great for target shooting), so I wouldn't have a problem making people wait until 21 to be eligible to purchase one of those on their own.

Basically, we don't need to pick a massive fight w/ the gunnies, let's just put something on the books that makes sense to put a damper on the immature kids getting a hold of the wrong type of guns, and on their mass casualty events from their being young and stupid.
==
Date: August 01, 2022 08:03AM
Buzz
...Basically, we don't need to pick a massive fight w/ the gunnies, let's just put something on the books that makes sense to put a damper on the immature kids getting a hold of the wrong type of guns, and on their mass casualty events from their being young and stupid.
==

yeah - because of that (having something which has a realistic chance of actually passing), I have a feeling restricting semi-automatic firearms to age 21 or higher would be the most likely possible compromise, given that that demarcation is already in use (for alcohol sales).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 64
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020