advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
44 Minnesotans charged with stealing $250m in pandemic funds meant to feed hungry children
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 20, 2022 12:03PM
"The director of the Feeding Our Future nonprofit and 46 other people have been charged in what federal prosecutors say was a "massive scheme" to defraud the government of more than $250 million meant to feed needy children during the COVID-19 pandemic.

In a news conference in Minneapolis on Tuesday, U.S. Attorney Andrew Luger described it as the largest pandemic fraud in the country, and the charges amount to one of the largest federal fraud cases ever brought in Minnesota.

Six indictments were unsealed Tuesday that describe alleged crimes including wire fraud conspiracy, money laundering and bribery. Three others connected to the scheme, charged via felony information, are expected to plead guilty, Luger said.

He described today's wave of indictments as "the first set of charges."

U.S. Attorney General Merrick B. Garland said in a statement that the indictments "underscore the Department of Justice's sustained commitment to combating pandemic fraud and holding accountable those who perpetrate it."

Aimee Bock, executive director of Feeding Our Future, was among those indicted. Feeding Our Future, which acted as a sponsor for sites that received federal dollars to feed kids, was at the center of each indictment produced this month in the continuing investigation. The separate indictments allege schemes of up to $40 million each perpetrated by groups sponsored by Feeding Our Future that falsely claimed to feed millions of children throughout the pandemic.

[www.startribune.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 44 Minnesotans charged with stealing $250m in pandemic funds meant to feed hungry children
Posted by: kj
Date: September 20, 2022 01:21PM
Bock's defense:

“I am the white lady,” Bock said. “It’s no secret. I can open the door and I can hold it open and provide the security so that it is safe for them [people of color] to walk through. Because every time they’ve tried to come to the door, it’s gotten slammed in their face.”

She thinks she's pretty tricky. Looks like a mess that's been evolving for quite a while. I'm sure there's tons of fraud perpetrated by people a lot smarter.
Re: 44 Minnesotans charged with stealing $250m in pandemic funds meant to feed hungry children
Posted by: hal
Date: September 20, 2022 01:59PM
that's not a defense...
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 20, 2022 03:09PM
She'll have lots of time in prison to think about being white.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 20, 2022 04:20PM
Stealing food from children is just about as low as one can go without resorting to violent crimes.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: September 20, 2022 06:32PM
another lovely disgrace

[www.nytimes.com]

!#$@@$#!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2022 06:32PM by Fritz.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 20, 2022 06:56PM
hal
that's not a defense...

It’s been working for Pres. Trump.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 20, 2022 09:50PM
“I am the white lady,” Bock said. “It’s no secret. I can open the door and I can hold it open and provide the security so that it is safe for them [people of color] to walk through. Because every time they’ve tried to come to the door, it’s gotten slammed in their face.”

I was just going to ask if she hired one of 45*'s legal team.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 21, 2022 08:42AM
If true (and I gave no reason to doubt it), it’s stunning that these people thought they would be able to get away with it.

Many of these folks they’ve charged were East African immigrants. About the only thing I can say in their favor is that where they fled from, corruption may be a fact of life.

For Ms. Bock, she should know better and be ashamed.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 21, 2022 10:10AM
pdq
About the only thing I can say in their favor is that where they fled from, corruption may be a fact of life.

In the West, corruption is only excused for the already-rich. That's a lesson folks born here learn from an early age.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 21, 2022 11:25AM
RAMd®d

Wait -- she actually said that? OMG! I haven't read the article yet - I thought whoever posted that quote was just being sarcastic!

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2022 11:34AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 21, 2022 11:50AM
N-OS X-tasy!
RAMd®d

Wait -- she actually said that? OMG! I haven't read the article yet - I thought whoever posted that quote was just being sarcastic!

Yes, she said that. It is not quoted in the Star Tribune article linked in the OP, but here is a link with the quote - [www.startribune.com]. It is behind an ad/paywall, but I was able to read it using Safari reader view the first time I went there.
Date: September 21, 2022 06:52PM
The article I read said the FBI went to a location where 50,000 children were "being fed", and there was no sign of anyone or anything happening. She claimed it happened in four hours, so unless they were there at exactly that 4 hrs., they wouldn't have seen anything. She's ridiculous.
Date: September 21, 2022 07:01PM
hal
that's not a defense...

It was kind of implied but not super obvious from the quote that she has been saying she is being persecuted by the FBI for trying to help people of color. That crosses the line into evil behavior, to me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 161
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020