Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 02, 2022 09:12PM
Just called by NBC News.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Kansas referendum to remove constitutional right to abortion defeated
Posted by: steve...
Date: August 02, 2022 09:20PM
thumbs up

Looks like the current count is 62% versus 38%. I was expecting it to be closer. Things are looking up for November.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 02, 2022 09:21PM
the fight continues
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 02, 2022 09:24PM
I mentioned this in another thread below:

Extra amazing, considering the dirty tricks:

Democrats were infuriated by the text message they [all] received Monday, which inaccurately said that “voting YES on the amendment will give women a choice.” A yes vote would actually end the right to terminate a pregnancy in Kansas and give the Legislature the authority to pass a total ban on abortion. A no vote would preserve the status quo, in which abortion is heavily regulated and legal through 22 weeks of gestation.

This is as dirty as you can get,” said Davis Hammet, a voting rights advocate, in a tweet. “The anti-abortion coalition is sending out a last minute mass text to Kansas pro-choice voters blatantly lying about the abortion amendment so they vote the wrong way.

WaPo got on the case:

The newspaper traced the unsolicited text messages to a political tech firm called Alliance Forge and identified [Republican former congressman Tim] Huelskamp’s Do Right PAC as the client behind the campaign.

You might think this would land him in hot water.

But you’d be wrong:

State officials said the use of voter registration data to deliberately mislead voters doesn’t violate state law because [in Kansas] lying is allowed in election advertisements, and unsolicited text messages about ballot questions don’t require senders to reveal their identities.

Welcome to Kansas!
Date: August 02, 2022 09:28PM
The best part of this is the evil Republican-controlled legislature went far out of their way to try to pull a fast one to get this passed. They not only obfuscated the language (so a Yes vote meant no to abortion rights) but they put it in a primary election where Democratic races are typically not competitive (compared to Republican races) so Democratic turnout is low.

The people said F that and overall turnout was almost double what it normally is.

Posted by: gadje
Date: August 02, 2022 09:54PM
Now if they kick Mitch McConnel, that would be something.
Date: August 02, 2022 09:55PM
of course, the referendum was rigged, right?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 02, 2022 10:21PM
gadje
Now if they kick Mitch McConnel, that would be something.

They'd have to drive all the way to Kentucky to do that.

It is what it is.
Date: August 02, 2022 10:26PM
Oh sorry, I should have paid more attention.

We really need a :facepalm emoji
Posted by: steve...
Date: August 02, 2022 10:41PM
gadje
We really need a :facepalm emoji

facepalm

Northern California Coast
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 02, 2022 11:47PM
An indicator that SCOTUS may have blunted the predicted November "red wave"? On the negative side 538 just adjusted Senate predictions forecasting a probable 54, possible 56 Democratic Senate. (if only it weren't Nate)

Cook should have their own pretty soon.
Posted by: Diana
Date: August 03, 2022 01:51AM
AllGold
The best part of this is the evil Republican-controlled legislature went far out of their way to try to pull a fast one to get this passed. They not only obfuscated the language (so a Yes vote meant no to abortion rights) but they put it in a primary election where Democratic races are typically not competitive (compared to Republican races) so Democratic turnout is low.

The people said F that and overall turnout was almost double what it normally is.

My sister lives in Kansas and she set me straight(er) on it. A Yes vote meant, Yes, Change the State Constitution and No meant that it stands as is (no we won’t change the state constitution). As womens healthcare is enshrined in the state constitution it takes a vote of the people to change it. Not like here where the legislature apparently knows more than a physician. Wait… we have a few physicians in the legislature! No wonder we’re f’ed. They couldn’t make it as a physician, so the next best thing?

Edit: oh yes!!! smiley-music039

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2022 01:51AM by Diana.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 03, 2022 06:49AM
They didn’t just vote, “No,” they voted, “HELL, NO.”

(AllGold basically beat me to it.)

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2022 06:49AM by Speedy.
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 03, 2022 08:03AM
Perhaps the window of opportunity for changing constitutions with confusing language in low-turnout elections is closing as people wise-up to the tactic. One can hope.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 03, 2022 03:03PM
I've always felt that there is a large number of repub women who have had abortions. They may still feel that they are 'pro-life', and that their case was a 'special circumstance' - it didn't count. I've always wondered how a vote would turn out if it was a secret ballot. I bet many of these KAN votes came from pro life women who want to keep their options open or their child's option open for their 'special case' just in case.

an article: More Republican Women Than You Think Have Had Abortions. Here’s How I Know.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 03, 2022 03:53PM
>They may still feel that they are 'pro-life', and that their case was a 'special circumstance' - it didn't count.

IMO the pro-life position is mostly based upon choosing a simplified version of reality.

According to one pro-life facebook friend - there's never a case where its necessary to perform an abortion to protect the life of the mother - its just a lie.

Date: August 03, 2022 05:09PM
And there are "pro-life" people who try to claim some abortions aren't really abortions. One recently, and somewhat famously, did so while testifying during a congressional hearing.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 03, 2022 06:40PM
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 03, 2022 08:33PM
hal

an article: More Republican Women Than You Think Have Had Abortions. Here’s How I Know.

Thanks for the link. I read it and found it irritating. I would bet dollars to donuts that she was “pro-life” before she got pregnant. She, of course, was a special case - abortion was right for me, but not for thee. And she happily supports and works for the party that has been holding an extreme stance on this for so long that it accidentally came to pass.

How does she know that more Republican women have had abortions than we think? Because she had one, she’s a Republican, and she thinks there must be other special cases like hers - cases which were, in fact, not special or unusual at all, but happen many thousands of times every year.

I would guess there is, in fact, a lot of conservative Republican (and Catholic) women who have abortions simply because they know good girls don’t have premarital sex, and so they don’t take contraceptive precautions when they do. But when they get pregnant, they simply can’t have a baby out of wedlock, and certainly not with that father who had premarital sex with her.

Ugh. Grow up.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 04, 2022 01:04PM
hal
I've always felt that there is a large number of repub women who have had abortions. They may still feel that they are 'pro-life', and that their case was a 'special circumstance' - it didn't count. I've always wondered how a vote would turn out if it was a secret ballot. I bet many of these KAN votes came from pro life women who want to keep their options open or their child's option open for their 'special case' just in case.

Or have not but they don't want to risk dying from a miscarriage with heavy hemorrhaging or placental abruption or burst fibroid because the doctors in their state are afraid to operate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020