Here're some of my favorites, all of which offer free daily newslists:
[www.legitgov.org]

[www.informationclearinghouse.info]

[www.smirkingchimp.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What are your favorite news sites?
Posted by: Effin Haole
Date: February 16, 2006 06:37PM
My only news source is the OWC forum, of course.
Posted by: hal
Date: February 16, 2006 07:31PM
Those aren't 'news' sites. Unless you cosider stuff like rushlimbaugh.com to be news sites...
Posted by: Refurbvirgin
Date: February 16, 2006 08:13PM
hal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those aren't 'news' sites. Unless you cosider
> stuff like rushlimbaugh.com to be news sites...

If you click on the first link, CLG, the very first article ("Scientists muzzled for Bush election campaign") is from the the Sydney (Australia) Morning Herald.
[smh.com.au]

The second article is from NBC's Connecticut affiliate.
U.N. Tells U.S. To Shut Down Cuban Prison Camp
[www.nbc30.com]

If you go through the list you'll find lots of well-regarded mainstream news sources.
Are these not valid news sources for you? How do the Sydney Herald and NBC bear any resemblance to Rush Limbaugh's site?
Posted by: davester
Date: February 16, 2006 08:22PM
I agree with Hal. Those aren't news sites any more than drudge or fox news are news sites. They are all propaganda sites. Just because they contain some links to actual mainstream news sites does not mean that the sites themselves represent "news" (which I presume to mean relatively unbiased objective reporting). Get a clue!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2006 08:24PM by davester.
Date: February 16, 2006 08:32PM
Well, Davester & hal, answer my question then. What are your favorite news sites?
Date: February 16, 2006 08:42PM
This is a good one:

[www.newseum.org]

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: February 16, 2006 08:46PM
I kind of like this one too: [www.pbs.org]

For local news I go to: [www.sfgate.com]

Date: February 16, 2006 09:24PM
Thanks. PBS has become increasingly politicized since Bush appointed a rightwing board.

I see the SF Gate front page has the same "U.N.: Gitmo A Torture Camp" story as CLG, so I'm confused as to why you think they're "propaganda" but the Gate isn't. To each his own.

Lucky you - living in SF. Too spendy for me. Love US 1 N. to Ft. Bragg.

I also get a "Chronwatch" newsletter that debunks the Chronicle from a right-wing perspective, calling it "propaganda," so one man's mainstream is another's fringe.
Date: February 16, 2006 11:14PM
Refurbvirgin Wrote:
> Thanks. PBS has become increasingly politicized
> since Bush appointed a rightwing board.

I don't think McNeil Lehrer newshour (which was the link) has changed one iota, so this strikes me as BS. Do you even watch it or did you even click the link?

> I see the SF Gate front page has the same "U.N.:
> Gitmo A Torture Camp" story as CLG, so I'm
> confused as to why you think they're "propaganda"
> but the Gate isn't. To each his own.

Perhaps you didn't even read my post. I said I use sfgate primarily for local news...and of course they have that story...it's a standard AP wire. Don't you understand how news organizations work?

> I also get a "Chronwatch" newsletter that debunks
> the Chronicle from a right-wing perspective

That guys a dope, just like drudge and limbaugh.

My friend, you are a piece of work. You have no concept of how to research anything or how to critically read articles. You are already a mile behind the pack just from limiting yourself to the narrowminded filtered news found on propaganda sites rather than trying to obtain a broad perspective.

Date: February 17, 2006 12:28AM
davester Wrote:
> I don't think McNeil Lehrer newshour (which was
> the link) has changed one iota, so this strikes me
> as BS. Do you even watch it or did you even click
> the link?

I get one channel of Canadian TV clearly, and no PBS here. MacNeil hasn't been on the program since '95, so please spare the insults about who's "a mile behind the pack." The show has long had a "narrow, pro-establishment guest list [that] mocks the original mandate of public television" in the estimation of FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy In Reporting) and born out by their research.
[www.fair.org]

> Perhaps you didn't even read my post. I said I
> use sfgate primarily for local news...and of
> course they have that story...it's a standard AP
> wire. Don't you understand how news organizations
> work?

Not being a professional reporter like yourself I don't share your intimate inside knowledge of what makes the same story credible at your link, but not mine.

For lack of your ability to conduct this dialogue without resorting to insults, I won't bother responding further.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2006 12:30AM by Refurbvirgin.
Date: February 17, 2006 12:36AM
From the FAIR report:
"The Carnegie Commission report that gave birth to PBS urged that public television 'be a forum for debate and controversy' and 'provide a voice for groups in the community that may otherwise be unheard' and 'help us see America whole, in all its diversity.' On these points, public TV's NewsHour has utterly failed. Much of MacNeil/Lehrer's coverage-– its selection of news makers and experts–- is even narrower than commercial TV.""
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: February 17, 2006 12:47AM
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 17, 2006 12:52AM
Setting a mission statement for Public Television as a whole is different than dictating content range of a specific program, which seems to be what you're calling for.

Didn't the "McLaughlin Report" once run on PBS, were they representative of anything outside the beltway?

How about the old "Firing Line" show, would you dictate what percentage of guests from what groups he might interview.

With Fox News outdrawing PBS 100 to 1 it's an irrelevent argument anyway.

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi
Date: February 17, 2006 01:40AM
Faux News validates H.L. Mencken:
"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: February 17, 2006 03:38AM
[news.bbc.co.uk]

[www.nytimes.com]

[www.washingtonpost.com]

I think if you're not reading the BBC news, you're missing some of the best news coverage in the business.

Note that last link is the Washington POST, NOT the TIMES.

I suspect that you never intended to ask about real news sites. You're looking for "alternative" news sites. If the links you offered are the kind of thing you're reading, you'll get as much substance here:
[www.theonion.com]
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 17, 2006 03:47AM
> I suspect that you never intended to ask about real news sites. You're looking for "alternative" news sites.
In my opinion "The Daily Show" offers more content than many of the networks.

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi
Posted by: x-uri
Date: February 17, 2006 07:49AM
My favorites are

Fox News

Worldnetdaily

Drudge Report

Newsmax

Redstate.org

Powerline

Free Republic

National Review Online

WSJ.com

Because they confirm my worldview that (wealthy) white protestant Americans are the chosen people and that the rest of the world is populated entirely by evil dark-skinned people with strange and sinister religious practices who riot and hijack planes and want to put anthrax in our water supply -- except, of course, for some very nice jewish folks in the financial services industry and that well-spoken negro doctor who gave me my flu shot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2006 07:52AM by x-uri.
Date: February 17, 2006 09:10AM
MacMagus Wrote:
[BBC, NY Times, Washington Post]

I like to get as wide a perspective as I can, and many of the articles in the three links I started this thread with (not my only newsletters - just three of the best for me in terms of headline & url format I can easily scan for things of interest) come from the BBC, TImes & Post.

The BBC is often a tool of the gov't however, and is biased in favor of Blair's Labour party:
[www.greenparty.org.uk]
[news.scotsman.com]

As is the New York Times (when they published Judith Miller's transcriptions of Ahmed Chalabi's lies about Iraq WMD as fact). To their credit they've fired her, but continue to employ drum beaters for war such as Tom Friedman.
[www.onlinejournal.com]

While NYT has a reputation as a "liberal" source, it often is far from it:
[www.fair.org]

FAIR also gores the "PentaPost" as an establishment mouthpiece:
[www.fair.org]

I also enjoy Lew Rockwell's libertarian newsletter:
[lewrockwell.com]

> Note that last link is the Washington POST, NOT
> the TIMES.
What have you got against Moonies? Bush likes 'em.
[www.rickross.com]

> I suspect that you never intended to ask about
> real news sites. You're looking for "alternative"
> news sites. If the links you offered are the kind
> of thing you're reading, you'll get as much
> substance here:

As I pointed out, the sources you recommended are often included in the three I listed. Hence "real news sites" are in the eye of the beholder. I know my government has lied us into war before (LBJ) and start from that point of skepticism, assuming they have ulterior motives until proven otherwise. :-) As George Washington said, "Government is not about service; government is about power."

Here are some other favorites:
[www.alternet.org]
[www.commondreams.org]
[tompaine.com]

Posted by: billb
Date: February 17, 2006 03:41PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 679
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020