advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Dominion wins access to Newsmax journalists' texts in its defamation case
Posted by: jonny
Date: December 08, 2023 10:41PM
[www.msn.com]

"Dominion Voting Systems is entitled to review personal communications and text messages of Newsmax Media journalists in its defamation suit against the conservative media company, a Delaware judge ruled last week.

The ruling is a blow to Newsmax, which successfully avoided such a mandate in a similar case and sought to allow its employees to voluntarily offer up any relevant communications."

Should be good for a laugh.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dominion wins access to Newsmax journalists' texts in its defamation case
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 09, 2023 03:26AM
Good, let’s see how deplorable Newsmax is.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 09, 2023 07:30AM
It’s called discovery, and it happens in every civil case.

Newsmax knows how bad it will look.

Kinda like Trump’s Secret Service detail inexplicably losing all their text communications.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 09, 2023 10:55AM
I'm bothered by this only because I never like the court ordering any journalist to open up their notes, editor discussions, etc. This weakens journalism and sets a dangerous precedent. Don't think it couldn't be used by the right against the NYT, WaPo, or any other media outlet.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 09, 2023 11:31AM
...but NewsMax =/= the NYT, WaPo, or any most other media outlets ...and I'm not talking about political slant, unless the latter organizations were shown to be recklessly smearing companies or individuals in the service of purely political ends. In which case I would support such discovery.

IMO, NewMax is, quite frankly, in in the business of glibly selling mis-information...and (I think) equating them with legitimate news organizations is a form of whataboutism or false equivalency.

Again, just my opinion, but I would say one of these things is not like the others.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 09, 2023 12:56PM
jonny
"Dominion Voting Systems is entitled to review personal communications and text messages of Newsmax Media journalists in its defamation suit against the conservative media company, a Delaware judge ruled last week.

Newsmax doesn't employ any journalists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2023 12:57PM by AllGold.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 212
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020