advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
I think Putin will 'test' nuke inside Russia as warning.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: September 23, 2022 08:44PM
I have posted about this before. In order to amplify his nuclear threat, i think that Putin will 'test' a nuclear device somewhere inside Russia to scare the daylights out of the rest of the world. This way, he is exploding one, but is not doing it in another country.

'Just assuring you that they work and I have them' Vlad will say.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I think Putin will 'test' nuke inside Russia as warning.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 23, 2022 08:49PM
Strikes me as an odd half measure.

Posted by: davemchine
Date: September 24, 2022 12:19AM
We already know Russia has nuclear weapons. What would using one prove? “We have one less nuclear weapon”? Of course it would make as much sense as the rest of this war.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 24, 2022 01:36AM
Violate test ban treaty for clout ? No.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 24, 2022 02:14AM
We now have a couple of generations of people separated from acute awareness of the real danger of nuclear confrontation, it may be time for an update.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: September 24, 2022 02:14AM
Treaties aside, I can see him doing it. Might even seem a good idea to him (for the reasons mentioned). But it won’t make one lick of difference to Ukraine and its allies. They know he won’t dare use one on Ukraine itself.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 24, 2022 07:37AM
Carnos Jax
Treaties aside, I can see him doing it. Might even seem a good idea to him (for the reasons mentioned). But it won’t make one lick of difference to Ukraine and its allies. They know he won’t dare use one on Ukraine itself.

I say, what’s the use of having them if you’re not going to use them? (Fortunately, people as insane as I am are never allowed near the levers of power.)

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 24, 2022 09:23AM
Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 24, 2022 09:52AM
RgrF
We now have a couple of generations of people separated from acute awareness of the real danger of nuclear confrontation, it may be time for an update.

This. I think most people regard nuclear weapons as just really big conventional bombs. Not only that, they assume their use will be confined to the immediate area of conflict (like conventional bombs). Furthermore, both sides know that their silos and airfields are already targeted by the other side, so launching first becomes a survival strategy. People just don’t want to think about this.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero
Date: September 24, 2022 12:43PM
Even launching first is no longer a survival strategy. 70% of our warheads are on subs. So no matter what the other side does, they are guaranteed to be wiped out by our second strike (all a part of mutually assured destruction). This is why Putin or anyone else won’t dare use nukes (unless he’s just gone plain mad, in which case somehow he will be gotten rid of by his own peeps).
Date: September 24, 2022 02:39PM
Speedy
Carnos Jax

I say, what’s the use of having them if you’re not going to use them? (Fortunately, people as insane as I am are never allowed near the levers of power.)

Who let Trump into the forum? winking smiley
Posted by: Don C
Date: September 24, 2022 05:42PM
I have dreamed that our nuke people are talking to their nuke and those folks have agreed that this should not happen under any circumstance.

I can only hope!
Date: September 24, 2022 07:11PM
^^^I think at some level this must be going on.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 24, 2022 07:22PM
Well "I think" that this is extremely unlikely, bordering on the ridiculous, since it would serve no purpose other than to invite aggressive responses from the west and political opposition within Russia.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 24, 2022 07:55PM
I'm far more concerned about India and Pakistan than Russia. Just a few weeks ago there was scrambling when India accidentally launched a ballistic missile into Pakistan.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: hal
Date: September 25, 2022 03:08PM
Ombligo
I'm far more concerned about India and Pakistan than Russia. Just a few weeks ago there was scrambling when India accidentally launched a ballistic missile into Pakistan.

What about China/India - they were actually fighting on the border not long ago.

[en.wikipedia.org]

But I agree with Davester - there is a lot of fear around here, but this is not something I fear.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 26, 2022 11:02PM
Putin says nuclear threat is no bluff. We should take him at his word.

[wapo.st]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 139
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020