advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
what about Bob?!…..Bob Menendez says cash from raid was ‘personal savings’…..
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 25, 2023 11:04AM
….oh Bob…..

Sen. Bob Menendez suggests cash found in bribery raid came from 'personal savings'

.... Sen. Bob Menendez of New Jersey suggested Monday that hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash seized by federal investigators from his home as part of a probe that led to his bribery indictment came from his personal savings account.

"I have withdrawn thousands of dollars in cash from my personal savings account, what I have kept for emergencies and because of the history of my family facing confiscation in Cuba," Menendez said during a press conference in Union, New Jersey.

"Now this may seem old-fashioned, but these were monies drawn from my personal savings account based on the income that I have lawfully derived," the Democrat added.

He again said he had no plans to resign from the Senate, despite calls that he do so from Gov. Phil Murphy and other leading New Jersey Democrats.

Menendez, 69, and his wife, Nadine, were indicted on federal bribery charges in New York last week.

Prosecutors accused the couple of accepting bribes including cash, gold bars, a Mercedes-Benz car and mortgage payments from three New Jersey businessmen, who also have been charged in the case.

Investigators armed with a warrant to search Menendez's home in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, last year found more than $480,000 in cash "hidden in clothing, closets, and a safe," according to the three-count indictment in Manhattan federal court.

Menendez on Monday, in about 25 minutes of remarks made in English and Spanish, did not address the gold bars found in his home. That gold is worth an estimated $155,000.

"Prosecutors get it wrong sometimes," he said.

"I recognize this will be the biggest fight yet, but as I have stated throughout this whole process, I firmly believe that when all the facts are presented, not only will I be exonerated, but I still will be New Jersey's senior senator," Menendez said.

He did not answer any questions from reporters at the event.

The indictment accuses Menendez of giving "sensitive" U.S. government information to the government of Egypt, and taking other steps that aided that nation.

It also alleges that he tried to use his position to affect criminal probes of two of the businessmen, and pressured a U.S. Agriculture Department official to protect a business monopoly in Egypt for the third businessman.......

…….it was all ‘personal’ money…….?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2023 04:25PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: what about Bob?!…..Bob Menendez says cash from raid was ‘personal savings’…..
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 25, 2023 11:06AM
I'm gonna have my money smelted into ingots.
Re: what about Bob?!…..Bob Menendez says cash from raid was ‘personal savings’…..
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 25, 2023 11:12AM
Lies like a Repug.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: September 25, 2023 11:23AM
I held my nose to vote for him after his last trial because I didn't want a R to take the seat. I think this time they've got enough to convict him.

And the NJ Dems will find someone else to elect in his place.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 25, 2023 11:57AM
Everybody keeps a little cash on hand.

One never knows when a power outage will take out the ATMs or the stores' registers go on the blink.

And not every pizza delivery guy/gal has a Venmo account.

So a guy keeps a little pin money handy.

What's The Fuss.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 25, 2023 12:40PM
Lizabeth
I held my nose to vote for him after his last trial because I didn't want a R to take the seat. I think this time they've got enough to convict him.

NJ Dems renominated him after a hung jury, they may the underlying problem.
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 25, 2023 01:08PM
RgrF
Lizabeth

NJ Dems renominated him after a hung jury, they may the underlying problem.

Not really. I know that's what George Carlin said during his fabled "Cantankerous Tour." But it's always on a candidate or supporters of an initiative or whatever to convince an electorate to vote or support them. If they don't succeed then they've failed and the winner succeeded.

If you examine elections etc., you can usually spot the flaws. The primary goal in any election is to convince people that don't want to vote for you, to instead, vote for you. To win their vote. Most challengers aren't interested in doing that.

Ideologues never try to win a vote. Rarely alter or shift a position that could perhaps make the difference. The same people are elected because they successfully did what they needed to do to grab a majority. Challengers fear being abandoned by their supporters because they decided to cross a T to win over a voter.

Open primaries, jungle primaries, ranked choice are designed to help failures have a better shot.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: September 25, 2023 06:49PM
NewtonMP2100
"I have withdrawn thousands of dollars in cash from my personal savings account, what I have kept for emergencies and because of the history of my family facing confiscation in Cuba," Menendez said during a press conference in Union, New Jersey...

Yeah, I think he took bribes.

But as stories go, his is not so far fetched.

Growing up, I knew a bunch of Cuban families with grandparents and parents coming over from the revolution and they were all hoarders with similar sentiments, lots of talk of cash hidden around the house.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020