advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Congratulations Mayor Bass!
Posted by: steve...
Date: November 16, 2022 08:46PM
Karen Bass Becomes First Woman Elected as Los Angeles Mayor

Karen Bass, a veteran Democratic congresswoman, on Wednesday became the first woman elected as mayor of Los Angeles after pledging to build coalitions in a metropolis torn by racial tensions and fed up with homelessness. The race was called by The Associated Press.

Ms. Bass survived a bruising race against Rick Caruso, a billionaire real estate developer, that had remained too close to call for more than a week after the election. Mr. Caruso had pumped roughly $100 million into his campaign as a law-and-order candidate, hoping to appeal to a frustrated electorate.

NYTimes

Northern California Coast
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Congratulations Mayor Bass!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 16, 2022 08:50PM
I’d rather be in Congress.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: November 16, 2022 09:06PM
thumbs up Excellent!

=wr=
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 16, 2022 09:19PM
Good news!
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: November 16, 2022 09:33PM
There's no reason to believe that Caruso would be any more effective in preventing crime than Bass. He was not particularly effective in doing so when he was on the police commission. He does know how to pull the insider levers since he has plenty of money to donate.

The voters in Los Angeles were obviously in a rebellious mood, having now defeated two incumbent City Council members (one in the primary election, another one right now). I think voters were offended by the attempt to buy the office.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: November 16, 2022 10:57PM
The glass is half empty side:
It's testimony to the effect money has on elections. Caruso was a Trump like Republican who, all things being equal, had no shot at this office. $200 mil was the only thing that real made him a contender and this a close race.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 17, 2022 11:20AM
Speedy
I’d rather be in Congress.

That was my concern. She held one of the few remaining Black congressional seats in California. Her replacement, Sydney Kamlager should be more than up to the job.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020