advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Good news: Sinema on board. Bad news:
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 04, 2022 08:52PM
She managed to protect her hedge-fund friends:

Sinema indicated that she won several changes to the tax provisions of the package, including removing the tax on carried interest, which would have impacted hedge fund managers and private equity. That proposal would have raised $14 billion.

barf smiley

I hope that’s all they had to give her, although this part makes me uneasy:

“We have agreed to remove the carried interest tax provision, protect advanced manufacturing, and boost our clean energy economy in the Senate’s budget reconciliation legislation,”

At least they didn’t give her half of the Mississippi’s water.

Vote comes Saturday.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Good news: Sinema on board. Bad news:
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 04, 2022 09:09PM
And in other AZ news, the wingnuts picked the nutty ex-talking-head Trumpie in their primary for the governor’s race.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 04, 2022 09:52PM
Sinema is the worst.
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 04, 2022 11:14PM
AllGold
Sinema is the worst.

What would she be if she didn't vote for it? Worster?
Posted by: August West
Date: August 05, 2022 09:05AM
She would remain the worst. Yes, realpolitik matters, but you gotta see a dog for a dog, even when it's your own party.

“There comes a point where we need to stop just pulling people out of the river. We need to go upstream and find out why they’re falling in."

Date: August 05, 2022 09:41AM
August West
She would remain the worst. Yes, realpolitik matters, but you gotta see a dog for a dog, even when it's your own party.

No. You view every member of your party (or business) and make sure they're in a position to succeed. That means understanding their circumstances. When you hang them out to dry, they feel vulnerable and sometimes will rebel.

It would be like me looking at your life and not liking certain aspects of your behavior. But instead of examining and acknowledging what the true circumstances are, I instead apply my stereotypes and what I believe to be the true causes based on what my values are.

Any Democrat in a Red district needs to be protected. They're simply not in a position to behave the same way a Democrat in a safe district can. Expecting them to is simply unfair.

Even Democrats in safe districts need protection. The Squad for example are allowed to vote no, on certain legislation when it's safe to do so. They would vote yes if their vote was crucial. This protects them from their real enemy, which isn't what people think it is.

The right can't hurt them because they're all in safe districts. Only entities further left than them make their lives difficult. They get called sellouts everyday by radical leftists like Jimmy Dore, The Young Turks and Glenn Greenwald. That's their threat. Pelosi understand that. They've voted no on more key legislation than Manchin or Sinema has. But for some reason, y'all let them slide because you refuse to drill down and examine them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2022 09:45AM by vision63.
Date: August 05, 2022 04:03PM
Sinema was elected to represent her constituents--the majority of her constituents. By pulling the carried interest loophole, rather than representing the interests of millions of her constituents, she is representing a few hundred big money donors.
Date: August 05, 2022 04:24PM
AllGold
Sinema was elected to represent her constituents--the majority of her constituents. By pulling the carried interest loophole, rather than representing the interests of millions of her constituents, she is representing a few hundred big money donors.

She's literally voting "yes" on the biggest clean energy bill in history. "Yes" on radically lowering drug costs for millions of Americans. "Yes" on the "Chips' bill. "Yes" on a significant Veterans bill. Bernie Sanders is crapping all over the Reconciliation bill to prove that he's the "amendment king" because he never passes anything but the 3 bills that carry his name (2 of them post office name changes and one of those for a former slave owner).

He voted "No" on the Chips Bill. 50 Republicans voted no on the Reconciliation bill. But hey, "she's" the bad one. I'm not saying she's all that good. But I know the ignorance and stupidity that coalesced into the circumstances we're forced to endure.

The big difference between me and everybody else, is I don't let stuff slide because all people are going to do, is the same thing over.
Date: August 05, 2022 04:31PM
Obviously, it would be worse if she was a Republican--or that seat was filled by a Republican. I just don't understand why she has to be such an advocate for big money (actually, I understand perfectly, I just don't think it's a good look).
Date: August 05, 2022 05:13PM
AllGold
Obviously, it would be worse if she was a Republican--or that seat was filled by a Republican. I just don't understand why she has to be such an advocate for big money (actually, I understand perfectly, I just don't think it's a good look).

It doesn't matter. It was a minor part of this legislation. It was a humbug so that she can show her state that she stood up to the far left. It's never really about the money. If that's the case we have numerous Senate hopeful's and a number of incumbents awash in lobby money as they all break financial fundraising records. But they aren't on anybody's radar.

Sinema is tied with Bernie at 94% Democratic voting record. It's just a handful of bills that are concerning. We need more Democratic Senators. Preserve Kelly in Arizona, Warnock in GA, Beasley in NC, Demings in FL and Gov Tony Evers in Wisconsin.

2 more reliable Senators and who cares about Sinema and Manchin.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 05, 2022 06:03PM
If this bill makes it possible to elect more Democratic senators, then there will be a workable majority without Manchin and Sinema.

Then the tax provisions can be voted in at a later date.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: August 06, 2022 11:22PM
vision63
AllGold

She's literally voting "yes" on the biggest clean energy bill in history. "Yes" on radically lowering drug costs for millions of Americans. "Yes" on the "Chips' bill. "Yes" on a significant Veterans bill. Bernie Sanders is crapping all over the Reconciliation bill to prove that he's the "amendment king" because he never passes anything but the 3 bills that carry his name (2 of them post office name changes and one of those for a former slave owner).

He voted "No" on the Chips Bill. 50 Republicans voted no on the Reconciliation bill. But hey, "she's" the bad one. I'm not saying she's all that good. But I know the ignorance and stupidity that coalesced into the circumstances we're forced to endure.

The big difference between me and everybody else, is I don't let stuff slide because all people are going to do, is the same thing over.

Even if you’re of the opinion that they should just take what Manchin gives them because he’s unreliable and they should get it over with, it’s interesting to be a Democrat getting mad at Bernie for even saying out loud that the most right-wing member shouldn’t dictate the agenda.
Date: August 07, 2022 12:53AM
RgrF
vision63
AllGold

Even if you’re of the opinion that they should just take what Manchin gives them because he’s unreliable and they should get it over with, it’s interesting to be a Democrat getting mad at Bernie for even saying out loud that the most right-wing member shouldn’t dictate the agenda.

Bernie Sanders literally does nothing. He's mad about a bill that came from "his" committee, that he's the chair of, that he had nothing to do with. He wants to vote no on it but he can't, so he's crapping all over it. Why do you like him??????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2022 12:54AM by vision63.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 165
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020