advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Here’s why former GA gov (D) Roy Barnes turned down lead prosecutor job offer from Willis
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 17, 2024 07:11AM
Direct quotes (with clarifying additions from me in [ ]) from Barnes in yesterday’s testimony:

[In 2021] she asked me, said they were beginning this investigation, and she asked me if I’d be interested in being special prosecutor.

To which I replied that I had mouths to feed at a law office and, that I could not, I would not do that.

So much for the idea that this job was some kind of a financial windfall.

And also, I just had a bad, but, well, say bad because it happens from time to time, but I just had the FBI to report, a fellow, a militia trainer, to me that said they [the FBI] were concerned [about], that [the militia trainer] was making threats against me.

And because I was, I thought it was because of the [Confederate] flag [which Barnes had helped get rid of in Georgia]. But I asked [the FBI agent] and he said no, it was because I was “too close to the Jews,” quote unquote.

And, I told D.A. Willis I didn’t — I have lived with bodyguards for four years, and I didn’t like it. And I wasn’t going to live with bodyguards for the rest of my life.

He was just one of the lawyers that turned Willis’ proffered job down. There were real risks in saying yes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2024 07:48AM by pdq.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Here’s why former GA gov (D) Roy Barnes turned down lead prosecutor job offer from Willis
Posted by: Numo
Date: February 17, 2024 10:21AM
Things are going just as Trump hoped they would.
Re: Here’s why former GA gov (D) Roy Barnes turned down lead prosecutor job offer from Willis
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 17, 2024 01:49PM
You be on it pdq.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: February 17, 2024 02:57PM
"So much for the idea that this job was some kind of a financial windfall."

It was very much a windfall for Nathan Wade, who is a friend of Barnes.

Barnes was referring to the fee income he generates at his own law firm, which benefits the people who work there.

Gov. Barnes didn't need the income from the Fulton County work, but Nathan Wade sure did.

Wade's own firm fell apart, with sexual harassment payouts to at least one employee.

Fani Willis wanted a big name to bring prestige to her case. But she hired her friend Nathan Wade instead.
Date: February 17, 2024 03:03PM
Evidence is still to come, but if the judge accepts that Willis repaid Wade thousands of dollars in cash for 4-5 luxury trips with no paper trail, I think she will be cleared of the conflict of interest.

However, there is so much appearance of impropriety that it's hard to see how she seats a jury not influenced by her conduct revealed in this hearing.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 17, 2024 04:30PM
Lemon Drop
Evidence is still to come, but if the judge accepts that Willis repaid Wade thousands of dollars in cash for 4-5 luxury trips with no paper trail, I think she will be cleared of the conflict of interest.

Think is, I can accept Willis repaying in cash given the upbringing she states. However, if Wade were me the money would have been put in the bank. There's nothing in my life I would spend thousands of dollars on in ready cash on. Probably says more about my diminished lifestyle compared to a lawyers but still.

That being said, none of this has any bearing on the facts of the actual case before the court.

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: February 17, 2024 05:10PM
graylocks
Lemon Drop

Think is, I can accept Willis repaying in cash given the upbringing she states. However, if Wade were me the money would have been put in the bank. There's nothing in my life I would spend thousands of dollars on in ready cash on. Probably says more about my diminished lifestyle compared to a lawyers but still.

That being said, none of this has any bearing on the facts of the actual case before the court.

I don't doubt her on that. It is easy to blow through a lot of cash on fancy vacations, and obviously neither of them expected to have to account for this spending. I think it's sweet that he took his Mom and sisters on these trips too.

It's just a very weird hearing.

Trump and the co-defendents in the RICO case are definitely still on the hook. She already has multiple guilty pleas.

But the prosecutor holds the cards, and if that is not Fani Willis it could spell trouble, including the cases being dropped.
Posted by: kj
Date: February 17, 2024 05:38PM
pdq
Direct quotes (with clarifying additions from me in [ ]) from Barnes in yesterday’s testimony:

[In 2021] she asked me, said they were beginning this investigation, and she asked me if I’d be interested in being special prosecutor.

To which I replied that I had mouths to feed at a law office and, that I could not, I would not do that.

So much for the idea that this job was some kind of a financial windfall.

And also, I just had a bad, but, well, say bad because it happens from time to time, but I just had the FBI to report, a fellow, a militia trainer, to me that said they [the FBI] were concerned [about], that [the militia trainer] was making threats against me.

And because I was, I thought it was because of the [Confederate] flag [which Barnes had helped get rid of in Georgia]. But I asked [the FBI agent] and he said no, it was because I was “too close to the Jews,” quote unquote.

And, I told D.A. Willis I didn’t — I have lived with bodyguards for four years, and I didn’t like it. And I wasn’t going to live with bodyguards for the rest of my life.

He was just one of the lawyers that turned Willis’ proffered job down. There were real risks in saying yes.

She did not have to hire Wade, and everyone knows why she did. Rationalizing is hard to resist, but not helpful.
Date: February 17, 2024 06:46PM
Everyone seems to think it was the easiest thing in the world to find someone to sign on to this job, which as I’ve said previously, was risky. This is an illustration of that.

And if this were such a financial windfall, why wouldn’t these other people do it? Because it wasn’t worth the danger and hassle they knew they’d be in for, for a very average (or sub-average) reimbursement.

But no, she hired Wade because she wanted someone to pay for a Caribbean cruise? Come on. That’s what the defendant’s lawyers desperately want you (and the judge) to believe.

Don’t fall for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2024 06:58PM by pdq.
Date: February 17, 2024 07:14PM
The issue under review is the money for the trips. If she didn't reimburse him it's a conflict of interest.

There are over 1,000 lawyers in Fulton County, and Fani Willis knows hundreds of them through her work. It is her job to know them. Georgia has over 33k lawyers. This idea that she had no options other than Wade, after a former governor said no, is just crazy and factually wrong.
Date: February 17, 2024 07:28PM
And why is someone she knew well, who had mentored her, and who she obviously respected the wrong choice?

Again, the legal question is whether there is a conflict of interest causing some harm to the defendants, or the people of Georgia?

The latter is a real stretch. There is no evidence at all for the former.
Posted by: Spock
Date: February 17, 2024 08:12PM
Was it not Wade who presented the evidence to the grand jury and got the indictment, suggesting at the very least that he is more than just a competent trial attorney.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: February 17, 2024 08:19PM
pdq
Everyone seems to think it was the easiest thing in the world to find someone to sign on to this job, which as I’ve said previously, was risky. This is an illustration of that.

And if this were such a financial windfall, why wouldn’t these other people do it? Because it wasn’t worth the danger and hassle they knew they’d be in for, for a very average (or sub-average) reimbursement.

But no, she hired Wade because she wanted someone to pay for a Caribbean cruise? Come on. That’s what the defendant’s lawyers desperately want you (and the judge) to believe.

Don’t fall for it.

Wade and his firm have been paid over $650,000 in relation to this case.

Newly-obtained public records from Fulton County suggest Wade was paid hundreds of thousands of dollars more than the other special prosecutors on the case.

Those records indicate the DA’s office paid special prosecutor John Floyd's law firm Bondurant, Mixson & Elmore close to $73,000 between 2022 and 2023.

Special Prosecutor Anna Cross's law firms — Cross Kincaid and The Cross Firm LLC — were paid a total of roughly $90,000 during the same years, records show.

Over the same time period, Fulton County records show the DA’s office paid The Law Offices of Nathan J. Wade approximately $653,880.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 17, 2024 09:06PM
Blankity Blank

Newly-obtained public records from Fulton County suggest Wade was paid hundreds of thousands of dollars more than the other special prosecutors on the case.

Those records indicate the DA’s office paid special prosecutor John Floyd's law firm Bondurant, Mixson & Elmore close to $73,000 between 2022 and 2023.

Special Prosecutor Anna Cross's law firms — Cross Kincaid and The Cross Firm LLC — were paid a total of roughly $90,000 during the same years, records show.

Over the same time period, Fulton County records show the DA’s office paid The Law Offices of Nathan J. Wade approximately $653,880.

and where is the record of how much work each of those firms were responsible for?

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 17, 2024 09:25PM
The thing that is bugging me is when people say, well a couple of lawyers turned her down, so she hired her boyfriend. Because it's a well-known fact that Atlanta and environs has only about a half-dozen good lawyers she could have contacted. rolleyes smiley

Posted by: vision63
Date: February 17, 2024 09:57PM
I don't give a @#$%& about any of that. Can't go back and change anything. Now what? Throw ya hands in the air? Just keep going and stop fretting. Nobody is perfect no matter what. Still have a job to do. Keep whackin' dem Moles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2024 09:58PM by vision63.
Date: February 18, 2024 07:38AM
graylocks
Blankity Blank

and where is the record of how much work each of those firms were responsible for?

The question being dangled is about who got the plum and why, as it is about the plum being the size of a pumpkin.
Date: February 18, 2024 08:30AM
graylocks
Blankity Blank

They all bill by the hour. Work more hours on the case (like leading the prosecution through the entire grand jury), get paid more. He’s been working on the case (and probably only on this case) since 2021 - going on three years. Billing to, and payments from the DAs office, as I understand it, are subject to review by other GA state agents.

How much do you think Alina Habba charged Trump for her stellar defense work in the E. Jean Carrol case? Google doesn’t seem to know, or indicate that any reporter ever asked. We do know that Trump’s paid $27 million just out of campaign funds (requiring disclosures), for legal bills in just the last 6 months.

Lawyers are expensive.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: February 18, 2024 04:07PM
Here is what doesn't make sense to me.

Suppose that Wade and Willis have some sort of relationship that isn't entirely appropriate, and that this means that the people of Georgia are paying money to Wade which should have more appropriately been paid to some other worthy attorney. That's what the "conflict of interest" term means to me. But the obligate conclusion is that the conflict of interest diminishes the ability of the prosecution to put on its best possible case. The argument would seem to be that for the same six hundred thousand dollars, the people of Georgia could have mounted a better prosecution case so far.

This is pretty weak on its face -- they got the indictment, and the case is scheduled for trial. Having the indictment thrown out or never getting it would be the worst result of hiring an incompetent attorney.

So what damage is done to the defendants by the hiring of Wade? There does not seem to be any. The only conceivable damage would be if Wade is induced to commit some unethical prosecutorial act, such as suborning perjury or introducing false evidence knowingly -- and this is something that is not dependent on his relationship with Willis. In fact, prosecutorial misconduct is more typical of prosecutors who are running for reelection. Wade might have an incentive to push the bounds in order to get a guilty verdict, but that is apart from his having had a romantic relationship with Willis.

So why did the judge invite the hearing we just had? One possibility -- in fact the likely possibility -- is that the judge is trying to make any possible guilty verdict more bulletproof. The prosecution and the judge have motive to hold a trial in which the verdict will stand up to appellate scrutiny. That's why judges give latitude to defense motions and cross examination. It allows the appellate court to find that the defense was afforded every opportunity to make its case.
Date: February 18, 2024 05:50PM
Well put, and self-explanatory.

Willis and Wade got Trump + 18 others (rightly, I think) indicted in a challenging, historical case. I can’t even find the total number of indictments, but the grand jury actually recommended indicting 21 more, including “three Senators and a former senior White House official” that Willis decided not to indict. Four defendants have already pled guilty.

Frankly, Willis (and Wade) have kicked ass, far more than, say Merrick Garland or Jack Smith (at this point). But she’s not totally celibate, so we should toss all the cases.

I know, a little overstated, but not that much. Tell me how her private life is relevant in this case. Show me the conflict of interest in regards to the outcome of the case.
Date: February 18, 2024 07:32PM
"Suppose that Wade and Willis have some sort of relationship that isn't entirely appropriate, and that this means that the people of Georgia are paying money to Wade which should have more appropriately been paid to some other worthy attorney. That's what the "conflict of interest" term means to me."

That is not the primary or only conflict of interest under investigation in the current hearing.

What they are looking at is whether Fani Willis financially benefitted from hiring and giving substantial county legal work to Wade. The accusation is that he paid for multiple lavish trips for her, using money he earned from Fulton County. She says she repaid him in cash but has no record. And neither does he.

They are also looking at whether the two of them were honest about the timeline of their relationship, specifically were they already a romantic couple when she hired him.

That they got indictments isn't part of the equation here. The only reason we are here is because the indicted defendents obtained dirt on the DA. And unfortunately they have a right to dig that up.

Maybe this will help: if Wade had been the husband of Fani Willis, it would have been completely unethical for her to hire him, no matter how great of an attorney he may be. Because it's a conflict of interest.
How is it different if he is her boyfriend? Who takes her on lavish trips? And she has no record to prove she paid him back?

It's unethical. She is diminished professionally, no matter the outcome of this hearing. And I'm saying this as someone who has been and remains a big fan of Fani Willis.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 18, 2024 09:38PM
“Maybe this will help: if Wade had been the husband of Fani Willis, it would have been completely unethical for her to hire him, no matter how great of an attorney he may be. Because it's a conflict of interest.”

Apparently this would not be a conflict in Georgia.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: February 19, 2024 02:07AM
Lemon Drop
"Suppose that Wade and Willis have some sort of relationship that isn't entirely appropriate, and that this means that the people of Georgia are paying money to Wade which should have more appropriately been paid to some other worthy attorney. That's what the "conflict of interest" term means to me."

That is not the primary or only conflict of interest under investigation in the current hearing.

What they are looking at is whether Fani Willis financially benefitted from hiring and giving substantial county legal work to Wade. The accusation is that he paid for multiple lavish trips for her, using money he earned from Fulton County. She says she repaid him in cash but has no record. And neither does he.

They are also looking at whether the two of them were honest about the timeline of their relationship, specifically were they already a romantic couple when she hired him.

That they got indictments isn't part of the equation here. The only reason we are here is because the indicted defendents obtained dirt on the DA. And unfortunately they have a right to dig that up.

Maybe this will help: if Wade had been the husband of Fani Willis, it would have been completely unethical for her to hire him, no matter how great of an attorney he may be. Because it's a conflict of interest.
How is it different if he is her boyfriend? Who takes her on lavish trips? And she has no record to prove she paid him back?

It's unethical. She is diminished professionally, no matter the outcome of this hearing. And I'm saying this as someone who has been and remains a big fan of Fani Willis.

You have summarized the facts very nicely. My question is, I think, a little different: What does any of this have to do with whether or not the defendants are getting a fair trial? I think that the following is the operant principle: The prosecutor's personal motives are irrelevant. What is at issue is whether the prosecutor is presenting facts or lies, and whether the prosecutor is trying to slip prejudicial material into the trial, and whether any fact or piece of evidence has to be excluded due to the rules of evidence or because it was found through an illegal search.

Nothing in the personal lives of the prosecutors fits into these questions. There may be some reason for the bar association to want to discipline one or both of the players, but that question is irrelevant to the right of the state of Georgia to carry on these prosecutions.

What's really going on here is an attempt by the defense to prejudice potential jurors.
Date: February 19, 2024 07:11AM
Speedy
“Maybe this will help: if Wade had been the husband of Fani Willis, it would have been completely unethical for her to hire him, no matter how great of an attorney he may be. Because it's a conflict of interest.”

It is covered under conflict of interest and other rules instead of nepotism law.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 19, 2024 07:31AM
Speedy

Since they are both working for the prosecution and he's a qualified attorney, there's no conflict in the case. Use your own example. Ask yourself whether it's inappropriate for a husband and wife to work together as a team on a case.

The main ethical issue is whether it was appropriate for them to have an affair when one was in the employ of the other because it implies an imbalance of power where one may have exerted undue pressure on the other to enter into or remain in the relationship.

These things are often dealt with by informing HR and signing agreements that they will report inappropriate behavior.

Where there is evidence of impropriety, the state bar may act. Note that without evidence that it compromised the quality of service they provided to one or more clients, the punishment for this sort of thing would probably be a sternly-worded letter.

Date: February 19, 2024 08:24AM
Tiangou

Since they are both working for the prosecution and he's a qualified attorney, there's no conflict in the case. Use your own example. Ask yourself whether it's inappropriate for a husband and wife to work together as a team on a case.

Apparently not: the lawyers (Ashleigh Merchant and Jonathan Merchant) representing the defendant that’s raising this stink (Michael Roman), are married. Are they double-dipping? Have they gone on “luxurious” vacations together? What do they do in their private lives?

As it turns out (per this Daily Beast piece):

Georgia law says that lawyers who are married to each other cannot be disqualified, even if they are on opposing sides of a case. As one Georgia court put it: “[w]hile we cannot disagree with the proposition that the marital relationship may be the most intimate relationship of a person’s life, it does not follow that professional people allow this intimacy to interfere with professional obligations.”

Now, Willis and Wade are not married, nor are they employed by a private individual, but rather by Fulton County. Not quite the same thing. But if you think these two particular professional people would allow this intimacy to interfere with professional obligations, you might ask yourself why you think that.
Date: February 19, 2024 10:23AM
It's comparable to the old saw: it's not the crime, it's the coverup. Yes, I know there is no crime, I'm making an analogy.

1. DO be honest and transparent about the fact that there is a relationship.
2. DON'T pay the person back with cash and with no record of it.

There. Same situation, totally different outcome. Then you do not appear to be doing anything wrong. Instead they chose to act like they were doing something wrong. And thus the question became, why did you act like you were doing something wrong if you were not? So simple, surely two people with law degrees should have been able to foresee it.

Date: February 19, 2024 11:37AM
Without taking the underlying flimflammery of the specifics of this case seriously, in theory I can see a reasonable argument that any factors that might lead to a party involved at a high level in the proceedings to have any interest other than a professional and uncompromised interest in addressing the legal issues at hand, requires scrutiny.

In theory that might include choosing a team based on anything other than best available fit, leaning towards on approaches or strategies that might be as much about running up billable hours as resolution of the facts, etc.

Again, strictly in theory, not to say those concerns perfectly overlay this situation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2024 11:39AM by Blankity Blank.
Date: February 19, 2024 03:58PM
"Apparently not: the lawyers (Ashleigh Merchant and Jonathan Merchant) representing the defendant that’s raising this stink (Michael Roman), are married. Are they double-dipping? Have they gone on “luxurious” vacations together? What do they do in their private lives?"

Wut??

They are law partners. They are not paid with public money. Neither is a public official. If you want, you can privately hire any combo of related attorneys you want.

This has ZERO to do with the Willis Wade case.
Date: February 19, 2024 06:56PM
Tiangou asked: “whether it's inappropriate for a husband and wife to work together as a team on a case.

And I answered, delivering an example from this case.
Date: February 19, 2024 07:27PM
pdq
Tiangou asked: “whether it's inappropriate for a husband and wife to work together as a team on a case.

And I answered, delivering an example from this case.

Here's the full quote
"Since they are both working for the prosecution and he's a qualified attorney, there's no conflict in the case. Use your own example. Ask yourself whether it's inappropriate for a husband and wife to work together as a team on a case."

It refers to a prosecution team, which means publicly funded employees of or contractors for the government.

I have no idea what is meant by " there is no conflict" because all sorts of things can create conflicts in that scenario. Like hiring your boyfriend and then financially benefitting from the income he earns from that work you gave him
. And having no proof you didn't benefit. Risky business!!

Let's hope they skate by.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 19, 2024 07:41PM
Lemon Drop
I have no idea what is meant by " there is no conflict" because all sorts of things can create conflicts in that scenario. Like hiring your boyfriend and then financially benefitting from the income he earns from that work you gave him

There's no ethical conflict for an attorney in that scenario, so long as the boyfriend was qualified and you didn't compromise the quality of legal service provided by hiring him.

...Of COURSE you'd benefit financially from a successful case. Do you think attorneys work for free?

Date: February 19, 2024 10:49PM
"Benefit" refers to the boyfriend being able to take her on luxury vacations with the money he wouldn't have had if he wasn't hired for that job.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2024 10:49PM by $tevie.
Date: February 20, 2024 07:20AM
Can we stop with parroting the “luxury” vacations thing that Roman’s attorneys are desperately pushing? Flying to Paris for the weekend and staying at a place overlooking the Eiffel Tower is a luxury vacation. Sailing on a private yacht to a private island is a luxury vacation.

Flying to Fort Lauderdale (from Atlanta!) with your possible future husband’s mother in tow and going on a Caribbean cruise is not a “luxury” vacation in my book. Literally millions of average Americans do that every year (minus their boyfriend’s mom), and we’re talking about two lawyers making a little sub-average, but decent, successful-lawyers income.

Wade and Willis went elsewhere too; both say that Willis insisted on paying for some of these trips; it was, they say, a point of contention between them that Willis, a strong and independent woman, would not allow Wade to cover some trips. But regardless, travelling to the Caribbean area from the southeastern US via regular commercial means is not exactly lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.
Date: February 20, 2024 08:18AM
Tiangou
Lemon Drop

There's no ethical conflict for an attorney in that scenario, so long as the boyfriend was qualified and you didn't compromise the quality of legal service provided by hiring him.

...Of COURSE you'd benefit financially from a successful case. Do you think attorneys work for free?

I'm growing weary.

It is Fani Willis under review here. Did SHE benefit financially from hiring her boyfriend? Which contrary to what you wrote, is an ethical violation in the Fulton County DA office and elsewhere.
Date: February 20, 2024 08:23AM
Pdq, I doubt the judge cares if the trips could objectively be called "luxury, " and you are mischaracterizing their adventures. They included side trips alone to Aruba, leaving Mama on the Love Boat, and a wine tasting trip to Napa. On the stand Fani Willis described these trips as expensive and fancy, and she earns $200k as DA.
Date: February 20, 2024 08:34AM
Lemon Drop
On the stand Fani Willis described these trips as expensive and fancy, and she earns $200k as DA.

…which is hardly impoverished (though less than she could (and will, eventually) make in the private sector (if she wishes)). She’s quite able to pay for some of the vacations with Wade, and she said she did.

I have not seen where Willis described these trips as expensive and fancy, although that doesn’t mean she didn’t. Do you have a link?
Date: February 20, 2024 12:25PM
Oh, for Christ's sake. Stop bending over backward to try to make it sound like Willis is some dumb broad who doesn't understand how the real life works. Which is what y'all are doing. Poor, poor lawyer lady who doesn't know that perception can get you hung.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2024 12:28PM by $tevie.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 183
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020