advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
McCain's pick for VP reportedly is Palin
Posted by: karsen
Date: August 29, 2008 07:54AM
Alaska Governor Sarah Palin is reportedly McCain's pick for VP.

Pros:

- A woman may draw Hilary supporters to vote for McCain.

- She's a Washington outsider which helps counter Obama's strength. Last night Obama said "Change doesn't come from Washington, it comes to Washington." Well, you can't get much further away from Washington than Alaska.

- Unlike Obama, Biden, and McCain, she has a story many Americans can relate to. Her husband works as a commercial fisherman in Alaska and they have five kids together. Middle America identify with her.

- She's known for her straight talk.

- She's 44. Which brings the average age of the Republican ticket to just 58! ;)

- She's not Mitt Romney.

Cons:

- Limited resume. Although she has more experience than Obama.

- McCain will get a push in Alaska tanks to Palin, but will she help with the rest of the country?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: McCain's pick for VP reportedly is Palin
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 29, 2008 08:09AM
And I was hoping for Michael Palin. Or John Cleese.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 29, 2008 08:09AM
Darn. I thought it would be Michael Palin.

karsen
Last night Obama said "Change doesn't come from Washington, it comes to Washington." Well, you can't get much further away from Washington than Alaska.

Two words: Ted Stevens.

There is no rock in the country that you cannot turn over & find a slimy politician.
Posted by: wurm
Date: August 29, 2008 08:10AM
SNL will have a field day with this. She and Tina Fey may have been separated at birth.

Posted by: Ted King
Date: August 29, 2008 08:18AM
I would be surprised if he chose her mostly because it would undermine the primary claim he is making about Obama - that Obama isn't experienced enough to be president. Palin is younger than Obama and has only been governor of Alaska (which has an economy probably smaller than that of Los Angeles) for two years. If he thinks she is experienced enough to take over as commander-in-chief, it stretches credulity to the breaking point for him to convincingly make that argument against Obama.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 29, 2008 08:22AM
Palin or Pawlenty.

Romney will be smiling either way.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 29, 2008 08:54AM
oooh, Smart chicks in glasses! That's hot!
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 29, 2008 08:55AM
Well, if true, at least it is an interesting pick and not what most people expected.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: August 29, 2008 09:00AM
Rolando

Yes it is.

She won the Miss Alaska Pagent in 1984.

Date: August 29, 2008 09:01AM
billb
Palin or Pawlenty.

Romney will be smiling either way.

Pawlenty is out. That's been confirmed (supposedly.)

Date: August 29, 2008 09:03AM
Ted King
I would be surprised if he chose her mostly because it would undermine the primary claim he is making about Obama - that Obama isn't experienced enough to be president. Palin is younger than Obama and has only been governor of Alaska (which has an economy probably smaller than that of Los Angeles) for two years. If he thinks she is experienced enough to take over as commander-in-chief, it stretches credulity to the breaking point for him to convincingly make that argument against Obama.

Yet she has Executive experience, something Obama lacks in his short resume.

Posted by: billb
Date: August 29, 2008 09:12AM
Ted King
I would be surprised if he chose her mostly because it would undermine the primary claim he is making about Obama - that Obama isn't experienced enough to be president. .

McCain is claiming Obama is too young to be Vice President ?
He must not be too bright.

Hopefully there will be at least some voters who know the diffrence between SNL TV fantasy and the real world.
Posted by: guitarist
Date: August 29, 2008 09:22AM
Romney doesn't have a heck of a lot to smile about. I'm just glad it's not Romney or Huckabee, both those guys are problematic.

Ted, I agree Palin's experience will be an issue, but for reasons different than you're suggesting, that it undermines the argument re: Obama's experience. She's not running for President, McCain is. Obama (not just republicans feel this way, many democrats do, too) argue, isn't experienced enough to be President, but would have made a fine VP choice behind a more experienced candidate. A State Governor, regardless of the size of the state's economy, has executive responsibility and power that exceeds that of a freshman Senator. But you have a head start on the negative talking points we'll see used to brand Palin as underqualified.

I don't think she'll do anything for Hillary supporters, but she might draw in some suburban conservatives and Republican women. Palin is a risky choice, but at least it shakes things up a little. It's the "Hail Mary".
Date: August 29, 2008 09:24AM
Me likey!

I don't think she hates the gays enough for a Republican ticket, though.
Date: August 29, 2008 09:30AM
billb
McCain is claiming Obama is too young to be Vice President ?
He must not be too bright.

(man, I hope Republican-haters can do better than "not too bright" to make a convincing case against McCain)
Date: August 29, 2008 09:31AM
If Obama picked Tina Fey as his VP choice? Unbeatable!
Date: August 29, 2008 09:34AM
karsen
She won the Miss Alaska Pagent in 1984.

Second place, actually. So she will be well-prepared for the November election. ;)
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 29, 2008 09:54AM
Palin vs. Putin in the future? I hope not.
Posted by: samintx
Date: August 29, 2008 10:02AM
[us.rd.yahoo.com]

Hurrah!
Date: August 29, 2008 10:03AM
rgG
Well, if true, at least it is an interesting pick and not what most people expected.

She was on my watch list .....and has been mentioned.
Date: August 29, 2008 10:06AM
Dennis S
Palin vs. Putin in the future? I hope not.

Because why? She's a woman?

Posted by: kap
Date: August 29, 2008 10:14AM
Rolando

ABSOLUTELY!!!
Forget about VP. Tina Fey for President!

---

wurm, I can hardly wait to watch the SNL skit.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 29, 2008 10:26AM
If I was a Republican I think I'd be rather excited about this. Until I found out that Palin is "pro-life". But I do think this should make the GOP a little more interesting to observe during the weeks leading up to Obama's election.

Date: August 29, 2008 10:29AM
I think Biden did a Hanes underwear Ad, too, in the same issue....

[bp0.blogger.com]
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: August 29, 2008 10:41AM
Watch the poll numbers spike up for McCain.

I didn't think it was possible, but the Democrats are going to lose what should have been a "sure thing election."

Bryan
Date: August 29, 2008 10:47AM
Grumpyguy, don't count your chickens. Got enough "we won already!" hubris floating around here as it is LOL. Still a tight race, no clear victor either way.

The Palin choice is official now.

The opposing campaign is frantically trying to dig up dirt on here. The McCain campaign of course had her and her family and friends investigated all the way back to Biblical times, to rule out any surprises. I think the only scandal they found is that McCain once dated her grandmother.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 29, 2008 10:58AM
Perfect ! (And I predicted this, as I recall). Female. Young. The fact that she's hot will trump the aging male Republican Party faithful's opinions- they'll be too busy drooling to start harrumphing.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 29, 2008 11:07AM
She smoked marijuana, but didn't like it, as opposed to not inhaling...

Oh no - she has a degree in journalism!

smiling bouncing smiley
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: August 29, 2008 11:11AM
But she has small children and works outside of the home !!

What will the base think ?

Posted by: swampy
Date: August 29, 2008 11:11AM
There was a time when I was hoping more women would gain power in Washington then along came Nancy Palosi! Leave it to the Donks to screw up a good idea. My HOPE for CHANGE has been resurrected!!

If you don't stand for something, you'll probably fall for anything.t
Posted by: michaelb
Date: August 29, 2008 11:18AM
I am stunned. I think it is a great pick that will probably help McCain. At times though I think that democrats like McCain more than republicans, and this seems like a very democratic like pick. It also helps Obama by insulating him just a bit from the lack of experience argument. In the end the VP pick probably matters very little, particularly with actual undecideds. Maybe this year, for a variety of reasons (age, race), these picks matter more.

Anyone who thinks electing a black man as president would be easy is not living in the real world to me. Obama has a great shot though. This is surely the most exciting and interesting election of my lifetime and hard to argue with either party's ticket.
Posted by: kap
Date: August 29, 2008 11:18AM
McCain's choice of Palin for VP is a smart one. If he croaks, she will be the first female president. Hillary must be steaming right now!

SoCal for now.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: August 29, 2008 11:20AM
Wow! Interesting pick. I thought it was "fake" when I saw it (funny that someone mentioned SNL).

I know local city council members that have larger scale experience in economic terms than she does as Governor of Alaska. That will be the end of the experience debate.

I really will be amazed if Republicans are completely fine with knowing she WILL be President if McCain's health issues cause he to step down (voluntarily or not).

As for Romney being happy... no kidding. He knows he'll get to run again in 4 years.

Can't wait until ol' Johnny Hypocrite calls her a kunt like he did his wife. LOL...Unbelievable.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: August 29, 2008 11:28AM
Confirmed

[www.cnn.com]

Sen. John McCain has chosen Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his vice presidential candidate on the Republican ticket for the White House, the campaign said Friday.
Posted by: JPK
Date: August 29, 2008 11:36AM
This is interesting.

I happened to be talking to our Sales Rep in Alaska just after the new broke and he had nothing but really great things to say about her.

I think it really throws a wrench into Obama's assumed coronation that the media seems to be rolling with.

This election is not over by a longshot.

JPK

PS Is it just me or is Tina Fey getting hotter and hotter? 30 Rock is my favorite show!
Date: August 29, 2008 11:56AM
I just watched her speech. She's very captivating. What a great choice for VP.

This is going to be an interesting election. I can't wait for the debates.

Posted by: maco
Date: August 29, 2008 11:57AM
Mayor of a town of 8,471.
Governor of Alaska 2 years.
Date: August 29, 2008 11:59AM
Great speech and great recognition of the the women in politics...Hillary et al. I saw signs in the audience "Hillary 4 McCain". I bet McCain gets bunch of Hillary ladies.

The Obama press saying she has no experience needs to shut up. She has more executive experience than Obama. And it is a pro-life ticket.
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: August 29, 2008 12:01PM

Posted by: robfilms
Date: August 29, 2008 12:20PM
samintx
She has more executive experience than Obama..

sham-

you are grasping for reasons not to be embarrassed by an old man's decision.

mcain's pick is the governor of the 48th least populated state in the entire country and has been for less than 20 months. that's not experience. that's simply a job.

get real, she's a light-weight.

be well

rob
Posted by: kanesa
Date: August 29, 2008 12:46PM
robfilms
samintx
She has more executive experience than Obama..

sham-

you are grasping for reasons not to be embarrassed by an old man's decision.

mcain's pick is the governor of the 48th least populated state in the entire country and has been for less than 20 months. that's not experience. that's simply a job.

get real, she's a light-weight.

be well

rob

You are absolutely right. She is a light-weight with very little experience. I think this is a poor choice on McCain's part. I don't know why people think the Hillary Brigade is going to flock to McCain now. Palin is a social conservative, anti-national health care, anti-choice, pro-gun, pro big oil Republican. Everything that the Hillary Brigade was against. Women were not for Hillary just because she was a woman which is what the Republicans are getting wrong.

The governor of Alaska has a smaller budget than most large cities in the lower 48. She has no foreign policy credentials. I would really be afraid if something happened to McCain and she became president. But heck, America voted George Bush the First in with Danny Quayle so the VP choice really is not all that important. Someone still needs to explain that pick to me sometime. I really think Quayle hurt Bush when it came to the re-election.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 29, 2008 12:50PM
lafinfil
But she has small children and works outside of the home !!

What will the base think ?

the other forum i visit is one for parents (mom's mostly) homeschooling their kids in a classical tradition. (classics as in teaching latin and a strong emphasis on the 3Rs). that's where i first read about Palin's selection a little while ago.

most on that forum are extremely conservative christians.

trust me, The Base is Energized and Thrilled by her selection. those who either weren't voting for McCain or planned on holding their nose as they pulled the lever are now solidly onboard.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 29, 2008 12:51PM
guitarist
The opposing campaign is frantically trying to dig up dirt on here.

Hopefully it'll be graphic nude dirt.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: will2000
Date: August 29, 2008 01:02PM
>>>>> I really think Quayle hurt Bush when it came to the re-election.<<<<<

I don't think so. That had a very limited effect. The VP choice gets overrated, imho.
In the case of Bush 41, it was Ross Perot who did him in.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: August 29, 2008 01:07PM
Forget for a moment that it's irresponsible to have her lined up as the next President considering McCain's health issues.

She's already under investigation for having applied pressure to have her ex-brother-in-law fired. Of course she denies knowing anything about it but admits someone on her staff made the call. Sounds like she'll fit right into the standards that Republicans have settled for. Sounds like the same nonsense the Bush Admin has pulled (Valerie Plame, etc.).
Posted by: BCam
Date: August 29, 2008 01:15PM
Unintended consequences:
Who will now stump across America for Obama 24/7?
Bill Clinton.
No way he'll stand by and watch another woman get that close to the Presidency.
Posted by: kanesa
Date: August 29, 2008 01:41PM
McCain is going to look like Palin's father standing next to her or at least a dirty old man when he has his arm around her. Middle aged men will find it appealing.

I can just hear Biden at their debate,

"Governor, I served with Hillary Clinton. I know Hillary Clinton. Hillary Clinton is a friend of mine. Governor, you're no Hillary Clinton."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2008 01:46PM by kanesa.
Posted by: ajakeski
Date: August 29, 2008 02:46PM
A new genre has emerged....VPILF

I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to Hell? -Homer.
Date: August 29, 2008 03:27PM
(vikm)
Forget for a moment that it's irresponsible to have her lined up as the next President considering McCain's health issues.

Wait, so it's irresponsible to imagine her lined up as the next President because of her lack of qualifications, but for Obama it's okay? Don't tell me Obama has more qualifications, because he doesn't. If Obama wasn't a compelling and captivating speaker he'd have been chased out of the race along time ago due to his lack of political experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2008 03:33PM by karsen.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 29, 2008 03:35PM
>>Don't tell me Obama has more qualifications, because he doesn't.

Well, he's been playing in larger political arenas his whole career. He fought his way to the presidential nomination stage instead of being picked. Also, he taught constitutional law.

other than that, you're right.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020