advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Grant MI Health center mural (cont.)
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 21, 2022 09:36AM
So, the controversy in Grant, MI regarding the mural that was created by Grant High School student, 16-year-old Evelyn Gonzales, which was discussed last month...

[forums.macresource.com]

...is not resolved and getting ugly, with calls to paint over the mural, and some even calling for the health center to get shut down, as the health center is not run by the school. The reason is unclear, but it has something to do with Prop. 3 passing, which enshrines the right to an abortion in Michigan's constitution. My guess is that some parents are afraid that if a girl thinks she may become pregnant and wants an abortion, she'll go the heath center to get a morning-after pill. You know, the whole parental rights issue.

[www.woodtv.com]

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Grant MI Health center mural (cont.)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 21, 2022 10:02AM
I'm going to start by say upfront that as a former art teacher I find the mural to be of poor quality, I would have never endorsed it for display.

that said, the mural was chosen and approved. The copyrighted symbols will be removed. If those that run the school and clinic are happy then it should stay. My fear is that it will only be a matter of time before some bonehead neanderthal takes it upon themself to destroy it and possibly harm anyone trying to stop them.

This issue is not going to just go away.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Re: Grant MI Health center mural (cont.)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 21, 2022 12:24PM
Snowflakes.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 69
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020