Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Not every gunner is a right wing-nut
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 22, 2023 12:14PM
[wapo.st]

Louisville bank shooter killed 5 people to highlight gun laws

A man who killed five people and injured eight at a Louisville bank in April was motivated by outrage over gun laws he considered lax, and a hope that his rampage would highlight the ease with which he acquired an AR-15 and spur politicians into action on the issue, according to the shooter’s personal writings revealed in a police report Tuesday.

“I have decided to make an impact. These people did not deserve to die, but because I was depressed and able to buy [guns], they are gone. Perhaps this is the impact for change — upper class white people dying. I certainly would not have been able to do this were it more difficult to get a gun,” Connor Sturgeon wrote six days before the April 10 shooting at the Old National Bank where he worked.

“I know our politicians are solely focused on lining their own pockets, but maybe this will knock some sense into them. If not, good luck,” he wrote.

The police report, made public Tuesday, shares chilling details on the shooter’s thoughts and motives leading to the massacre. The 25-year-old described suffering from persistent depression, feeling inadequate and bearing the weight of nationwide issues that afflicted him, including inflation, climate disaster and a lack of mental health care. He criticized politicians, gun-interest groups and party politics for deadly gun violence, and particularly for gun laws that made getting a rifle “so easy.” These issues, he wrote, propelled his homicidal plans.

Gun violence maintains a grip on the nation. Three dozen mass killings — The Washington Post defines these as events in which four or more people died in a shooting, not including the perpetrator — have occurred this year, and larger debates rage over whether the AR-15 and similar weapons are too easy to get.

In Kentucky, Sturgeon faced no barriers to entry as a gun owner. He had no prior criminal record, which means he would have passed the federally required background check, The Post reported. The state does not have a “red-flag” law, a measure to prevent people who are reported to be potentially dangerous from buying and possessing guns.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Not every gunner is a right wing-nut
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 22, 2023 04:20PM
Are you sure we are not in a simulation?
Re: Not every gunner is a right wing-nut
Posted by: gadje
Date: November 23, 2023 06:15AM
why didn't he go to his state legislature to make his point? After all those are the people he had issues with, not some innocent random bank customers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 755
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020