Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Speaking of Trump Lawyers, Cheeto is looking to hire new ones
Posted by: steve...
Date: January 31, 2024 09:08PM
The Apprentice 2024 ???
barf smiley

Donald Trump appears to be treating his planned appeal in the second E. Jean Carroll defamation case like his former reality TV show, "The Apprentice."

The former president announced late Tuesday in a game show-like fashion on his social-media platform, Truth Social: "I am in the process, along with my team, of interviewing various law firms to represent me" in his appeal of the recent jury verdict that ordered him to pay a whopping $83.3 million to Carroll for defaming her.

In his post, Trump called the case "one of the most ridiculous and unfair Witch Hunts our Country has ever seen" as he again bashed US District Judge Lewis Kaplan, who presided over the Manhattan trial, calling him "Trump hating" and a "bully."

Trump, the frontrunner for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, promised that he would soon decide which law firm would represent him for his appeal in the case.

Business Insider

Northern California Coast

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2024 09:12PM by steve....
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Speaking of Trump Lawyers, Cheeto is looking to hire new ones
Posted by: timg
Date: January 31, 2024 09:14PM
He will certainly pick one who will put up the $83M for the appeal.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: bfd
Date: January 31, 2024 09:24PM
His net worth falls further every day, but perhaps all these 'business losses' will simply make it another year of "no taxes due, Donnie"…
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 31, 2024 09:45PM
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a defense today.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: wurm
Date: January 31, 2024 09:46PM
promised that he would soon decide which law firm would draw the short straw and be forced to represent him for his appeal in the case.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 01, 2024 12:01AM
“Neama Rahmani, an attorney and former federal prosecutor, explained that appellate lawyers "have a different skill set" like "looking for legal errors rather than arguing to a jury."

Trump, Rahmani said, "probably realizes that he lost the second Carroll trial so badly in part due to Alina Habba's limited trial experience and that he needs experienced appellate counsel."

"The question is," he said, "are any of them willing to take on an appeal they will likely lose?"

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 01, 2024 07:38AM
Speedy
“Neama Rahmani, an attorney and former federal prosecutor, explained that appellate lawyers "have a different skill set" like "looking for legal errors rather than arguing to a jury."

Trump, Rahmani said, "probably realizes that he lost the second Carroll trial so badly in part due to Alina Habba's limited trial experience and that he needs experienced appellate counsel."

"The question is," he said, "are any of them willing to take on an appeal they will likely lose?"

Well, sure. There’s a sucker born every minute, and folks like Trump depend on that.

The options are narrowing, though.
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 01, 2024 09:00AM
Looking forward to the swimsuit competition.
Posted by: gadje
Date: February 01, 2024 10:42AM
Is Alina still his attorney or he fired her?
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: February 01, 2024 04:10PM
If I understand correctly, Alina failed to object to items which otherwise might be appealed. You have to raise the issue at trial in order to appeal, which seems a bit harsh but prevents lawyers from turning an appeal into a completely new trial. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but it would appear that Alina really was less than optimal in terms of preserving Trump's options for appeal.
Date: February 01, 2024 05:40PM
I wonder if she ever defended someone in a real trial before. How much actual experience has she?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: February 01, 2024 06:27PM
gadje
I wonder if she ever defended someone in a real trial before. How much actual experience has she?

Another "Prep School" demonstration of the Peter Principle.

"She attended Lehigh University, graduating in 2005 with a bachelor's degree in political science."

"She obtained a Juris Doctor from the Widener University Commonwealth Law School* ..."

"In March 2020 she left [a seven-attorney firm formed by her then-husband] to start her own firm. The firm, Habba, Madaio and Associates LLP, employs five people. Along with the firm's Bedminster, New Jersey office, Habba has an office in Manhattan."

"Habba has...held the position of general counsel for her second husband's parking garage company. She has represented clients in various legal cases including a man suing a nursing home in New Jersey, and a student seeking a refund for college tuition after University of Bridgeport moved classes to an online format.

In July 2021, Habba represented Siggy Flicker, a Trump-supporting former member of The Real Housewives of New Jersey who alleged that Facebook had disabled her account for wishing Melania Trump a happy birthday.

In July 2021, Habba represented Caesar DePaço, a vitamin supplement entrepreneur, in a federal court case where she filed a lawsuit against Portuguese journalists for revealing his close connections to the far-right Chega party in Portugal."

* Widener University Commonwealth Law School
- USNWR rank #166 Trial Advocacy
- Assessment score by lawyers/judges (out of 5) 2.2
- Peer assessment score (out of 5) 1.6
Date: February 01, 2024 06:32PM
Sounds like any of us could do better with a few weeks of preparation
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 01, 2024 07:19PM
But not all of us have her tatas. Trump doesn’t care if he wins or loses because he doesn’t plan to pay these judgements. He’ll die before any cash changes hands. And there is always bankruptcy.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 01, 2024 07:47PM
Speedy
He’ll die before any cash changes hands.

Hoping that some cash changes hands real soon now.
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 06, 2024 08:37AM
Speedy
And there is always bankruptcy.

Followed up another decade claiming the loss in order to pay no taxes! Always a silver lining.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 176
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020