advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
BREAKING NEWS: Donald Trump, 3 of his children sued for business fraud by New York AG
Posted by: gadje
Date: September 21, 2022 10:20AM
[wapo.st]

(gift link)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Donald Trump, 3 of his children sued for business fraud by New York AG
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 21, 2022 10:30AM
New York sues Donald Trump, company and family members over widespread fraud claims, seeks at least $250 million in penalties
[www.cnbc.com]

New York Attorney General Letitia James on Wednesday sued former President Donald Trump, the Trump Organization, three of his adult children, and others for allegedly widespread fraud involving false financial statements related to the company.

The civil lawsuit filed in Manhattan Supreme Court seeks at least $250 million in damages, and seeks to bar Trump, Donald Trump Jr., Eric Trump, and Ivanka Trump from serving as an officer of a company in New York.

James also said that she was referring evidence obtained in the course of a three-year investigation to federal prosecutors in Manhattan, saying she believed it showed violations of federal criminal laws.

“Trump falsely inflated his net worth by billions of dollars,” James said at a press conference.

James said Trump did so to obtain more favorable loan and insurance terms for his company, as well as to lower its tax obligation.

The complaint says that Trump’s personal financial statements “for the period 2011 through 2021 were fraudulent and misleading in both their composition and presentation.”

“The number of grossly inflated asset values is staggering, affecting most if not all of the real estate holdings in any given year. All told, Mr. Trump, the Trump Organization, and the other Defendants, as part of a repeated pattern and common scheme, derived more than 200 false and misleading valuations of assets included in the 11 Statements covering 2011 through 2021.”

Trump’s lawyer Alina Habba, in a statement, said, “Today’s filing is neither focused on the facts nor the law – rather, it is solely focused on advancing the Attorney General’s political agenda.”

“It is abundantly clear that the Attorney General’s Office has exceeded its statutory authority by prying into transactions where absolutely no wrongdoing has taken place,” Habba said.
Re: BREAKING NEWS: Donald Trump, 3 of his children sued for business fraud by New York AG
Posted by: gadje
Date: September 21, 2022 10:34AM
Thanks for posting more details.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: September 21, 2022 10:37AM
I doubt that they will settle out of court...
Posted by: steve...
Date: September 21, 2022 10:41AM
Hoping Donnie's implosion is imminent.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: September 21, 2022 10:45AM
steve...

I'd rather him drop dead of a heart attack - cheaper in the long run.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: September 21, 2022 10:45AM
Ms. James laid out the suit very clearly, well done. This does look like someone is going to hold #45 responsible for his crooked dealings.

I am pleased!

=wr=
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 21, 2022 11:04AM
And once again, Tiffany is treated as if she doesn't exist. Poor kid, born into the wrong family.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 21, 2022 11:09AM
“It is abundantly clear that the Attorney General’s Office has exceeded its statutory authority by prying into transactions where absolutely no wrongdoing has taken place,” Habba said.

Gosh that’s the complete opposite of what the AG said. Shocked, I am.

Luckily for Trump, he never relies on intelligent lawyers, just ever-additional layers of sludge to cover his tracks so that people give up.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 21, 2022 11:21AM
Lizabeth
steve...

I'd rather him drop dead of a heart attack - cheaper in the long run.

I don't even need it to be a heart attack.

It is what it is.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 21, 2022 12:08PM

Trump’s lawyer Alina Habba, in a statement, said, “Today’s filing is neither focused on the facts nor the law – rather, it is solely focused on advancing the Attorney General’s political agenda.”

Deny, delay, countersue. Deny, delay, countersue. Deny, delay, countersue. Deny, delay, countersue. Deny, delay, countersue...

Posted by: vision63
Date: September 21, 2022 12:21PM
DeusxMac

Deny, delay, countersue. Deny, delay, countersue. Deny, delay, countersue. Deny, delay, countersue. Deny, delay, countersue...

Wellllll. There'll be a trial. Tell it to the judge.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 21, 2022 12:24PM
I want to see New York and Georgia fight to see who can give him a more uncomfortable jail cell.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 21, 2022 12:44PM
At least his lawyers have learned to get paid up front.

Will Jared use some of the $B he got from the Saudis for his lawyers ?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 21, 2022 12:57PM
GGD
And once again, Tiffany is treated as if she doesn't exist. Poor kid, born into the wrong family.
:-)

Date: September 21, 2022 12:59PM
Lizabeth
James has already rejected a settlement offer.
[abcnews.go.com]
She wants to shut this crap down.

Posted by: pdq
Date: September 21, 2022 01:18PM
You've gotta admire this woman - she's put a big target on her back. Trump is going to do everything he can to ruin her, and millions of Deplorables (and the Right in general) are going to join right in and demonize her like mad.

Such folks are not fond of strong women; James is a strong Black woman. It may well be Hillary Clinton x 10.

Just sayin'.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: September 21, 2022 01:40PM
GGD

LoL
Date: September 21, 2022 01:41PM
$tevie
Lizabeth
James has already rejected a settlement offer.
[abcnews.go.com]
She wants to shut this crap down.

You love to see it.
Date: September 21, 2022 01:43PM
Now do Jared.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: September 21, 2022 02:03PM
New York can have him.

Ombligo
I want to see New York and Georgia fight to see who can give him a more uncomfortable jail cell.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 21, 2022 02:07PM
Lemon Drop
Now do Jared.

I didn't even notice that he wasn't included.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 21, 2022 02:31PM
good comment:
'In all fairness to Trump, the inflated value of Mar-a-lago was probably calculated with the cost of the classified documents inside.'
Date: September 21, 2022 02:42PM
Posted by: steve...
Date: September 21, 2022 02:56PM
pdq
You've gotta admire this woman - she's put a big target on her back. Trump is going to do everything he can to ruin her, and millions of Deplorables (and the Right in general) are going to join right in and demonize her like mad.

Such folks are not fond of strong women; James is a strong Black woman. It may well be Hillary Clinton x 10.

Just sayin'.

I've been wondering how the deplorables will respond to this. It may indicate how they'll react if Merrick Garland indicts.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 21, 2022 03:01PM
Ms. James laid out the suit very clearly, well done. This does look like someone is going to hold #45 responsible for his crooked dealings.

I'm happy to see this, but I was hoping the announcement would be something foreshadowing stainless steel bracelets.

This feels like just another law suit in a long line of lawsuits.

I hope this has some real teeth, and that he actually has to pay, even if it's from fan donations.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: September 21, 2022 03:06PM
It would be useful if this was tried by a judge without a jury, but I would guess that it is unlikely.
Date: September 21, 2022 03:06PM
Date: September 21, 2022 03:08PM
hal
Lemon Drop
Now do Jared.

I didn't even notice that he wasn't included.

She is also investigating his real estate firm.

I think some of the billions Jared got from the Saudis was intended to bail his FIL out of some of his big debt.
Trump has known for years that this suit was coming, they had time to prepare while he was President and could leverage that.. with Saudis, Russians, Chinese, who knows...
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: September 21, 2022 03:09PM
As others have suggested here and elsewhere, Trump is increasingly being encircled by actions in Georgia, Mar a Lago, and now New York State. There is also that little issue of the January 6 events, which could potentially end up with charges filed. It would keep any normal crook busy and worried, and I would suspect that it is providing Trump with a good bit of stress.
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 21, 2022 03:09PM
RAMd®d

I'm happy to see this, but I was hoping the announcement would be something foreshadowing stainless steel bracelets.

I hope this has some real teeth, and that he actually has to pay, even if it's from fan donations.

It's critical that Trump be completely "destroyed."
Date: September 21, 2022 03:11PM
Traitor Tot's coke dealer just ordered a new Corvette.
Date: September 21, 2022 04:15PM

I'll drink to that.

I am that Masked Man.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: rgG
Date: September 21, 2022 04:38PM
DavidS
New York can have him.

Ombligo

Was thinking the same thing.
He might get busted out, here in GA. They hate him in NY, so keep him there.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: September 21, 2022 04:39PM
rgG
DavidS
New York can have him.

Ombligo

Was thinking the same thing.
He might get busted out, here in GA. They hate him in NY, so keep him there.

please...

Posted by: GGD
Date: September 21, 2022 04:55PM
hal
please...

With a lot of gold leaf and some persuasive marketing, he can turn that into a really hot property.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 21, 2022 05:21PM
vision63
RAMd®d

...and that it be done in a way that takes the MAGA movement down lest they simply transfer their needs to DeSantis or some other autocratic demigod. Remember they preceded Trump, he made it OK for them to crawl out in the open, they need to be chased back under their rocks.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 21, 2022 05:42PM
GGD
hal
please...

With a lot of gold leaf and some persuasive marketing, he can turn that into a really hot property.

Location! Location! Location!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 21, 2022 05:57PM
Think of the luxury yacht owners that would love that place! Wink. Wink.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 21, 2022 06:45PM
Just a thought... he is still wanted in Iran for killing their military chief. Maybe we could trade him for the four Americans currently jailed there. A win-win for both countries.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: September 22, 2022 12:30PM
Trump referred to James as "Peekaboo". I'm guessing his supporters all know what he really meant.
Date: September 22, 2022 01:52PM
Mike Sellers
Trump referred to James as "Peekaboo". I'm guessing his supporters all know what he really meant.

maybe you can tell us - I was wondering what that was about...
Date: September 22, 2022 04:31PM
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 22, 2022 05:13PM
hal
Mike Sellers

maybe you can tell us - I was wondering what that was about...

Don't know whether this is true, but I saw a meme on Reddit which explained that Twitter considers a certain word sometimes used to describe black people (j***aboo) to be offensive and autocorrects it to"peekaboo."

It is what it is.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 22, 2022 07:48PM
Post deleted. [clueless white guy from the north looked up a different word.]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2022 08:15AM by Acer.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 22, 2022 08:06PM
Acer
j****** is a new one on me, and I've been on the internets a long time.it barely registgers on Google Trends. Urban Dictionary's definition has one entry, where most insults of that nature have all sorts of entries. Where would pasty white Trump pick up such an obscure term?

The word has been around since the early 1900s, it has always been derogatory. It is not that obscure. The Google books Ngram data is here - [www.google.com]
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 22, 2022 08:19PM
I recall it being in fairly common usage but then I grew up around Boston which was every bit as racist as it was reputed to be.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 22, 2022 09:17PM
JoeH
Acer
j****** is a new one on me, and I've been on the internets a long time.it barely registgers on Google Trends. Urban Dictionary's definition has one entry, where most insults of that nature have all sorts of entries. Where would pasty white Trump pick up such an obscure term?

The word has been around since the early 1900s, it has always been derogatory. It is not that obscure. The Google books Ngram data is here - [www.google.com]

My error, I was looking up a different word.
Date: September 22, 2022 11:08PM
The word has been around since the early 1900s, it has always been derogatory. It is not that obscure.

It was very common when I was growing up in Oakland, though I haven't heard in many decades.

I never would have made the connection to peekaboo, ever, without reading this thread.

If 45* actually called James that, I can't think of a more despicable act from someone thinking themselves the real President, etc.

Ok, he's done worse, but that he'd parade this behavior...

Yeah, it makes he wish he'd get a cup of Russian tea.

I am that Masked Man.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: September 23, 2022 12:12AM
I honestly figured Trump meant that James is spying on him. Like Obama in his microwave.
Trump doesn't strike me as the sort of person who stays up-to-date with colloquialisms. Remember the rough time he had when he was first complaining about Hillary's emails and misusing terms left and right? Also, not sure old white people are aware of that being a substitute word. I certainly wasn'i.

EDIT: I was questioning that Trump would be aware that the internet uses Peekaboo as a code word for the J-word. It seems a bit too arcane for him to be aware of. I am positive that Trump not only knows the J-word but has probably used it thousands of times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2022 02:09PM by $tevie.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 51
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020