advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
The grades are out: D+, and proud of it.
Posted by: Furiously Stylish
Date: March 09, 2006 01:02PM
[www.stategunlaws.org]

And of course, they fib about a few things, but their shining agenda forgives them.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The grades are out: D+, and proud of it.
Posted by: Refurbvirgin
Date: March 09, 2006 01:25PM
There's little there to be proud of, imho.

"No state requirement that gun owners take responsible steps to prevent children from gaining easy access to their firearms. Gun owners are not held accountable for leaving loaded guns around kids, even if a young child shoots themselves or someone else with a gun left in plain sight."

That's idiocy. I support the right to responsible ownership, not recklessness.

Date: March 09, 2006 01:39PM
Our laws aren't perfect. If they were, according to some, the Brady campaign could fold up their tents and go home. Anyone who allowed a child to lay their hands on a loaded firearm would be arrested for criminal neglect and held accountable for whatever happened, or anything else that a competent ADA could think up, which says nothing about possible civil consequences.

The laws that we have should be enforced. Magic Band-Aids won't make boo-boos never happen in the first place, and neither will unenforceable designer laws concocted to placate the soccer moms.

Furb, please, put down the Kool-Aid.

This is the current body of law concerning minors in PA:

Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes
CRIMES AND OFFENSES (TITLE 18)
PART II. DEFINITION OF SPECIFIC OFFENSES.
ARTICLE G. MISCELLANEOUS OFFENSES
CHAPTER 61. FIREARMS AND OTHER DANGEROUS ARTICLES

Subchapter A. Uniform Firearms Act

§ 6110.1. Possession of firearm by minor.

(a) Firearm.--Except as provided in subsection (b), a person under 18 years of age shall not possess or transport a firearm anywhere in this Commonwealth.

(b) Exception.--Subsection (a) shall not apply to a person under 18 years of age:

1. who is under the supervision of a parent, grandparent, legal guardian or an adult acting with the expressed consent of the minor's custodial parent or legal guardian and the minor is engaged in lawful activity, including safety training, lawful target shooting, engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or the firearm is unloaded and the minor is transporting it for a lawful purpose; or
2. who is lawfully hunting or trapping in accordance with 34 Pa.C.S. (relating to game).

(c) Responsibility of adult.--Any person who knowingly and intentionally delivers or provides to the minor a firearm in violation of subsection (a) commits a felony of the third degree.

(d) Forfeiture.--Any firearm in the possession of a person under 18 years of age in violation of this section shall be promptly seized by the arresting law enforcement officer and upon conviction or adjudication of delinquency shall be forfeited or, if stolen, returned to the lawful owner.
Date: March 09, 2006 02:07PM
Nothing in what you quoted puts the responsibility for properly securing and storing a firearm out of the reach of minors. How many kids are shot each year because they found a loaded firearm in a dresser drawer or otherwise easily accessible location?
Date: March 09, 2006 02:30PM
Refurbvirgin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nothing in what you quoted puts the responsibility
> for properly securing and storing a firearm out of
> the reach of minors. How many kids are shot each
> year because they found a loaded firearm in a
> dresser drawer or otherwise easily accessible
> location?

No @#$%&, Dick Tracy. You think specially enacted laws are going to do more in reducing the number of deaths by misadventure among children than criminal neglect and manslaughter charges successfully prosecuted?

Oh, and that responsibility — put on whom? It's a waste of my time to debate this, and doubly so if you're incapable of writing more than sentence fragments by way of forensic discourse.

Finish your Kool-Aid.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: March 09, 2006 03:16PM
Oh, is that where you live?

That explains a few things.
Date: March 09, 2006 03:24PM
Furiously Stylish Wrote:

> No @#$%&, Dick Tracy.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Posted by: Guitarman
Date: March 09, 2006 03:33PM
As long as a one ball psycho gun nut can own a gun in PA and have a legal carry permit and get away with pulling his gun on un-armed civilians, the gun laws in PA are completely out of wack.

Date: March 09, 2006 03:37PM
> You think specially enacted laws are going to do more in
> reducing the number of deaths by misadventure among children
> than criminal neglect and manslaughter charges successfully
> prosecuted?

I do.

Licenses with biennial mandatory gun safety training. Mandatory sales of trigger locks with every gun purchased.

I think those alone would probably cut it by half.
Date: March 09, 2006 04:04PM
MacMagus Wrote:
> > You think specially enacted laws are going to
> do more in
> > reducing the number of deaths by misadventure
> among children
> > than criminal neglect and manslaughter
> charges successfully
> > prosecuted?
>
> I do.
>
> Licenses with biennial mandatory gun safety
> training. Mandatory sales of trigger locks with
> every gun purchased.
>
> I think those alone would probably cut it by half.

Recalculate, please. We already have mandatory sale of gun locks with firearms. And what does my being from PA have to do with the price of tea in China, if you'll pardon the highly non-PC expression?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2006 04:05PM by Furiously Stylish.
Date: March 09, 2006 04:06PM
Refurbvirgin Wrote:
> Furiously Stylish Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > No @#$%&, Dick Tracy.
>
> Welcome to my ignore list.
>
>

I'M HONORED
Date: March 09, 2006 04:11PM
> And what does my being from PA have to do with the price of
> tea in China, if you'll pardon the highly non-PC expression?

It was a joke. Cool yer head.
Posted by: Pops
Date: March 09, 2006 04:20PM
Furiously Stylish Wrote:
> This is the current body of law concerning minors
> in PA:
... blah, blah, blah
> § 6110.1. Possession of firearm by minor.
>
> (a) Firearm.--Except as provided in subsection (b), a person under 18 years of age shall not
> possess or transport a firearm anywhere in this Commonwealth.
>
> (b) Exception.--Subsection (a) shall not apply to a person under 18 years of age:
>
> 1. who is under the supervision of a parent, grandparent, legal guardian or an adult acting
> with the expressed consent of the minor's custodial parent or legal guardian and the minor
> is engaged in lawful activity, including safety training, lawful target shooting, engaging in an
> organized competition involving the use of a firearm or the firearm is unloaded and the minor
> is transporting it for a lawful purpose; or

I know I didn't quote everytrhing you posted, but did you leave anything out? Is there any minimum age limit when a minor is under a parent's supervision?

Or can dad take his 5 year old out plinking?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2006 04:21PM by Pops.
Date: March 09, 2006 04:45PM
I'm one of the few people on this board that has defended you, Styles. What part of your understanding of the meaning of "Friendly Political Ranting" permits you to start swearing at someone engaging you in debate? I'm starting to understand why so many have bitter grudges against you.

Learn to control your temper, and your mouth. Profanity is a sign of a limited vocabulary, and if you wish to insult me at least do it with more creativity and without resorting to the language of a street thug.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2006 04:46PM by Refurbvirgin.
Posted by: mick e
Date: March 09, 2006 05:03PM

BAIT TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unpaid Social Liaison
Date: March 09, 2006 05:22PM
Dear Refurbvirgin:

I owe you nothing for your defense, thank you all the same.

First, you quote directly from the Brady Bunch, who even you must admit have a completely focused agenda and plan of action that allows only one vision. Almost anything that comes from them is as innocuous and unbiased as a (cover your ears, Gertrude) pissed-off snake in Southeast Asia. Frankly, I'd rather go to the Christian Science Monitor for a review of a strip-joint.

Then, you attack me, despite the fact that I not only quoted the law as it concerns minors, but also allowed for the imperfection of current statutes. And you also refuse to address my assertion, in counterpoint, that current laws, if enforced, would obviate the need for additional, needless legislation, i.e., pandering to a nervous and ill-informed constituency. And finally, you demonstrate that you are incapable of writing and presenting a well thought-out, cogent, and gramatically correct point.

Debate is not dodge ball, and even though I wasn't seeking one, you seemed to think yourself joined in a reasonable facsimile thereof, despite your shortcomings as an interlocutor and your Roobarb & Custard syllogisms. I don't debate 2A matters, especially when I look down and see that someone is attempting to puff sunshine up my shorts and drag me down the slippery slope at the same time.

Your attempt at dissimulation deserved a rebuke, especially since you cling to the mantle of respectability. If you think that it was too "street," I suggest that you hang out somewhere other than in front of Judge Hardy's porch. Please, 'Furb, even your skin isn't that thin, and if it is, you need to toughen up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2006 05:22PM by Furiously Stylish.
Date: March 09, 2006 06:11PM
Furiously Stylish Wrote:
> I owe you nothing for your defense, thank you all
> the same.

I never said you owed me anything. Just curious why you burn bridges with everyone, including those that have treated you courteously and respectfully.

> First, you quote directly from the Brady Bunch,
> who even you must admit have a completely focused
> agenda and plan of action that allows only one
> vision.

I quoted from the link YOU posted.

> Then, you attack me, despite the fact that I not
> only quoted the law as it concerns minors, but
> also allowed for the imperfection of current
> statutes.

I called the failure to hold adults responsible who leave loaded weapons accessible to minors "idiocy." That's not attacking you. And you complain about my "thin skin?"

> And you also refuse to address my
> assertion, in counterpoint, that current laws, if
> enforced,[/b[ would obviate the need for additional,
> needless legislation, i.e., pandering to a nervous
> and ill-informed constituency.

Is it possible the reason such laws are not enforced is that the citizenry is not clearly aware of their responsibility to properly lock & store their weapons? I believe we need specific laws rather than broadly general ones, open to interpretation and misunderstandings.

>And finally, you
> demonstrate that you are incapable of writing and
> presenting a well thought-out, cogent, and
> gramatically correct point.

The rest of your diatribe is unworthy of response so I'll limit myself to asking what error in grammar did I commit? And, btw, there is no such word as "gramatically." Those who live in glass houses....

I don't swear at people here, Styles, and I advise you to do the same.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2006 06:13PM by Refurbvirgin.
Date: March 09, 2006 06:24PM
THERE'S A LOKI ON THE LINE:

Unpaid Social Liaison
Date: March 09, 2006 06:30PM
Point taken, mick. The issue is important to me. As a volunteer firefighter//EMT I had to respond to the suicide of a kid whose access to a firearm preempted counselling. I'm done with this thread.
Date: March 09, 2006 06:57PM
I didn't start this thread to bait Loki/Furby or to give mick e anything to do. This is the political side; I posted a politically sensitive observation.

'Furb, I'm genuinely sorry that you were exposed to a suicide by firearm. That said, adults who allow children access to firearms are held accountable, simply without the feel-good statute that you seem to feel should be in place.

[www.pacode.com]

(5) If the sale/transfer is not denied, the transaction may be completed and the licensee/sheriff shall complete the applicable sections on the form as per block instructions, and provide the transferee/purchaser a summary of the uniform firearm laws which includes a safety brochure. The transferee/purchaser shall then sign the designated block on the form.

The language of the brochure mentioned above is completely unambiguous, and keeping firearms away from children is specifically listed within its contents. Furthermore, the transferee/purchaser signs a Record of Sale indicating that they have received such materials and are aware of their contents.

[www.co.somerset.pa.us]

I'm not sure what more laws would do to make it any more unlawful to allow kids access to guns. But I do know that Brady/HCI just plain wants them GONE, and everything that they do is a chess move towards this final end.

grammatically: [dictionary.reference.com]

Do pardon my typo, won't you?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2006 07:00PM by Furiously Stylish.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 09, 2006 08:32PM
Furiously Stylish Wrote:
> Debate is not dodge ball, and even though I wasn't
> seeking one, you seemed to think yourself joined
> in a reasonable facsimile thereof, despite your
> shortcomings as an interlocutor and your Roobarb
> & Custard syllogisms. I don't debate 2A
> matters, especially when I look down and see that
> someone is attempting to puff sunshine up my
> shorts and drag me down the slippery slope at the
> same time.
>
> Your attempt at dissimulation deserved a rebuke,
> especially since you cling to the mantle of
> respectability. If you think that it was too
> "street," I suggest that you hang out somewhere
> other than in front of Judge Hardy's porch.
> Please, 'Furb, even your skin isn't that thin, and
> if it is, you need to toughen up.

Jesus, it's out of the bottle again.

I call @#$%&. You absolutely were looking for a "debate;" Loki was fool enough to take "de bait," as it were. He did not attack you; to the contrary, you, in only your second post to the thread, insultingly patronized him and, in your very next post, outright insulted him. YOU attacked him.

SOS from Styles. What a pathetic life you must lead.

P.S. What's this? An edit? From Furious Styles, the first person to denigrate others for editing their posts.

Hypocrite.

It is what it is.
Date: March 09, 2006 10:10PM
[www.fartfarm.com]

Have a can and a smile, Jack. As if you have any semblance of balance when it comes to matters concerning me.

Run along, kid.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 09, 2006 10:14PM
Furiously Stylish Wrote:
> Our laws aren't perfect. If they were, according
> to some, the Brady campaign could fold up their
> tents and go home. Anyone who allowed a child to
> lay their hands on a loaded firearm would be
> arrested for criminal neglect and held accountable
> for whatever happened, or anything else that a
> competent ADA could think up, which says nothing
> about possible civil consequences.
>
> The laws that we have should be enforced. Magic
> Band-Aids won't make boo-boos never happen in the
> first place, and neither will unenforceable
> designer laws concocted to placate the soccer
> moms.
>
> Furb, please, put down the Kool-Aid.
>

This is nuts... Styles, you CLAIM to be all for gun safety - right? So RV gives a perect example of a weakness in PA law thus supporting the D grade given by the brady bunch. The law he mentions is common everywhere else in the country - in case you didn;t know.

Do you have a problem forcing law abiding gun owners to safely store their guns?

You've let LOKI rip you apart in a fairly fought battle of logic. This SHOULD tell you something....
Date: March 09, 2006 10:41PM
Hal, how the hell do you come to the conclusion that I lost a battle of wits with Loki? He's obviously still dealing with having had to scrape someone's brains off the walls — not that I would cope any better, mind you. He can't manage an unemotional approach to this one because of his history.

No number of laws are going to make idiots securely store firearms with or without children present in the home. And how the hell (cover your ears, Gertrude) do you enforce them? Idiots are idiots, and laws enacted to attempt to force safe storage are nothing more than hearts-and-minds legislation designed to make representative government look good and to make constituents sing a few verses of self-satisfied Kumbaya.

If you bother to reread the thread or chase down any of the links, you'll see that PA has mandatory gun locks and distributes a common-sense, plain English safety manual which is supposed to be read by anyone who acquires a firearm that requires transfer paperwork.

I don't debate 2A these days. And yes, that's what this is at its heart. Not safety, not something "for the children." The Brady campaign stops at nothing, including the brainwashing of susceptible parties like Loki, in order to push its agenda, which is the complete elimination of firearms from American society, outside of military and police use. I feel that private ownership of firearms is a force for balance in this society. Citizens own weapons; subjects do not, nor do slaves.

No, there are no black helicopters coming over the horizon, and I don't want to turn this thread into a screed. But I will not be moved from this opinion, come a hundred sign-toting, chanting Lokis and Guitarmen, parroting a thousand hokey, shopworn epithets fed them by the Brady Bunch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2006 10:42PM by Furiously Stylish.
Date: March 09, 2006 10:51PM
Furiously Stylish Wrote:
> >
> Have a can and a smile, Jack. As if you have any
> semblance of balance when it comes to matters
> concerning me.
>
> Run along, kid.

I challenge you to screw up the courage to directly address the points I made, instead of cutting and running like you usually do. Personally, I don't think you have it in you.

It is what it is.
Date: March 09, 2006 11:36PM
Date: March 09, 2006 11:45PM
YOU BOYS READY
FOR SOME MORE
CHUM????????????
_____\__________

Unpaid Social Liaison
Posted by: sKwiRreL_kILLeR
Date: March 10, 2006 06:14PM
Loki gets Fustied.

PS: Hey Loki, kILLeR has noticed how you squawk and crow when others answer posts by people they've announced are "on ignore," how is it you are still debating fatsy when you've got him on ignore? eye popping smiley

Date: March 10, 2006 07:50PM
sKwiRreL_kILLeR Wrote:
> PS: Hey Loki, kILLeR has noticed how you squawk
> and crow when others answer posts by people
> they've announced are "on ignore," how is it you
> are still debating fatsy when you've got him on
> ignore?

One of the attractive features of the "ignore" function is that it provides one with the option of "click to show." If I see that the thread has taken an interesting turn I also have the option of returning to it. What I've pointed out is the absurdity of someone quoting in their post with "User ignored - click to show/hide this message" as part of their response.

The ignore button taketh away and it giveth back. With Spurious on "ignore" I can more rapidly scroll through a thread without having to read his attacks on others. If a subsequent post by another user piques my interest I can back up, click him off (so to speak) and ascertain what new bile he's spewed.

You ought to try it - it really does make browsing the forum much more pleasant.
Date: March 11, 2006 01:19PM
I think I'm having a Sally Field at-the-Oscars moment here.
(sniff) I'm getting all verklempt.

In the immortal words of Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?"

Stuffed Shirt had it right - "State your opinions and keep comments about other posters out of your posts." (paraphrased)

To that I'd add:

"Address your fellow conversants with the same respect you would as if they were seated on the bar stool next to you with a half-empty pitcher in front of them and a claw hammer in their hand."

Have fun.
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: March 11, 2006 01:58PM
Someone needs to create an award, "The Fustys". I'm sure Keef can come up with a good one. grinning smiley

Posted by: Keef
Date: March 11, 2006 04:19PM
I could, but they'd yank it if I posted it – how 'bout a gold-plated bucket of chicken? A bronzed bottle of fish sauce?

Posted by: Pops
Date: March 12, 2006 12:20PM
Pops Wrote:
> > Furiously Stylish Wrote:
> > --------------------------------------------------

> > This is the current body of law concerning minors in PA...

> I know I didn't quote everytrhing you posted, but did you leave anything out? Is there any minimum
> age limit when a minor is under a parent's supervision? Or can dad take his 5 year old out plinking?

Any chance of answering my question, Fusty?
Date: March 12, 2006 06:26PM
Pops Wrote:
> Pops Wrote:
> -----
> > > Furiously Stylish Wrote:
> > >
>
>
> > > This is the current body of law
> concerning minors in PA...
>
> > I know I didn't quote everytrhing you posted,
> but did you leave anything out? Is there any
> minimum
> > age limit when a minor is under a parent's
> supervision? Or can dad take his 5 year old out
> plinking?
>
> Any chance of answering my question, Fusty?

Sorry, Pops, were you mistaking me for an encyclopædia?

Look it up. I don't know what the minimum ge is, but I've seen kids apparently as young as ten or so shooting at public ranges with their parents.
Date: March 12, 2006 07:39PM
Furiously Stylish Wrote:
> > Pops Wrote:

> > Any chance of answering my question, Fusty?
>
>
> Sorry, Pops, were you mistaking me for an
> encyclopædia?
>
> Look it up.

Perhaps he was mistaking you for someone who, once in a while, might be willing to contribute to the forum instead of just sullying it. I bet he won't make that mistake again.

It is what it is.
Date: March 12, 2006 08:03PM
Pile on the FuSty, pile on the FuSty!

Oh, wait, no, I'm supposed to Elmer Fudd — this is so damned confusing. Can't you settle on one image with which to demonize me?
Date: March 13, 2006 12:39AM
Hmm... I understand Dick Cheney is looking for new hunting companions....
Posted by: DharmaDog
Date: March 19, 2006 10:40PM
I'm sorry you had to respond to a suicide involving a firearm, Refurbvirgin. But honestly, does the method of suicide change things in the end?

My mother committed suicide using a plastic bag over her head, but I'm not out trying to ban the sale of plastic bags. It won't bring her back anyway, and if someone wants to die, they're going to find a way.

And I'm not a gun nut. I don't own one, never have owned one, don't plan on owning one, never fired one or held one. However, I have been mugged at gun point. But I doubt it would have been much different if the mugger had a nasty knife instead or even a baseball bat. I've seen a man beaten viciously with a wrench, but I'm not out trying to enact stricter wrench control.

I'm all for keeping guns away from the "bad elements" of society, and gun safety just makes sense, but much of the legislation proposed only looks good on paper and in political arenas and will not keep guns away from the people that intend to violate existing laws and do harm to others. I doubt my mugger was concerned with gun laws at the time he was mugging me.

I think that if half the energy expended addressing gun violence was redirected to addressing violence in general regardless of the tool used we would make more progress in decreasing violence that involved firearms. Americans are simply too violent.

And it cannot be blamed on Texas or whatever state you wish to stereotype. I just moved from Houston to Wilmington, DE so I get Philadelphia local news and I am shocked at the murder rate in that town. Seems like every night one or two more people have been killed. Just tonight a 13 year old girl murdered her 32 year old father who was a police officer by burning the house down. BTW, she didn't use or need a gun to commit this crime. But would it have been better or worse if she had shot him instead of burning him alive? I vote neither.

This post isn't just for RV, but for others that seem at times irrationally anti-gun. Just responded to RV since he mentioned suicide by gun as though the method impacts the outcome. I don't share that viewpoint.
Date: March 20, 2006 12:53AM
DharmaDog Wrote:
> This post isn't just for RV, but for others that
> seem at times irrationally anti-gun. Just
> responded to RV since he mentioned suicide by gun
> as though the method impacts the outcome. I don't
> share that viewpoint.

What I wrote was:
"As a volunteer firefighter//EMT I had to respond to the suicide of a kid whose access to a firearm preempted counselling."

How do you deduce that I'm "anti-gun" from that? I own guns, and I keep them locked up, and away from children. What I objected to in PA law was the lack on consequences for those that don't.

Posted by: DharmaDog
Date: March 20, 2006 06:41AM
I know that you are not anti-gun, but there are others on this forum that definitely are. (Which is why I said the post wasn't just for you.) It just concerned me that it seemed as if you may have been trying to use an unfortunate and tragic event like a suicide to bolster your case. I wanted to point out that you don't need a gun to commit suicide or kill someone else. Violence is the underlying issue, not guns.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 183
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020