advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
[T]he most pro-life president ever” is now claiming to be a pro choice moderate...
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: November 27, 2023 08:21PM
[www.wonkette.com]

Yes, the guy who kicked off the whole “women are having abortions as they’re giving birth!” thing, the guy who brought back the global gag rule on abortion, the guy who barred Planned Parenthood from receiving Title X funds, leaving six states without any Title X providers until the Biden administration reversed the rule in 2021, the guy who put three justices on the Supreme Court for the explicit purpose of overturning Roe v. Wade … now wants to be seen as a reasonable moderate on the issue. Sure...

TLDR: He knows that nobody on the right is gonna buy it and he's got a lock on them anyway, so the play is to sway just enough stupid people on the left to win him the election.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: [T]he most pro-life president ever” is now claiming to be a pro choice moderate...
Posted by: gadje
Date: November 27, 2023 09:23PM
what a rectum orifice
Re: [T]he most pro-life president ever” is now claiming to be a pro choice moderate...
Posted by: gabester
Date: November 27, 2023 09:51PM
This is actually my greatest fear. That the obviously alt (wh/r)ight would-be petty dictator will "switch sides" and run in '24 as a moderate... and "the people" electing politicians in this country, "the people" who have such short memories and almost no attention span, would fall for it.

That's the truly terrifying thing. What if he came back and after fomenting this magat base truly did policies that the majority wanted? (I know, at this point, that seems far, far too unlikely... but if he just truly lives for the adulation, surely he could win the hearts and minds of the masses by leading the enactment of sensible gun reform, immigration reform, banishing dark money in politics, eliminating fossil fuel subsidies, and so many other broadly supported policies.) He and his family might never be removed from office.

g=
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 28, 2023 01:43AM
gabester
This is actually my greatest fear. That the obviously alt (wh/r)ight would-be petty dictator will "switch sides" and run in '24 as a moderate... and "the people" electing politicians in this country, "the people" who have such short memories and almost no attention span, would fall for it.

That's the truly terrifying thing. What if he came back and after fomenting this magat base truly did policies that the majority wanted? (I know, at this point, that seems far, far too unlikely... but if he just truly lives for the adulation, surely he could win the hearts and minds of the masses by leading the enactment of sensible gun reform, immigration reform, banishing dark money in politics, eliminating fossil fuel subsidies, and so many other broadly supported policies.) He and his family might never be removed from office.

That would require a platform and policies. Other than stopping undocumented immigration, he has no policies.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Michael
Date: November 28, 2023 05:55AM
He doesn't have any core beliefs (except whatever benefits him). He came out as pro-life to get the nomination. Back in 1999 he said he was, "...pro-choice in every respect." He's just reflecting the change in Republicans where most are now pro-choice to some degree. I think that a lot of politicians do exactly the same thing.

[www.washingtonpost.com]
Date: November 28, 2023 06:09AM
Speedy
gabester

That would require a platform and policies. Other than stopping undocumented immigration, he has no policies.

Harassing, unlawfully shutting down businesses, prosecuting, jailing -- and even killing -- his political opponents and "enemies" and filling the civil service with toadies, and putting people of color in concentration camps is not a platform?

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: November 28, 2023 06:34AM
The economic development manager of our county council said last night that he expects the county's growth to slow in 2024, but he tells businesses and citizens to just "hang on til 2025" and then things will be good again.

Because he fully expects Trump to be re-elected President.

And he thinks the first thing Trump will do is get the Fed to lower interest rates.

I'd say the majority of people in my state not only support Trump, they fuly expect him to be President again.

As if nothing weird and awful has happened.
As if the guy is not an epic crook.

They don't believe any of his legal problems are legit, think it is all political games by Democrats.

THAT is the problem friends.

Dueling realities.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: November 28, 2023 07:31AM
Tiangou
so the play is to sway just enough stupid people on the left to win him the election.

They have RFK Jr.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 28, 2023 10:49AM

For many of his supporters, he was a Choose Your Own Adventure president who did and said every single thing they ever wanted, regardless of whether or not he did or said even one of them.

OMG, best description of the MAGAts ever.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 28, 2023 11:24AM
His supporters have co-opted Univision to poison Spanish speakers against Biden. I expect something similar with Al Jazeera or similar news/streaming sites popular with Arab/Muslim groups in the US, to obfuscate his moving the consulate to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: November 28, 2023 11:41AM
$tevie

For many of his supporters, he was a Choose Your Own Adventure president who did and said every single thing they ever wanted, regardless of whether or not he did or said even one of them.

OMG, best description of the MAGAts ever.

Truly.

Glad we still have Wonkette, now that Jezebel is gone.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: November 28, 2023 12:33PM
gabester

Yeah, though I would say it might be as much about the kinds of things too many people paid attention to outside their personal bubbles. They paid attention to how much they paid for things. They still do. Eggs used to cost a lot less. Everything costs more than it did before Biden came into office (lazy generality thinking). To a lot of the politically disengaged, things will go on without major upheaval no matter what. They take the process for granted. So the price of eggs determines who they'll vote for for president.

e pluribus unum
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 28, 2023 12:38PM
Remember, we're talking about someone who has borrowed things right out of the Orwell playbook:

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 28, 2023 12:54PM
Ted King
gabester

Yeah, though I would say it might be as much about the kinds of things too many people paid attention to outside their personal bubbles. They paid attention to how much they paid for things. They still do. Eggs used to cost a lot less. Everything costs more than it did before Biden came into office (lazy generality thinking). To a lot of the politically disengaged, things will go on without major upheaval no matter what. They take the process for granted. So the price of eggs determines who they'll vote for for president.

Funny thing about the price of eggs. Here the prices are down to pre-pandemic/bird flu levels. But when the subject comes up in my family circles, it's always about how expensive they were for those few months last winter. Biden was president then. Ergo, the high price of eggs is still Biden's fault, even though they are no longer high.
Posted by: decay
Date: November 28, 2023 02:09PM
don't forget LOW GAS PRICES and MEAN TWEETS are what we need again!

(never mind that the first one had nothing to do with who was in the white house)

---
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 28, 2023 03:31PM
"...the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality was tacitly denied by their philosophy."

Ignorance Is Strength
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 28, 2023 03:59PM
too bad Mary Ann din't swallow

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 28, 2023 07:12PM
DeusxMac
"...the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality was tacitly denied by their philosophy."

Ignorance Is Strength

Yes, and in the signs those supporters are holding in the photo I posted above, you should assume that what is written is the opposite of what the real meaning is. That is, Peace through Strength = Strength through War. True doublethink.

And yes, the proles will believe whatever they're told to believe ... whether it's about the price of eggs or high inflation being Biden's fault (it's not), that Biden got us into wars with Ukraine and Hamas (he didn't!), or that ... biggest lie of all ... that Dump won in 2020 and the election was stolen.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 29, 2023 01:08PM
Lemon Drop

Looks like Jezebel is coming back! [gift link]
[www.nytimes.com]

Date: November 29, 2023 01:38PM
$tevie
Lemon Drop

Looks like Jezebel is coming back! [gift link]
[www.nytimes.com]

Yay!
Date: November 29, 2023 03:38PM
And they got Splinter in the deal.

I wonder whether Gawker is back on the market.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 358
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020