advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
it’s de_fame game?!…..Giuliani held liable for defaming Georgia election workers…..
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 30, 2023 11:09AM
…..news is breaking…..

Rudy Giuliani liable for defaming Georgia election workers, hit with sanctions by judge

....A federal judge on Wednesday issued a default judgment against former Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani and ordered him to pay sanctions of nearly $133,000 in a defamation and civil conspiracy lawsuit by two Georgia election workers whom he claimed mishandled ballots in the 2020 presidential contest.

Judge Beryl Howell imposed the default judgment and monetary punishment because Giuliani repeatedly failed to comply with her orders to turn over electronically stored documents and other evidence sought by lawyers for the election workers, Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss.

Howell blasted Giuliani for "willful ... misconduct," and "slippery" statements in failing to turn over the requested information as part of the legal process known as discovery.

"The bottom line is that Giuliani has refused to comply with his discovery obligations and thwarted plaintiffs Ruby Freeman and Wandrea' ArShaye Moss's procedural rights to obtain any meaningful discovery in this case," Howell wrote in a 57-page opinion that nodded at Giuliani's recent criminal indictment with former President Donald Trump in Georgia.

The judge also ordered attorneys for Giuliani and the two women to propose three possible dates for trial in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., on the question of how much money in compensatory and punitive damages he should be ordered to pay them as a result of the default judgment.

Ted Goodman, a political advisor to Giuliani, in a statement, said, "This 57 page opinion on discovery — which would usually be no more than two or three pages — is a prime example of the weaponization of the justice system, where the process is the punishment."

"This decision should be reversed, as Mayor Giuliani is wrongly accused of not preserving electronic evidence that was seized and held by the FBI," Goodman said.

Lawyers for Freeman and Moss, who are mother and daughter, released a statement from the women.

"What we went through after the 2020 election was a living nightmare. Rudy Giuliani helped unleash a wave of hatred and threats we never could have imagined. It cost us our sense of security and our freedom to go about our lives," the woman said.

"Nothing can restore all we lost, but today's ruling is yet another neutral finding that has confirmed what we have known all along: that there was never any truth to any of the accusations about us and that we did nothing wrong," the woman said. " We were smeared for purely political reasons, and the people responsible can and should be held accountable."

"The fight to rebuild our reputations and to repair the damage to our lives is not over. But today we're one step closer, and for that we are grateful."

Freeman last year told a select House committee, "I've lost my name and I've lost my reputation" as the result of false claims Giuliani made about her handling of voters' ballots while he was representing Trump.

Trump himself had repeatedly mentioned Freeman by name in a January 2021 phone call with Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, in which the then-president pressured the official to "find" Trump enough votes to overturn his electoral loss in the state.

"Do you know how it feels to have the president of the United States target you?" Freeman asked during her testimony.....

………liable………….?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2023 04:30PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: it’s de_fame game?!…..Giuliani held liable for defaming Georgia election workers…..
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 30, 2023 11:32AM
I saw that.
What a pity. smiley-laughing001

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Re: it’s de_fame game?!…..Giuliani held liable for defaming Georgia election workers…..
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 30, 2023 11:37AM
just the beginning on this one

A federal judge on Wednesday issued a default judgment against former Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani and ordered him to pay sanctions of nearly $133,000 in a civil conspiracy lawsuit by two Georgia election workers he had claimed mishandled ballots in the 2020 presidential contest.
-
“The bottom line is that Giuliani has refused to comply with his discovery obligations and thwarted plaintiffs Ruby Freeman and Wandrea’ ArShaye Moss’s procedural rights to obtain any meaningful discovery in this case,” Howell wrote in a 57-page opinion that nodded at Giuliani’s recent criminal indictment in Georgia.

The judge also ordered attorneys for Giuliani and the two women to propose three possible dates for trial in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., on the question of how much money in compensatory and punitive damages he should be ordered to pay them as a result of the default judgment.
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 30, 2023 11:49AM
Yikes.

A default judgement.

I wonder if they can put a garnishment on whatever income he may get from his MAL fundraiser.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 30, 2023 11:54AM
'de-fame' is awesome!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 30, 2023 12:00PM
I hope when it comes time to decide compensatory and punitive damages, they take away every penny he gets from selling his apartment.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 30, 2023 12:06PM
…..ditto……!!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 30, 2023 12:20PM
smiley-laughing001No more bucks for hair dye.
Posted by: gabester
Date: August 30, 2023 01:27PM
Be sure to spin this as Giuliani has to pay poll workers he accused of stealing the election

Deplorables may just interpret it as if he paid them off to steal the election and maybe FINALLY break their blind trance of support for this neofascistic theocracy.

g=
Date: August 30, 2023 01:57PM
'Hurricane' is now one of the Four Seasons for Rudy in Georgia

Posted by: vision63
Date: August 30, 2023 02:13PM
Good. Looking forward to it being worse for him.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 30, 2023 03:16PM
gabester
Deplorables may just interpret it as if he paid them off to steal the election and maybe FINALLY break their blind trance of support for this neofascistic theocracy.

Oh, my sweet, summer child!
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 30, 2023 04:18PM
Imagine if Rudy had died around 2005. There would be parks and statues and buildings all over named for him. America's Mayor!

No he'll just be broke and in prison, remembered as Trump's toady.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 30, 2023 04:21PM
Lemon Drop
Imagine if Rudy had died around 2005. There would be parks and statues and buildings all over named for him. America's Mayor!

No he'll just be broke and in prison, remembered as Trump's toady.

absolutely true... ya blew it Rudy!
Date: August 30, 2023 04:22PM
Lemon Drop

Not true. Everyone in NYC knew that was a newspaper headline gimmick. They were pretty tired of him and looking forward to a new mayor.

They also didn't like his floating the suggestion that the election not be held so 'hero Rudy' could save New York. (You must not be from around here.)
Posted by: steve...
Date: August 30, 2023 07:22PM
I heard multiple audio clips on TV of tRump saying the same lies about the women that Giuliani told.

I hope the one term, twice Impeached, quadruply Indicted, former President gets sued too.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 31, 2023 11:03AM
Steve G.
Lemon Drop

Not true. Everyone in NYC knew that was a newspaper headline gimmick. They were pretty tired of him and looking forward to a new mayor.

They also didn't like his floating the suggestion that the election not be held so 'hero Rudy' could save New York. (You must not be from around here.)

Not from NYC, but know a number of people who are. They were a bit tired of his grandstanding. The suggestion he floated about delaying the election was the last straw for them. So I never thought of him as "America's mayor".
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 31, 2023 11:59AM
Photo ops in a disaster are low-hanging fruit for a politician. I mean, you GOT to do them though, or you'll be pilloried, but they are easy.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: August 31, 2023 01:38PM
Not from NYC and you don't need to be to know how popular a politician Rudy was from the late 90s up to his failed run for the GOP nomination in 2008, though he started that contest as the frontrunner.

In the late 90s he enjoyed support of 65 to 70% of New Yorkers. Though his methods did not withstand
later scrutiny, he got credit for cleaning up the city's crime problems. Many cities all over the country hired him as a consultant to help with their own crime problems.

The rise and fall of Rudy is a classic American political tale. Closely tied to Donald Trump, of course.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 31, 2023 02:17PM
I heard multiple audio clips on TV of tRump saying the same lies about the women that Giuliani told.

I hope the one term, twice Impeached, quadruply Indicted, former President gets sued too.

I hope so, as well.

As bad as it was for Rudy to engineer that lie, I find it even worse that P45* promoted the lie repeatedly, putting target on their backs.

Guilty until proven innocent is typical of P45*'s projections, because telling lies helps him, where the truth doesn't.

So I hope Freeman and Moss sue him as well, though he may claim that he is innocent because he acted on the advice of Rudy's counsel.

Oh, my sweet, summer child!

LOL

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Spock
Date: September 02, 2023 09:27AM

Apparently Rudy didn't read it.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: Smote
Date: September 03, 2023 01:57AM
Lemon Drop
Not from NYC and you don't need to be to know how popular a politician Rudy was from the late 90s up to his failed run for the GOP nomination in 2008, though he started that contest as the frontrunner.

In the late 90s he enjoyed support of 65 to 70% of New Yorkers. Though his methods did not withstand
later scrutiny, he got credit for cleaning up the city's crime problems. Many cities all over the country hired him as a consultant to help with their own crime problems.

The rise and fall of Rudy is a classic American political tale. Closely tied to Donald Trump, of course.

he even had a cameo on Seinfeld in the froyo episode.

"Defending your own life when in immediate danger to me is a basic right of each person. " Lemon Drop 11/17/2023 03:10 pm

Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008) Private citizens have the right under the Second Amendment to possess an ordinary type of weapon and use it for lawful, historically established situations such as self-defense in a home, even when there is no relationship to a local militia.

"The conclusion is thus inescapable that the history, concept, and wording of the second amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as well as its interpretation by every major commentator and court in the first half-century after its ratification, indicates that what is protected is an individual right of a private citizen to own and carry firearms in a peaceful manner." Right to Keep and Bear Arms: Report of the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, Ninety-seventh Congress, Second Session. U.S. Government Printing Office. 1982. Digitized September 30, 2008.

From the NYSRPA v Bruen "Today, we decline to adopt that two-part approach. . . . Despite the popularity of this two-step approach, it is one step too many. Step one of the predominant framework is broadly consistent with Heller, which demands a test rooted in the Second Amendment's text, as informed by history."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 214
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020