Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Obama Expands Missile Strikes Inside Pakistan
Posted by: NeverMind
Date: February 20, 2009 09:16PM

[www.nytimes.com]

Wait, wasn't he going to be putting up the white flag?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2009 09:16PM by NeverMind.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Obama Expands Missile Strikes Inside Pakistan
Posted by: Dakota
Date: February 20, 2009 09:41PM
NeverMind

[www.nytimes.com]

Good for him. I am all for it. Ironically, he may be carrying out the Bush Doctrine better than Bush. Remember no sanctuary for terrorists. I just like the see the look on the faces of DailyKooks readers. They thought they got themselves an anti-war candidate. Is anybody keeping a death watch over casualties in Afghanistan or was it just Iraq that counts?
Date: February 20, 2009 09:45PM
Anti-war candidate? what is your source of information? You really need to stop listening to Rush.
Date: February 20, 2009 09:49PM
NeverMind
Anti-war candidate? what is your source of information? You really need to stop listening to Rush.

You really thought that moveons and Betrayus crowd voted for Obama so he would throw more rockets at weddings?
Posted by: Doc
Date: February 20, 2009 09:55PM
All that talk about Chicago politicians and nobody thinks about...

[en.wikipedia.org]
Date: February 20, 2009 10:17PM
Dakota
NeverMind

You really thought that moveons and Betrayus crowd voted for Obama so he would throw more rockets at weddings?

You really need to stop listening to Rush. Betrayus? Why is each time someone disagrees with you your party calls them unpatriotic? Republicans don't own the book an patriotism. I consider it unpatriotic to start a war when you know there is no need for it. Why don't you complain about Bush for that? He was told that there was no evidence of WMD's several times by several people.
Posted by: kj
Date: February 21, 2009 12:31AM
NeverMind
Dakota
NeverMind

You really need to stop listening to Rush. Betrayus? Why is each time someone disagrees with you your party calls them unpatriotic? Republicans don't own the book an patriotism. I consider it unpatriotic to start a war when you know there is no need for it. Why don't you complain about Bush for that? He was told that there was no evidence of WMD's several times by several people.

I thought Betrayus was the name Moveon.org gave to the general.

Obama said he was going to bomb pakistan in one of the debates, so he is just keeping his promises. Lawful war is cool, it's just the unlawful one that is a problem. kj.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 21, 2009 01:59AM
Pakistan has been at the root of a lot of problems. We shouldn't be over there but since we are we need to be effective. If the government of Pakistan falls, so be it. Bet on one thing, if the Pakistani government falls their nuclear ability will be taken out before we vacate the area.
Posted by: swampy
Date: February 21, 2009 08:31AM
RgrF
Pakistan has been at the root of a lot of problems. We shouldn't be over there but since we are we need to be effective. If the government of Pakistan falls, so be it. Bet on one thing, if the Pakistani government falls their nuclear ability will be taken out before we vacate the area.

So why isn't this true of Iraq?

If you don't stand for something, you'll probably fall for anything.t
Posted by: samintx
Date: February 21, 2009 08:44AM
When the body bags start coming back will be hear anything from the "other side"? Will there be a cry for "get out of Pakistan"? Money, death toll, unwinable war? Or will it be Okey Dokey because BHO says it's so.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: February 21, 2009 10:26AM
samintx
When the body bags start coming back will be hear anything from the "other side"? Will there be a cry for "get out of Pakistan"? Money, death toll, unwinable war? Or will it be Okey Dokey because BHO says it's so.
Yeppers!!
I'd march into the "Gates of Hell" for our new Leader!!
I've actually served in the US Military, not like a lot of ForumFolk who just do monday morning quarterbacking!!

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 21, 2009 10:46AM
Dakota
NeverMind

[www.nytimes.com]

Good for him. I am all for it. Ironically, he may be carrying out the Bush Doctrine better than Bush. Remember no sanctuary for terrorists. I just like the see the look on the faces of DailyKooks readers. They thought they got themselves an anti-war candidate. Is anybody keeping a death watch over casualties in Afghanistan or was it just Iraq that counts?

I knew exactly what Obama was saying about Afghanistan, going all the way back to the primaries last year. That the primary target should have remained, and would be his of getting bin Laden, the al-Queda organization around him, and the Taliban who supported and sheltered them. I'm not happy about the casualties in Afghanistan either. But how much of that is because the main effort was diverted to Iraq and the Taliban and al-Queda have been given 6+ years to regroup, rearm, and re-entrench themselves in parts of Pakistan and Afghanistan? It's only the spin-meisters on the right who have been trying to paint Obama as being "anti-war". It has always been more "anti how the Bush administration was going to war" than anti-war.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2009 10:49AM by JoeH.
Posted by: JPK
Date: February 21, 2009 01:26PM
I will sum up the typical response that will be seen to this:

Its OK for Obama to do anything, no matter how hypocritical or contrary to everything of the people who voted him because its all Bush's fault.

Boring and and does not validate or excuse all of Obama's missteps.

JPK
Date: February 21, 2009 01:45PM
And JPK, yours is the typical right wing response. Let's blame Obama for things people on the right have said he said, not what he actually said. Then say we were not paying attention. He's not as liberal/progressive as many on the right have been trying to make him out to be. But compared to Bush and company, he appears so much more so. Some on the left have bought into that image plastered onto him by the right, they may end up being disappointed. But most knew what they were getting. If he really messes up on something, I'll complain about that when it happens.

Date: February 21, 2009 04:49PM
RgrF

I suppose it is OK now to invade sovereign nations. Under what UN authority, UN lovers, are we firing missiles into another country? What happened to the not going it alone argument? Are those Dutch soldiers about to land any time soon?

Every argument the anti-Iraq war crowd had weaved for 8 years is turned on its head overnight.

Illegal war? no problem
Invasion of sovereign countries? no problem
UN? the heck with them
Evidence? who cares?
Allies? we don't need them

How can you look yourself in the mirror?
Date: February 21, 2009 07:22PM
Apparently we are not firing missiles "into" another country. From the reports it looks like they are firing the missiles from Predators based inside Pakistan at targets in Pakistan. That would require some agreement from the government to be there. But according to you and swampy, that can't exist. As for the rest, those are mostly on the prior administration, now this one is left to clean up behind it.

Posted by: swampy
Date: February 22, 2009 11:21AM
JoeH... Please quit putting words into my mouth. Where did I say that launching predators from inside Pakistan couldn't happen?

Per my statement in a previous thread About DiFi's big mouth
[forums.macresource.com]

"We all suspected it, but no U.S. official had publicly confirmed it. This really puts Pakistan between a rock and a hard place, but people like you don't understand the subtleness of that."

If you don't stand for something, you'll probably fall for anything.t
Date: February 22, 2009 03:14PM
I always wondered why DiFi would say something stupid like that. Now we know why. It gives the apologist a fig leaf. The term coalition of the "willing" was mocked for 8 years. Apparently, anyone who cooperates with us now is a willing, as opposed to coerced, partner. What a difference a few months makes.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 23, 2009 12:00AM
DiFi is more Republican than the Republican governor of her own state.
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: February 24, 2009 12:37AM
Osama Bin Laden????

Are we even concerned about him anymore?

Doesn't he live in Saudi Arabia with the rest of his family?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020