advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Racial police shootings..A Harvard study
Posted by: Mr645
Date: February 19, 2024 03:21PM
"On the most extreme use of force – officer-involved shootings – we find no racial differences in either the raw data or when contextual factors are taken into account."

[scholar.harvard.edu]

"he is going to start WW3!!!!"
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Racial police shootings..A Harvard study
Posted by: August West
Date: February 19, 2024 04:54PM
A cherry-picked sentence taken out of context.

“Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it."

Posted by: bfd
Date: February 19, 2024 05:16PM

Another fine 645 contribution

Dump and run.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 19, 2024 05:22PM
Mr645
"On the most extreme use of force – officer-involved shootings – we find no racial differences in either the raw data or when contextual factors are taken into account."

[scholar.harvard.edu]

I guess he expects that nobody will actually read it??

Probably because most of his links are to total BS ultra right-wing fascist propaganda that we'd all be better off ignoring.

Abstract

This paper explores racial differences in police use of force. On non-lethal uses of force, blacks and Hispanics are more than fifty percent more likely to experience some form of force in interactions with police. Adding controls that account for important context and civilian behavior reduces, but cannot fully explain, these disparities. On the most extreme use of force – officer-involved shootings – we find no racial differences in either the raw data or when contextual factors are taken into account. We argue that the patterns in the data are consistent with a model in which police officers are utility maximizers, a fraction of which have a preference for discrimination, who incur relatively high expected costs of officer-involved shootings.

Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: February 19, 2024 08:52PM
It seems to me that intelligent Trump supporters have a disconnect between the logical and emotional sides of the brain. No amount of logic, facts, or evidence will change their points of view. It’s better to just not engage. I fail at that quite frequently, myself.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 19, 2024 09:32PM
S. Pupp
It seems to me that intelligent Trump supporters have a disconnect between the logical and emotional sides of the brain. No amount of logic, facts, or evidence will change their points of view. It’s better to just not engage. I fail at that quite frequently, myself.

AGREED!
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: February 20, 2024 02:09AM
S. Pupp

You can download for free: Bob Altimeyer's book Right Wing Authoritarianism

[archive.org]

Altimeyer spent a career investigating the different ways that the authoritarians think, including the ability to compartmentalize conflicting ideas so as to accept them all.
Posted by: August West
Date: February 20, 2024 07:02AM

You can download for free: Bob Altimeyer's book Right Wing Authoritarianism

Thanks for the link! thumbs up

“Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it."

Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: February 20, 2024 05:15PM
"Authoritarianism entails an emphasis on three core values that are offered as a solution to the aroused sense of threat. Specifically, it values:

- The importance of security versus instability (often seen as the impact of foreigners and immigrants).

- Conformity to preserve traditions and the idealized past (a time perceived as being peaceful.

- The need for loyal obedience to strong leaders who will protect the group. It also rests on the security achieved by having the “right” group in leadership."

Sound familiar?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 180
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020