advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
"Obesity is the terror within."
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: March 07, 2006 11:21AM
Put the danish down, and step away from the Hofbrau...

[www.livescience.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Obesity is the terror within."
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: March 07, 2006 11:50AM
[uk.news.yahoo.com]
Posted by: kj
Date: March 07, 2006 08:02PM
I see people at the grocery store using those electric carts. They're shopping for food, but too fat to walk. They should wait until they can walk before getting more food. kj.
Posted by: Refurbvirgin
Date: March 07, 2006 09:16PM
kj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see people at the grocery store using those
> electric carts. They're shopping for food, but
> too fat to walk. They should wait until they can
> walk before getting more food. kj.

Unfortunately the more we weigh the more calories we require to move ourselves about, and the more pressure it puts on our joints, making it painful to exercise. Gravity can be overcome by water-exercises and many people burn calories that way, but not everyone tolerates chlorine well either. Obesity often starts in childhood and dietary habits make it heriditary in the sense that we are taught what and how much we need to eat. The complexity of dealing with obesity is increased by the fact that fat people seldom have high self-esteem, which leads to depression, which causes chronic fatigue which reduces our capability to exercise even further, so it becomes a vicious cycle. When we get tired we think we must be hungry, so we eat more, etc.

Glandular malfunctions can also cause the body to lose its ability to burn calories efficiently and also sometimes cause the body to store more fat than it needs. We store toxins in our fat cells so when they are burned those toxins are dumped into our bloodstream and we feel sick. Try not to judge people that are morbidly obese. They may not have any more control over their bodies than do cancer patients.

Posted by: Nowakeos
Date: March 07, 2006 10:32PM

Yeah, but I can quit any time I want.
Date: March 07, 2006 10:39PM
I honestly didn't mean any disrespect to anyone. The irony and gravity (to borrow your word) of the situation overwhelmed me at the time. I 've always defended overweight people (on this or the other forum), as I've had difficulty controlling my weight, as many do. On my 30th BD I weighed 161 lbs. and was in awesome shape. We moved, I got a real job, had two kids, and by 35 I weighed 230. I've now been below 190 for almost 5 yrs., and it takes constant vigilance. I know others have a lot more to deal with, so I usually cut people a lot of slack. I apologize for my lack of sensitivity. kj.
Date: March 07, 2006 11:00PM
Congrats, kj - I'm in the same boat. I remember looking down on fat people when I was young and had a metabolism, and now I'm fighting the same battle myself. Now I must go get on the rowing machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2006 11:01PM by Refurbvirgin.
Date: March 07, 2006 11:24PM
Thanks. kj.
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: March 08, 2006 03:06PM
i rode around on one of those electric scooters. They're fun. Had a lot of pickup. I want one with a V8 when it's my time.

Posted by: Seacrest
Date: March 08, 2006 04:48PM
V8 - found in the juice aisle.
Date: March 08, 2006 04:51PM
Electric vehicles can have a lot of torque.
"His quickest quarter-mile passes of the day:
9.16 seconds @ 143 mph
and
8.91 seconds @ 145.8 mph "

[www.wurts.net]
[www.designnews.com]
[deseretnews.com]
Posted by: HeyDude
Date: March 16, 2006 08:30PM
I worked at a Toyota show in which a hybrid vehicle was part of the demo. It started out as an electric and engaged normal engine at speeds above 30 mph. It had no ignition key, but a 'dongle' that allowed the car to accelerate as soon as you put the car in drive, and stepped on the gas peddle. It had great pickup, but I was never able to drive fast enough to see how it transitioned from battery to combustion engine. Supposedly the economy was 60mpg in the city, and 50 on the highway.

The key was only for locking the doors.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 117
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020