advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
‘ Court Appears Ready to End Special Master Review ‘
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 22, 2022 04:51PM
“ A federal appeals court panel signaled on Tuesday that it is likely to end a review of a trove of government documents seized this summer from former President Donald J. Trump, a move that would greatly free up an investigation into his handling of the material.

At a 40-minute hearing in Atlanta, the three-member panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit seemed to embrace the Justice Department’s position that a federal judge had acted improperly two months ago when she ordered an independent arbiter to review the documents taken from Mr. Trump’s Florida compound, Mar-a- Lago.

Through their questions, the panel expressed concern that Judge Aileen M. Cannon, who appointed the so-called special master, had acted without precedent by ordering a review of the seized material. The panel also suggested that Judge Cannon, who was appointed by Mr. Trump, had overstepped by inserting herself into the case and trying to bar the government from using the records in its investigation into whether Mr. Trump had illegally kept national security records at Mar-a-Lago and obstructed the government’s repeated efforts to retrieve them. “

[www.nytimes.com]

[amp.cnn.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ‘ Court Appears Ready to End Special Master Review ‘
Posted by: Ammo
Date: November 22, 2022 05:02PM
I think someone may have gotten to her.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 22, 2022 05:30PM
The decision of the three-judge panel will be appealed, then the full court decision will be appealed to SCOTUS. It will likely take a pass and the review will end. But that could take months and by then the master will be done.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: November 22, 2022 07:13PM
This whole 'special master' thing sounds juvenile, like the 'secret double probation' on Animal house.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 22, 2022 07:54PM
Not a good look for a junior member of the federal judiciary, Justice [Loose] Cannon.

nono smiley
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 22, 2022 09:04PM
DinerDave
This whole 'special master' thing sounds juvenile, like the 'secret double probation' on Animal house.

Dave

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 22, 2022 09:07PM
pushing the cannon overboard
Posted by: AllGold
Date: November 22, 2022 09:37PM
It should be noted that all three judges are Republican appointees, two by Trump himself.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 23, 2022 06:14AM
pdq
Not a good look for a junior member of the federalist judiciary society, Justice [Loose] Cannon.

nono smiley

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 23, 2022 08:48AM
pdq
Not a good look for a junior member of the federal judiciary, Justice [Loose] Cannon.

nono smiley

Does the appeals court have the power to remove her from anything to do with this? If so, I hope they do. And I hope she at least gets an official reprimand.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 23, 2022 08:54AM
Speedy
pdq
Not a good look for a junior member of the federalist judiciary society, Justice [Loose] Cannon.

nono smiley

goodone It's clear that the Federalist Society was giving Trump people to put on federal courts (including the Supreme Court) that passed right wing ideological purity tests and actual capacity to be a judge with awesome responsibility to fairly apply the facts to the law were a secondary - if even that - concern. Ideology over justice.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 23, 2022 04:56PM
Ted King
Does the appeals court have the power to remove her from anything to do with this? If so, I hope they do. And I hope she at least gets an official reprimand.

They do not.

I believe the superior judge of her district can reassign her, but generally, it is expected that a judge will take the message and act accordingly. Whether that will occur here is still to be seen. However I do not see that this is being sent back to her for reconsideration, so she is out of the decision loop in any case.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 23, 2022 05:16PM
I think the appeals courts usually send orders back to the district court instructing the lower court what to do. It keeps continuity for the entirety of a case before the same court. The appellate court just ruled on a particular aspect of the case.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020