advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
More on the illegal immigration script from the right
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 03, 2024 01:41PM
The message is evolving -

from just 'the borders are no longer secure' to 'this is intentional'.

Why?

Now the storyline is that the Dems WANT to 'import' these immigrants so they will vote Democratic.

Don't shoot the messenger here - just sharing as I am not sure the left bubble is hearing this storyline.

As written, it's logical and, because the Dems have not fought the 'news' cycles, it now seems reasonable.

Will at the very least lead more states to require proof of citizenship to vote.

Also gives the right cover for more voting rights abuses.

Again, please do not target me for sharing, or try to counter with 'this is not true.' What I am presenting is the current narrative, and it's only going to get worse in 2024 if the Dems do not find a political solution.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: More on the illegal immigration script from the right
Posted by: PeterB
Date: February 03, 2024 03:48PM
Unfortunately, I don't there's likely to be a viable political solution, as it seems a lot of the Repubs' issue boils down to simple xenophobia, bigotry, and racism:

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 03, 2024 04:03PM
Well, I think the chances of undocumented immigrants voting in any significant numbers is about zero, honestly.

If you’re talking about folks that jump through the hoops to eventually become citizens, if they have a legal pathway toward it, then more power to them. That’s the history of this country.

But it’s also clear from history that the idea that such new citizens will vote in a lockstep bloc is also unlikely (unless they’ve been demonized by one side or the other, in which case it’s a bit of a self-fulfilling prophesy).
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 03, 2024 04:08PM
"Now the storyline is that the Dems WANT to 'import' these immigrants so they will vote Democratic."

This is an old one they keep recycling.

Trump brought this to a head in 2018 when he was trying to defend his horrible family separation policies.

[www.cnn.com]

"Democrats are the problem," he wrote. "They don't care about crime and want illegal immigrants, no matter how bad they may be, to pour into and infest our Country, like MS-13. They can't win on their terrible policies, so they view them as potential voters!" he wrote."

I see the GOP's hard shift to cruelty and irrationality on immigration as mostly about pleasing their cult leader, agreeing with whatever the Orange One supports.

Yes he tapped into existing racism and economic fear...but it's possible for good leaders to bring out our better angels.

Republicans in the time of Reagan, Poppy Bush, and W were not at all like this. They spoke of new immigrants with compassion and highlighted their important role in our economy and life together as a nation of immigrants.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 03, 2024 04:27PM
sekker
The message is evolving -

from just 'the borders are no longer secure' to 'this is intentional'.

Why?

Now the storyline is that the Dems WANT to 'import' these immigrants so they will vote Democratic.

Don't shoot the messenger here - just sharing as I am not sure the left bubble is hearing this storyline.

As written, it's logical and, because the Dems have not fought the 'news' cycles, it now seems reasonable.

Will at the very least lead more states to require proof of citizenship to vote.

Also gives the right cover for more voting rights abuses.

Again, please do not target me for sharing, or try to counter with 'this is not true.' What I am presenting is the current narrative, and it's only going to get worse in 2024 if the Dems do not find a political solution.

You need to tune to right-wing hate radio while you are silently cruising in your EV, just enjoying life. It’ll get your juices flowing. Biden is taking 10% from the coyotes marching the caravans across the border by the millions like nothing ever seen before except under Demonrat presidents.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: February 03, 2024 04:44PM
I find the anti-immigrant views and cruelty hard to watch sometimes.

But it's seemed to have turned ugly in the last few months.
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 03, 2024 09:15PM
I guess you can flip this around using the same type of thinking and say that Republicans are anti-abortion to increase the population of red states so that there are more republican voters.
Date: February 03, 2024 09:39PM
GGD
I guess you can flip this around using the same type of thinking and say that Republicans are anti-abortion to increase the population of red states so that there are more republican voters.

There is some truth that anti-abortion folk are worried about being 'replaced.'

Of course, I know my history well enough that some of these exact views were shared when the Irish were coming to the US - that they were going to 'dilute' what it meant to be an 'American.'
Posted by: kj
Date: February 04, 2024 12:38AM
What's funny about that is I think immigrants from the south are more likely to be conservative. There are lots of non-denominational churches (evangelical) in town that are heavily Latinx, and I'd be surprised if they vote Democrat.
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 04, 2024 07:27AM
kj
What's funny about that is I think immigrants from the south are more likely to be conservative. There are lots of non-denominational churches (evangelical) in town that are heavily Latinx, and I'd be surprised if they vote Democrat.

Thus my comment above about the idea that such new citizens will vote in a lockstep bloc is also unlikely.
Posted by: bfd
Date: February 04, 2024 05:01PM
GGD

Except for the fact that anti-vaxxer MAGAt conspiracy believing parents may doom their littles to a rather short life span.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 147
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020