advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
I want a buzzer to Zap politicians during press conferences when they don't answer a question.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: December 03, 2023 11:06AM
Watching Meet The Press, DeSantis (as all politicians, I admit it) do anything they can to
not answer questions. I'm sitting here hollering at the TV, "[bJUST ANSWER THE F-ING QUESTIO!"[/b]Yeah, this has been going on forever, but the older I get, the more outspoken I get.
The moderators of press conferences should be able to send a shock to the seat of any politician who does not answer the question asked.
That is all, don't to get too wound up here.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I want a buzzer to Zap politicians during press conferences when they don't answer a question.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 03, 2023 11:09AM
This, of course...

[www.youtube.com]
Re: I want a buzzer to Zap politicians during press conferences when they don't answer a question.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: December 03, 2023 11:20AM
I know, and the interviewer never says, "Ok, great, but you didn't answer the question".
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: December 03, 2023 11:21AM
DeSantis has a standard practice of interrupting reporters and answering the question he wants to answer instead of the question they're trying to ask.

It's one of the many reasons why he's broadly despised.

Posted by: wurm
Date: December 03, 2023 11:24AM
The moderators of press conferences should be able to send a shock to the seat of any politician who does not answer the question asked.

If they'd do that, I'd watch all the debates (probably).

and the interviewer never says, "Ok, great, but you didn't answer the question".

I'd even settle for that if a shock weren't allowed.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 03, 2023 12:37PM
Note that a lot of this is the “attack journalism” that attempts to create polarizing issues when none exist. The old “when did you stop beating your spouse” question ….

Congressional “investigations “ are full of this BS. An “I do not know but I will get back to you in x hours/days” should be acceptable….
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: December 03, 2023 01:18PM
cbelt3
Note that a lot of this is the “attack journalism” that attempts to create polarizing issues when none exist. The old “when did you stop beating your spouse” question ….

Point to an "attack" question he's been asked.

When has DeSantis said "I do not know but I will get back to you ...?"

Do "attack" questions justify his abusive language and behavior towards reporters? How about his obnoxious disdain and outright misogyny towards female reporters?

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 03, 2023 02:08PM
FWIW I am in no way defending DeathSantis…. I’m just expressing annoyance at this sort of thing… old man yelling at stuff here…
Posted by: kj
Date: December 03, 2023 03:23PM
Your buzzer finger would get really, really sore. And the truth is, they don't want to answer the question, and there is no way you're going to make them do it. It's not like you would be providing them a friendly reminder they haven't answered the question. It's intentional.

Bill O'Reilly is the only person I've ever seen who wouldn't allow people to provide non-answers to questions. Of course, that might have been the only thing I really liked about him, but that was kind of cool at the time.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: December 03, 2023 03:40PM
mstudio
I know, and the interviewer never says, "Ok, great, but you didn't answer the question".

To Kristin Welker's credit, she did try several times to cut DeSantis off and repeat the question, he just kept talking over her.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: hal
Date: December 03, 2023 03:42PM
interviewers should stay mute until the question is answered - maybe after a few seconds say, "I'm waiting..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2023 03:43PM by hal.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 03, 2023 04:56PM
hal
interviewers should stay mute until the question is answered - maybe after a few seconds say, "I'm waiting..."

That wouldn't work because they would keep talking about what they want to talk about and continue to ignore the questions.
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 03, 2023 07:23PM
What ever happened to these folks...

Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 04, 2023 06:34AM
Hal,

Agreed. The interviewer should say, that and also "You didn't answer the question. If, when you say you'll answer the question and I turn on the mic again but avoid the question, you'll get buzzed and muted again." Repeat. If the politician doesn't get to speak, so be it. Boo hoo.

Robert
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 04, 2023 11:35AM
If you make them mad with buzzers and demands for truth, they won't agree to interview in the future, and you won't attract eyeballs and advertising.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 04, 2023 12:43PM
Acer
If you make them mad with buzzers and demands for truth, they won't agree to interview in the future, and you won't attract eyeballs and advertising.

Works for me. The politicians also covet airtime.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: bfd
Date: December 04, 2023 01:16PM
Maybe a trap door that drops the lying liars into a shark tank …

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 04, 2023 03:41PM
It needs to go both ways. Interviewer needs to get zapped if it's an attack question that can't be answered. Interviewee gets muted, or audio feedback (acoustic hailing and disruption) to keep them from talking, zapped if repeated non-answer.

Maybe dueling buttons, one for each side. Have a neutral third party enable one side or the other...

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 04, 2023 05:18PM
I've always said that I'd be happy with a timer on the mic. At the beginning of every debate there are usually rules that you have 90 seconds or whatever amount to answer. Give them a countdown timer so there's no surprise, but when their time is up, the mic is OFF.

Next!
Date: December 04, 2023 07:40PM
wurm
I've always said that I'd be happy with a timer on the mic. At the beginning of every debate there are usually rules that you have 90 seconds or whatever amount to answer. Give them a countdown timer so there's no surprise, but when their time is up, the mic is OFF.

Next!

I think they think that would hurt ratings, or whatever, but it would help ratings. Everyone would watch that. It would reduce most politicians into raging monkeys.
Posted by: Smote
Date: December 05, 2023 04:14AM
cbelt3

Congressional “investigations “ are full of this BS. An “I do not know but I will get back to you in x hours/days” should be acceptable….

And then actually get back to them at the designated time.

But I've seen a lot of testimony where the questioned was truly clueless about the topic, or would do just about anything short of run to the fire alarm lever and pull it to get out of answering a question.

"Defending your own life when in immediate danger to me is a basic right of each person. " Lemon Drop 11/17/2023 03:10 pm

Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008) Private citizens have the right under the Second Amendment to possess an ordinary type of weapon and use it for lawful, historically established situations such as self-defense in a home, even when there is no relationship to a local militia.

"The conclusion is thus inescapable that the history, concept, and wording of the second amendment to the Constitution of the United States, as well as its interpretation by every major commentator and court in the first half-century after its ratification, indicates that what is protected is an individual right of a private citizen to own and carry firearms in a peaceful manner." Right to Keep and Bear Arms: Report of the Subcommittee on the Constitution of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, Ninety-seventh Congress, Second Session. U.S. Government Printing Office. 1982. Digitized September 30, 2008.

From the NYSRPA v Bruen "Today, we decline to adopt that two-part approach. . . . Despite the popularity of this two-step approach, it is one step too many. Step one of the predominant framework is broadly consistent with Heller, which demands a test rooted in the Second Amendment's text, as informed by history."
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 05, 2023 08:43AM
Acer,

That's fine with me. I don't waste time watching debates and interviews since it's the same old "avoid the question entirely" or provide some nonsense related to the actual answer to the question that is in reality a non-answer.

Robert
Date: December 05, 2023 04:14PM
Robert M
Acer,

That's fine with me. I don't waste time watching debates and interviews since it's the same old "avoid the question entirely" or provide some nonsense related to the actual answer to the question that is in reality a non-answer.

Robert

Exactly. Debates are just like job interviews. People get really good at job interviews, so they provide almost no useful information. But look back at job history, and if they have a different Job every 3 months, that's gold (information-wise). So look at what a candidate has done, and you can be reasonably sure they'll keep doing something similar.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 08, 2023 12:46PM

Shock therapy for behavior modification:

[www.youtube.com]

Put interviewees in their own soundproof booth with a mic and a zappy belt.

With After each zap, their mic is cut off for a time out, and the other interviewee gets to comment on the other's non-answer.

For on point responses, only one of the interviewees' mic is live at a time.

No interruptions, except for the interview reminding a participant to stick to the point or get a zap and time out.

And no talking over the interviewer.

A separate, always live mic records the rants, ravings, and outburst not heard by the audience for later broadcast of 'Funniest Moments of the ________ Debate' You Didn't Hear.

Of course this would never happen because of course politicians seldom want to answer the question asked, if it doesn't further their own agenda.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 08, 2023 03:32PM
“After each zap, their mic is cut off for a time out”

But only after they are done screaming in agony.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 08, 2023 04:19PM
RAMd®d
Shock therapy for behavior modification:

[www.youtube.com]

Hmm, where have I seen that before??

[forums.macresource.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 281
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020