Re: This week's cover of The Economist
Posted by: jonny
Date: January 23, 2024 09:46PM
Or this... "The Arsonist"

Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: January 24, 2024 04:04AM
The non-paywalled opening to the cover story.

”When donald trump slunk out of the White House in 2021, executives at large American companies sighed with relief. Now that he has won Iowa’s caucuses by a margin of 30 points, they are digesting the reality that this time next year Mr Trump could be behind the Resolute desk once again. The Economist has spent the past few weeks talking to these titans. Some are deeply alarmed by the prospect of Trump 2. But others quietly welcome the chaos trade.

People who run large organisations have to be optimistic. They must find opportunities when others are panicking. ceos had an uneasy relationship with President Trump, many distancing themselves from his most outrageous pronouncements and tut-tutting about protectionism, even as they enjoyed his more conventional policies. Republicans in Congress may have talked about being the pro-worker party, but in practice they cut business taxes. It was hard for corporate America to be miserable amid a soaring stockmarket.”*

The same, from an earlier Economist article, about a week ago.

Many CEOs fear a second Trump term would be worse than the first
Though they will only say so in private

”When donald trump left office three years ago, still huffing, puffing and plotting to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election, the leaders of most of America’s biggest corporations were only too happy to see the back of him. They wore their moral outrage like a badge of honour. True, they had conveniently put aside their earlier scruples about Mr Trump’s suitability for the White House, bought off by generous corporate and personal tax cuts in 2017. True, many had cravenly turned a blind eye to his torching of environmental rules in support of a broad-brush regulatory bonfire. But his attempts to subvert American democracy, and the storming of the Capitol by his supporters on January 6th 2021, were a step too far.

With unusual unity, they huffed and puffed back. Manufacturers called the riots a “disgusting episode”. The Business Roundtable, a lobby group for big companies, called on Mr Trump to “put an end to the chaos”. Some prominent firms pledged not to provide financial support to the 147 Republican lawmakers who had refused to certify Mr Trump’s defeat.”

A priest, a rabbit and a minister walk into a bar.
The bartender asks the rabbit "what'll ya have?"
The rabbit says "I dunno. I'm only here because of Autocorrect.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 24, 2024 09:36AM
jonny
Or this... "The Arsonist"

Hey my German is good enough to translate this:

The Fire-Devil
A President sets his country on fire

As for America's executives concerned about a 2nd criminal White House term, they could, you know, put on their big boy britches and actually support the sane, adult candidate in the room instead of acting like children. Heaven forbid it means they'd have to likely make some concessions impacting their exhorbitant profits and restricting their ability to sell shoddy / harmful products. Oh noes!

Or allow an actual kakistokleptocrat to slink in and use the nation's agencies to outright steal their companies livelihoods to enrich himself.

g=

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2024 09:37AM by gabester.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: January 24, 2024 10:23AM
gabester

As for America's executives concerned about a 2nd criminal White House term, they could, you know, put on their big boy britches and actually support the sane, adult candidate in the room instead of acting like children.

Oh no, no... it's Democrats that have to grow up according to JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon:

[forums.macresource.com]

e pluribus unum
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 24, 2024 12:12PM
Ted King
Oh no, no... it's Democrats that have to grow up according to JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon:

Yeah... I saw that remark, and observed similarly couched comments from other high profile executives over the years... It might be beneficial if some people had gotten locked up after 2008 so that these guys would see that their behavior could veer into criminal and that being seen not rejecting much less supporting or heaven forbid bankrolling insurrectionists is not a good look when they're in prison even if it's Club Fed.

g=
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 124
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020