advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Would this Democratic President Al combo work?
Posted by: samintx
Date: September 08, 2023 08:20PM
Newsom as Vice President. Solve age secession. Give voters youth. Get current VP to bow out for family reasons.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Would this Democratic President Al combo work?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: September 08, 2023 09:23PM
I am pretty sure Ms Harris would not take this sitting down.

I am pretty sure a certain demographic, the black female vote, won't be happy about it too!

They might stay home if someone takes away 'thier turn'.

California is a solidly Democratic state. Newsome might be the best candidate, but does he bring swing states over the way Biden did?

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: steve...
Date: September 08, 2023 09:29PM
Sounds like a winnable proposal but would be asking a lot from VP Harris.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 08, 2023 11:11PM
It makes no sense for him to do that. He's also not interested in being a vice anything. It's very clear what his plans are if you read the tea leaves.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 09, 2023 01:23AM
I see no reason to switch to Newsom but I have been saying that Harris needs to go on a charm offensive. Figure out how to broaden her appeal to independents and the democrat base. She seems so stiff and afraid to offend people. 15 years ago I would have said more visits to the Oprah show but there isn't currently a real standout any more with so many channels.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Mr645
Date: September 09, 2023 07:10AM
Biden has to go, he clearly is beyond capable of any sort of leadership.
The Dems need to make a selection quickly

Biden/Putin 2024
Posted by: Ted King
Date: September 09, 2023 07:47AM
Funny, I always work my way up from the bottom of the page and read my way up so I didn't see this earlier when I made a post where I said Newsom would make a good VP candidate. But I just meant that in a generic sense like: Whitman-Newsom. If Biden wins the primaries then I don't think it makes sense to change away from Harris.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 09, 2023 10:31AM
Filliam H. Muffman
I see no reason to switch to Newsom but I have been saying that Harris needs to go on a charm offensive. Figure out how to broaden her appeal to independents and the democrat base. She seems so stiff and afraid to offend people. 15 years ago I would have said more visits to the Oprah show but there isn't currently a real standout any more with so many channels.

Pence wasn’t “stiff”?

When did we stop looking for competency in favor of “charm”?
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 09, 2023 10:33AM
Mr645
Biden has to go, he clearly is beyond capable of any sort of leadership.
The Dems need to make a selection quickly

So long as the GOQ are picking Voldemort, Biden will lead the Dem ticket.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: September 09, 2023 06:56PM
pdq
Filliam H. Muffman

Pence wasn’t “stiff”?

This subject always comes up when discussing female candidates. And only female candidates.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 09, 2023 07:36PM
This subject always comes up when discussing female candidates. And only female candidates.

This may be so and brings to mind the old Jesuit mantra of early indoctrination. On the other hand for a politician with her exposure and experience she seem to come across as a blank to a lot of voters.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 09, 2023 07:46PM
$tevie
pdq
Filliam H. Muffman

Pence wasn’t “stiff”?

Yes! I was just about to point out that Harris seemingly has a "Hillary" problem: a competent female candidate is always viewed as not having "charm" or, on the other end of the spectrum, viewed as being "bossy" if she is willing to offend people. A true no-win scenario.

I remind everyone here of the list of accomplishments of our current VP -- it's not a small list, and isn't even up to date any longer: [twitter.com]

Lastly, I'll remind everyone of this thread, it makes for interesting reading in the time since it was posted: [forums.macresource.com]

... I will be the first to admit that I wasn't crazy about Kamala as a candidate, but I think she's made a fine VP and will continue to do so. patriot smiley

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 09, 2023 08:14PM
$tevie

Partly because there is still 1% to 3% of the population that won't accept a woman as President. With Biden being so old, she is in place to replace him just as soon as they both are inaugurated. She has to have just as much, if not more, appeal as he did four years ago. It isn't only female candidates, but that is usually the word used for their appeal to the voters.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: September 09, 2023 08:36PM
Filliam H. Muffman

Partly because there is still 1% to 3% of the population that won't accept a woman as President.

That estimation may represent just women, certainly not the voting population as a whole. The white male figure would probably register in double digits.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 09, 2023 08:56PM
Personality (or lack thereof) matters regardless - just look at DeSantis

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Date: September 09, 2023 09:17PM
Ombligo

Think back to Dukakis, not only a good man but a man with a brain in his head who lost to a former CIA director who ran Willie Horton against him.
Date: September 11, 2023 08:47AM
Ombligo

Well, DeSantis is oily and obnoxious, but so is Trump - perhaps even more so.

it’s their actions that make them both political anathema to me.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 11, 2023 09:08AM
pdq
Ombligo

Well, DeSantis is oily and obnoxious, but so is Trump - perhaps even more so.

Neither of them is "oily". quotes smiley

oily adjective
- (of a person or their behavior) unpleasantly smooth and ingratiating

ingratiating adjective
- intended to gain approval or favor; sycophantic

sycophant noun
- a person who acts obsequiously toward someone important in order to gain advantage

obsequious adjective
- obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree

servile adjective
- having or showing an excessive willingness to serve or please others
Date: September 11, 2023 12:06PM
You don’t think DeSantis was obsequious to Trump before he decided to take him out?

Besides, you’re thinking too figuratively:

Oily.……………………………………………………………….…. Oily.

Wouldn’t you like to buy a used car from this man?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 666
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020