advertisement
Forums

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the 'Friendly' Political Ranting forum
Clinton states, "Human rights can wait"
Posted by: ajakeski
Date: February 21, 2009 09:40AM
[www.cnn.com]

"Human rights cannot interfere with the global economic crisis, the global climate change crisis and the security crises," Clinton said in talks with China's foreign minister.

My translation:
"F the people, this may effect my wallet!"

Way to go Hil.

I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to Hell? -Homer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Clinton states, "Human rights can wait"
Posted by: Black
Date: February 21, 2009 09:49AM
Not sure about the objectivity of this article, AJ-- something very strange about the way the contents of this speech were chopped up and doled out here.
Have you seen more comprehensive coverage of the visit?

Clinton said both nations will continue to hold frank discussions on crucial human rights issues, such as Tibet and freedom of expression in China. In the past, Clinton has been an outspoken, staunch critic of China's human rights stance.

In a welcoming response, Yang said China was willing to discuss the often-contentious subject of human rights.

"Although differences exist, China is willing to conduct the dialogues with the U.S. to push forward the human rights situation on the premise of mutual respect and noninterference in each other's internal affairs," Yang was quoted in the Chinese Xinhua news agency.

Sounds like she hopes to make some progress in that area but hopes to be more effective building a relationship first.

Do you always draw your gun and order a person to the ground as a first response when you handle a call?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: swampy
Date: February 21, 2009 09:56AM
She may be right. Nobody around the world seems to care about human rights. The USA seems to, but where's the rest of the world when it comes to human rights in Darfur, North Korea, women in Islamic countries, or any of the other countries around the world? The U.N. pays lip service, but nothing gets done. So why should Hillary spend her time talking to the wall?

And if she can't help get other countries on the road to economic stability (which can only help the USA) we won't have money and aid to send to starving children in Africa.

If you don't stand for something, you'll probably fall for anything.t
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: February 21, 2009 09:58AM
Easy to cherry pick statements so I'll pick one now -

"Although differences exist, China is willing to conduct the dialogues with the U.S. to push forward
the human rights situation on the premise of mutual respect and noninterference in each other's
internal affairs," Yang was quoted in the Chinese Xinhua news agency.

See how China hold s the majority of US debt it would be like going into the banker that can call your loans at any time
and telling him that you don't like the way he's treating his employees and you demand he changes.

Sec of State deals in diplomacy and reading more than a headline may make this easier to understand.

Posted by: ajakeski
Date: February 21, 2009 10:11AM
I just don't like the Clintons.

I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to Hell? -Homer.
Date: February 21, 2009 10:43AM
ajakeski

:-)

Posted by: NeverMind
Date: February 21, 2009 11:08AM
ajakeski

Does that go on the Bingo card?
Posted by: Greg
Date: February 21, 2009 11:54AM
NeverMind
ajakeski

Does that go on the Bingo card?

Something wrong about a Switcher going on the bingo card. Is nothing sacred!?
Posted by: Doc
Date: February 21, 2009 03:40PM
'Heard some of her statements on the radio.

'Seemed clear that the priorities are global economics, the U.S. debt, trade, North Korea and the environment (in that order) with human rights a bit of an afterthought raised just to get the subject out of the way.
Posted by: Dakota
Date: February 21, 2009 04:20PM
Exactly what human rights advances were there in China when we did care about human rights? It has always been just talk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2009 04:21PM by Dakota.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 21, 2009 04:52PM
swampy
The USA seems to
Big lie.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 21, 2009 05:12PM
Has US "my way or the highway" negotiation ever worked? I don't know; maybe it has. But with Cina and human rights and Iran and no nukes before we talk, I don't know if that's the best way. Maybe if we reach accords in other areas, the human rights and no nukes might follow.
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 21, 2009 05:17PM
A good missionary fills bellies before he preaches.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 21, 2009 06:59PM
ajakeski

I have to applaud such total honesty.

TINA FEY: You know what, @#$%& get stuff done. That's why Catholic schools use nuns as teachers and not priests. Those nuns are mean old clams and they sleep on cots and they're allowed to hit you. And at the end of the school year you hated those @#$%& but you knew the capital of Vermont.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2009 07:01PM by $tevie.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 21, 2009 11:24PM
ajakeski

Finally something ajakeski and I can half agree about. I don't like Bill, Hillary now has a chance to stand on her own so I'm open about her.

"Who's more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi
Posted by: samintx
Date: February 22, 2009 07:49AM
[www.latimes.com]

I realize it is blowing in the wind with China on human rights but really...can we just chuck it on the back burner, folks? China has won and so have other countries that don't observe human rights. Just say no and American will go away.

Good work, Hillary! NOT
Date: February 22, 2009 10:12AM
samintx
[www.latimes.com]

I realize it is blowing in the wind with China on human rights but really...can we just chuck it on the back burner, folks? China has won and so have other countries that don't observe human rights. Just say no and American will go away.

Good work, Hillary! NOT

Barely 30 days in office and the Chinese Human Rights issue is all Hillary's fault? look in the rear view window from the past 8 years.
Posted by: samintx
Date: February 22, 2009 10:27AM
NeverMind
samintx
[www.latimes.com]

Good work, Hillary! NOT

Barely 30 days in office and the Chinese Human Rights issue is all Hillary's fault? look in the rear view window from the past 8 years.

Who is saying "It is all Hillary's fault". Don't be so touchy...I am saying she isn't holding up the banner for human rights because it has failed in the past.
Date: February 22, 2009 10:52AM
samintx
NeverMind
samintx
[www.latimes.com]

Good work, Hillary! NOT

Who is saying "It is all Hillary's fault". Don't be so touchy...I am saying she isn't holding up the banner for human rights because it has failed in the past.

Oh please. You just can't take the heat.
Date: February 22, 2009 11:13AM
NM... "Barely 30 days in office and the Chinese Human Rights issue is all Hillary's fault? look in the rear view window from the past 8 years."

You seem to have a mental block. You're thought process doesn't seem to go back more than 8 years. China's observation of human rights has never existed in all its history. What' is so sacred about the last 8 years?

Date: February 22, 2009 11:54AM
read above about the "my way or the highway" attitude that existed. And which never worked.
Date: February 23, 2009 07:15AM
NeverMind
read above about the "my way or the highway" attitude that existed. And which never worked.
What are you talking about? 300,000 dead, bazillions spent, foreign relations in the crapper, but hey! It worked with Saddam. Just ask him!

Posted by: billb
Date: February 23, 2009 11:37AM
[www.youtube.com]
not everyone is partying like it's 1995 right now.

China, the world's top holder of U.S. debt, wants to ensure liquidity and security in its dealings with U.S. treasury bonds.
the money cards beats a full house every time
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: February 24, 2009 09:26AM
Seems to me that we've had a "Clinton" in power at the most elite levels of government for sixteen continuous years. For Hillary, it's been eight years of shaping public opinion and presidential influence as First Lady, then another eight years living on the hog and shaping legislation as a Senator.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 24, 2009 09:34AM
Very astute observation.
Date: February 25, 2009 01:58AM
Mac-A-Matic
Seems to me that we've had a "Clinton" in power at the most elite levels of government for sixteen continuous years. For Hillary, it's been eight years of shaping public opinion and presidential influence as First Lady, then another eight years living on the hog and shaping legislation as a Senator.

How droll. How many years have we had a "Bush" in power on the public payroll? Prescott Bush was elected to the Senate when? About 1950 and was on the public payroll for few years before that.

Date: February 25, 2009 08:32AM
The Kennedy dynasty has probably been around longer.

Date: February 25, 2009 08:52AM
My response was about the Clintons but since you ventured the question the answer is the Bush's have been in public life and sucking at the public @#$%& longer than the Kennedys.

Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: February 25, 2009 09:33AM
RgrF

How droll. How many years have we had a "Bush" in power on the public payroll? Prescott Bush was elected to the Senate when? About 1950 and was on the public payroll for few years before that.

Gee RgrF, I guess your cock is bigger than mine.

Is your line of thinking on this that the Bushes are culpable because they've had influence in government for such a long time? That Chinese Human Rights have not been a priority because of the Bushes?

Do you offer the Bushes as an excuse for sixteen years of Clinton power? As an excuse for their failings?

Are you really telling us that the Clinton's shortcomings are okay because the Bushes have been in position for a longer period of time>
Posted by: Greg
Date: February 25, 2009 09:38AM
Mac-A-Matic
Gee RgrF, I guess your cock is bigger than mine.

We use "dork" around here. Please reference the Bobby Jindal thread.
Date: February 25, 2009 09:42AM
Talk about strawman or putting words in mouth.

I only stated what I thought to be a fact. You extrapolated it to an argument you must be having with your self, because I don't have a clue what you're ranting about.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 141
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020