advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Today’s (attempted) mass church shooting
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 12, 2024 02:45PM
This time it’s Joel Osteen’s Lakewood mega-church in Houston.

Genesse Ivonne Moreno entered the church with her 7-year-old son, and she may have pointed her weapon at a security officer to force her way into the church, police said.

Her son ended up getting shot in the head, probably by two off-duty police officers that fired back after Moreno starting shooting. Moreno was killed.

Why would someone do this? Well,

Police said the suspect has "a mental health history that is documented through us and through interviews with family." Police said she was put under an emergency detention order by Houston police in 2016.

She had a sticker on her AR-15 which said “Palestine”. But the service she attacked was a Spanish-language one. dunno smiley

Also,

Moreno has a number of arrests on her record, which investigators are reviewing, a law enforcement official said.

And

She also had with her a second gun: a .22-caliber rifle. The AR-15 was purchased legally, police said.

Well, of course it was. Why would anyone think it was a bad idea to sell an assault rifle to a mentally ill woman with a long arrest record?

I can’t imagine.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Today’s (attempted) mass church shooting
Posted by: Mr645
Date: February 12, 2024 02:51PM
The Lakewood Church shooter was also trans and the rifle said "Free Palestine" on it. Another crazed, violent leftist.

If she had a criminal history, she never would pass a background check

Glad there were good guys with guns to stop this mass shooting attempt.

"he is going to start WW3!!!!"
Date: February 12, 2024 03:02PM
Mr645
The Lakewood Church shooter was also trans and the rifle said "Free Palestine" on it. Another crazed, violent leftist.

The rifle sticker did not say “Free Palestine”. I think your side made that up. But I would think we ought not to sell assault rifles to any crazed people.

And trans? Don’t know about that. She was divorced from her husband and had a kid. If she was trans, wouldn’t the librul media call her “he/him”?

Okay, you explain how she got the gun. I’m just repeating what ABC News says.

Hey I’m fine with police officers having guns. If they have a good record, they can even conceal-carry them if they want, as far as I’m concerned.

Yahoos off the street, or crazy people? Them I’m not sure about arming.
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 12, 2024 03:11PM
What? An assault rifle was involved? I was told that only handguns are used in crimes.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 12, 2024 03:19PM
pdq
Mr645

The rifle sticker did not say “Free Palestine”. I think your side made that up. But I would think we ought not to sell assault rifles to any crazed people.

And trans? Don’t know about that. She was divorced from her husband and had a kid. If she was trans, wouldn’t the librul media call her “he/him”?

Hey I’m fine with police officers having guns. If they have a good record, they can even conceal-carry them if they want, as far as I’m concerned.

Especially if they are good shots and don’t blast a hole in a kid’s head.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 12, 2024 03:34PM
Mr645

According to CNN she had a long criminal history including weapons charges and assault. You do not need a background check to buy weapons in Texas, just go to a gun show or look online for a private sale.

She also used aliases,including a male name, to carry out crime. That does not mean anything about her sexuality.

Her ex-inlaws with whom she fought over custody of her child were Jewish and she hated them, showing antisemitic behavior online.

Nothing "leftist" about this very troubled lady.

It just should not have been so very easy for her to arm herself.

[www.cnn.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 12, 2024 03:41PM
She had a god given right to be armed which is why she was armed in a church. And nowhere did the Founding Fathers write that crazies couldn’t be armed otherwise most MAGAts couldn’t be gunners.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Janit
Date: February 12, 2024 07:35PM
The in-laws will be saying the Mi Shebeirach (prayer for healing) for the child. Perhaps those here might consider doing the same.
Date: February 12, 2024 08:37PM
pdq
Mr645

We can 100% agree here. A vast majority of police are well trained to safely carry. A vast majority of Americans are also peaceful, law abiding people
We need to do a better job keeping guns out of the hands of crazy people

Date: February 12, 2024 08:43PM
Acer
What? An assault rifle was involved? I was told that only handguns are used in crimes.

MAJORITY
1. the greater number.

In the case of semi automatic rifles vs hand guns, a vast majority of gun crime is committed with handguns. Do you understand the word vast?

And according to the FBI, there has not been a single murder done with an assault rifle in over 20 years.

Anti gunners try to call civilian rifles that cosmetically resemble real assault rifles "assault style" to confuse the issue

Date: February 12, 2024 09:36PM
Mr645
Acer

MAJORITY
1. the greater number.

In the case of semi automatic rifles vs hand guns, a vast majority of gun crime is committed with handguns. Do you understand the word vast?

And according to the FBI, there has not been a single murder done with an assault rifle in over 20 years.

Anti gunners try to call civilian rifles that cosmetically resemble real assault rifles "assault style" to confuse the issue

When that guy killed 60 Vegas festival goers and wounded another 413 in ten minutes, he didn't use a hand gun. He didn't use an assault rifle. What did he use?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2024 09:36PM by Acer.
Date: February 13, 2024 07:19AM
He wants to pretend that AR-15s are not assault rifles.

This woman had a long arrest record, and a long history of mental illness. Her neighbors had gone to the police with their concerns.

And yet, here she is with a “legally purchased” assault rifle. (Not that it matters - she still would have shot up the church with an illegally purchased or stolen assault rifle).

If we were all clairvoyant and knew with certainty which Law Abiding Responsible Gun Owner™ was about to pop a bolt and shoot up the church/synagogue/school/Walmart, and we didn’t have gun nuts opposing every common sense measure (like taking guns away from people like this), it wouldn’t be a problem.

But we don’t have those things, and so the carnage goes on and on, with a gun murder rate 10-20x that of peer nations.

We need fewer guns.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2024 07:56AM by pdq.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 13, 2024 07:20AM
pdq
And trans? Don’t know about that.

The job of the Firearms-Industrial-Complex is to saturate a certain segment of the media with lies before any facts come out. Then just *poof* disappear when all the lies are exposed as such.

It doesn't matter because the lies are believed by the poorly educated and the easily misled. As evidenced here.
Date: February 13, 2024 07:44AM
Yeah. “Free Palestine”? Nope.

She couldn’t have had a criminal record, or she couldn’t have purchased the gun. Uh, yeah, she did (and she did).

She was a trans, crazed lib. Well, seems unlikely - it appears at this point there is no evidence for this, but I guess we’ll see if something turns up. The Daily Signal wants to know if there was testosterone in her blood. (Not kidding).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2024 07:45AM by pdq.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 13, 2024 09:39AM
Janit
The in-laws will be saying the Mi Shebeirach (prayer for healing) for the child. Perhaps those here might consider doing the same.

Yes.
The child remains in the hospital in critical condition.

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday. A day for penance. I will pray for this child and all child victims of gun violence. I will ask for forgiveness for not doing enough yet to address this crisis.

The relatives of this particular little boy fought for years to help his mother and to protect him.

They knew for many years that she suffered from a form of schizophrenia that includes violent behavior.

Texas has no red flag law, and this is exactly what they are for. They also have a very weak child protection system.

Sadly, this can be said of most states.

God forgive us and grant us strength to right these wrongs.
Date: February 13, 2024 10:32AM
Acer
Mr645
Acer

MAJORITY
1. the greater number.

When that guy killed 60 Vegas festival goers and wounded another 413 in ten minutes, he didn't use a hand gun. He didn't use an assault rifle. What did he use?

The Vegas killer had a large number of semi automatic rifles, some equips with modifications that allowed the civilian rifles to fire at close to automatic military rifle speeds. In respons Trump signed an executive order outlawing devices that allow semi automatic rifles to fire faster than designed. Since then, under Biden, Trumps executive order was reversed and such devices are legal again

Date: February 13, 2024 10:39AM
pdq
He wants to pretend that AR-15s are not assault rifles.

This woman had a long arrest record, and a long history of mental illness. Her neighbors had gone to the police with their concerns.

And yet, here she is with a “legally purchased” assault rifle. (Not that it matters - she still would have shot up the church with an illegally purchased or stolen assault rifle).

If we were all clairvoyant and knew with certainty which Law Abiding Responsible Gun Owner™ was about to pop a bolt and shoot up the church/synagogue/school/Walmart, and we didn’t have gun nuts opposing every common sense measure (like taking guns away from people like this), it wouldn’t be a problem.

But we don’t have those things, and so the carnage goes on and on, with a gun murder rate 10-20x that of peer nations.

We need fewer guns.

How this person legally purchased a firearm as a criminal is a problem. Perhaps she used the same technique Hunter Biden used to illegally buy a firearm.

It would be great if we had a way to figure out wh is going to commit crimes before they do.
[www.imdb.com]
Are you suggesting we take away people rights before committing crimes? Taking away the rights of law abiding citizens?
Take away the ability to drive just in case someone may get drunk and drive and kill someone? We just had a drunk driver kill 4 innocent people by driving the wrong way on a road and hit a car head on. The drunk driver survived.

Date: February 13, 2024 10:43AM
pdq
Yeah. “Free Palestine”? Nope.

She couldn’t have had a criminal record, or she couldn’t have purchased the gun. Uh, yeah, she did (and she did).

She was a trans, crazed lib. Well, seems unlikely - it appears at this point there is no evidence for this, but I guess we’ll see if something turns up. The Daily Signal wants to know if there was testosterone in her blood. (Not kidding).

Correction
"The shooter used a legally purchased AR-15 with a “Palestine” sticker on it, police said. A federal law enforcement source previously told CNN “Free Palestine” was written on the gun."

Date: February 13, 2024 10:44AM
Mr645
Acer
Mr645
Acer

MAJORITY
1. the greater number.

The Vegas killer had a large number of semi automatic rifles, some equips with modifications that allowed the civilian rifles to fire at close to automatic military rifle speeds. In respons Trump signed an executive order outlawing devices that allow semi automatic rifles to fire faster than designed. Since then, under Biden, Trumps executive order was reversed and such devices are legal again

This would be the bump stock ban, I presume.
It was not an executive order, it was a regulation. Trump's role: "President Trump signed a memorandum instructing the attorney general to regulate the use of bump stocks, effectively banning the use of the devices that can allow rifles to mimic automatic weapons." If we're going to parse definitions, then let's parse, baby.[www.usatoday.com] and [www.npr.org]
It was not reversed per se, it was blocked* by the courts. (Again, parse, etc.) [www.npr.org]
Who sued to nullify it? "Gun rights advocates have challenged it in multiple courts."

Edit:
* kinda. Per pdq's post below, the block doesn't actually lift the ban. Whatever.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2024 12:57PM by Acer.
Date: February 13, 2024 11:33AM
Acer
Mr645
Acer
Mr645
Acer

MAJORITY
1. the greater number.

It was not an executive order, it was a regulation. Trump's role: "President Trump signed a memorandum instructing the attorney general to regulate the use of bump stocks, effectively banning the use of the devices that can allow rifles to mimic automatic weapons." If we're going to parse definitions, then let's parse, baby.[www.usatoday.com] and [www.npr.org]
It was not reversed per se, it was blocked by the courts. (Again, parse, etc.) [www.npr.org]
Who sued to nullify it? "Gun rights advocates have challenged it in multiple courts."

Trump banned devices that allowed civilian rifles to mimic military rates of fire, and Biden failed to maintained it.

Results matter.

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: February 13, 2024 12:01PM
Mr645
Acer
Mr645
Acer
Mr645
Acer

MAJORITY
1. the greater number.

It was not reversed per se, it was blocked by the courts. (Again, parse, etc.) [www.npr.org]

Trump banned devices that allowed civilian rifles to mimic military rates of fire, and Biden failed to maintained it.

Results matter.

It’s like you can’t comprehend what people have just said to you!

Date: February 13, 2024 12:28PM
Mr645

Mr645

False and false (I know, shocker! But facts also matter.)

Modern bump stocks were invented by Slide Fire Solutions founder Jeremiah Cottle as a replacement stock for people who have limited hand mobility...Between 2008 and 2017, the ATF issued ten letter rulings that classified bump stocks as a "firearm part", which are unregulated.

2017? Huh. Who was president then?

After the 2017 Las Vegas shooting, Senator Feinstein introduced a bill to ban bump stocks nationwide, which was opposed by the usual suspects and went nowhere in a Republican-controlled congress. Then,

...in March 2018, as a result of the use of bump stocks in the 2017 Las Vegas shooting, the U.S. Department of Justice announced a plan to reclassify bump stocks as "machine guns" under existing federal law, effectively banning them nationwide.

Good for them! But Trump's go-it-alone executive-order approach was (of course) legally assailed by several gunner groups, and in 2023, subsequently found unconstitutional by a very "conservative" 5th circuit in Louisiana in a case brought by a Texas gunner. They argued that the law was ambiguous (though having previously been found valid and constitutional by several other federal courts).

Most of the majority ...agreed that if the law is ambiguous, it’s up to Congress to address the issue...

Well, Dems had tried.

Fortunately,

The decision doesn’t have an immediate effect on the ban though because the case now moves back to the lower court to decide how to proceed.

Also,

On May 20, 2018, 95 days after the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, Slide Fire Solutions [the inventor, patent holder, and leading manufacturer of bump stocks] permanently halted sales and production of its products.

It's not clear, but some stories suggest that residents in Texas, Louisiana and nearby nutty states may be able to buy one, if they can find one. However, it appears that until the Supremes announce their decision, bump stocks are banned nationally.

BTW, the Biden administration promptly appealed the 5th circuit's decision to the (Trump-packed) SCOTUS and the case will be decided in 2024.

So therefore, it's all Biden's fault.

dunno smiley
Date: February 13, 2024 04:07PM
Glock versions, called Switches to the locals, are all over the place in Chicago. Ordering them from China

[gunswitch.org]

Liberal America, we need someone that understands that no one has a gun that holds 100 rounds in the chamber

Date: February 13, 2024 07:26PM
Mr645

Liberal America, we need someone that understands that no one has a gun that holds 100 rounds in the chamber

A chamber only holds one bullet, silly rabbit.

But you can put a hundred rounds into a just a few high-capacity magazines...
Date: February 14, 2024 06:06AM
pdq
Mr645

A chamber only holds one bullet, silly rabbit.

But you can put a hundred rounds into a just a few high-capacity magazines...

Or ten 10 rounds magazines

Date: February 14, 2024 08:31AM
Gish gallop in progress.
Post 1: Mentally unstable person is able to purchase a gun.
Post 25: Parsing magazine capacity
Date: February 14, 2024 09:17AM
Until we start addressing gun violence with facts and not making it a political point, nothing will change

Date: February 14, 2024 09:28AM
Facts are, America has (by far) the largest number of guns, and guns per capita among developed nation peers, and (entirely coincidentally, I’m sure) by far (like 10-20x) the greatest rate of gun deaths among those same countries.

Those are the facts. And we can actually do something about this…while the other side makes wishes about better mental health, and complains about kids these days, all the while fondling their deadly toys and awaiting their turn to use them.
Date: February 14, 2024 04:28PM
pdq
Facts are, America has (by far) the largest number of guns, and guns per capita among developed nation peers, and (entirely coincidentally, I’m sure) by far (like 10-20x) the greatest rate of gun deaths among those same countries.

Those are the facts. And we can actually do something about this…while the other side makes wishes about better mental health, and complains about kids these days, all the while fondling their deadly toys and awaiting their turn to use them.

As far as firearms deaths per capita, the USA is not even in the top 20 of nations. If we eliminate 6 inner city hot spots, the USA becomes one of the safest (top 20) nations for gun deaths.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: February 14, 2024 06:13PM
Mr645
pdq

As far as firearms deaths per capita, the USA is not even in the top 20 of nations. If we eliminate 6 inner city hot spots, the USA becomes one of the safest (top 20) nations for gun deaths.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Your intentional ignoring of pdq's central point is transparently obvious!

2020 data (from your own link):

- U.S. #21 - 4.05/100,000
- Canada #34 - 0.73/100,000
- Sweden #36 - 0.46/100,000
- Italy #46 - 0.17/100,000
- Netherlands #47 - 1.15/100,000
- Austria #49 - 0.13/100,000
- Switzerland #52 - 0.10/100,000
- Australia #53 - 0.08/100,000
- Spain #54 - 0.08/100,000
- Germany #57 - 0.06/100,000
- Denmark #73
- New Zealand #74
- Finland #75
- France #77
- Japan #88
-South Korea #98
Date: February 14, 2024 07:56PM
Interesting how all of those nations above us on the list are Western Hemisphere. In 2020, you have to go all the way down to slot #32 to get Albania. Hmmmmm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2024 07:58PM by Acer.
Date: February 15, 2024 06:26AM
So nations such as Mexico, Brazil, all the others are not developed?

What makes a nation a developed nation, or a peer nation?

Date: February 15, 2024 07:36AM
Mr645

“We won with poorly educated…" "I love the poorly educated!"

peer noun
- one that is of equal standing with another

Human Development Index
[en.m.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: kj
Date: February 17, 2024 05:53PM
Mr645

I'm with you on this particular stat. It is just cherry picking.

"peer noun
- one that is of equal standing with another"

The dictionary is full of circular definitions, because it's a dictionary. What exactly makes the U.S. a peer of Norway? In what way are we "equal". I honestly don't know, but I bet it isn't super straight forward because we aren't equal in every way except gun related stuff.
Date: February 17, 2024 07:32PM
Take Norway, the UK, the US, Australia, and El Salvador.

One of these countries is not like the others.
Date: February 18, 2024 07:43AM
kj
Mr645

I'm with you on this particular stat. It is just cherry picking.

"peer noun
- one that is of equal standing with another"

The dictionary is full of circular definitions, because it's a dictionary. What exactly makes the U.S. a peer of Norway? In what way are we "equal". I honestly don't know, but I bet it isn't super straight forward because we aren't equal in every way except gun related stuff.

Seems you didn’t look at the link.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 167
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020