advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Texas Supreme Court Temporarily Halts Court-Approved Abortion
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 09, 2023 03:15AM
No surprise, this is what the Texas wing nuts have made.

[www.nytimes.com]

The Texas Supreme Court late Friday temporarily halted a lower court order allowing a Dallas woman to obtain an abortion in spite of the state’s strict bans, after she learned her fetus has a fatal condition.

The state court’s ruling was in response to an appeal from Attorney General Ken Paxton of Texas, who opposed the woman’s abortion.

The Supreme Court said that, “without regard to the merits” of the arguments on either side, it had issued an administrative stay in the case, to give itself more time to issue a final ruling.

The stay meant that, for the moment, the order from a judge in Travis County district court permitting the abortion was on hold. That order allowed the woman, Kate Cox, to obtain an abortion and protected her doctor from civil or criminal liability under Texas’s overlapping abortion bans.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2023 07:24AM by Speedy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Texas Supreme Court Temporarily Halts Court-Approved Abortion
Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 09, 2023 03:37AM
Because an appeal was filed by the felon Attorney General of Texas. F that guy.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: December 09, 2023 05:04AM
Meanwhile the woman is the one who suffers, while politicians and judges act like dixx.

The top Court understands that if they grant this exception, they will have undermined the state's hideous control over women's bodies.

So they are going to answer very carefully.

I imagine this woman has had offers of travel and care from the free states.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 09, 2023 05:21AM
No surprise. I also won't be surprised when the court either reverses the ruling or drags it out for a convenient nine months. This will end up being a challenge to the Texas law against traveling out of state to obtain medical care.

The woman should have undergone the procedure immediately after the ruling before Paxton could get involved.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: December 09, 2023 05:25AM
Ombligo
No surprise. I also won't be surprised when the court either reverses the ruling or drags it out for a convenient nine months. This will end up being a challenge to the Texas law against traveling out of state to obtain medical care.

The woman should have undergone the procedure immediately after the ruling before Paxton could get involved.

How would she have done that????

"Mr. Paxton’s filings came hours after a district court judge issued a temporary restraining order barring Mr. Paxton and others from enforcing the state’s overlapping abortion bans against Ms. Cox’s doctor, Damla Karsan, or anyone who assisted her with providing an abortion to Ms. Cox."
Posted by: Mr645
Date: December 09, 2023 06:40AM
Just wait until it's born, then do the abortion.

Biden/Putin 2024
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 09, 2023 07:27AM
Lemon Drop

I imagine this woman has had offers of travel and care from the free states.

I believe that would be illegal in Texas- even to offer help or transportation. If it’s not yet, they’re trying to make it so.

This is the face of today’s GOP - doctrinaire posing despite the ridiculousness and cruelty of their positions.

Actually, I can’t help but conclude that the cruelty is a feature, not a bug. They and their supporters want and enjoy seeing the “other”, the outsider, the desperate to suffer; I can only imagine it provides some measure of revenge for their own sucky lives.
Posted by: gadje
Date: December 09, 2023 07:39AM
She should travel out of state and never return.
Posted by: Acer
Date: December 09, 2023 08:58AM
Mr645

But if you want a death penalty, the Texas courts will happily hold your cloak while you throw the stones.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 09, 2023 09:47AM
Mr645
Might want to read the story. The fetus is not viable and will die during / immediately after birth. Welcome to medical laws made by religious fascists with no medical understanding AND no ovaries of their own.
Posted by: Spock
Date: December 09, 2023 10:31AM
Justice delayed is justice denied.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 09, 2023 11:11AM
cbelt3
Mr645
Might want to read the story. The fetus is not viable and will die during / immediately after birth. Welcome to medical laws made by religious fascists with no medical understanding AND no ovaries of their own.

“We won with poorly educated…" "I love the poorly educated!"
Posted by: Diana
Date: December 09, 2023 11:25AM
cbelt3
Mr645

And I will add, little to no real compassion.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: December 10, 2023 06:10AM
cbelt3
Mr645

But, but, God, you know, the all knowing, God that makes every man in his own image.

Clearly this woman would have been far better off before Roe V Wade was overturned. Biden will forever be known as the president that allowed this to happen

Biden/Putin 2024
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 10, 2023 06:49AM
Trump will be forever known as the president that packed the Supreme Court with compliant Federalist Society judges who live in an alternate reality and insist that we all must too.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 10, 2023 11:21AM
Mr645
Clearly this woman would have been far better off before Roe V Wade was overturned. Biden will forever be known as the president that allowed this to happen

Just wow - you REALLY are trying to blame the 6:3 conservative SCOTUS where the conservative majority appointed by your False Prophet on President Biden? I really do not want to know what kind of mental gymnastics your brain has to go through to get to this clearly rebuttable lie.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: December 10, 2023 02:10PM
I think that even trolling can be droll humor, and blaming Biden for being president when the Dobbs decision happened has got to be the ultimate in sarcasm. Perhaps the 645 should change his signature to Dimsdale.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 10, 2023 03:05PM
Ca Bob
I think that even trolling can be droll humor, and blaming Biden for being president when the Dobbs decision happened has got to be the ultimate in sarcasm. Perhaps the 645 should change his signature to Dimsdale.

If i thought it was sarcasm, I would tip my hat.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: December 10, 2023 05:25PM
Willful ignorance is a far cry from sarcasm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 247
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020